JPX 923 Forged?

Kdgolf

Surprised to not hear more on these being the positive online reviews? Anyone have them and what are your thoughts? Who tried them and didn’t like them?

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max - Denali Black 6.0

Callaway Paradym 3W - PX Black 6.0

PXG 0311 5W - PX Black 6.0

Srixon ZX4 4-6 - DGS400TI

Srixon ZX5 7-8 - DGS400TI

Srixon ZX7 9-PW - DGS400TI

Taylormade MG3 54 & 58 DGS400

Taylormade Spider X Hydroblast

Titleist PROV1

Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag

Just did a demo of the 221, 223, and 923 Tour and Forged. 7 irons only, so take with a grain of salt. Went in thinking I’d prefer either the 223 or the 923 Forged, didn’t think I’d do well with the 221 or the Tour. The Forged is fine. I’m not sure if it’s a major improvement over the 921 Forged, which may have been the real standout of that series with the chromoly forging.

I found the 923 Tour to feel significantly better and not meaningfully less forgiving versus the Forged; whatever extra forgiveness there may be in the Forged is not meaningful enough to offset the feel of the Tour for me. It’s not a knock on the Forged so much as it is a credit to the 923 Tour, which I think is a real winner for Mizuno, and the standout of this series with the copper underlay. Feels every bit as good as (and definitely easier to hit than) the MP-60/67 combo in my basement. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Just did a demo of the 221, 223, and 923 Tour and Forged. 7 irons only, so take with a grain of salt. Went in thinking I’d prefer either the 223 or the 923 Forged, didn’t think I’d do well with the 221 or the Tour. The Forged is fine. I’m not sure if it’s a major improvement over the 921 Forged, which may have been the real standout of that series with the chromoly forging.

I found the 923 Tour to feel significantly better and not meaningfully less forgiving versus the Forged; whatever extra forgiveness there may be in the Forged is not meaningful enough to offset the feel of the Tour for me. It’s not a knock on the Forged so much as it is a credit to the 923 Tour, which I think is a real winner for Mizuno, and the standout of this series with the copper underlay. Feels every bit as good as (and definitely easier to hit than) the MP-60/67 combo in my basement. 

The tour at address looks great I would certainly agree. I feel as though forgiveness pw-7 would likely not not be much difference between the two but the forged might really shine 4-6 in the forged? I like that the forged has a little stronger lofts to bring down the trajectory and pick up a little extra carry. Did you see much difference in trajectory between the two and distance?

Titleist PROV1

Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag

Did a fitting 2 months ago. Tried the Ping i230, Srixon and the Mizuno JPX forged. The Mizuno's hands down were the best-feeling irons. Kicked my PXG Gen5 P's out of the bag. I've had no regrets, hitting more greens: the last week and a half shot par, and two 79's.

Edited by RN4LGolfer
  • Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

3 hours ago, Kdgolf said:

I like that the forged has a little stronger lofts to bring down the trajectory and pick up a little extra carry. Did you see much difference in trajectory between the two and distance

Absolutely. I think it probably depends on how much speed/loft you bring in. Forged @ 32* was too strong for my liking; lower traj. and not enough spin. Got much better launch and spin from the tour at 34*, swinging 88-90 with X100s. I normally play a 34* 7 iron. Of course, I could probably do well with the forged bent 2* weak, but the tour still has a way better feel to me. 

Obviously haven’t hit the long irons, but I would consider the forged there for sure. I think a 4-5i bent 2* weak would blend really well into the tour. That specific combo is absolutely on my radar. 

5 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

Absolutely. I think it probably depends on how much speed/loft you bring in. Forged @ 32* was too strong for my liking; lower traj. and not enough spin. Got much better launch and spin from the tour at 34*, swinging 88-90 with X100s. I normally play a 34* 7 iron. Of course, I could probably do well with the forged bent 2* weak, but the tour still has a way better feel to me. 

Obviously haven’t hit the long irons, but I would consider the forged there for sure. I think a 4-5i bent 2* weak would blend really well into the tour. That specific combo is absolutely on my radar. 

Forged is @30*.... It is a bit too strong. Too much gap between tour and forged for the 923 lineup. 

