2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno STZ-230 Hybrid

MikeGman

Has anyone recently purchased the STZ hybrid? I purchased mine recently, and came with the adjustment tool but no guidebook or instruction (or carry case).  I also can't find a guide for the hosel settings on the Mizuno site.  Any help is appreciated.  If someone did purchase and get a guidebook I'd appreciate seeing a photo of how the tool came for you. Thanks in advance!

I have never seen a mizuno wrench for a full swing club come in a case or any other manufacturer for that matter. If you google the mizuno quick switch adapter images you will see what you need to to for adjustments. 
As for the STz 230 hybrid, I’d love to hear some reviews on these if anyone is playing them. I order a 2 and 4 to play in place of fairway woods. 

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

4 hours ago, jetmech879 said:

I have never seen a mizuno wrench for a full swing club come in a case or any other manufacturer for that matter. If you google the mizuno quick switch adapter images you will see what you need to to for adjustments. 
As for the STz 230 hybrid, I’d love to hear some reviews on these if anyone is playing them. I order a 2 and 4 to play in place of fairway woods. 

Thanks for the reply, I can see from the photos how this will adjust.

I realize it's been a while since my last purchase of an adjustable club, but my Titleist 910 D2 driver (purchased in 2011) adjustment tool came with a nice zippered case and guidebook.

4 hours ago, MikeGman said:

Thanks for the reply, I can see from the photos how this will adjust.

I realize it's been a while since my last purchase of an adjustable club, but my Titleist 910 D2 driver (purchased in 2011) adjustment tool came with a nice zippered case and guidebook.

Ahh! I do remember getting that nice little pouch and book with the 910 driver! Now companies just give us less and charge us more🤣 So have you hit those bad boys yet? Let us know your thoughts! Also is you need a mizuno wrench id be glad to send you one. I have about a half dozen of them here. 

2 minutes ago, jetmech879 said:

Ahh! I do remember getting that nice little pouch and book with the 910 driver! Now companies just give us less and charge us more🤣 So have you hit those bad boys yet? Let us know your thoughts! Also is you need a mizuno wrench id be glad to send you one. I have about a half dozen of them here. 

Thanks for the offer! I do have one and will get another when my driver arrives. I’ve only hit the hybrid during a fitting session with the Mizuno rep. I hit it really well and it’s replacing the titleist hybrid I’ve had the past 7 years.  If I had some time on the course I’d write a review but the weather isn’t ideal here in central NY. 

1 minute ago, MikeGman said:

Thanks for the offer! I do have one and will get another when my driver arrives. I’ve only hit the hybrid during a fitting session with the Mizuno rep. I hit it really well and it’s replacing the titleist hybrid I’ve had the past 7 years.  If I had some time on the course I’d write a review but the weather isn’t ideal here in central NY. 

I hear ya. I’m hoping to have mine in hand by the second week of March. I’ll check back in with my thoughts. If it performs just a little better than my 2020 CLK it will be money!! 

Any feedback on the stock UST LIN-Q BLUE hybrid shaft? I never heard much about this shaft. 

TaylorMade SIM 9* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5
TaylorMade M6 14* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black HY 90 6.5
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4&5 KBS Tour C-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 6-PW KBS Tour C-Taper S
Mizuno T20 Raw 50-07, 54-08, 58-08 TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade TP Black Cooper Ardmore 3L
TaylorMadeTP5x

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2023 at 1:47 AM, rchera3 said:

Any feedback on the stock UST LIN-Q BLUE hybrid shaft? I never heard much about this shaft. 

Interested in learning more about shaft also. Can’t seem to find spec sheet. Are these stout, tip stiff? I have the clk from 2017/2018 and came with a nice stout speeder shaft. Looking to upgrade to stz230 

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 Atmos Tour Spec Black

3 wood: Callaway Rogue LS Tensei series white

Hybrid: Mizuno CLK Speeder HB

Irons: Srixon z785 Modus3

50: Cleveland zip core 

56: Vokey sm8

60: Vokey sm9

on the mizuno site click on the bottom of the page and it covers the settings.

I have my old CLK and still love them but they are getting old, just bought the new STZ and just need to switch the shafts and will report back. Bu they look awesome

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 KBS Tour Lite 100s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

23 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

on the mizuno site click on the bottom of the page and it covers the settings.

I have my old CLK and still love them but they are getting old, just bought the new STZ and just need to switch the shafts and will report back. Bu they look awesome

Sooo the stock Lin q shaft no good?

