2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Specific Masters question

For those who have been and didn’t stay within walking distance to the course…how bad is the parking experience? Contemplating staying about 20-30min away but fearing that will also be an hour of sitting in a parking lot just to get to the parking lot.

Appreciate any experience and advice - staying within walking distance just isn’t feasible for our group this year.

1 hour ago, regiwstruk said:

For those who have been and didn’t stay within walking distance to the course…how bad is the parking experience? Contemplating staying about 20-30min away but fearing that will also be an hour of sitting in a parking lot just to get to the parking lot.

Appreciate any experience and advice - staying within walking distance just isn’t feasible for our group this year.

1. It will depend what day you go.

2. I didn’t find it too bad. We were also arriving as soon as the gates open. If you showed up at 9 or 10am your experience could be very different. I want to say it was 20-30 mins wait for us. Seemed longer due to our excitement levels but not bad. Not near as long as the gift shop lines lol! 

• Like 2

I am staying in Orangeburg, SC as I have a ticket for the Wednesday practice round. By Google Maps, that will just over 1.5 hour drive to Augusta National. Is that a reasonable place to stay or should I look for something closer? I tried to find something that appeared close enough to get there in the morning but far enough away to not cost a fortune for a two night stay.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Just now, kerila07 said:

Last time we attended a few years ago before covid we parked early and the security gates in the parking lot let people in 30 mins to an hour before the stated gate opening time you can’t get on the course before the actual gate opening time but you can shop while waiting for the course to open.

This was a Monday practice round it may be different in actual tournament days.

2 hours ago, TM_HOYER said:

I am staying in Orangeburg, SC as I have a ticket for the Wednesday practice round. By Google Maps, that will just over 1.5 hour drive to Augusta National. Is that a reasonable place to stay or should I look for something closer? I tried to find something that appeared close enough to get there in the morning but far enough away to not cost a fortune for a two night stay.

The closer the better but only you know what reasonable is. How much are you willing to pay? How far are you willing to drive? Do you plan on having many drinks on the course? Do you get stiff after being in the car for 2 hours? 

Even if it’s an 1.5-2 hour drive there’s nothing stopping you from getting there first thing in the morning. Just requires leaving earlier in the morning. 

Based on my limited experience, you very well may be able to still find a place very near or in Augusta. This depends a bit on your travel schedule but assuming you’re just looking for lodging Tuesday and Wednesday night that may be doable. 

Arriving in the parking lot is easy. Leaving takes time if there is course closure due to rain (pretty common, but still not super likely) or on a day where there is a common ending time, like Wednesday after the par three or Sunday. The other days the coming and going tends to spread out more.

As for where to say, make sure to build in time to enjoy the Masters scene in August after the round. There are a number cool places to go hang out after the round and maybe even run in to a few notable people.

Edited by 2bGood

41 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

The closer the better but only you know what reasonable is. How much are you willing to pay? How far are you willing to drive? Do you plan on having many drinks on the course? Do you get stiff after being in the car for 2 hours? 

Even if it’s an 1.5-2 hour drive there’s nothing stopping you from getting there first thing in the morning. Just requires leaving earlier in the morning. 

Based on my limited experience, you very well may be able to still find a place very near or in Augusta. This depends a bit on your travel schedule but assuming you’re just looking for lodging Tuesday and Wednesday night that may be doable. 

I am most wondering if the drive that I think will be less than a 2 hour drive to Augusta National is actually going to be a lot longer or dangerous back roads. I am driving from Central Florida so looking for a balance in getting to where I am staying for the night and getting to the Masters. On paper, Orangeburg seems to meet what I am looking for but asking if someone that knows the area can confirm.

Callaway Chrome Soft

11 hours ago, TM_HOYER said:

I am most wondering if the drive that I think will be less than a 2 hour drive to Augusta National is actually going to be a lot longer or dangerous back roads. I am driving from Central Florida so looking for a balance in getting to where I am staying for the night and getting to the Masters. On paper, Orangeburg seems to meet what I am looking for but asking if someone that knows the area can confirm.

Orangeburg is a good spot. Columbia would have more options but adds 30min to the trip. Also- parking is very convenient and easy to get in and out. It’s The Masters. They’ve thought of everything. Whether you park in one of the ANGC lots or one of the many private side lots getting in and out of town is super easy.

If you do stay in Orangeburg it’s 4 lane highway all the way to Augusta if you take I26 to I20W and getting to the course from I20 is easy but 278 is not bad and is shorter.

