2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2023

pseudoswede

On 6/12/2023 at 7:16 AM, CDM said:

That is interesting.  So if you know your putting out for a 6 on a PAR 3 do you just pick up?   IE: just write a 5 down and move on?  

That's a little too lax in my opinion. Pipe one swing OB you might as well ride in the cart to the next tee box?

• Haha 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

On 6/12/2023 at 7:16 AM, CDM said:

That is interesting.  So if you know your putting out for a 6 on a PAR 3 do you just pick up?   IE: just write a 5 down and move on?  

Which is pretty insane.  So if someone putts out for a 7 on a par 3 will they automatically adjust it to a 6?  Or will the person who didn't putt out and just wrote down 6 get a stroke advantage because the other person actually wrote down their score?  That can significantly impact  the results! 

2 hours ago, Joelness said:

Welp, at least I controlled my own destiny after two days. Unfortunately I ran into the -6 through 11 buzzsaw today:

image.png.e89a3335c207afa8c0ecaa2f9e550e45.png

So annoying because it's bad luck to run in to this dude on this day and there is literally nothing you can do about it...

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

22 hours ago, TheKrushh said:

So annoying because it's bad luck to run in to this dude on this day and there is literally nothing you can do about it...

I mean..... Go 7 under through 11? :classic_laugh:

Tbh, yes it can be annoying but at least I lost to a great dude and one of my favorite playing competitors I've ever competed with. I was hoping he would carry that on but, he played a lot shittier in the round of 16 and lost yesterday afternoon.

You know what is really amazing?! This kid started playing golf during COVID. When the other three of us found out about that we thought... "maybe this kid really could make it"

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Joelness said:

I mean..... Go 7 under through 11? :classic_laugh:

Tbh, yes it can be annoying but at least I lost to a great dude and one of my favorite playing competitors I've ever competed with. 

We had a similar one last night. 4 under through 8 (I won’t mention the 3 pops he was getting for nine holes). We were lucky to make it through eight holes. 

But likewise. Two really good guys and enjoy playing with them a lot. 

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 1

Ok, got my info packet for Saturday's stroke play.  Here is the rule on max score:

MAXIMUM SCORE: Maximum score is NET DOUBLE BOGEY (Par + strokes + 2).  If you are out of the hole or you hit your max score, please pick up your ball. This will help with pace of play. Record you NET DOUBLE BOGEY on your scorecard. Championship Flight there is no Max score.  

So @CDM not sure if your buddy was in the championship flight, in which case that rule doesn't apply.  But if he was in any of the lower flights, I guess it is what it is.  I don't think that should be the rule for any of the flights (I'd say no max for championship flight and do a max 9 like it used to be for the rest) but that's above my pay grade.  

7 minutes ago, Joelness said:

I was talking to Lewis on Tuesday after getting waxxed and he was saying they are going to setup the CGA Am at 7,800-7,900 at Raindance.

They also decided to make all native lateral penalty areas. It's going to be crazy!

That sounds like a pretty insane setup!  

Speaking of, I'm curious how CGC is going to set up for the U.S. Am.  It is playing so hard right now...it's so lush and soft out there the ball isn't rolling like you normally have.  Probably makes the course play 500-1,000 yards longer.  The rough and native are so thick too that places you could easily hit from or get out of are so penal that even if you can find your ball, you're lucky to advance it.  Played there with a plus handicap/former pro (Joel you'd know the name even if you haven't played with him) and he went 40-34 from the tips, which play around 7,200.  Championship tees can be stretched out to 7,600 I think. If the conditions stay like that for the Am, it should make for some really interesting rounds out there.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joelness said:

I was talking to Lewis on Tuesday after getting waxxed and he was saying they are going to setup the CGA Am at 7,800-7,900 at Raindance.

They also decided to make all native lateral penalty areas. It's going to be crazy!

