2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2023 Hilton Grand Vacations Tournament of Champions (Jan 19 - 22)

Argonne69

15 hours ago, 18majors said:

Nelly needs to win to have any chances at all and both you and I know how difficult it is to win a tournament; Annika Sorenstam has a winning percentage of 23.7% and Tiger Woods 22.8%.

Nelly could win this week and could possibly be #1 next Monday; but like last year it could flip back to Lydia before Lydia tees off at Saudi Ladies International.

With the recent club change.   I would be impressed, if she place top 10 this week..

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, postfold said:

I doubt that the gimmick bothers the players a great deal, they're used to pro-ams.

The best thing Mollie could do for this event is to put it somewhere else on the calendar, or at least surround it with another event or two.  I don't blame Asia-based members in particular one bit for not wanting to spend the money and take the time to fly to Florida for a one-off event with a mediocre prize pool.  Rationalize the schedule Mollie!

Yeah, I just caught some of golf today and they mention the schedule.  It seems the Top players aren't happy with the schedule and want a longer off season.  You're right the timing of this event isn't smart, there's basically a month off and then the Asian swing.  It actually worse for lower ranked players and those who just got their cards and wanna hit the ground running, they won't be starting play until March without sponsor exemptions.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Yeah, I just caught some of golf today and they mention the schedule.  It seems the Top players aren't happy with the schedule and want a longer off season.  You're right the timing of this event isn't smart, there's basically a month off and then the Asian swing.  It actually worse for lower ranked players and those who just got their cards and wanna hit the ground running, they won't be starting play until March without sponsor exemptions.

I assume the availability of the course is the main factor, but there's really no reason not to hold off until mid-February. Two weeks before the Honda would be fine. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

25 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

With the recent club change.   I would be impressed, if she place top 10 this week..

I dunno. I know money is a big factor, but would a pro really switch out their entire bag if they weren't comfortable with the new sticks? It's not like Nelly was a lifelong Titleist player. I don't see an issue with the driver or woods. Irons may need an adjustment period. Wedges should be fine. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I dunno. I know money is a big factor, but would a pro really switch out their entire bag if they weren't comfortable with the new sticks? It's not like Nelly was a lifelong Titleist player. I don't see an issue with the driver or woods. Irons may need an adjustment period. Wedges should be fine. 

She's a pro, I doubt there will be big issues.  Brooke shaving 2 inches of her driver actually got her straighter lol.  I think if you see any issues, it will be with the dispersion of the misses.  I noticed after the change Brooke's misses where much worse.  So, I think Nelly and Brooke won't be much different than last season, but their misses could probably get them in more trouble than the misses with clubs they were used to.

• Like 3

Nice TV coverage along with streaming..

TV TIMES (all times Eastern)

Thursday, Jan. 19 – 12-3 p.m., Golf Channel

Friday, Jan. 20 – 12-3 p.m., Golf Channel

Saturday, Jan. 21 – 12-3 p.m., Golf Channel

Sunday, Jan. 22 – 2-5 p.m., NBC

STREAMING ON NBCSports.com, golfchannel.com, NBC Sports App, and Peacock

All the news and tournament action surrounding the Hilton Grand Vacations Tournament of Champions can be accessed at any time on any mobile device and online through the help of Golf Channel’s Live Stream.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, postfold said:

I doubt that the gimmick bothers the players a great deal, they're used to pro-ams.

The best thing Mollie could do for this event is to put it somewhere else on the calendar, or at least surround it with another event or two.  I don't blame Asia-based members in particular one bit for not wanting to spend the money and take the time to fly to Florida for a one-off event with a mediocre prize pool.  Rationalize the schedule Mollie!

Why not add LET winners since they're affiliated anyway? I'm sure those gals would appreciate an event in Florida a couple weeks before they get started. Linn Grant anyone? 

• Like 1

The Celebrity List = almost 2x the number of LPGA pros... 

so "+1" on @MagicClassic407's suggestion w.r.t. LET winners? And/or any non-LPGA member Major winners?

(the Final Field/ Full-Listing = gets truncated when posted to this Forum... need to click the tweet Link to view the additional ~8 players not shown e.g. Blair O'Neal, Larry the Cable Guy, Mardy Fish, Larry Fitzgerald etc).

42 minutes ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Why not add LET winners since they're affiliated anyway? I'm sure those gals would appreciate an event in Florida a couple weeks before they get started. Linn Grant anyone? 

Edited by JungleJimbo

47 minutes ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Again, I think that they really can't add too many more players *if* they wish for this to remain a Pro-Am mixed event.  They're playing January and its still a very short day (even in Florida), and each group has at least one Am in some, two Ams.  So, more pro's would require more groups and more Ams -- and they currently sit with 31 groups already - starting on both the front and back nines.  

But, I like your idea @MagicClassic407 about allowing the LET winners to also sign up for the event, just do it on a seeded basis.

2023 HGVTOC - First-Round Groupings.p1466832432_2023HGVTOC-First-RoundGroupings.jpg.4044db2d10e6884f6fe2a43865ea56c6.jpgdf

Edited by Golf Dino
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

Again, I think that they really can't add too many more players *if* they wish for this to remain a Pro-Am mixed event.  They're playing January and its still a very short day (even in Florida), and each group has at least one Am in some, two Ams.  So, more pro's would require more groups and more Ams -- and they currently sit with 31 groups already - starting on both the front and back nines.  

But, I like your idea @MagicClassic407 about allowing the LET winners to also sign up for the event, just do it on a seeded basis.

The LPGA website is showing the not-yet-updated 2022(?) field, i.e. on the "Pairings" page? 

Guessing the LPGA website intern is still struggling to update the details.

https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/hilton-grand-vacations-tournament-of-champions/pairings 

..Edit: Needed to use VPN to see the full-field listing here. https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/hilton-grand-vacations-tournament-of-champions/tournament-entries 

image.png.b843bc974eca5b9d35c9f772299a56c0.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

Just now, Stooch said:

Doesn't sound like Mollie is making very many friends lol.

1 minute ago, ChronicSlicer said:

But she's secured so many new sponsors and raised the purses, it's worth getting dressed out of your trunk and peeing behind a tree, right?

It's good that Beth-Ann reported this ... hopefully will lead to improved conditions for the LPGA players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Golf Dino said:

2023 HGVTOC - First-Round Groupings.p 123.07 kB · 0 downloads /cdn-cgi/mirage/f71c4a97395c953f1a223cabc0ccddaf8f1a0931b0da945dad92eda200145490/1440/cdn-cgi/mirage/f71c4a97395c953f1a223cabc0ccddaf8f1a0931b0da945dad92eda200145490/1440/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/1466832432_2023HGVTOC-First-RoundGroupings.jpg.4044db2d10e6884f6fe2a43865ea56c6.jpg df 123.07 kB · 0 downloads

Alfonso Ribeiro and DK...how many times we gonna see "the Carlton" in one day?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1