2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

Another nice roadster was at the range today. Great colors.

Great wheels.

PXL_20230806_233115083.jpg

• Like 2

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

6 minutes ago, Mrgreen36 said:

Made it another day with all my fingers. 

Not a fan of running small parts. Not for the finger loosing aspect, but small part can explode and its hard to firmly hang onto them. 

20230807_191905.jpg

20230807_163522.jpg

20230807_163710.jpg

Screenshot_20230807_222455_Gallery.jpg

Small parts and a router especially or even a saw at times still scares the bejesus out of me even after years of doing it

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

We stayed at Rusacks my first time and played Crail, Old, New, Jubilee and then a few in Glasgow.

Then we stayed at Scores in StA and I played Old about 20 minutes after landing.  A round at Carnoustie the next day then we drove around looking at castles like Stirling and Doune.

We stayed in a really small town and they were hosting a Dominos tournament.  Somehow the Mrs got exceedingly buzzed with a visiting competitive dominos team (all of them over 60) and she had a great time.  Yep, competitive elderly domino players enjoy a good throwdown.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

Then we stayed at Scores in StA

That's where I stayed!

image.jpeg.a09651d8a07fc6dfbd4807ca86714db9.jpeg

Wasn't a bad view to wake up to. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Who is guilty of the oil spots?

Probably someone with a Shovelhead or Panhead Harley---- Hey I can joke owned and rode both for years.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

4 hours ago, touch said:

UNCA's Athletic Scholarship Scramble is two weeks from today.

The plans were for the team to play a round together this afternoon at Connestee Falls.

When I got up this morning there were weather warnings already out for the afternoon. I texted the team and told them I was cancelling golf and instead if anyone would like to join me I was going to spend a few hours at the range before the weather moved in. Young A our #4 player said, " I'll be there LP for sure, let's get some practice in." So in 87* sunny,sticky, very hot weather the two of hit 2 buckets each and spent 45 minutes practicing our short game. Wow it was steaming out there (second photo). So that made three days in a row that I practiced. My game needs it. I have shot 4 out of the last 5 rounds in the low 80's. I know I have been scoring a little better than my average for weeks now and was probably due for a reality check. All of a sudden I have been missing so many more fairways and greens than normal. I am a player who needs practice to keep his game sharp, and due to busier days at work combined with hotter temps in the late afternoon I have not had the energy to go to the range for quite a while. My ball striking has definitely suffered from a lack of practice. 

We were home safe when the nasty stuff hit. The AVL area was under a tornado watch for 8 hours. The line of severe storms stretched from Atlanta to Big Fish Land. The Atlanta airport halted all flights for hours.

No I didn't get to play today, but I was grateful to get in some decent practice.

Tomorrow at a tad past 11 AM I am playing where I work with three members. I will see then if my three days of range work helps me to nail more fairways and greens. 🏌️‍♀️

storms  (1).jpg

Aaron at the range.jpg

Yeah I was watching it on my local news and we were supposed to get it around 10 or so last night. Now I was asleep so if we got it I do not know yet. Will take the big boy out for his morning walk and constitutional around 5 or so.

Do not put it down as such yet but I am experimenting with my Broomhandle Ping Putter I have had for 15 years. I never did anchor and putted with it pretty decent back in the day. Did like a 3 hr practice session with it yesterday before it got too hot. I got used to it again after about an hour or so. What I always liked about it was the fact I was always deadly from 5 feet in with it and I got that way after the first hour. 5 feet in is what has been killing me. I am striking the ball good and my bump and runs and wedges are back to snuff just my short putts are killing me. Last time I used it was like 10 years ago on a bet. We had played Litchfield CC in Pawleys Island and I had ran the tables on those guys with it. If we play today it is going in the bag. If I end up going back to the broomstick I may pull the trigger and spec out a LAB like Lucas Glover and Adam Scott. I know my putting has gotten me to a bad attitude. I have gotten where I do not care where I hit my approaches because I figure I am going to miss a makable putt anyhow. My putting is making me want to quit the game period and buy another Hot Rod or take up fishing. Even though my distance is limited now I can still play position golf. I am hitting the ball too good to be a 15 hdcp and everyone in the league says it. Good example Saturday afternoon in the 9& Dine. It was wet wet and the air was heavy. I had to hit quite a few 7&9 woods on approaches where I normally hit say a 6 or 7 iron. My ball striking was on it. Our team was -3 which with the sharp pencils involved we did not win anything. The President of our Men's League had a team and tied us. He remarked that I must have putted well. I told him naah but my wife and the other lady on our team did. I do not care that much on winning per say because the club invites some people from the North end who have sharp pencils. It does not mean I do not try but we come for the food and for my wife to play golf with me. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Probably someone with a Shovelhead or Panhead Harley---- Hey I can joke owned and rode both for years.

That's what I was gonna say. Fancy Nancy cars are like Harleys too , if they ain't leakin',they ain't runnin'. 😅

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

8 minutes ago, touch said:

More 8 magic on 8-8. I selected cart #48.

It's unbelievable weather for golf today in Asheville. It's currently 71* with low humidity and 10-15 mph wind. The high temperature will only be 79*.

Perhaps the Golf Gods sent me this dandy day knowing I have our member-guest tournament coming up this weekend and will be busting my tail. 

16915064048317683307484090390654.jpg

16915071436217632125586894165710.jpg

I am SO envious of your weather, LP! We’re still in the 100s and humidity is creeping back up. It was tolerable with low humidity. My next round is Thursday and forecast shows lower humidity than today, but slightly higher than the past couple of weeks. High of 106°, but we’ll be ending our round just as temps break 100°. Our normal group hasn’t played together for a few weeks, so it will be fun to get back together again.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, touch said:

It's unbelievable weather for golf today in Asheville. It's currently 71* with low humidity and 10-15 mph wind. The high temperature will only be 79*.

Perhaps the Golf Gods sent me this dandy day knowing I have our member-guest tournament coming up this weekend and will be busting my tail. 

I was hoping for 88° for you. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

A very comfortable 72* currently under sunny skies.  Forecasted to be ~ 65* for the 8:25 tee off tomorrow with the usual suspects.  Haven't swung a golf club in two weeks do to a vacation.  Could be interesting.  

Just say'n.  

• Like 4

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I always like to hear about the anticipation and the locations of travel.  What can I say?  I would love to travel more and it brings back the memories if I have been, or if I haven't been it registers as a place to go.

@TiScapea while back was joking about the 23 year old who wants experiences.  When I was 23 I had the experience of rent being over 50% of my net pay and begging for overtime so I would have that extra money to put gas in the car.  But as a seasoned old man with wife and kids I realize there is a pretty big world out there and I really want to see it.  But I want to see it on my terms.  For example, I have no interest in eating bugs or crapping in a box so that removes a number of travel options.  I also want to have something we like to do available, which further focuses my travel targets.  Then I have a job and a budget which also limits my options.

So I guess what I am saying, if you travel let me/us know what you think of it.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

I also want to have something we like to do available, which further focuses my travel targets.

Our greatest challenge is finding something that we'll both enjoy doing together. We both like hiking and skiing, so those are great trips. But my wife doesn't golf (or any sports) and I can't get her interested in golf destinations, even when there's plenty of other stuff to do. She's fine with me taking guys' trips, but overseas to a spot like Ireland would be a serious ask. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, touch said:

Lucky you---- We did get rain last night and it was CPO but the course was halfway playable. According to the weather gurus all the rain was done at 6:00 AM---- BS!!!---- It started sprinkling on us at 7:30 when our group started on #10. Quit after a couple of holes then on #16 the thunder and lightning came and the bottom fell out. We scrambled to the club house after taking shelter for a while. I was playing with my buddy the Pres of the Association and our Handicap/ Comp Director and they called it off. I told them I was glad to be playing with them that I had dragged the broomstick out and did not want anyone to think I was anchoring. I putted pretty well with it and was pretty much satisfied. Both guys said I was no where near anchoring and if I continued to use it and anyone said anything they needed to see one of them.

Now the sun is out and the heat index is supposed to be around 107 this afternoon. In a few I am going to drag out my stuff and dry it off and let it sit on the covered porch and dry out

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

I am SO envious of your weather, LP! We’re still in the 100s and humidity is creeping back up. It was tolerable with low humidity. My next round is Thursday and forecast shows lower humidity than today, but slightly higher than the past couple of weeks. High of 106°, but we’ll be ending our round just as temps break 100°. Our normal group hasn’t played together for a few weeks, so it will be fun to get back together again.

... Been brutal hasn't it? Got a little stretch this week of under 110* temps but climbing back up to intolerable temps over the weekend. Got appointments today but finally playing Wed-Fri and then back inside and the A/C.  

Screenshot2023-08-06at12_57_23PM.png.7df0b176fd280db3236422ff2a92b1ff.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra Aerojet 20* 7 wood* ... Kai'Li 70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/49*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

39 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

I always like to hear about the anticipation and the locations of travel.  What can I say?  I would love to travel more and it brings back the memories if I have been, or if I haven't been it registers as a place to go.

@TiScapea while back was joking about the 23 year old who wants experiences.  When I was 23 I had the experience of rent being over 50% of my net pay and begging for overtime so I would have that extra money to put gas in the car.  But as a seasoned old man with wife and kids I realize there is a pretty big world out there and I really want to see it.  But I want to see it on my terms.  For example, I have no interest in eating bugs or crapping in a box so that removes a number of travel options.  I also want to have something we like to do available, which further focuses my travel targets.  Then I have a job and a budget which also limits my options.

So I guess what I am saying, if you travel let me/us know what you think of it.

I guess I was lucky in life I chose like 3 professions that let me travel. The trucking end allowed me to see all of this great country and get paid well for it. The golf end I did see most of Florida and the mid Atlantic. Racing I saw a lot of the Carolinas and Georgia with a few other places mixed in. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

I was playing with my buddy the Pres of the Association and our Handicap/ Comp Director and they called it off. I told them I was glad to be playing with them that I had dragged the broomstick out and did not want anyone to think I was anchoring. I putted pretty well with it and was pretty much satisfied. Both guys said I was no where near anchoring and if I continued to use it and anyone said anything they needed to see one of them.

... Another reason I am all for bifurcation. I think professionals that need to make putts for their living should not be able to anchor. It can be a cure for the yips, or at least reduce them and Pro's should feel all the pressure there is, especially in a Major. But I think Am's should be able to anchor all they want. It doesn't give you any advantage unless you have the yips. I have tried it and personally find it much more difficult than conventional putting. And of course there is the physical limitations issue and anyone suffering from any limitations where bending over causes a problem should be able to anchor. Thankfully, the rules at least let you use a broomstick so you can stand tall if you have any physical limitations but as you know free holding that long wand is more difficult than just anchoring it against your chest. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra Aerojet 20* 7 wood* ... Kai'Li 70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/49*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

I guess I was lucky in life I chose like 3 professions that let me travel. The trucking end allowed me to see all of this great country and get paid well for it. The golf end I did see most of Florida and the mid Atlantic. Racing I saw a lot of the Carolinas and Georgia with a few other places mixed in. 

Me too. I traveled all over the U.S. and was fortunate to play some phenomenal golf courses, usually on the company dime because I’d take customers. That’s the only part of having a job that I miss!

• Like 2

I guess I have been incredibly lucky as well.  I have been all over the country and the states I haven't been to don't hold much appeal to me.  I do remember stopping to get gas in SC and the Palmetto bugs were all over the gas pumps and the lights.  That was a huge "no thank you" for me, those bugs are huge and it has scarred me in regards to where an old man like me wants to retire.  In fact, that is why I have to be a snowbird so those things aren't just flying around and landing on me.  I can think of 8 states I have never been to, and I am not including waiting for a connecting flight in the airport, those don't count.  I had to have done something in the state.

I don't have any more bucket listers in the states, or the one's that pop up are inaccessible to me (ANGC and Pine Valley).  I have fly fished just about wherever there are salmonids, though there is a draw to Mongolia for Taimen but it's crazy expensive and not sure I love fishing that much, but it keeps popping up in my tiny mind.  And @Triple LindyI have dragged my wife all over for some golf excursions and she never wants to go, but when I bring up a guys trip to Scotland, Ireland, etc. everyone says what you are saying, I can't go without my wife.  Of course, my wife who has been is like, please don't make me go somewhere and you play golf for a couple of days, those are long boring days...