Sounds like they'll play the Purple Tees (listed at 7,759 on the scorecard). I think that sounds about right. That course plays too short from blues and, on the other hand, the tour tees are pretty insane (there are a couple holes with a forced 290 carry over sage brush scrub, a couple par threes that would play 275 over canyons, etc.).  I think that's also smart to play native areas as lateral hazards. Will be interesting to see how that works out. I think one of the biggest issues would be whether you can say for sure that your ball is in a native area. Probably most of the time it will be obvious, but sometimes you're not sure where exactly it went or went in or if it went in at all(blind tee shot) and it can be surprising because of some of the slopes and hillocks. It should speed up play for sure, but I wonder about rules controversies...

Joel, are you autoqualified? I'm signed up for the one on Tuesday at Collindale, although I'm not sure I will be able to play even if I qualify, but I'd still like to try adn then see what happens.

• Like 2

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

16 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Sounds like they'll play the Purple Tees (listed at 7,759 on the scorecard). I think that sounds about right. That course plays too short from blues and, on the other hand, the tour tees are pretty insane (there are a couple holes with a forced 290 carry over sage brush scrub, a couple par threes that would play 275 over canyons, etc.).  I think that's also smart to play native areas as lateral hazards. Will be interesting to see how that works out. I think one of the biggest issues would be whether you can say for sure that your ball is in a native area. Probably most of the time it will be obvious, but sometimes you're not sure where exactly it went or went in or if it went in at all(blind tee shot) and it can be surprising because of some of the slopes and hillocks. It should speed up play for sure, but I wonder about rules controversies...

Joel, are you autoqualified? I'm signed up for the one on Tuesday at Collindale, although I'm not sure I will be able to play even if I qualify, but I'd still like to try adn then see what happens.

Yeah, Lewis mentioned the purple tees directly but I'm sure he will mix it up from day to day a little. I haven't played the course yet so I can't speak to the blind shots but any time something like that happens everyone ends up taking our best guess and dropping there. To be honest, most people are so scared of confrontation that they don't call people out for real rules infractions. I've struggled with this myself before

I am not exempt. I will see you at Collindale on Tuesday. Hopefully my tee ball is better than it has been the last few rounds or qualifying will be tough. My guess on the cut line is somewhere around 73-74 because Collindale is freakin hard.

• Like 2

Just now, Joelness said:

To be honest, most people are so scared of confrontation that they don't call people out for real rules infractions. I've struggled with this myself before

You would be blown away how many times I've seen outright cheating. Either way, playing CGA golf for the last ~10 years has led me to seeing all sorts of shenanigans. My personal favorites are the mental meltdowns

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joelness said:

You would be blown away how many times I've seen outright cheating. Either way, playing CGA golf for the last ~10 years has led me to seeing all sorts of shenanigans. My personal favorites are the mental meltdowns

That surprises me that there is that much cheating in the non handicapped CGA events.

On 6/15/2023 at 10:58 AM, ASak10 said:

Ok, got my info packet for Saturday's stroke play.  Here is the rule on max score:

So @CDM not sure if your buddy was in the championship flight, in which case that rule doesn't apply.  But if he was in any of the lower flights, I guess it is what it is.  I don't think that should be the rule for any of the flights (I'd say no max for championship flight and do a max 9 like it used to be for the rest) but that's above my pay grade.  

He was in the second flight as he is a 4 hdcp so appears the the rule applies.  Seems dumb IMHO, as a number of people have commented that paying in a "event" is way different then playing with the "fellas". 

Another friend was in the in the championship flight on the same day and he said the rule is you play it out regardless.  Appears both them had no idea of the rule.  

47 minutes ago, Joelness said:

Hopefully my tee ball is better than it has been the last few rounds or qualifying will be tough. My guess on the cut line is somewhere around 73-74 because Collindale is freakin hard.

I’ve been working on my driver every day since the Collindale Invite. I am bound and determined to hit that thing straight. Being very methodical, intentional, and focused. Working on set-up and alignment, and just analyzing each shot and figuring out where my path and face are. Getting a little better. You just have to hit it so, so straight at Collindale. Not so much at RD, with 70 yard wide fairways. They are about as opposite courses as it gets. 

