2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Diamond rings…

southpaw72

I don’t need the warnings from you married men (or once were 😂) on the decision lol. I feel safe with this one.

My question is in 2023 I know it’s become common place to do everything online but I need some vouches on these sites. I don’t live in an area with many storefront options and the local store doesn’t carry anything over 2 carats. She wants a lab diamond as the conflict free marketing is certainly working on everyone and I’m not complaining about the savings lol.  Has anyone used some of these lab jewelers? Blue Nile? Brilliant earth? James Allen? Rare carat? There’s tons of good reviews out but maybe I’m just nervous about spending so much sight unseen and want some vouches from “friends”. Thanks everybody

Seriously, lab or not, these things are expensive. Make the drive, the time invested is a heck of lot more valuable than wondering if you got hosed.

Say you buy it from “Bob” for $7000, after you have it I would then have your chosen one go anywhere but “Bob” to get it appraised of Bob doesn’t give you the Gemology appraisal.

My office is next to a jeweler, they tell us about people who got taken all the time.

Edited by Petethreeput

Yeah what kind of drive are we talking about to go somewhere and buy one? Do you live in Tristan De Cunha or something where you gotta take a boat to get to an airport?

It sounds like she knows she's getting a ring so this isn't a surprise? (BTW, if she's super into conflict free materials don't let her research where the cobalt in her phone comes from!)

If she knows she's getting a ring and it's not really a surprise, why not make a road trip out of it. Take her for a weekend into the city where she can see the ring in person and you can make a weekend of it. It will be a much better engagement story to tell people anyway. This can actually make a pretty big difference too when they see something live

My wife had an idea of what kind of ring she wanted (obviously a lot of carats, because , women) , but when we went live (i did what i'm recommending to you) she actually chose a smaller, clearer one because she liked the look a lot better, and we put some smaller diamonds on the band.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

17 hours ago, tiderider said:

Interestingly, the jeweler next door to us has said diamonds are not an investment.  All the hoopla about gem appreciation is overblown.  The jeweler did an appraisal for it and gave me a number, and when I asked how much he would give me for the gem he said, "About $5,000." which is less than half the amount it was purchased for in 1923 accounting for inflation.

The whole system is rigged.  The major producers withhold stock to increase the sale price, and as this article notes, the sanctity of a diamond ring is fiction.

Having said all of this, my wife has a diamond ring because... well just because.  

Does your gf know anything about diamonds, or just that she wants something lab grown that's over 2ct? Only reason I say that is when you really get to looking at comparisons, a GIA Excellent diamond in the 1.4-1.6 range absolutely mops the floor with a poorer graded, larger diamond. 

Many couple these days go and pick every little detail out together...that was not my approach. I asked enough questions to determine what my wife wanted, then I did the leg work within my budget. She wanted a solitaire on platinum so there was no hiding a bad stone. I ended up buying through Blue Nile, as I was able to select the individual stone for the ring and view copies of the gemstone certificates for each. In doing so I was able to find a stone that had almost no inclusions despite its rating. In person it looks completely flawless. 

Wherever you end up buying, try to prioritize cut. Color is a ripoff (you can go G-H with platinum, especially) and clarity is subjective...excellent cut will give the visual pop needed for the ring to actually be noticed. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

On 1/31/2023 at 7:31 AM, GooseHook said:

Does your gf know anything about diamonds, or just that she wants something lab grown that's over 2ct? Only reason I say that is when you really get to looking at comparisons, a GIA Excellent diamond in the 1.4-1.6 range absolutely mops the floor with a poorer graded, larger diamond. 

Many couple these days go and pick every little detail out together...that was not my approach. I asked enough questions to determine what my wife wanted, then I did the leg work within my budget. She wanted a solitaire on platinum so there was no hiding a bad stone. I ended up buying through Blue Nile, as I was able to select the individual stone for the ring and view copies of the gemstone certificates for each. In doing so I was able to find a stone that had almost no inclusions despite its rating. In person it looks completely flawless. 

Wherever you end up buying, try to prioritize cut. Color is a ripoff (you can go G-H with platinum, especially) and clarity is subjective...excellent cut will give the visual pop needed for the ring to actually be noticed. 

I’ve done the most research lol I’m a nerd about stuff and especially when it comes to money.  From cut to, clarity and color and all that. I’ve decided g is the lowest in color and vvs2 for inclusions to be 10000% sure it’s eye clean. The cut gets confusing to me because I guess technically ovals are considered a “fancy cut” and not actually required a cut grade but is given a polish and symmetry grade. So that’s been a little misleading to me as each dealer can call them a “blue Nile excellent cut” or what not. 

On 1/29/2023 at 8:21 AM, MtlJeff said:

Yeah what kind of drive are we talking about to go somewhere and buy one? Do you live in Tristan De Cunha or something where you gotta take a boat to get to an airport?