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 Atmos Tour Spec Black

3 wood: Callaway Rogue LS Tensei series white

Hybrid: Mizuno CLK Speeder HB

Irons: Srixon z785 Modus3

50: Cleveland zip core 

56: Vokey sm8

60: Vokey sm9

all of the info on that shaft is listed on the site, check the weight, torque and launch and spin

I originally bought the g430 but that was a short lived relationship. I am one of the odd ones that didnt find it consistent.

Went back to the PGA store and put the g430 up against all the new stuff.  STZ was super predictable and I could lay a blanket over shots I was hitting. Launch came up, peak height went up and spin came up ~500 rpm vs the ping. Carry was consistent ~5 yards more too.

Stock LINQ shaft feels awesome, isnt loose at all, probably one of the only clubs I will leave the stock shaft in. I have a 19* so didnt mind dropping down to the 75g shaft. My TSi2 4H I kept the 90g tensei white shaft in it.

Most people wont try the STZ, but IMO its the best out there this year.

• Like 4

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

Mizuno and Srixon make awesome irons, and people need to realize they have improved there wood lines as well

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VA_Astra said:

I originally bought the g430 but that was a short lived relationship. I am one of the odd ones that didnt find it consistent.

Went back to the PGA store and put the g430 up against all the new stuff.  STZ was super predictable and I could lay a blanket over shots I was hitting. Launch came up, peak height went up and spin came up ~500 rpm vs the ping. Carry was consistent ~5 yards more too.

Stock LINQ shaft feels awesome, isnt loose at all, probably one of the only clubs I will leave the stock shaft in. I have a 19* so didnt mind dropping down to the 75g shaft. My TSi2 4H I kept the 90g tensei white shaft in it.

Most people wont try the STZ, but IMO its the best out there this year.

Would second this, I don’t think the shaft is terrible by any means. I’ve got the 22 lofted down to 19.75 to open the face and it launches high bombs. 

1 hour ago, zrheisler22 said:

Would second this, I don’t think the shaft is terrible by any means. I’ve got the 22 lofted down to 19.75 to open the face and it launches high bombs. 

I played with loft and even upright setting on mine. Windy days I'll take it -1 rest of the time standard.

I love how it's not closed like many other hybrids out there!

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 6-U Dynamic Gold Mid

MG4 54/58 DG

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

i still have my original CLK from 20 years ago and many clubs have tried to take it out of the bag and none have beat it out. Until now, the STz is definitely an upgrade

I finally received my 16 and 22 deg hybrids this week and got to take them out in a captains choice tournament. Not the ideal time to test them out but it’s all I could do. I play the 2 hybrid at 15* and 1” long. The 4 hybrid I play at 20* and 3/4” long. I hit the 2 twice today and it was amazing! I’ve been playing the CLK as my 3 wood for the last year and it has transformed my long game. Early results with the STz 230 look like it will be a seamless transition. But the STz sounds so much better and feels amazing! I hit the 4 once from 225 out and landed on the back of the green leaving a 45’ putt for eagle. And I made the putt! So I know it’s not much but these are looking great so far! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firehole said:

Has anyone hit both the STZ 230 and the most recent CLK? Tough finding comparisons of the two right now. 

I have the 2020 CLK and the STz 230 both in 16 deg. So far I’ve only hit the new one off a tee but initial impressions are it feels and sounds better. I still need to try it off the deck to see if it’s as easy to launch. I do know it’s going to be a very underrated hybrid!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

About to try the 4h (22*) STZ-230 hybrid. 

Need to gap between my 19* callaway UW (220 yards) and my 24.5* 5 iron (190 yards)

I've heard good things about both the 2020 CLK and the new STZ. 

Currently playing a G425, so easy to hit but sitting a bit closed at adress, ending sometimes in a hook machine. 

(thinking about the new Srixon Mk2 also)

Edited by AverageFrenchGolfer

Best hybrids I have tested are the Mizuno STZ-230, Ping g425 and Callaway Rogue ST (the MAX is really long, the Pro is a shape I like.)  They all seem neutral to me unless hit off the toe. 

Already have ordered a 230 ST-X 9.5 driver, still deciding on hybrid.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

i have had my 22 for 2 weeks now and i love it. Coming from an old CLK it is definitely an upgrade, more forgiving on off center strikes and feels and sounds better. I loved my CLK and havent found anything better for the past 20 years. 

