2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2023 cobra irons in hand

QuigleyDU

16 hours ago, COmedic said:

Fantastic response, thank you so much. 

Any follow up from those who have Tour/CB split sets? Or are the tours good enough to take a 9-handicap lower? I like my Srixons but V-sole bounce doesn’t help my already shallower swing.

I have the ZX7 mkii and Cobra Tours. Both 4-PW. A full set of the Cobra Tours are definitely good enough for almost any player, but fit is always hard to tell without hitting them off grass. The size of the heads between the two sets are almost identical. Cobra has a more rounded profile and the Srixon is a little more squared off with sharper lines. I don't see a huge advantage with a combo set of Cobra Tour and CB irons unless you A) feel like the soles are too wide on the Tour or B) want a little more ability to flight and work the ball. 

Which Srixon irons do you have?

• Like 2

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Tensei AV White 65X / BRNR 13.5 - Black RDX 6.5 / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / ZX7 Modus 115 X 5-P, SM9 52.12 Modus 115X / SM9 56.10 - PX 6.0 / SM9 60.08 PX Wedge 6.0/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

18 minutes ago, cw1209 said:

I have the ZX7 mkii and Cobra Tours. Both 4-PW. A full set of the Cobra Tours are definitely good enough for almost any player, but fit is always hard to tell without hitting them off grass. The size of the heads between the two sets are almost identical. Cobra has a more rounded profile and the Srixon is a little more squared off with sharper lines. I don't see a huge advantage with a combo set of Cobra Tour and CB irons unless you A) feel like the soles are too wide on the Tour or B) want a little more ability to flight and work the ball. 

Which Srixon irons do you have?

MkII utility 4, and 5-PW zx7 mkII. Had a great day today with the Srixons, course is softening a bit and I’m getting into the turf a bit easier than the past couple weeks. 

6 hours ago, COmedic said:

MkII utility 4, and 5-PW zx7 mkII. Had a great day today with the Srixons, course is softening a bit and I’m getting into the turf a bit easier than the past couple weeks. 

Give the srixons a little more time. The V sole has a bit of a learning curve to it. The impact feel is a little different. To me they feel heavy at impact on a good strike. It's not for everyone for sure, but I think it takes a few rounds to get used to the feel. Once you start trusting the low point and contact, the ZX7 irons are phenomenal. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Tensei AV White 65X / BRNR 13.5 - Black RDX 6.5 / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / ZX7 Modus 115 X 5-P, SM9 52.12 Modus 115X / SM9 56.10 - PX 6.0 / SM9 60.08 PX Wedge 6.0/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2023 at 3:33 AM, Wayside said:

Thanks, guys. 

Snag is, there’s nowhere to try them where I live (tiny British island near France).

I spent many years watching people buy clubs that were too demanding for them, and I’m trying not to be a hypocrite.

I’ve noticed a few tour pros have the full set of Tours in the bag, and I’m thinking that means I should buy the Tours, even though I love the CB. 

I own and really like the tours myself. I was just curios as to what your pro besides Fowler has them in the bag?

4 hours ago, GJR10 said:

I own and really like the tours myself. I was just curios as to what your pro besides Fowler has them in the bag?

Can’t remember who I saw now, but definitely some Euro/DP guys. I think Beef (Andrew Johnston) and Ewen Ferguson both had them at the time. 

Edited by Wayside
  • Like 1

I mean, the tours have conventional lofts, relatively thin soles, look and feel good. In the same bracket as t100 and i230. Just a good package overall with some forgiveness. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

• 4 weeks later...

Order placed through DD... Utility 5 with stock graphite R and 6-P CB with stock KBS $-taper R. GP tour velvet+4 grips. All 1 degree upright. Can't believe I'm cheating on MP20s, will be keeping them anyway. Anyone know turnaround time for orders? It was 2-3 weeks earlier this month.