Edited by JRSc
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JRSc said:

Orangeburg is a good spot. Columbia would have more options but adds 30min to the trip. Also- parking is very convenient and easy to get in and out. It’s The Masters. They’ve thought of everything. Whether you park in one of the ANGC lots or one of the many private side lots getting in and out of town is super easy.

If you do stay in Orangeburg it’s 4 lane highway all the way to Augusta if you take I26 to I20W and getting to the course from I20 is easy but 278 is not bad and is shorter.

Thanks for the info. Looking at the prices in Columbia compared to my reservation in Orangeburg, I will keep what I have. I made my reservation the same day as I bought my Masters ticket. As expected, the room prices are a lot higher now. Also thanks letting me know about US 178. I was wondering about that route since it is a lot shorter and can avoid Columbia rush hour traffic.

Edited by TM_HOYER

Callaway Chrome Soft

Thanks, all. We were in “walking distance” which was still about 30min one way and kinda became a pita during the Tuesday rainout. Think we’re gonna try driving and parking this year. Doesn’t seem too bad.

Staying within a more comfortable walking distance is cost prohibitive for us this year. 

• 2 months later...

We got there 45 minutes before the gates opened, no traffic, easy parking.  Hung out in the car for a little bit and drank our coffee and listened to music.  Went and lined up ~20 mins before the gates opened.  Would do it the same way if I was lucky enough to get tickets again.  It is worth getting up early for.  

• Like 1

There is also a good sized merch tent near the back of the property. There are a couple sets of steps you would go up back by 16 tee that will get you there. It’s not as large but if you find yourself back that way throughout the day it’s worth a stop. No lines when we went. 

Crowds for the main merch area seem to come and go throughout the day. The biggest line of the day was without a doubt first thing in the morning. We went around noon and it wasn’t bad. No one in my group had issues finding sizing or what they needed but we also were going for gnomes or anything like that.

Whenever you decide to go set a meeting place for your group. It’s a madhouse in there. Pay to ship your goods home. It’s right outside the merch area. Best decision I made all trip. 

• Like 1

Everything at ANGC is run like a well oiled machine. Parking is easy and well organized. I assume you will arrive before the gates open so you will have plenty of time to park in the provided parking areas. 

We arrived slightly before gates were due to open with no issues at all. Walked up to the gates to find that they weee open early. Very little line to get in.

Perfection

22 hours ago, CCTxGolf said:

Everything at ANGC is run like a well oiled machine. Parking is easy and well organized. I assume you will arrive before the gates open so you will have plenty of time to park in the provided parking areas. 

We arrived slightly before gates were due to open with no issues at all. Walked up to the gates to find that they weee open early. Very little line to get in.

Perfection

No cell phones allowed on property - are AGNC parking lots safe enough to leave a phone in the car (glove box) or do they have a "cell phone check in" location?

4 hours ago, colby1 said:

No cell phones allowed on property - are AGNC parking lots safe enough to leave a phone in the car (glove box) or do they have a "cell phone check in" location?

Im assuming the lot would be safe enough. They do have a “tech check” (believe that was the wording) right before you enter the gate. You check your phone, they give you a ticket, and you pick it up when you exit the gates for the day. Very easy to do. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, colby1 said:

Parking lot is safe IMO. It’s all handled by ANGC so there is no room for shenanigans in their lots etc. that I could see. They aren’t just parking you behind the Lowe’s in West Oakland if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, colby1 said:

Grew up in Augusta and have been 3 times as an adult and have never heard of anyone having any issues with their vehicles in the ANGC lot. Just make sure you lock your doors and tuck away valuables, but there are a fair number of lot attendants that seem to scare off any intruders. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experiences with the "cheap" eco-motels in the area?

Normally wouldn't volunteer to stay at a Super-8/Motel 6/Comfort Inn... but those are kind of the options this week. Curious what the crowd and quality is like during Masters week? I assume mostly golf travelers and not your typical type crowd that would frequent such places just off the interstate?

Last time stayed in Atlanta and booked a car service but may try to stay in Augusta this week.

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

Fortunate enough to snag Wednesday tickets this year.  Got to the course around 7:30AM, and took about 10-15 minutes in traffic to get parked.  Walk to the course wasn't too bad from where we were.  Only regret is not getting there earlier as we didn't realize the merchandise tent opened before the gates to the course did.  Would have been good to get there early and knock that out, instead spent the first hour and half or so shopping, checking in our purchases, and grabbing concessions.  

Left the course at about 4:30PM and had essentially zero wait in traffic exiting the course.