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

2 hours ago, Dancin said:

That surprises me that there is that much cheating in the non handicapped CGA events.

In the end, there isn't that much cheating really. But after ten years I can confidently say there are plenty of cheaters out there. 95% of the time it involves one phrase: "found my ball!"

By far the worst offender was a college kid that came up from Texas for the Wyoming Open. The first time he "found his ball" was a little questionable but the second time I knew he cheated straightaway. The very next hole he walked around while looking for his ball with his hand in the ball pocket of his bag. I had told everyone after the previous hole to watch him like a hawk because I knew he cheated so he finally had to declare a lost ball.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CDM said:

He was in the second flight as he is a 4 hdcp so appears the the rule applies.  Seems dumb IMHO, as a number of people have commented that paying in a "event" is way different then playing with the "fellas". 

Another friend was in the in the championship flight on the same day and he said the rule is you play it out regardless.  Appears both them had no idea of the rule.  

I agree here, Max net double is dumb. If pace is really an issue and you want to set a max, make it quad or minimum triple IMO. Better yet, how about provisionals and make the admittedly knarly native a lateral.

1 hour ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I’ve been working on my driver every day since the Collindale Invite. I am bound and determined to hit that thing straight. Being very methodical, intentional, and focused. Working on set-up and alignment, and just analyzing each shot and figuring out where my path and face are. Getting a little better. You just have to hit it so, so straight at Collindale. Not so much at RD, with 70 yard wide fairways. They are about as opposite courses as it gets. 

Amen brother! The toughest part is you never know what you're going to get the day of. BTW, what is your strategy on 1 at the dale? I used to hit 3w but I started being able to make the right hazard with it so now I'm thinking either 2h or rip driver.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joelness said:

I agree here, Max net double is dumb. If pace is really an issue and you want to set a max, make it quad or minimum triple IMO. Better yet, how about provisionals and make the admittedly knarly native a lateral.

They most definitely stress playing provisionals for the tourneys in every communication and in my experience, most people actually do follow the advice and hit a provisional if it’s anywhere near the native. I do like the native lateral idea, I think that would speed things up for sure. Agreed it should be triple at minimum. They already have three time stamp requirements and penalize not meeting the times with strokes for the whole group, so pace of play should not be an issue with the time penalty in place. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ASak10 said:

They most definitely stress playing provisionals for the tourneys in every communication and in my experience, most people actually do follow the advice and hit a provisional if it’s anywhere near the native. I do like the native lateral idea, I think that would speed things up for sure. Agreed it should be triple at minimum. They already have three time stamp requirements and penalize not meeting the times with strokes for the whole group, so pace of play should not be an issue with the time penalty in place. 

Was a 5+ hour round for us today

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, birdiemachine said:

Was a 5+ hour round for us today

Same for us. I was in one of the last groups out too so I figured it would be slow. We kept up with the group ahead of us, so about all we could do. It was fun though, weather held for the most part, I played like doo doo on the front 9 and slightly better on the back at least. The native areas are absolutely brutal out there! On 1 I should have taken an unplayable but instead tried to hit out of it. The ball somehow went backwards and behind me 😂 Lesson learned. 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 3:34 PM, Joelness said:

BTW, what is your strategy on 1 at the dale? I used to hit 3w but I started being able to make the right hazard with it so now I'm thinking either 2h or rip driver.

I can't get my 3W to the hazard from the black tees, but that being said, I have the same dilemma as you whether to lay up to it or not. If I lay back too much, I can have a 7 iron or even 6 iron in, which is not a lot of fun as that green is pretty small. There is also quite a bit of room left of the fairway at the landing area with driver, so I'm often tempted to tee it up on the right side of the tee box and aim at the left edge of the fairway, but I have gotten in trouble with hitting it too far left into some thick grasses or trees. I don't know, man, it's a tough decision. I think my scoring average has been better when I lay up to the hazard. So go like 275 off tee, 175 to green, try to start off with two solid swings and a stress-free situation and play yourself into the round. Nothing worse than looking for a ball over there in the left first thing with your heart pumping wondering if you're going to find it and if you do, what kind of punch out you're going to have.