Cobra Darkspeed X 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R

Scratch 1018 53
Corey Paul 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"

Just now, FredWomble said:

Order placed through DD... Utility 5 with stock graphite R and 6-P CB with stock KBS $-taper R. GP tour velvet+4 grips. All 1 degree upright. Can't believe I'm cheating on MP20s, will be keeping them anyway. Anyone know turnaround time for orders? It was 2-3 weeks earlier this month.

2-3 weeks sounds about right. If nothing in your build is out of stock, it may be quicker. Cobra sent me a shipping notice about a week after I ordered. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 2 months later...
On 2/23/2023 at 10:37 PM, brad1978golf said:

Just picked them up today and they are stunning. 3-w all the MB heads. Can’t wait to try them very soon. Built up the MMT 125tx shafts. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Any playing update on these?

Cobra DARKSPEED LS 10.5°  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD UB 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Cobra King Tour 5-PW  |  LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)
Titleist SM8 50° |   LA Golf L-Series 120 (5)

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

I tried the new P770s against the cobra king tour irons and went back to the cobras. The P770s just didnt feel and perform the same. Also on 3/4 flighted shots the cobras are much better. 

• Like 2

WITB:

Woods: Titleist TSR2 9° Driver, TSR2 3 wood, Titleist T200 2iron

Irons: 2023 Titleist T150 (4-GW)

Wedges: 54D12°, 60M08° Wedges

Putter: Spider Tour Z

Ball: TP5x

• 1 month later...

Ordered my Tours a week or two ago.  They mistakenly sent MB's instead.  Wow...almost worth keeping just to look at.   I need the extra forgiveness of the Tours and they should be here any day.  Considering a GW but holding off until I see the gapping and figuring out what wedges to work off the 44* PW.  

Ping G400 LST 10* Rogue Max 65G S
Ping G400 3 W 15*  Rogue Max 80G S

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-P $Taper 120 S
Odyssey Rossie II 35"

Picked up a lightly used set of lefty Tours 5-GW here in the BST and should have them this week.  Look forward to trying them out, especially at half of new price!  KBS Tour 120 shafts, not my normal shaft but I can usually play about anything and prefer a heavier shaft.  Pretty familiar with the DG S300's so will be interesting to see how the KBS compares.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wondering if anyone here knows the difference in sole width of the King CB vs King Tour vs Titleist T200

Driver: Cobra DarkSpeed LS 10.5° - Ventus Blue 6x
3W: TaylorMade Qi10 15° - Kai'li White 70x
5W: TaylorMade Qi10 18° - Kai'li White 70x
Irons: Cobra King Tour 4-5 Cobra King CB 6-9 Cobra King MB Pw-Gw - Modus 120x
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 TourRack 54 mid & 58 low - Modus 125 Wedge Shaft
Putter: L.A.B Mezz.1 Max w Accra shaft

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/13/2023 at 1:29 PM, maximusppl said:

I would compare the King Tour to the T100S. Same lofts, similar "speed" and "feel" pocket, etc. I would like to note that the length of the new cobra irons appears .25" longer than "standard". For example a 37.25" 7iron compared to 37" in most other manufacturers. 

On 1/13/2023 at 2:13 PM, golfmatt said:

Cobra clubs are always longer due to arccos sensor on the end of the grip

Since Cobra is no longer giving you the Arccos sensors as a no-cost standard option, can someone confirm whether their irons are actually .25" longer than PING, MIZUNO, for example, which both list a 37" 7-iron on their spec sheets?  I was just fitted for King Tour irons, and I have never played over length irons, as I am short with short arms (5'8ish).  I am thinking I need to amend my order to 1/4 inch short.  

Which brings me to my next question. I ordered a lighter shaft than stock (C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff), vs $-taper stock shafts. And the shafts may have a much different balance point. Does Cobra try and honor a swing weight request, or do they just ignore it completely?  Obviously, if I have to cut my shafts down at some point, my swing weight will be affected. I don't want to end up with C-8s. 

