2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Probably Going to Skip Kohler

Chanceman

On our upcoming golf trip to the Great Lakes we have decided to pass on the Kohler courses. To pay US$1600 to play those four courses is beyond reasonable, for us at least. Does anyone agree with me? And remember you also have to take caddies and stay there at their very high room rate to get the tee times you want. I know plenty of people treat it as a once only bucket list trip but there is a limit to what is reasonable. And there are many outstanding courses to play at less than half the cost.

• Like 1

Of course, no golf course is really "worth" that in a sense with so many other options.  However, it is one of those places where you are paying for much more than the golf.  The food, American Club, service and setting are all world class.  You won't find much like it in the U.S. especially considering one of the courses has now hosted a Ryder Cup and numerous majors.

It's really a personal decision since money is involved, but hard to be disappointed with Kohler.  It is gorgeous and the courses are ranked in the top 100 for a reason.  

• Like 4

FWIW replay rates are almost 50% off and you aren't required to take a caddie at any of their courses (although they highly recommend you do).

Sure, it's not a bargain golf trip destination, but you can easily find ways to play it for less $$$. Or you can make it a really expensive trip and go all out with all the bells as Whistles (see what I did there 😉) if you want to.

I have gone up for the past 7 years.  And we are going again this July.  Here are a few things to keep in mind that can make the trip a little cheaper.  1) Stay at Inn on the Woodlake instead of the American Club.  2) On Whistling Straits, see if you can book the first "twilight" tee time.  I have gotten this time the last 4 years and have finished 18 each time.  Doing this will save in 2 ways, first you are not required to take a caddy at twilight and second you get a 30% discount for playing at twilight.  3) take advantage of the replay rate and play the cheaper course first.  What I mean by this is, if you play The Irish at full rate, you can pay 'replay' rate on Whistling Straits.  This is a discount of about 30%.  Or play Meadow Valleys first and 'replay' The River course for the same discount.  it does not make it cheap, but will probably save you $300-$400 over the course of 4 rounds.

• Like 3

For our guys golf trip we decided to play The Baths in the early morning, relax and have lunch, then go play first twilight at Straits. I know the Baths is only a 10 hole course and it’s still like $80, but the 2 acre putting green is going to be a blast where we can all play some $ games and just kick off the guys trip. I would definitely try and do a twilight at Straights if you can swing it! 

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

26 minutes ago, st1800e said:

If I went back I’d stick to the Straits and the River.  The other two are fine, but not the same experience as the first two.  
Also check out The Bull at Pinehurst Farms.  Memorable.  

The Bull is hands down my favorite course out there. Unbeatable price, condition, layout. Just an overall great track with a finishing hole that can wreck any scorecard!

• Confused 1

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

My wife and I are doing Kohler as the third leg of a Wisconsin trip we have planned for this summer (Sand Valley and Erin Hills are the first two legs). This will be our first trip to Wisconsin. 

Will it be worth it? Everyone has a different take on perceived value, but I am 100% confident it will be worth the price. Trips like these are bucket items, and memories for a lifetime. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

9 minutes ago, Roody said:

My wife and I are doing Kohler as the third leg of a Wisconsin trip we have planned for this summer (Sand Valley and Erin Hills are the first two legs). This will be our first trip to Wisconsin. 

Will it be worth it? Everyone has a different take on perceived value, but I am 100% confident it will be worth the price. Trips like these are bucket items, and memories for a lifetime. 

I’ve played all of the Kohler courses and they truly are bucket list courses, some more than others. When I tried to book Straits for end of august, the only place available was the American Club resort, which is the most expensive and it required a 2 night stay minimum just to play the one course. So just for the room for 2 nights, it was going to be about $1300. Then another $550 for the round of golf etc. and suddenly the value of it becomes less and less. 

You can definitely play all 4 courses if you’re strategic with your planning, which may require a twilight Straits round or something like that. This year is going to be my 3rd year going to Wisconsin so if anything, I’d say stick with SV and Erin Hills, play some lesser courses, and come back for Kohler at a different time of the year when it isn’t prime. 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

14 minutes ago, Roody said:

Yes it is worth it. The golf is great and last time I was there the rooms and spa were almost worth it by themselves. 

On 3/17/2023 at 12:05 PM, Shipwreck said:

The Bull is hands down my favorite course out there. Unbeatable price, condition, layout. Just an overall great track with a finishing hole that can wreck any scorecard!

Its not close to the Kohler courses. Not great layout, or conditions. Maybe worth playing if you can get a twilight round for $60. 

22 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

Its not close to the Kohler courses. Not great layout, or conditions. Maybe worth playing if you can get a twilight round for $60. 

I respect your opinion, and my position is coming from an out of towner that plays nothing but desert golf courses year round, so seeing things like trees and a lot of grass is already a plus in my book. I never said it was close to the Kohler courses, but the price is definitely a lot more enticing. The last two times I played it (Oct last year and May the previous) the conditions were impeccable. 

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

3 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

I respect your opinion, and my position is coming from an out of towner that plays nothing but desert golf courses year round, so seeing things like trees and a lot of grass is already a plus in my book. I never said it was close to the Kohler courses, but the price is definitely a lot more enticing. The last two times I played it (Oct last year and May the previous) the conditions were impeccable. 

Fair enough. It is a good option for a “cheap” round when in the area. Someone heading there just need appropriate expectations. 

3 hours ago, klebs01 said:

Lol, the Bull hate runs deep!

It's a very good course.  

I would highly recommend it. 

@Roody if you get the chance/makes sense to get in a round, go and make your own mind up!

• Like 2

I would pay that to play for sure. But I also just booked a Pinehurst trip in September that is gonna be at least 3x that cost all said and done.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x