JPX 923 Forged?

Kdgolf

On 3/11/2023 at 11:26 AM, Kdgolf said:

The tour at address looks great I would certainly agree. I feel as though forgiveness pw-7 would likely not not be much difference between the two but the forged might really shine 4-6 in the forged? I like that the forged has a little stronger lofts to bring down the trajectory and pick up a little extra carry. Did you see much difference in trajectory between the two and distance?

I find the long irons easier to hit in the Tours

Wait...didn't you just post this recently?  WTF?

On 1/19/2024 at 3:14 PM, MacAttack67 said:

I just played these sticks yesterday before I packed them up for ebay. WTF was I thinking? Great feel and workability and thin shots carry to the flag. I'm 68 and hit a 5 iron 205 to a back flag. These things are like stealing. They stay in the bag. Now to sell my brand new 923 Tours!

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 9:59 AM, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Gapping is very workable if blending at the 5/6 irons.

BDFB1365-605A-4543-84A6-0A89F09F5CB5.jpeg.55a7e06719bdf0e15169a5463542cd6d.jpeg

Can still work if blending at 6/7, but that’s getting to the point where it makes less sense because the Forged set is already a blended/combo set in itself, akin to the 223.

I’ve always found Mizunos super blendable. You could even blend 923 Tour with HMP if you don’t care about carrying two 6 irons. 

So I started with the 921Forged, then basically didn't like the gapping and distance control, and bought a set of 923Tours.  I still have both sets.  considering trying blend them as you have done above.  its not as straight forward mixing 921 with 923, but would like to avoid buying a third set of irons if I can help it hhehheee

Just some comments after playing both the 921F and the 923T's for a while.  not sure how I will shake out a blended set for this year yet, i am still thinking it through..or might just get a set of 923F's which have better gapping them the 921F's.

1. The 921F's just did not have good distance control or spread either really, for me compared to the 923T's. I know this defies reason, but that was my experience.  I was also hitting the 921F's really "wow" long for me, hitting 7 iron 180 yards is exciting, but actually not what I need.

2. I was having some problems with too much rollout for the 5i and sometimes the 6i in the 921F

3. The 921F set has large gapping starting at the 9 iron in order to try to end up with the GW loft being "normal".  That makes it basically so that all the long and mid irons are really long and that is fun, but then there is a big jump down in carry starting at the 9i with big differences down to GW.  Possibly this problem could be solved by using an extra wedge and some bending, but I moved on to Tours.

4. The 923T's, my consistency went way up in terms of both distance and spread.  However, I struggle to get out to 170+ with the 6i and 5i compared to what I can do with the Forges which easily get out to 180 and 190.  So with the Tours I have a difficult gap at 170-190.  

5. 923T's feel really good and I would say they are forgiving enough, but for some shots I do miss the metal meat of the forges, which seem to provide some free compression.  But the Tours are much nicer to look down at and just feel really good to hit when struck well.  But mainly my scoring improved with them, due to better gapping in the set and distance control.

Overall I would say that in general the 8i-5i forges are strong lofted by one club.  Then at 9i they start easing back the lofts closer to standard so that by the GW its more standard.  This basically makes it so that the forged 6i and 5i are easier to hit compared to Tours..and they are representing the lofts of a standard 5i and 4i with also a bit more metal under/behind the ball at impact.  So the Forges are really good I can hit the 8i like a standard 7i, and the 7i like a standard 6i and so forth, basically avoiding the long irons and worst case I can hit the 5i, which is really like a 4i but with a slightly shorter shaft and meatier clubhead.  

but I find that in order to get rid of the gapping problems in the short end, I may have to double up, like have 5i,6i,7i(forged) and 7i, 8i,9i,PW,GW of Tours.  doubling the 7i.  because otherwise there is a big gap somewhere, there is no way around it.  The 923Forges seem to have slightly better gapping compared to 921, may only take a couple bends to even it out, but anyway, right now I am considering mixing my 921F's and 923T's because its what I have...and basically I can have two 7i's, or two 8i's and the loft gapping will work out either way.  With just a couple scoring Tour's, maybe 8i,9i,PW,GW.  Then Forged for the 8-5i, including overlap at the 8.  I'm leaning th most towards that though it seems weird having two 8i's in the bag.

I might also consider completely changing my wedges in some way..  I can't see any place that it makes sense to not double up the 6 or the 7 or the 8i from each set without ending up with a big gap.  What am I missing?