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 59/7 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Queen B6- '24 BX

53 minutes ago, wolverine_man said:

Since Cobra is no longer giving you the Arccos sensors as a no-cost standard option, can someone confirm whether their irons are actually .25" longer than PING, MIZUNO, for example, which both list a 37" 7-iron on their spec sheets?  I was just fitted for King Tour irons, and I have never played over length irons, as I am short with short arms (5'8ish).  I am thinking I need to amend my order to 1/4 inch short.  

Which brings me to my next question. I ordered a lighter shaft than stock (C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff), vs $-taper stock shafts. And the shafts may have a much different balance point. Does Cobra try and honor a swing weight request, or do they just ignore it completely?  Obviously, if I have to cut my shafts down at some point, my swing weight will be affected. I don't want to end up with C-8s. 

Cobra from end of grip cap to leading edge is right as stated, 37.25” for 7-iron. I believe they play a true 1/4” longer than Mizuno, and are the same length as standard Titleist. They are also about 1/8”-1/4” shorter than standard length Srixon, which seem to be the longest standard length iron I have come across. I have never ordered custom specs from Cobra so don’t know how or if they adjust for swing weight with different lengths, shafts, etc. 

King Tours are spectacular and I hope you like your custom build as much as I love my stock set with $-taper!

IMG_0337.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg

Edited by COmedic
  • Thanks 1

Just modified my spec sheet with the owner of the proshop. 1/4 short and “customer wants D2 swing weight.”

Queen B6- '24 BX

I’ve ordered from Cobra plenty in past and they take the note of SW and get it close. Done it in woods, wedges and irons 

• Like 1

Driver:  MIZUNO STZ-230 (11.5) - Ventus Blue Velocore 6s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Utility: T.B.D.

Iron:  MIZUNO PRO 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Proto 125 F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow (34.5)
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

11 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

I’ve ordered from Cobra plenty in past and they take the note of SW and get it close. Done it in woods, wedges and irons 

I realize it’s often a crapshoot. Mizuno had mine all outta wack. Cleveland was absolutely perfectly dead on for some custom wedges. 

Queen B6- '24 BX

3 minutes ago, wolverine_man said:

I realize it’s often a crapshoot. Mizuno had mine all outta wack. Cleveland was absolutely perfectly dead on for some custom wedges. 

I’ve been lucky so far I guess, but I almost always have a non stick order and they’ve adjusted Sw…mainly can tell by the diff weights/and weighing in woods and the few irons “felt” heavier then stock ones. 

• Like 1

Driver:  MIZUNO STZ-230 (11.5) - Ventus Blue Velocore 6s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Utility: T.B.D.

Iron:  MIZUNO PRO 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Proto 125 F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow (34.5)
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

34 minutes ago, Tingy said:

Anyone know what is the lengths on the King Tours compared to standard Srixon ZX7 length? 

Says 37,25" on a 7 iron on Cobras website. 

Is Cobra actually longer than other manufactures, or do they measure differently? 

From above:

Cobra from end of grip cap to leading edge is right as stated, 37.25” for 7-iron. I believe they play a true 1/4” longer than Mizuno, and are the same length as standard Titleist. They are also about 1/8”-1/4” shorter than standard length Srixon, which seem to be the longest standard length iron I have come across. I have never ordered custom specs from Cobra so don’t know how or if they adjust for swing weight with different lengths, shafts, etc. 

3 hours ago, COmedic said:

From above:

Cobra from end of grip cap to leading edge is right as stated, 37.25” for 7-iron. I believe they play a true 1/4” longer than Mizuno, and are the same length as standard Titleist. They are also about 1/8”-1/4” shorter than standard length Srixon, which seem to be the longest standard length iron I have come across. I have never ordered custom specs from Cobra so don’t know how or if they adjust for swing weight with different lengths, shafts, etc. 

Thanks. Just measured my std length srixon zx7 7-iron, which comes in at 37, 40".. But it says 37" on the spec chart.. Very confusing.. 

Anyone in here has tried both Modus 120 S and KBS $-taper 120 in the new Cobras? 

If so, any noticeable differences in weight feel? 

Thanks. 