• Like 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

23 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

I can't get my 3W to the hazard from the black tees, but that being said, I have the same dilemma as you whether to lay up to it or not. If I lay back too much, I can have a 7 iron or even 6 iron in, which is not a lot of fun as that green is pretty small. There is also quite a bit of room left of the fairway at the landing area with driver, so I'm often tempted to tee it up on the right side of the tee box and aim at the left edge of the fairway, but I have gotten in trouble with hitting it too far left into some thick grasses or trees. I don't know, man, it's a tough decision. I think my scoring average has been better when I lay up to the hazard. So go like 275 off tee, 175 to green, try to start off with two solid swings and a stress-free situation and play yourself into the round. Nothing worse than looking for a ball over there in the left first thing with your heart pumping wondering if you're going to find it and if you do, what kind of punch out you're going to have.

I see you have thought about it just about as much as I have, lol. It's a tough call, but definitely seems like 2h is the more prudent play when first starting your round. In my case, I start on 10 tomorrow so I'll be into the round when I circle back to 1.

Looks like you're about 35 behind me. Come and grab a beer/lunch after if you have time! I still have to burn my $10 gift card from the invitational.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Joelness said:

I see you have thought about it just about as much as I have, lol. It's a tough call, but definitely seems like 2h is the more prudent play when first starting your round. In my case, I start on 10 tomorrow so I'll be into the round when I circle back to 1.

Looks like you're about 35 behind me. Come and grab a beer/lunch after if you have time! I still have to burn my $10 gift card from the invitational.

Yeah hopefully by the time you get around to No. 1 you will know how your driver is behaving. I've been grinding on mine and might have discovered a few things. There are just so many knobs and levers you can twist and pull and adjust... they've just all got to match up at the right time and the right place!  Good luck tomorrow!

• Like 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Yo Joel, sorry I didn't stick around. Tee time was 8:21, turned in my scorecard at 1:35, well past my allotted hooky time. Terrible, terrible slow round. Totally lost focus and interest. Also, I suck. I was 1/14 on fairways. Had an inexplicable lost ball on 5 (my 14th) that did me in. F that qualifier. So brutal. How'd you do?

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

5:14? yikes. Wtf CGA. They should announce at the start that the first group on each nine is expected to finish 9 holes in 2 hours and 20 minutes. Automatic disqualification for going over - head to the parking lot after 9 and gtfo. Every group after the first ones off gets automatic disqualification for coming in 13 minutes or more after the previous foursome. Playing fast under pressure is a skill and should be part of the game.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bobbyclampett!! said:

Yo Joel, sorry I didn't stick around. Tee time was 8:21, turned in my scorecard at 1:35, well past my allotted hooky time. Terrible, terrible slow round. Totally lost focus and interest. Also, I suck. I was 1/14 on fairways. Had an inexplicable lost ball on 5 (my 14th) that did me in. F that qualifier. So brutal. How'd you do?

Ouch, that sucks, saw that score on 5 and wondered what happened. That's not very fun, sorry to hear 😞

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Not bad Joel. Only missed playoff by 2. I pity whoever had to play with this poor soul who shot 114. At least they got 1 par.

https://www.golfgenius.com/tournaments2/details/1426250888?round_index=&player_stats_for_portal=true

It was me! I had to play with him! Super nice guy, but he played comically bad. People were ducking for their lives left and right. He had plenty of time to hit all 114 though as we were waiting on every shot. It was not a good experience. The par was a screaming chip in on the first hole of the day that hit the middle of the pin hard. It was all downhill after that. By the time I lost my ball on 5, I was super over it. 

• Sad 1

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS