JPX 923 Forged?

Kdgolf

I have a pretty neutral angle of attack, and to me the best turf interaction was a toss-up between the T100S and 923 Forged.  I ended up going with the 923 Forged as the stronger loft compared to the T100S kept my launch and spin down.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

7 hours ago, soap1984 said:

Anyone who is a bit of a sweeper using the 923 forged? I am a lefty so 923 tours are not an option for me, currently using the 921 SEL which has tours in the 6-pw and forged in the 5/4 iron but I really do not like the 921 forged 5 &4 iron, I think because of the sole. If anyone has switched from tour to forged or even 921 forged to 923 forged, let me know if there is a difference. 

I don't love the look of the 223 but I will give them a try as they are the only lefty option in that range also. Leaning towards ping i230 at the moment, but ordered a 923 forged 5 iron to fit with my current 921 SEL to see if I like the 923 better than the 921 forged - unfortunately up in canada the beta test won't take place until May probably. 

I’m a sweeper for the most part, and like the poster above I was between the same two sets. So far only hit the 923’s on the range and the grass area… will play tomorrow for first time. The 923 seem good so far, the soles are thin enough to not bounce up on me but I get away with more than the T100S with less then precise contact. 

On 3/13/2023 at 4:45 PM, drscott266 said:

I agree with above poster, if some help is what you're after the Tours are moving away from that.  I currently have been playing the T100S and wanted to try something more forgiving, but the T200 feel like garbage cans and don't outperform the T100S really.  Enter the 923 Forged... a players distance iron that has actual feel.  I think we get lost trying to compare it to the Mizuno Pro 22x series, but it beats a hollow bodied iron from any other brand for feel.  I am very impressed by what I'm seeing both in a little extra distance and consistency in the 923F on the range so far.  Will get out this week to play 9 holes.  My fitter has been preaching the HMP forever, but the wider soles and lack of spin didn't work great for me.  He convinced to at least try the 923 Forged as they are a close second to the HMP, at least compared to my Titleist.  It's all about finding what you are looking for, and making a decision from there.  The feel game is very subjective, I still honestly prefer the feel of my T100S over any mizuno, but the performance is undeniably better from the 923.  

Thanks for the feedback.  I keep going back and forth between the 923 Tours and 921/923 Forged and then sometimes think about a 223/225 combo set.  I really think the 921/923 forged are probably most fitting for my game.  I'm sure the feel is a little better on the tours and 223s but if it feels good and misses greens what's the point?

On 3/11/2023 at 10:24 AM, Kdgolf said:

Surprised to not hear more on these being the positive online reviews? Anyone have them and what are your thoughts? Who tried them and didn’t like them?

I hit them at a fitting and loved them, but ended up going with HM Pro for $400 less with same/slightly better performance. Money not being a factor, I would have 100% gotten the forged, they felt phenomenal and were surprisingly forgiving with very consistent performance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PSUgolf said:

I hit them at a fitting and loved them, but ended up going with HM Pro for $400 less with same/slightly better performance. Money not being a factor, I would have 100% gotten the forged, they felt phenomenal and were surprisingly forgiving with very consistent performance.

Did you get the same spin rates out of HMPro and 923F? 

I tried both and went with forged because I got much better spin numbers and less variance in distance. 

34 minutes ago, sofla said:

How are the Forged on the thin shots?

Terrible, just like any other club.

If you mean how are they when struck on the bottom of the groove or for sweepers, I’d check out the AskGolfNut video on the JPX 923 Forged review. Does a good job deep diving and analyzing misses all over the face. Of course your results will vary depending on swing. For myself, I have a shallow swing and take little divots and find they’re fairly forgiving on low groove shots, but definitely get the feedback and know when I’ve struck it too low (both feel and lower penetrating ball flight).

Edited by HarborMike
  • Like 2

Lots of good questions here, and some I have first hand experience with.  Tooooootally agree with you can hit something well on a range or fitting, but that isn't your swing when its 50* and blowing.  The 923 Forged are a very paletable profile for most people in the single digits to low double digit caps... some posts on here just slobber over thin thin thin, but that is not every going to be as forgiving or consisent as a larger package.  The HM Pro are honestly a tue power house of an iron, but I still can't get over the wider soles personally.  I bet if I got a set and kept them for a season I would no doubt see results, in a monitor they are a club and half longer than my T100S.  My issue is I got a set last year, took it out for a round or two, didnt see a difference and sold it.  I am going to make a promise to myself that I will play the 923 Forged for at least a month to give it a fair shake.  So far they are impressing me in range with looks, the way the sole works, and the slightly thin shot performance.  Again, they are not as thin as the 221, 223, T100S, but they are not supposed to be.  They have tech packaged in there that helps them out perform all those irons for most of us, both in distance and consistency.  I know what I get out of T100S/T200 combo set, and I can shoot good scores for me.  If over a season I can hit one less club into greens, and misses still hit the green compared to what I have today that will likely lower my scores.  