• Like 2

I think that forecast may be optimistic, @chisag. I hope not.

We may be back up to the 119 territory late next week. Sigh. Teed off at 6:03 yesterday and almost fell out by 9:00.

People don’t realize that it’s pretty humid here in the AM. Courses water in the AM just before dawn, so there like a 10-foot layer of sauna.

And then there’s the radiating heat off asphalt that makes it even hotter than the air temperature measured from a rooftop.

/ whine

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

I'd been to most major cities in the US prior to joining/hitting the road with F&D - only one I'd NOT been to was NOLA, oddly enough. It's been a lot of fun seeing places I'd have not really had any particular reason to ever go to. For the most part, even the crappy spots have SOMETHING cool to see or eat. Though, you do learn that not everywhere is particularly comfortable around a group of large, heavily tattooed men in black hoodies 😂 Though maybe the funniest reaction was this sweet old lady who was our waitress at the Milwaukee Cracker Barrel we stopped in. She was just fascinated by us ... and as nice as could be. 

I do wanna get back see more of the UK and especially more of Europe. Would love to get back to Central America - did a Costa Rica trip about 10 years ago and simply fell in love with the place.  Buddy of mine and his wife just did a cruise through the Greek isles and the photos were incredible. 

Hopefully once Ms. aenemated's kiddo is off in college we can get to more of that. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

53 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Another reason I am all for bifurcation. I think professionals that need to make putts for their living should not be able to anchor. It can be a cure for the yips, or at least reduce them and Pro's should feel all the pressure there is, especially in a Major. But I think Am's should be able to anchor all they want. It doesn't give you any advantage unless you have the yips. I have tried it and personally find it much more difficult than conventional putting. And of course there is the physical limitations issue and anyone suffering from any limitations where bending over causes a problem should be able to anchor. Thankfully, the rules at least let you use a broomstick so you can stand tall if you have any physical limitations but as you know free holding that long wand is more difficult than just anchoring it against your chest. 

It may be because I am a big guy but when I used it like 15 years ago anchoring seemed to bind me up so I did not anchor then. And yes at times free holding I tend to let it wander. But overall It was good for me years ago. The reason I quit using it years back was because I got tired of hearing the crap like "they ought to ban those things" Now days I do not care and the league I play in no one will say anything to begin with. One of my buds in the league who is a good guy and a great stick himself told me it should ease the pressure on my back and I should be able to practice putting more. I am back getting used to it but I did well today with it for the 6 holes I played. I need to sharpen up on my lag putts some but that was no issue because I had like 3 putts of like inside of 4 feet today and made every one center cut. I seem to be more steady with it and releasing the head better towards the hole

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Triple Lindy said:

Me too. I traveled all over the U.S. and was fortunate to play some phenomenal golf courses, usually on the company dime because I’d take customers. That’s the only part of having a job that I miss!

In my heavy haul days we used to have to lay over on the weekends with over dimensional loads. I laid over quite a bit around Greenwood Indiana met some great folks. I bought a partial set of 53 Spalding Top Flite 3 5 7 and 9 irons and a persimmon driver and 3 wood from a Pro at that little country muni course. I think I gave him like $25 for that set in a ratty canvas bag. I did buy from the same Pro a brand new Wilson JP 56* Sw and a new Anser putter. I played quite a few courses rather well with that old 8 club set up. I have some stories from those days. One of my favorites was over in West Memphis Arkansas. We would go to the dog track there on Friday Night. Met some guys that played golf and they invited me to play in their Saturday 4 ball. Basically you put your name in a hat and they drew partners for the day. Put $10 in the hat and play away. Usually we played like 36 a day after drawing partners for the second 18. Wide open fun. Yeah I have a lot of fun golf memories from the heavy haul days. My wife had fun too she rode on the cart with me and drank beer

• Like 2

• GwrxMod changed the title to The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)
  • GwrxMod changed the title to The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)