Edited by Tingy

35 minutes ago, Tingy said:

Thanks. Just measured my std length srixon zx7 7-iron, which comes in at 37, 40".. But it says 37" on the spec chart.. Very confusing.. 

Anyone in here has tried both Modus 120 S and KBS $-taper 120 in the new Cobras? 

If so, any noticeable differences in weight feel? 

Thanks. 

Very different shafts imo especially in feel. Would suggest a demo on those for sure. Modus 120 should spin and launch higher you and “feel” more lively 

1 hour ago, southpaw72 said:

Very different shafts imo especially in feel. Would suggest a demo on those for sure. Modus 120 should spin and launch higher you and “feel” more lively 

I play Modus 120 X now, and I love the profile. It just feels a bit too heavy for me in my ZX7's. I have tried the $-taper 120 in a mizuno 223 fitting head at std. length. 

I need 0,5" over. 

Being left handed just limits the options at demos a lot. 

The normal KBS Tour is probably the one that is most similar to Modus 120 in the KBS line, when it comes to feel, right?

On 1/7/2024 at 10:58 AM, Tingy said:

The normal KBS Tour is probably the one that is most similar to Modus 120 in the KBS line, when it comes to feel, right?

Thats what i found the last fitting i did.

Edited by Yzmerf

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9°@11° Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
Cobra King Tour 5-G Project X LS120 6.0  

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Shaft and head combos are interesting. The two shafts that apparently work the best for me are the Modus 115 and C-Taper Lite.  I hit the MP-243 with Modus 115 head-to-head against the King Tour with CTL. Modus 115 felt just a tiny bit more plush (smooth).  Couldn't feel much (if any) difference in weight. While I do wish that Cobra offered the Modus 115, as they provided me with just a touch more spin -- at leas tin the 243 head -- the C-Taper Lite (with King Tour head) produced the tightest dispersion on Trackman. I actually hit my first three shots, and when we looked at the dispersion circle, I only saw two dots. Two of the shots were exactly on top of each other. Yet, because I am such a Mizuno loyalist and was curious as to what kind of on-course performance I would see between the two, I caved yesterday and bought a lightly used set of MP-223 with Modus 115. I am waiting on my King Tour order. 

Edited by wolverine_man

Queen B6- '24 BX

On 1/6/2024 at 10:45 AM, COmedic said:

Cobra from end of grip cap to leading edge is right as stated, 37.25” for 7-iron. I believe they play a true 1/4” longer than Mizuno, and are the same length as standard Titleist. They are also about 1/8”-1/4” shorter than standard length Srixon, which seem to be the longest standard length iron I have come across. I have never ordered custom specs from Cobra so don’t know how or if they adjust for swing weight with different lengths, shafts, etc. 

King Tours are spectacular and I hope you like your custom build as much as I love my stock set with $-taper!

IMG_0337.jpeg

IMG_0340.jpeg

Well, I just measured my standard length Pro 225 irons, and they measure 37.25 for a 7 iron. I think Mizuno must measure their irons before the grip is installed, in this case a Golf Pride MCC Black White, which almost always seems to have a 1/4 inch grip cap every time I have measured them. Can anyone with stock spec Mizuno and Cobra irons chime in on whether they are the same length? May be too late to make any changes, but I just wanted to get this right. 

* EDIT: Also, screw this forum for feeding my OCD incessantly, lol. 

Edited by wolverine_man
  • Like 1

Queen B6- '24 BX

2 hours ago, wolverine_man said:

Well, I just measured my standard length Pro 225 irons, and they measure 37.25 for a 7 iron. I think Mizuno must measure their irons before the grip is installed, in this case a Golf Pride MCC Black White, which almost always seems to have a 1/4 inch grip cap everything time I have measured them. Can anyone with stock spec Mizuno and Cobra irons chime in on whether they are the same length? May be too late to make any changes, but I just wanted to get this right. 

* EDIT: Also, screw this forum for feeding my OCD incessantly, lol. 

I posted the measured length of the Cobras, so it sounds like they are the same as Mizuno