Feel will never be the same between a HM Pro to a 221 or T100S, but again its not supposed to be.  The 923 Forged offer a decent middle ground... I can feel if I miss it slightly and pure shots are rewarded.  HM Pro feels kinda the same all over like the P790, which I have ultimately decided is bad for meand doesn't make me better.  I also have a reasonable idea of how I strike the ball, and that is not always perfect but I have enough speed and consistency to not need P790 or Hot Metal to get ball airborn.  

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, renobleiii said:

Did you get the same spin rates out of HMPro and 923F? 

I tried both and went with forged because I got much better spin numbers and less variance in distance. 

Perfect example here of a one piece forging vs. a hot face.  In my experience its not that the iron is inconsistent, its that pure shots are rarer than we think, and we can catch one dead nuts it's the full potential.  An HM Pro is capable of a higher full potential than a 923 Forged ballspeed wise, so the variance isn't just the center of face, but the difference in center contact to less than center... a 923 Forged is much closer in those two types of strike.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, HarborMike said:

Just my two cents here; I can hit the JPX Tours and 221s all day long on a launch monitor and driving range and fall in the love with the feel especially when I get into a groove after X amount of swings. But then I realize I’m going to be in many situations in real golf that are less than ideal when I miss hit my driver for example or facing windy conditions. When you are on some sort of weird slopie lie, fescue, deep rough, fairway bunker, hitting into green windy conditions, few cocktails in, etc. that 221/JPX Tour just got a lot more intimidating and harder to hit. The extra forgiveness is not a bad thing. For me, the baby bear is T100s or 923 Forged (even HMPs). 

I agree and I think many people will be swayed towards the tour hitting them side by side because of the feel when it might not best  fit their game. It’s definitely easier to get in a rhythm on an indoor mat with the same lie every single time vs playing on course. 

I also agree with another poster who mentioned that the HMP are a heck of an iron, but the sole width just too wide, especially in the long irons for me. The forged seems to bridge the gap well from the tour to HMP. 

I played my first 9 with the 923 forged and was extremely pleased. Moving from a set of TCB’s which I loved as well the forged were exactly what I was personally looking for. I needed more forgiveness especially on toe and low strikes. I also picked up approximately 10-15 yards. The feel still has some of that Mizuno feel but with a little more pop. The height and distance plus exceptional spin rate(for my swing and for the type of club they are) helped me hit/hold a lot of greens.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max - Denali Black 6.0

Callaway Paradym 3W - PX Black 6.0

PXG 0311 5W - PX Black 6.0

Srixon ZX4 4-6 - DGS400TI

Srixon ZX5 7-8 - DGS400TI

Srixon ZX7 9-PW - DGS400TI

Taylormade MG3 54 & 58 DGS400

Taylormade Spider X Hydroblast

Titleist PROV1

Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag

4 hours ago, drscott266 said:

Perfect example here of a one piece forging vs. a hot face.  In my experience its not that the iron is inconsistent, its that pure shots are rarer than we think, and we can catch one dead nuts it's the full potential.  An HM Pro is capable of a higher full potential than a 923 Forged ballspeed wise, so the variance isn't just the center of face, but the difference in center contact to less than center... a 923 Forged is much closer in those two types of strike.

This is a great insight! It aligns with what some people have told me about the hollow irons getting “random” super long shots. 

I could flip this around and claim the forged would be more “forgiving” if the HMPro is hotter in the sweet spot but we Dont hit it as often, but I Dont think that is your point. Lol. 

Played a set of 919 tours and loved them..Age and injury have slowed down the swing speed. I recently got fitted into a set of 923 forged W/Project X- LZ. They feel fine, top line is slim enough and I like the interaction with the sole. I’m a blade lover, but I also appreciate the added forgiveness in a package that looks good.

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 11:10 AM, drscott266 said:

I was fitted into the JPX hot metal pro and the forged fairly equally. I ordered the forged because the distance consistency was better and my primary reason for leaving my 900 hot metals was an 7i/8i that I couldn’t trust up the club face at all. Fliers were HOT! I’m looking forward to the 1025 scoring irons, though there’s been no where to try them out. We paired them with LA Golf A series 105X (5). I tried very hard to not pay for the premium premium shaft but the dispersion and feel was absolutely unlike anything else I tried… they aren’t in yet but I’m really looking forward to them. Coming from JPX900 Hot Metal with hard-stepped ProjectX LZ 6/120g.

Im just curious... why cant someone play a slightly harder to hit or/and more lofted iron but just club up? Like i usualy would hit a 7 in a forged but the tours i will hit a 6. Why is that so out of the question? For a decent player i dont think a tour can cost anymore then 2 3 strokes maybe no? Im sure certain days would very.

On 3/15/2023 at 11:10 AM, drscott266 said:

Perfect example here of a one piece forging vs. a hot face.  In my experience its not that the iron is inconsistent, its that pure shots are rarer than we think, and we can catch one dead nuts it's the full potential. 