I went from the JPX 921 Forged last year to the p790's.  Everyone raved about the forgiveness of the p790's and they are forgiving, but the 921's were very close in the category imo.  Biggest thing I noticed is that the 790's are nowhere in comparison with feel.  Actually, I hate the feel of the p790's if I'm being honest. Ive seen some say that the 921/923 Tour Lines are pretty forgiving and feel even better than the forged.  Just how close in forgiveness are the Tours compared to the Forged?  A buddy has the 921 Tours and feels he's punished egregiously on mishits.  I'm definitely looking to get out of the p790s and back into Mizuno's, so just looking for some feedback on the difference in forgiveness on the 921/923 tours and forged!

I switched from the 921F to the 223’s and never looked back.   As forgiving in a smaller profile with a narrower sole. It’s amazing what Mizuno did in the tech of the 4 iron through 7 iron in the 223’s.

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

11 hours ago, sociojeje said:

Forged is @30*.... It is a bit too strong. Too much gap between tour and forged for the 923 lineup. 

Gapping is very workable if blending at the 5/6 irons.

BDFB1365-605A-4543-84A6-0A89F09F5CB5.jpeg.55a7e06719bdf0e15169a5463542cd6d.jpeg

Can still work if blending at 6/7, but that’s getting to the point where it makes less sense because the Forged set is already a blended/combo set in itself, akin to the 223.

I’ve always found Mizunos super blendable. You could even blend 923 Tour with HMP if you don’t care about carrying two 6 irons. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jmillertwo4 said:

so just looking for some feedback on the difference in forgiveness on the 921/923 tours and forged!

I don’t see a huge difference between 923 vs 921 Forged. The 921 Forged was a step up over its predecessor, but in this 923 line, it’s the Tour that seems to be a noticeable step up. 

In terms of forgiveness, the 923 Tour exceeded my expectations. Not a big difference vs Forged if you’re a reasonable ball striker.

If you had a good time with 921 Forged, 923 Forged will treat you well. If you’re afraid of the Tour but want something a little more nimble than the Forged, the 223 is worth a look. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

I don’t see a huge difference between 923 vs 921 Forged. The 921 Forged was a step up over its predecessor, but in this 923 line, it’s the Tour that seems to be a noticeable step up. 

In terms of forgiveness, the 923 Tour exceeded my expectations. Not a big difference vs Forged if you’re a reasonable ball striker.

If you had a good time with 921 Forged, 923 Forged will treat you well. If you’re afraid of the Tour but want something a little more nimble than the Forged, the 223 is worth a look. 

Main miss on irons is out on the toe.  I'm intrigued by the tour, but just worried about being over punished on mishits.  Having the 921 Forged for awhile I have an idea how they perform and assume the 923s would be very similar.

How much better does the Tour feel compared to the Forged?  Having the 790's has definitely taught me how important feel is.  They're a nice set, but they don't come anywhere close to the feel of a Mizuno.

1 hour ago, Lemonde said:

I switched from the 921F to the 223’s and never looked back.   As forgiving in a smaller profile with a narrower sole. It’s amazing what Mizuno did in the tech of the 4 iron through 7 iron in the 223’s.

How are you liking the 8-PW in the 223s?  How do they compare to the 8-PW of the Forged?

I loved the 223 7 iron, but concerned about no slot in the 8-PW.  223s are also weaker lofted overall and get even more traditional lofts in 8-PW.

2 hours ago, jmillertwo4 said:

just looking for some feedback on the difference in forgiveness on the 921/923 tours and forged!

I have been playing 921 Tours for two years. I had long wondered whether I should have gotten the Forged instead. A few months ago someone was selling Forged 5 and 6 irons with the same shafts I have in my Tours and I bought them. I have played about 6 real rounds and 10+ sim rounds with the 5 and 6 Forged in the bag (bent weak per the chart above) and I think they are marginally more forgiving, and the feel is very similar. It is worth hitting both to see where you are at, but I really don't think there is a huge difference in either feel or forgiveness between the two. 

That said I just finished rebuilding some MP-33s and am putting them back in the bag this week so you can probably disregard my opinion about anything.

