The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

What is Ironic is my running partner Stush worked for Lawson for years. When I set up shops and maintenance programs Lawson was the Fastner products I insisted on. I actually used Lawson products on my race cars. My bud Stush and I met on a course down here and he was wearing a Lawson hat and we started talking and became friends and golf buds.

You're a smart man Stu!😄 I ran a car and truck repair shop in 85 and 86 and I bought all my fasteners from the Lawson guy. We still to this day have the best bolts on the market if you want to pay for them. Anyway, the Lawson guy said they were looking for someone to sell for them in NW Illinois and wondered if I would be interested. Hell, I had never sold anything in my life but cars were getting more and more computers on them and the owner wouldn't spring for the necessary test equipment so that made it hard to work on them. It was the best move I ever made even though we also starved to death the first couple of years. I went from a weekly paycheck to straight commission sales which was tough. It's been a great company to work for but I'm getting burned out. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

7 hours ago, aenemated said:

I've noted my Hollywood ad days many times. 10 years of my life! And for a good bit of it, I was just a nerd for hire. Meaning freelance. Meaning 1099s.

For a good programmer, I make a pretty terrible accountant. Ms. aenemated is a freelancer and every time she asks me about money stuff I'm like "Don't take financial advice from me." 

Basically, I wasn't very good at paying my taxes for a while. One morning years back when I was in my little cave in West Hollywood, I woke up and walked up to Gil Turner's for a 6 pack and a pack of smokes. That's how most days started back then. Swiped my debit card and ... declined. Was like "WTF? There's like 10 grand in that account." Happened to have cash on me so I put up a $20 to the clerk who knew me well and walked on back home to pull up my bank info.

Did so to see my balance was exactly $0. Totally freaked out, called the bank and learned ... it was a debit from CAFTB. I call THEM and was like "Hey, yeah um ... I got rent to pay. I got a car payment to make. I kinda need food. Can we work something out to get some of my money back?"

"We worked it out already. Pay your taxes next time." And hung up.

I don't lend people money except for ONE guy. And I think conversely, he'll only lend money to one person. 

"Dude um ... need to borrow a couple grand."

"Why?"

"Franchise Tax Board."

"OH. Gotcha."

I've gotten that exact call from him 😂

Wow.  And they wonder why the old timers here have cash in jars.  They still do by the by.  About 5/6 years ago one of the larger peach families lost its patriarch here.  In the compartment behind the seat of his el Camino was $112k in old hundred dollar bills.  That was just one stash.  

• Like 1

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Wow.  And they wonder why the old timers here have cash in jars.  They still do by the by.  About 5/6 years ago one of the larger peach families lost its patriarch here.  In the compartment behind the seat of his el Camino was $112k in old hundred dollar bills.  That was just one stash.  

And big brother is trying to make it even easier to drain your account if they want with central banking. If they get their way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

19 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

You're a smart man Stu!😄 I ran a car and truck repair shop in 85 and 86 and I bought all my fasteners from the Lawson guy. We still to this day have the best bolts on the market if you want to pay for them. Anyway, the Lawson guy said they were looking for someone to sell for them in NW Illinois and wondered if I would be interested. Hell, I had never sold anything in my life but cars were getting more and more computers on them and the owner wouldn't spring for the necessary test equipment so that made it hard to work on them. It was the best move I ever made even though we also starved to death the first couple of years. I went from a weekly paycheck to straight commission sales which was tough. It's been a great company to work for but I'm getting burned out. 

Had a guy working for a small company selling bolts and nuts come by my race shop one day. Now I was not no Holman Moody or Nichols engineering. This guy I admire his drive was independent and I knew what he was doing. He was one of those buying bolts of dubious quality marked with Grade 8 markings etc from overseas mainly Taiwan. I told him I trusted Lawson had never had a failure. Told him I could not take chances on a flywheel coming loose at 8000 RPM even though I used a full trans blanker. I also used Lawson tapered wheel studs told him I could not take a chance on a stud breaking at 100 MPH or more in a turn

• Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

5 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Had a guy working for a small company selling bolts and nuts come by my race shop one day. Now I was not no Holman Moody or Nichols engineering. This guy I admire his drive was independent and I knew what he was doing. He was one of those buying bolts of dubious quality marked with Grade 8 markings etc from overseas mainly Taiwan. I told him I trusted Lawson had never had a failure. Told him I could not take chances on a flywheel coming loose at 8000 RPM even though I used a full trans blanker. I also used Lawson tapered wheel studs told him I could not take a chance on a stud breaking at 100 MPH or more in a turn

We used to sponsor all 14 of the Bigfoot trucks. They used our stuff on everything.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

Good Wednesday morning, Loungers!

337404586_161404956440689_3520196494157978193_n.jpg

• Haha 4

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

Toura Golf CB 5-PW Recoil 95 regular

Toura Golf 48° and Corey Paul wedges 52° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

8 hours ago, aenemated said:

I've noted my Hollywood ad days many times. 10 years of my life! And for a good bit of it, I was just a nerd for hire. Meaning freelance. Meaning 1099s.