It sounds like she knows she's getting a ring so this isn't a surprise? (BTW, if she's super into conflict free materials don't let her research where the cobalt in her phone comes from!)

If she knows she's getting a ring and it's not really a surprise, why not make a road trip out of it. Take her for a weekend into the city where she can see the ring in person and you can make a weekend of it. It will be a much better engagement story to tell people anyway. This can actually make a pretty big difference too when they see something live

My wife had an idea of what kind of ring she wanted (obviously a lot of carats, because , women) , but when we went live (i did what i'm recommending to you) she actually chose a smaller, clearer one because she liked the look a lot better, and we put some smaller diamonds on the band.

Well I’m over 6 hours from one of the online retailers that have a storefront option where you can send the ring and approve or disapprove once it’s built. It’s not the end of the world but with my job and this time of year a 12-14 hour round trip is tough. And taking a 4 flights to get there doesn’t save anytime lol. I’m 4.5 hours from a typical “big city” with a mall or more than one option.

She obviously knows it’s coming but that’s about it as far as when and where and whatnot. It’s just not something I want to get wrong and my phone knows what’s going on and I keep getting pounded with the online big retailers. We’ve been to two stores in person just shopping and have yet to see what I’m looking at online in person but everyone’s willing to do an online order so it seems like it’s 6 one way half dozen the other, other than the ability to cut out the middle man and still have a 30-60 day return period if the ring isn’t quite what we were after upon delivery. 

On 1/29/2023 at 6:48 PM, tiderider said:

That’s cool and all but we’re talking about women here lol. I’ll be sure to tell her when she gets a fake stone smaller than her sisters that tiderider said it was a scam and she needs to relax 😂😂😂.

Don’t hate the player hate the game lol 

• Haha 2

Personal experience with Blue Nile was fine. That is where we bought my band (traditional gold men's ring). I did however, purchase my wife's ring from an actual jewelry store. Fortunately, we have a family member who owns one and got a great deal.

As far as buying a lab diamond... The only thing I would say is you have to consider long term value. Although they are "conflict free" there are a lot of people out there who prefer a natural diamond. Meaning if you or her ever wanted to upgrade to a bigger diamond the resell value on the lab grown ones won't be nearly as high as their natural counterparts

Congrats man! Marriage can be a wonderful thing - and I hope that it is for you and your partner.

My wife and I split the cost of "our" engagement ring. Solitaire setting, $200 out the door.

Could be fake. Could be real. Might be a chip from a Miller High Life bottle. Who knows?

All I know is that she wears it on her finger and we've been married for almost 20 years.

• Like 4

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

8 minutes ago, southpaw72 said:

I’ve done the most research lol I’m a nerd about stuff and especially when it comes to money.  From cut to, clarity and color and all that. I’ve decided g is the lowest in color and vvs2 for inclusions to be 10000% sure it’s eye clean. The cut gets confusing to me because I guess technically ovals are considered a “fancy cut” and not actually required a cut grade but is given a polish and symmetry grade. So that’s been a little misleading to me as each dealer can call them a “blue Nile excellent cut” or what not. 

Did not know that about ovals. Just make sure to look at the GIA certificate before purchasing, the ratings are standardized and you should be able to see a diagram of the inclusions that give the clarity rating. The BN diamond that my wife wears was a "signature" cut which they re-branded years later, the GIA cert just says it's "excellent."

FWIW I don't think you'd even be able to see anything in the VS1 or VS2 grades either. Those ratings are reserved for inclusions seen at 10x magnification. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Currently in the process of upgrading my wife's diamond. Decided on a lab due to price. Have done all the online research, looked at all the online retailers, etc, etc. Being old school, I wasn't comfortable ordering online without at least seeing some for myself. I as well don't live in the most populated area of the world, so going "shopping" for labs wasn't going to happen. I do have an independent jewelry store in town so I just happened to ask if they could get some labs to look at. I was pleasantly surprised when the owner said sure I'll make some calls. A week later I get a call that they've received 6 stones in with the attributes I was looking for. 

I am purchasing from my local store with confidence.  

Bottom line, you may be surprised from what a local store may do.

• Like 3

Callaway AI Smoke 9* 💎💎💎 Ventus TR Blue 6S Patriot Edition

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 2024 Ventus Blue 7S

Callaway Epic Flash 7W Ventus Blue 7X

Titleist 718 AP2 4-9 TT AMT S300

Titleist Vokey 46, 50, 54, 60

Scotty Cameron Custom Dual Balance Notchback

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 9:47 AM, southpaw72 said:

That’s cool and all but we’re talking about women here lol. I’ll be sure to tell her when she gets a fake stone smaller than her sisters that tiderider said it was a scam and she needs to relax 😂😂😂.

Don’t hate the player hate the game lol 

i post in an advisory role only, and am not liable for damages ... carry on & good luck ... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2