I like it so much i just order the 19 degree as well. Also the black color is an upgrade and it has zero offset, which is huge for me

3 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Best hybrids I have tested are the Mizuno STZ-230, Ping g425 and Callaway Rogue ST (the MAX is really long, the Pro is a shape I like.)  They all seem neutral to me unless hit off the toe. 

Already have ordered a 230 ST-X 9.5 driver, still deciding on hybrid.

Would you say that any of those four models launched lower than the others? I do like the way the Ping hybrids, the ST-Z 230 and the Rogue ST Pro look.

I’m having a hard time figuring out the spot in my bag between my 7 wood (20.25 degrees loft) and my 5 iron (23 degrees). I’ve been trying a 24 degree TSR2 at 23.25, but it just goes quite a bit too high for me to control it, so right now it’s almost a wasted club and I’m really only using it in unusual situations — like fairway bunkers with bad lies where I need the ball to get up in the air really fast. I’d love to find a 4H around 21-23 degrees that goes 10-15 yards less than my 7 wood, so looking for 205-210ish carry, but just need to keep the flight down a bit.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

31 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Would you say that any of those four models launched lower than the others? I do like the way the Ping hybrids, the ST-Z 230 and the Rogue ST Pro look.

I’m having a hard time figuring out the spot in my bag between my 7 wood (20.25 degrees loft) and my 5 iron (23 degrees). I’ve been trying a 24 degree TSR2 at 23.25, but it just goes quite a bit too high for me to control it, so right now it’s almost a wasted club and I’m really only using it in unusual situations — like fairway bunkers with bad lies where I need the ball to get up in the air really fast. I’d love to find a 4H around 21-23 degrees that goes 10-15 yards less than my 7 wood, so looking for 205-210ish carry, but just need to keep the flight down a bit.

That was clear: Rogue ST Pro launched the lowest and STZ-230 was next. Rogue Max launched high, it carries and carries. 

Another tip. I don’t know how you feel about shiny finishes on the crown but the Mavrik Pro is another excellent hybrid and I found no difference between it and the Rogue ST Pro. I’ve been playing the Mav Pro at 23 degrees and really liking it. The Mav Pro and Rogue ST Pro are so cheap right now on CPO. 

If I get another hybrid it would be at 20 degrees to compete with my 7 wood. That’s why I was also eyeing the other models. I want that one to fly high. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

That was clear: Rogue ST Pro launched the lowest and STZ-230 was next. Rogue Max launched high, it carries and carries. 

Another tip. I don’t know how you feel about shiny finishes on the crown but the Mavrik Pro is another excellent hybrid and I found no difference between it and the Rogue ST Pro. I’ve been playing the Mav Pro at 23 degrees and really liking it. The Mav Pro and Rogue ST Pro are so cheap right now on CPO. 

If I get another hybrid it would be at 20 degrees to compete with my 7 wood. That’s why I was also eyeing the other models. I want that one to fly high. 

Nice, thanks man! I saw the Rogue ST Pro is super, super cheap on CPO at the moment. The Tensei White 85g hybrid shaft is a better fit for me than the lefty options on the Mavrik Pro on there at the moment, so I think I’ll try going that route. I love the matte finish and the shape, too.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

On 3/23/2023 at 7:17 PM, Morry said:

So Interesting this post

I have the STZ 3h and I was Blown away by it thus far......toyed with CLK, stealth hybrids, g425, etc, but always went back to a driving iron 

hit this STZ230 and wow!....

so much so I think the DI is OUT of the bag and it's a 3h for sure for me 215 carry, 230 total type club 

Really toying with grabbing a G430 3h to test against it....loving the driver and fairway in 430 this year so far, so figured....

BUT you hav made me reconsider whether that is worthwhile.....just stick with the unicorn I am now thinking..

any other takes or thoughts are welcome

thanks

So I finally got the g430 3h to test against it yesterday....

remember I love and am gaming the g430 max driver and 5 wood right now

but it was NO Contest against the STZ 230 3h.....just too smooth, hot, forgiving and longer 

sounded / felt better and dispersion was no contest 

This thing is Special 

returned the ping the same day...

ymmv

I have a feeling the 19 hybrid will be finding its way into the bag to replace a trusty Callaway X2 hot pro that's been in that slot for 7-8 years.  The two clubs share the same classic shape which is very important to me and rare to find.  It should provide a bit more forgiveness and distance, which would be ideal.  Only negative is see is that there are few shaft options, with the only 80 gram option being a hzrdus black rdx.  Would much prefer a mid/mid shaft option

Edited by bmyles