• Thanks 1

Well another thing I could do is go with the 923Forges from 5i-9i, bend the 9i stronger to 38 (from 39) and then overlap the Tours at the 9i-GW.  That would provide great gapping.. much better then I can blend with the 921F's.  But admittedly, I do really like the feel of the tours in the 8i and 7i...so I don't know.  But it would just be a more consistent feel through most of the set except I would have a 9i-GW that feel slightly more bladey like a wedge and consistent gapping.

or I can go the other way and just overlap at the 6i for the longest ones and stay Tour for most of it.  It's very hard to decide honestly.  I also need to try choking up on the tour long irons a bit to see if i improves the 6i, 5i and 4i enough that I can actually use them for 170-190 out.  Ultimately that would be my preference to get top, but I'm just not there now.

• 1 month later...

I am excited to get back into this line after a few years away. I never knew how good I had it with the old 825 Pro, the 850 Forged was kind of a dud feel-wise and I spent a while chasing something decent until landing on the MP-20 MMC for the last few seasons. I'm not crisp enough to play the MMCs any more. I've got a set of 5-P heads and DG 120 X100s ready to glue up when I have a minute to myself. 

The only gripe I have is the loft. As a 50-54-58 wedge player I'm definitely going to need to bend these things weak by a degree or two all the way down the set. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Over the last year or so I've picked up a pretty significant amount of speed and have been realizing my equipment may be holding me back, so I went for an iron fitting last weekend to explore replacing my 919 Forged with N.S Pro 120s.  I'm kind of a tweaner, not really good enough for the MP line or Tours and don't care for the hollow heads of the HMs or HMPs, which is why I settled on the 919 Forged to begin with.  

I hit the MP243, MP245s, 923Ts, 923F and the 923 HMPs. After hitting them all I feel like i could play any of those irons and have very similar results to my 919 Forged.  Carry distances were what i expect them to be (165 yard 7i as a reference), spin was fine, but none of them blew me away enough to want to make the change.  That is until i hit the 923 Forged, which were the clear winner for me.  Once I got the correct shaft (DG 120 X100) dialed in, there was a drastic improvement in feel over the 919 Forged imo, they feel more powerful when struck well, whereas I found the 919 Forged to be a little more bland when pured.  I gained 15 yards of carry per club on my 919 Forged with very similar launch and still maintained plenty of spin.  Mishits are slightly less pronounced than some of the other irons, but I could still tell where I missed and the results were still very good.  Ended up with 923 Forged 4-GW in DG 120 X100.  VERY excited to put them in play this weekend and see how they do.    

My 919 Forged are for sale in the BST if anyone is interested.        

Edited by RedDevilWheezy
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim2 9.5* Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x
TaylorMade Sim2 Ti 15* Graphite Design Tour AD TP 7X
Mizuno Pro FliHi 3i Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW DG 120 X100

Mizuno T24 54, 58 DG S400 
Bettinardi BB1 Limited Blackout 

#InsideTMag2013 

The 923 forged are a great set of irons that do a lot of different things really, really well.  Might have to try a couple or few different shafts, like mentioned above, but when you find the combo, watch out!!  I still cannot believe that these get so overlooked around these parts, I remember this model of iron being very popular around these boards a few years ago.

• Like 2

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

The 923F are an amazing iron. I went 923HMP to 923F and this year moved into the MP245. My 923F will be listed for sale soon. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9º Driver Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR1 4 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85S

Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50º 12F Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 56º 12D Dynamic Gold S200

Ping PLD Anser 2D

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 3:51 PM, Zach.buckler23 said:

Mizuno… best feeling iron ever. Just didn’t like how heavy the heads are. But besides that, great irons 

Yeah, I got fitted in February, and been playing my 923F irons for over a month.  The build came in at D2-D2.5, and feel heavy.  For the past few years, I’ve been playing irons at D0, wedges at D2, and the 923Fs feel really heavy.  Maybe it’s all in my head, but even so, the seed has been planted…and now I can’t get over it.

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

10 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Looking at custom build options on a popular website and saw that Mizzy offers the MMTs at no up charge on these. Seems to good to be true. 

IMG_6132.jpeg

Nah, that is legit. Not too good to be true.

Just beware, I recently ordered some 923 HM Pro irons with MMT 105 S at a requested swing weight of D2, and they showed up between D4 and D5. It was like swinging sledge-hammers, so I got rid of them rather than trying to deal with Mizuno CS.

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Just now, jeffrey r said:

Nah, that is legit. Not too good to be true.