I'm anxiously awaiting my 923F order! Switched from Ping G700s for the exact reason you mention above. Loved that description of catching one dead nuts, that's exactly what can happen with the hot irons.

On 3/12/2023 at 9:12 PM, jmillertwo4 said:

Played the 921 forged for a bit last year and loved them.  Foolishly moved them for the p790s.  The p790s are probably a little more forgiving, but nowhere close to feel.

I can find a set of the 921 tours brand new for a really good price, just worried that I'll be punished for mishits.  I could put them in the bag tho if they're only marginally less forgiving than the 921 forged.

A comment a month late, but commenting anyway  🙂

image.png.a870f9ac7e5c1d604de001c4883c3387.png

image.png.c82017a08e24a0709291e6eb5593add6.png

Added the club MOI and CG data above.  There's some difference in the MOI, it's basically a similar difference in forgiveness as between a Ping i210 and an S56.  You might see something, but how much of a difference you'd notice depends on where/how your misses are.

It's worth noting the CG on the Forged is a little farther towards the toe.  If your primary miss is toe side, that might help you a bit.

Last thought, the CG on the Forged is a little higher.  That might come into play if you are a sweeper and/or miss thin.  Emphasis on "might."  Theoretically, a steeper player would do better, but theory and real life don't always coincide. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, bladesoshanter said:

What do you mean by "baby bear"? You like the T100S or 923F, or when facing wind, negative conditions those two are negatives?

Guessing it's a Goldilocks reference.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 3/11/2023 at 12:29 PM, RN4LGolfer said:

Did a fitting 2 months ago. Tried the Ping i230, Srixon and the Mizuno JPX forged. The Mizuno's hands down were the best-feeling irons. Kicked my PXG Gen5 P's out of the bag. I've had no regrets, hitting more greens: the last week and a half shot par, and two 79's.

Any comparisons of the 923F vs PXG Gen5 P’s. Saw a post from a few months ago that they kicked the P’s out of the bag. Anyone else have any experience with these vs Gen5 P’s? 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 4/11/2023 at 5:22 AM, NRJyzr said:

A comment a month late, but commenting anyway  🙂

image.png.a870f9ac7e5c1d604de001c4883c3387.png

image.png.c82017a08e24a0709291e6eb5593add6.png

Added the club MOI and CG data above.  There's some difference in the MOI, it's basically a similar difference in forgiveness as between a Ping i210 and an S56.  You might see something, but how much of a difference you'd notice depends on where/how your misses are.

It's worth noting the CG on the Forged is a little farther towards the toe.  If your primary miss is toe side, that might help you a bit.

Last thought, the CG on the Forged is a little higher.  That might come into play if you are a sweeper and/or miss thin.  Emphasis on "might."  Theoretically, a steeper player would do better, but theory and real life don't always coincide. 🤷‍♀️

Yeah I personally found the Tours very forgiving.

The 923 Forged are an improvement over the 921 in terms of looks by the ball. Just a bit sleeker/smaller. They’re strong!

If you have speed they may be too strong. If you’re lacking distance they may help if you get enough height and spin. 

If you’re in between Tour and Forged then the MP223 (or new 243 coming) is probably the way to go. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

• 5 weeks later...

I have 2 sets (I know) of the 919 Tours. No question it's the best iron Mizuno ever made. Other than the copper underlay and a slightly larger sweetspot, the 923 is the same club. I hated the 921 Tour. Having said that, I just picked up a stock set of 923 Forged in 4-P. They are 10 yards longer on every club except the scoring clubs. I'm going to swap my 50 degree Vokey for a 48 due to the giant gap. I fully expect to light it up with the Forged but the flight on the Tours is perfect. The Tours are pretty easy to hit. If you hit it on the toe, buy the Forged.

On 9/30/2023 at 4:21 PM, MacAttack67 said:

I have 2 sets (I know) of the 919 Tours. No question it's the best iron Mizuno ever made. Other than the copper underlay and a slightly larger sweetspot, the 923 is the same club. I hated the 921 Tour. Having said that, I just picked up a stock set of 923 Forged in 4-P. They are 10 yards longer on every club except the scoring clubs. I'm going to swap my 50 degree Vokey for a 48 due to the giant gap. I fully expect to light it up with the Forged but the flight on the Tours is perfect. The Tours are pretty easy to hit. If you hit it on the toe, buy the Forged.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the 923 Forged, hit them at the range and asked, "Why did I buy these?"  Read all the hype and played them yesterday. Other than a skanked 5 iron at 18 that carried 188 I see ZERO benefit over the Tours.  In fact, I can hit more shot with the 919 Tours and the long irons are just as easy to hit.  I have no interest in the extra 6-10 yards per club.  Not giving up yet but I expect the Tours to be back in the bag by Thanksgiving.

I still hate them and can't figure out why. Chromoly isn't what I expected. The 8, 9 and Wedge are ok but a little low flying. I just hit more greens and better shots with the tours. The Forged are for sale if any cares. 

Edited by MacAttack67
Update
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 months later...