For a good programmer, I make a pretty terrible accountant. Ms. aenemated is a freelancer and every time she asks me about money stuff I'm like "Don't take financial advice from me." 

Basically, I wasn't very good at paying my taxes for a while. One morning years back when I was in my little cave in West Hollywood, I woke up and walked up to Gil Turner's for a 6 pack and a pack of smokes. That's how most days started back then. Swiped my debit card and ... declined. Was like "WTF? There's like 10 grand in that account." Happened to have cash on me so I put up a $20 to the clerk who knew me well and walked on back home to pull up my bank info.

Did so to see my balance was exactly $0. Totally freaked out, called the bank and learned ... it was a debit from CAFTB. I call THEM and was like "Hey, yeah um ... I got rent to pay. I got a car payment to make. I kinda need food. Can we work something out to get some of my money back?"

"We worked it out already. Pay your taxes next time." And hung up.

I don't lend people money except for ONE guy. And I think conversely, he'll only lend money to one person. 

"Dude um ... need to borrow a couple grand."

"Why?"

"Franchise Tax Board."

"OH. Gotcha."

I've gotten that exact call from him 😂

Man. I’m thinking on this and getting all kinds of mad.    How on earth with tactics like this do those idiots ( California)  run on a budget deficit????? 

reminds me of being a credit card merchant.  And how they have access to your deposit account ….. someone issues a complaint … they just immediately go to your account and take all the money back. With no notice.  I find this to be untenable…. Which is why I haven’t accepted cards in 10 years.  How does one do day to day business without knowing what’s in the working account?  Madness.

• Like 4

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

20 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

How on earth with tactics like this do those idiots ( California)  run on a budget deficit????? 

You can be expecting a phone call from my man @TiScape at any moment. 😂

JK T😅

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

1 hour ago, braincramp52 said:

We used to sponsor all 14 of the Bigfoot trucks. They used our stuff on everything.

Monster trucks hits close to home.  Seems around here is where a lot of that stuff took off back in the day. Got a monster truck museum here, know a few of the OG guys and remember my dad working on a couple of them when he was a mechanic straightening frames.  Good memories. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Man. I’m thinking on this and getting all kinds of mad.    How on earth with tactics like this do those idiots ( California)  run on a budget deficit????? 

reminds me of being a credit card merchant.  And how they have access to your deposit account ….. someone issues a complaint … they just immediately go to your account and take all the money back. With no notice.  I find this to be untenable…. Which is why I haven’t accepted cards in 10 years.  How does one do day to day business without knowing what’s in the working account?  Madness.

I take absolutely zero digital payments.  

I use to be a people person, but people ruined that for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Haha 2

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

45 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

You can be expecting a phone call from my man @TiScape at any moment. 😂

JK T😅

Oh I’m ready !  Just a difference in perspective.  but I love the guy.  

Perspective example is Like Dave Ramsey …. ( largest eye roll possible ). 

I know a low level executive who has a boss who sent 5 of his managers to a Dave R dinner.  You paid $20k to have dinner at Dave’s house.  And have private interview time with him after.  The main takeaway from this was “ pay cash for everything “. Ok Dave.  Sure thing.  I’ll start doing that once my $20k a plate dinners kick in.  Complete tool.  

• Haha 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Mr G and @bladehunter be like

IMG_2943.jpeg

🤣 🍻 

No lie. I just got off the phone , and get again.  

guy has a stereo going in this afternoon.  One of these deals that looks factory in a 67 but it’s modern inside.  Has a disc changer outlet.  4 Chanel’s and I have an amp and sub for the trunk.  All hidden.   So he calls and says “ I want to add blue tooth to play my satellite tunes … ok. No problem I said “ I’ll text you the price chbage in a sec “.  Guy says “ so it will cost more “.  Omg man.  This phone call is costing us All more !!!!! I got golf posts to make  😂…    So I text him the $150 part he needs plus the labor to run the wiring and microphone for the blue tooth phone function…. He text back “ that the best option “. Which is code for “ that’s too expensive “.  I just didn’t reply.  In about 30 min he calls me.  And says “ can it be done cheaper. “. I said.  Nope.  And I need to know before noon to get the part to put it in today.     It’s nuts. It’s like the old guy who buys the corvette then stops driving it on 20k miles because the tires cost too much.  I’m going to start playing this to people who act this way. 

• Haha 3

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

54 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I know a low level executive who has a boss who sent 5 of his managers to a Dave R dinner.  You paid $20k to have dinner at Dave’s house.  And have private interview time with him after.  The main takeaway from this was “ pay cash for everything “. Ok Dave.  Sure thing.  I’ll start doing that once my $20k a plate dinners kick in.  Complete tool.  

