2023 Solheim Cup (Sep 22-24)

18majors

2 hours ago, DuenPhen said:

Bring the Crown to Thailand!

Jeen is defending Walmart in Arkansas this upcoming week.

To the Asian Games, Thailand are sending PK Kongkraphan, Eila Galitsky, and Piano Yubol.

Korea are sending amateurs: Minsol Kim, Jiyoo Lim, and Yeji Park.

And so will Japan: Saki Baba, Mizuki Hashimoto, and Mamika Shinchi.

The entry list: https://info.hangzhou2022.cn/en/results/golf/sport-entries.htm

I'm surprised Malaysia isn't fielding a team, Oon is currently 2nd on the Epson tour this year. 

China is definitely the favorite but Thailand, Korea, Japan, India look strong too. I'll root for HK too since they have Annie's old college teammate in Tiff Chan 

7 hours ago, 18majors said:

The 2023 Junior Ryder Cup will take place three days from Tuesday Sep 26 to Thursday Sep 28; it'll be televised.  Team USA is strong on paper, it includes Gianna Clemente, Anna Davis and Yuna Wilson:

The 2023 Junior Ryder Cup

Not as strong as the 2018 team which had prime Yealimi, Pano, Lucy Li, Erica Shep, Rachel Heck and ofc the beloved Rose. 

2 hours ago, woahnelly said:

I'm surprised Malaysia isn't fielding a team, Oon is currently 2nd on the Epson tour this year. 

China is definitely the favorite but Thailand, Korea, Japan, India look strong too. I'll root for HK too since they have Annie's old college teammate in Tiff Chan 

@woahnelly: Seems like no Malaysian golfers are participating. Their national games selection committee apparently said "you only get the go-ahead to compete in Asian Games, if you're ranked amongst the Top 8 in Asia"(?)

... some quotes from upset golfers/ golf association here: https://www.thesundaily.my/home/gavin-disappointed-golfers-omitted-from-asian-games-squad-NG11350951 

TIL... that the Asian Games athletes ask players to write a super-long bio for the website. (... or some poor Asian Games social media intern(s) have to scrape websites to collate the info?)

Tiffany Chan:

https://info.hangzhou2022.cn/en/results/golf/athlete-profile-n2019428-chan-tsz-ching.htm 

Previous names:

Tiffany Chan Tsz-ching

Hobbies:

Watching films and television shows. (efginternational.com, 23 Oct 2020)

Athlete

Education:

Communications - University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, USA

Languages spoken:

English, Mandarin

Hand:

Right (hkgolfer.com, 01 Jun 2011)

Debut:

Turned professional in 2017

Start:

She began playing golf at age six in Tuen Mun, Hong Kong, China. "I lived in Tuen Mun near the only public driving range in Hong Kong, so I just found myself doing it more and more." (prestigeonline.com, 01 Jan 2023; scmp.com, 12 Jul 2016)

Reason:

Her father took her to the driving range as she was too young to be left at home alone. "I went there when I was about six with my dad and was totally hooked. I've always wanted to be an athlete from childhood. I played basketball and table tennis, and I swam and I loved cycling and running. But once I picked up a golf club, I just really liked it and my hand-eye coordination was really good." (prestigeonline.com, 01 Jan 2023; efginternational.com, 23 Oct 2020; scmp.com, 10 Jul 2014)

Memorable:

Qualifying for the LPGA Tour. (efginternational.com, 23 Oct 2020)

Hero:

Northern Irish golfer Rory McIlroy, US golfer Tiger Woods, Swedish golfer Annika Sorenstam. (prestigeonline.com, 01 Jan 2023; hk01.com, 25 Jul 2020; hkgolfer.com, 01 Jun 2011)

Influence:

Her parents. (hkgolfer.com, 01 Jun 2011)

Philosophy:

"Talent is one thing, but spending the time so that you get there is another. You've got to do what normal people won't do or can't do." (hk.asiatatler.com, 30 Oct 2020)

Award:

In 2016 she received All-American honours in recognition of her performances for the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, CA, United States of America. (scmp.com, 13 Jul 2016)