Just beware, I recently ordered some 923 HM Pro irons with MMT 105 S at a requested swing weight of D2, and they showed up between D4 and D5. It was like swinging sledge-hammers, so I got rid of them rather than trying to deal with Mizuno CS.

That’s great on the no up charge. Tot bummer on the whacked out SWs 😳

Just now, TiScape said:

That’s great on the no up charge. Tot bummer on the whacked out SWs 😳

Yeah, especially with the recent price-drops on the 923 line, it was hard to resist placing an order to try the HM Pro or Forged with MMT. Aside from completely ignoring my request of D2, simply getting an iron set with a D4 6 iron and up from there was disappointing. Perhaps the 923 Forged heads mesh better with MMT. Good luck.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

On 3/25/2024 at 12:40 PM, GooseHook said:

I am excited to get back into this line after a few years away. I never knew how good I had it with the old 825 Pro, the 850 Forged was kind of a dud feel-wise and I spent a while chasing something decent until landing on the MP-20 MMC for the last few seasons. I'm not crisp enough to play the MMCs any more. I've got a set of 5-P heads and DG 120 X100s ready to glue up when I have a minute to myself. 

The only gripe I have is the loft. As a 50-54-58 wedge player I'm definitely going to need to bend these things weak by a degree or two all the way down the set. 

Ah man. I’m still hitting 825 Pro as well. Have hit the JPX forged, tour, and the MP 243. Can’t make up my mind. 

I do know where the 825 Pros are going to go, which is great; I just can’t help but feel like I’m missing out on ten+ years of iron technology. 

4 hours ago, hh2nd said:

Ah man. I’m still hitting 825 Pro as well. Have hit the JPX forged, tour, and the MP 243. Can’t make up my mind. 

I do know where the 825 Pros are going to go, which is great; I just can’t help but feel like I’m missing out on ten+ years of iron technology. 

The only iron I wish I had in my bag more than the 825 Pro is the MP-53. Both irons that would be in a premium class even today. I hit the 825 Pro as long as any iron I've ever owned and never felt like they needed more forgiveness. 

They are both outstanding cavity backs with excellent sole designs and conventional lofts. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

4 hours ago, GooseHook said:

The only iron I wish I had in my bag more than the 825 Pro is the MP-53. Both irons that would be in a premium class even today. I hit the 825 Pro as long as any iron I've ever owned and never felt like they needed more forgiveness. 

They are both outstanding cavity backs with excellent sole designs and conventional lofts. 

I hear you. Played MP 32 prior to 825 Pro  and would take the 7-P in that iron all day. I do love the 825 Pro though and can’t find anything with the combination of forgiveness, consistent distance, and feel. 

I’ve played Mizuno irons since 2004, and I have nothing but positive things to say about their offerings. But I just hit Epons for the first time, and I will be ordering them this week. The feel is off the charts. I thought my MX200s felt great. I thought my 919Fs were amazing. I wouldn’t be changing from these except that I’ve gotten old and fat and need a softer shaft. Thought about the 923 forged and the 243s, but then I hit the Epons. $100 more per head but so worth it.

I think these will go down as one of my favourite irons i've gamed..yet i've just listed them in BST..

Moved into 245's primarily for the looks but who knows what will happen when the 2025 JPX comes out!

Edited by alexc93

Titleist TSR3 9º Driver Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR1 4 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85S

Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50º 12F Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 56º 12D Dynamic Gold S200

Ping PLD Anser 2D

Curious question, anyone that is playing these 923 forged irons, do most just play the stock lofts?  Anybody change the lofts through the whole set, or maybe just a couple/few of the clubs?

Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

19 hours ago, pjc said:

Curious question, anyone that is playing these 923 forged irons, do most just play the stock lofts?  Anybody change the lofts through the whole set, or maybe just a couple/few of the clubs?

I played these for the first time today with stock lofts. It wasn’t too big of an adjustment compared to my MP-20 MMCs in terms of actual ball flight and distances. 

Really enjoyed the extra forgiveness with these heads , especially with the lighter DG 120s. I didn’t feel like I had to work too hard to hit shots. 

• Like 1

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

On 4/20/2024 at 12:12 AM, pjc said:

Got fitted for mine and just not seeing a reason to mess with the lofts but …. I think I’ll get a 50 degree wedge to go with my other Hi-Toes. Not getting what I want out of the gap wedge so far - I like to use a 50 or 52 around the greens and the GW doesn’t cut it for me around the greens and on short pitches for performance.