I struggle with that guy and Suze Orman.  Anyone who has made huge money giving out advice to people like their word is gospel makes me sad.  There are so many nuances to financial health and I feel like these two just make these sweeping generalizations and then sell a "program" to achieve it.  Unfortunately, no one can get blood from a turnip, and I feel like these two have forgotten (or more likely probably never knew) what that means and they are mildly/fully condescending to folks not in their bracket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

guy has a stereo going in this afternoon.  One of these deals that looks factory in a 67 but it’s modern inside.  Has a disc changer outlet.  4 Chanel’s and I have an amp and sub for the trunk.  All hidden.   So he calls and says “ I want to add blue tooth to play my satellite tunes … ok. No problem I said “ I’ll text you the price chbage in a sec “.  Guy says “ so it will cost more “.  Omg man.  This phone call is costing us All more !!!!! I got golf posts to make  😂…    So I text him the $150 part he needs plus the labor to run the wiring and microphone for the blue tooth phone function…. He text back “ that the best option “. Which is code for “ that’s too expensive “.  I just didn’t reply.  In about 30 min he calls me.  And says “ can it be done cheaper. “. I said.  Nope.  And I need to know before noon to get the part to put it in today.     It’s nuts. It’s like the old guy who buys the corvette then stops driving it on 20k miles because the tires cost too much.  I’m going to start playing this to people who act this way. 

I had a guy that wanted the strongest bolts made for a project one time. When I told him how much they were he says, Holy Crap! Is there anybody more expensive than you?! I said, not that I know of, how many you need?😁

• Haha 2

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

46 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

guy has a stereo going in this afternoon.  One of these deals that looks factory in a 67 but it’s modern inside. Has a disc changer outlet. 4 Chanel’s and I have an amp and sub for the trunk.  All hidden.   So he calls and says “ I want to add blue tooth to play my satellite tunes … ok. No problem I said “ I’ll text you the price chbage in a sec “.  Guy says “ so it will cost more “.  Omg man.  This phone call is costing us All more !!!!! I got golf posts to make  😂…    So I text him the $150 part he needs plus the labor to run the wiring and microphone for the blue tooth phone function…. He text back “ that the best option “. Which is code for “ that’s too expensive “.  I just didn’t reply.  In about 30 min he calls me.  And says “ can it be done cheaper. “. I said.  Nope.  And I need to know before noon to get the part to put it in today.     It’s nuts. It’s like the old guy who buys the corvette then stops driving it on 20k miles because the tires cost too much.  I’m going to start playing this to people who act this way. 

You do realize that “modern” and “disc changer”  hasn’t been an accurate statement since 2005???

Edited by TiScape
  • Haha 3

On a completely different note, imagine we are sitting in the lounge after a round with our beverage of choice discussing what brings us together.

P3P had been on a heater for a hot minute.  Hitting the ball better than he has in a few years, I don't think I have been this low for a hot minute.  Maybe just before I developed the chip yips when I tried to learn the one hop stop chip and being told to accelerate through the ball.  One can imagine the fiasco that ensued.  I went from a 2 to a fluctuating 5/6 depending on the ways of the system and what dropped off.

At the end of May I was a 4.8, June a 3.7, July 3.6, August 3.2, and I am down to a 2.9 (up from 2.8 after a 73 fell off).  I don't even know who I am at this point.  My hitting range is toward the top if that makes sense.  Say I flush a 7i and it flies 150 and if I am not swinging well it flies 140-145, well I have been playing the 150 for the past few weeks and things have been working out.  There are even times when I might be playing to fly the 7i 155 because the swing is just working that day and I am hitting longer than I had been.

Don't worry though, my last round was started with great expectations and I fired an 8 over, so I might be coming back to earth, but maybe if I can keep myself from being a headcase I can maintain this through the fall.  Who knows?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Wait… did blade’ jus compare me to morons that fall for Dave Ramsey’s BS 🐮💩??? That was a big leap! 😜 or maybe I jus need more coffee ️ 

IMG_4308.gif

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

🤣

When it comes to negotiations on “price” I learned to do it this way…

Me, “For this, I will charge $50,000”

Them, “But there’s people who will do it for $40,000”

Me, “Oh definitely, there’s people who will do it for $10,000”

🤣

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, TiScape said:

You do realize that “modern” and “disc changer”  hasn’t been an accurate statement since 2005???

Oh yea? My retirement is tied up in 8 track tapes!😂

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I know a low level executive who has a boss who sent 5 of his managers to a Dave R dinner.  You paid $20k to have dinner at Dave’s house.  And have private interview time with him after.  The main takeaway from this was “ pay cash for everything “.

... Cash is almost useless in too many places. Went to a Diamondbacks game and tried to pay for my $8 bottle of water with a $10 bill and they said "we don't accept cash" I am running across that more and more. 

• Sad 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

• GwrxMod changed the title to The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)
  • GwrxMod changed the title to The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)