In 2009, 2010 and 2011 she won the Hong Kong Junior Order of Merit for girls between the ages of 15 and 17. (hkolympic.org, 01 Jan 2014)

In 2008 and 2011 she received the Hong Kong Outstanding Junior Athlete Award. (hkolympic.org, 01 Jan 2014)

General Interest

General
STUDYING IN THE USA
She studied at the University of Southern California [USC] in Los Angeles, CA, United States of America. "Before I got into USC I had a rough two or three years in the States getting my tertiary education started: I was supposed to go to a state university but couldn't meet some requirements, so at 19 years old and on my own I ended up at a community college in Oklahoma - then the head coach at the school got fired. It was quite a difficult journey for me until I made it to USC." (prestigeonline.com, 01 Jan 2023; thestandard.com.hk, 05 Dec 2017)

Milestones

In 2018 she became the first golfer from Hong Kong, China to compete on the LPGA Tour. (scmp.com, 04 Dec 2017; lpga.com, 12 Feb 2018)

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ronsc1985 said:

Complaining about the way a winner is determined when you lose after knowing what the  rules were is simply whining by entitled losers who blew a 4-0 initial lead.  

I agree about complaining about the rules after the event it looks really bad. I like the idea that if I own the cup you've got to beat me to get it back. Equally I'm not keen on a team claiming a win when over the course of 3 days and 28 matches they didn't actually win. My only issue is I think the distinction is important and it matters. I'd keep the tied scenario I don't like the idea of a playoff of some sort.

Edited by WorkItBothWays
  • Like 4

Ping G425 Max 10.5° @ 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 65 X
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3w 15° Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70 X

Srixon ZX Mk II Utility 3 20° @ 19° Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S

Srixon ZX Mk II Utility 4 23° @ 22° Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 5 - P Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 50.08F, 54.10S & 58.08M
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

9 hours ago, NMBob said:

which is a perfect description "beat them decisively" as to what 14-14 isn't ,  so the holder keeps the cup.  

Exactly. You've got 3 days and 28 matches to win the cup. Silly for the comp to come down to a "playoff."

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

21 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

"Apparently, the European team captain Suzann Petterson obliged the request, and offered to put the Frenchwoman with Leona Maguire in the afternoon, but Boutier didn’t like that pairing either."

im glad this ridiculous statement was redacted 😂

40 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Not a good look ... comes off as sour grapes. A 1 hole playoff after 3 days of golf? Makes no sense.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, tatertot said:

Not a good look ... comes off as sour grapes. A 1 hole playoff after 3 days of golf? Makes no sense.

Exactly.  The tradition is that the defending team keeps the cup in case of a tie.  Don't mess with the tradition.

• Like 4
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

4 minutes ago, woahnelly said:

Id have done a 1 v 1 playoff to determine the tiebreaker, similarly to the 2013 Presidents Cup, darkness was the only thing that kept the tie. Tiger said it was his greatest golf memory of all time. 

Tiger also took the wedding vows.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, woahnelly said:

Id have done a 1 v 1 playoff to determine the tiebreaker, similarly to the 2013 Presidents Cup, darkness was the only thing that kept the tie. Tiger said it was his greatest golf memory of all time. 

I remember it vividly; it’s 2003 and Tiger vs. Ernie playoff during Ernie Els’ prime.  I’s a big Ernie fan and was proud that he made several 10-20 ft putts to force the tie.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WorkItBothWays said:

I agree about complaining about the rules after the event it looks really bad. I like the idea that if I own the cup you've got to beat me to get it back. Equally I'm not keen on a team claiming a win when over the course of 3 days and 28 matches they didn't actually win. My only issue is I think the distinction is important and it matters. I'd keep the tied scenario I don't like the idea of a playoff of some sort.

easy fix, start the previous cup holder off with a quarter point. ends in 14-14 its now 14-14.25, and then the 14.5 - 14.25 win still exists and everyone is happy since the score makes sense lol

• Haha 2

If I'm not mistaken, it's the same rule as Ryder Cup.

How it works

The three days of the matches consist of 28 total matches, each of which is worth one point. There are no extra holes in Ryder Cup matches. Should the two sides be tied after 18 holes, each side earns a half point.

CLAIMING THE CUP

To win the Ryder Cup outright, a team must collect 14 ½ of the 28 points available. In the case of a 14-14 tie, the winning team from the previous Ryder Cup retains the trophy.

• Like 3

On 9/25/2023 at 12:55 PM, Dpavs said:

True.... but then sports events for championships do not end in ties either... save for these two in golf as far as I know. So either there needs to be a clear winner or no winner in my book.

This isn't a championship.  It's an event that happens between two groups of people, and they ostensibly make money holding the event.  People have taken an interest in it for whatever reason, but that doesn't make it a championship.  The event exists to make money.  Not to determine some kind of "champion" or establish the US or Europe as golf supremacy.  

5 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

This isn't a championship.  It's an event that happens between two groups of people, and they ostensibly make money holding the event.  People have taken an interest in it for whatever reason, but that doesn't make it a championship.  The event exists to make money.  Not to determine some kind of "champion" or establish the US or Europe as golf supremacy.  

Every team event is a group of people is it not? You can call it an event but essentially it's a contest between two teams... and one wins or retains the cup and one does not. I'm not sure why you would think this is would not qualify as a championship much the same as any other team championship in sports. (e.g. soccer, football, hockey, baseball, etc.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dpavs said:

Every team event is a group of people is it not? You can call it an event but essentially it's a contest between two teams... and one wins or retains the cup and one does not. I'm not sure why you would think this is would not qualify as a championship much the same as any other team championship in sports. (e.g. soccer, football, hockey, baseball, etc.)

OK, what championship did they win?  Just because they hand out a trophy at the end does not make it a championship.  This is like the Laver Cup in tennis.  You take a randomly sequestered group of players and pit them against another randomly sequestered group of players.  There is no qualifying to get a team into this event, and the home team has a lot of say in how the competition will play out.  While you have a decent idea of who will play for the championship in other sports, they have to win their way there.  The US plays against Europe in this event no matter what happens.  If it were a championship, the Koreans or Thais would have an opportunity to compete.  

The President's Cup is the same thing.  People like to say "it exists to give people from outside of Europe a chance to play in a Ryder Cup type event."  No, it was created so the PGA Tour could cash in on the Ryder Cup interest before someone else did, and if segregating teams by righties vs lefties instead of US vs Internationals would bring in more money, the format would change in a heartbeat.    

And by group of people I was referring to the suits behind the scenes, not the players.    But it's not a championship, it's an event organized by US LPGA people and European LET people.   Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

OK, what championship did they win?  Just because they hand out a trophy at the end does not make it a championship.  This is like the Laver Cup in tennis.  You take a randomly sequestered group of players and pit them against another randomly sequestered group of players.  There is no qualifying to get a team into this event, and the home team has a lot of say in how the competition will play out.  While you have a decent idea of who will play for the championship in other sports, they have to win their way there.  The US plays against Europe in this event no matter what happens.  If it were a championship, the Koreans or Thais would have an opportunity to compete.  

The President's Cup is the same thing.  People like to say "it exists to give people from outside of Europe a chance to play in a Ryder Cup type event."  No, it was created so the PGA Tour could cash in on the Ryder Cup interest before someone else did, and if segregating teams by righties vs lefties instead of US vs Internationals would bring in more money, the format would change in a heartbeat.    

And by group of people I was referring to the suits behind the scenes, not the players.    But it's not a championship, it's an event organized by US LPGA people and European LET people.   Nothing more, nothing less.

“Righties vs Lefties” sounds intriguing ... albeit all the examples you’ve suggested also made me think of “shirts vs skins” 😬🚫🤬

Just now, JungleJimbo said:

“Righties vs Lefties” sounds intriguing ... albeit all the examples you’ve suggested also made me think of “shirts vs skins” 😬🚫🤬

I would hope the fact Craig Stadler and Tim Herron could end up on the "skins" team should be enough to kill that idea before it starts. 

• Haha 3