• Like 1

I have a full set of 923 Forged that I have hit on range a couple times, but haven’t been able to play with yet.  There were some swings on the range that I was shocked the ball carried and held it’s line so we’ll, but I’m coming from T100S. I think these are very consistent on a large area of the face, and the soles seem to work for me… mainly a picker. Profile from address is nice, just thick enough to inspire confidence. Feel is solid but powerful 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmillertwo4 said:

Main miss on irons is out on the toe.  I'm intrigued by the tour, but just worried about being over punished on mishits.  Having the 921 Forged for awhile I have an idea how they perform and assume the 923s would be very similar.

How much better does the Tour feel compared to the Forged?  Having the 790's has definitely taught me how important feel is.  They're a nice set, but they don't come anywhere close to the feel of a Mizuno.

My miss too is on the toe which is why I’ve opted for the 923 forged. The tour although might feel better, I was fearful especially 4-6 a toe miss would be quite punishing. I tried the first set of p790’s, definitely forgiving but definitely not for my taste in feel.

I considered the 223 & 225 but I liked the 8-pw better on the forged. Obviously this is subjective and the 223 & 225 are still beautiful designs.

Titleist PROV1

Vessel 2.0 Stand Bag

3 hours ago, jmillertwo4 said:

In the 923s, the Tour feels sublime. The Forged feels great and definitely better than a P790, but the Tour is among the best feeling modern irons I’ve hit. Feel is on par with the old MP-60/67s I have kicking around in the basement. 

7 hours ago, snoodacris said:

How are you liking the 8-PW in the 223s?  How do they compare to the 8-PW of the Forged?

I loved the 223 7 iron, but concerned about no slot in the 8-PW.  223s are also weaker lofted overall and get even more traditional lofts in 8-PW.

The 8 and up are still very forgiving, no issues and I’d argue that advanced tech isn’t needed in these higher lofts. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I have 5- pw  923 forged for last 5 weeks here in Florida.I have mmt shafts and played about 15 games with them.They do feel okay but not as soft as other Mizuno I have owned.Flight is okay as well.These irons are good but not too much difference from my zx5/7  I came from.

Honestly my gen 1 0311 p's felt softer with shimada shafts .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jkody said:

I have been playing 921 Tours for two years. I had long wondered whether I should have gotten the Forged instead. A few months ago someone was selling Forged 5 and 6 irons with the same shafts I have in my Tours and I bought them. I have played about 6 real rounds and 10+ sim rounds with the 5 and 6 Forged in the bag (bent weak per the chart above) and I think they are marginally more forgiving, and the feel is very similar. It is worth hitting both to see where you are at, but I really don't think there is a huge difference in either feel or forgiveness between the two. 

That said I just finished rebuilding some MP-33s and am putting them back in the bag this week so you can probably disregard my opinion about anything.

Played the 921 forged for a bit last year and loved them.  Foolishly moved them for the p790s.  The p790s are probably a little more forgiving, but nowhere close to feel.

I can find a set of the 921 tours brand new for a really good price, just worried that I'll be punished for mishits.  I could put them in the bag tho if they're only marginally less forgiving than the 921 forged.

5 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

In the 923s, the Tour feels sublime. The Forged feels great and definitely better than a P790, but the Tour is among the best feeling modern irons I’ve hit. Feel is on par with the old MP-60/67s I have kicking around in the basement.

How much more forgiving are the 923 Tour opposed to the 921 tour in your opinion, or are they pretty similar?

I tested the 923 forged but my Honma's will be staying in the bag. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

9 hours ago, jmillertwo4 said:

How much more forgiving are the 923 Tour opposed to the 921 tour in your opinion, or are they pretty similar?

I'll let someone else speak to this as I'm not as versed with the 921 Tour.  I'm not sure that there's much significant difference, as it seems like what Mizuno tried to focus on the most with the 923 was improving the feel.  

You still have to be a fairly consistent ball striker to hit the 923 Tour; if you're way out on the toe, you will lose ball speed.  BUT, I didn't feel like I had to be dead center on every strike to get a good result.  I also hit it against a T100, and felt it to be every bit as forgiving, better feeling, and maybe slightly more inviting at address to my eye.  The 923T has a wider sole with more camber versus the T100, which also suits my liking, as well.  T100 is more "players," but JPX feels more friendly to the player, for me.

I was surprised by them because I wasn't expecting to hit them well, and was thinking that the Forged would be in my wheelhouse instead (it's closer to what I currently play).  I would probably be plenty happy to play a set of the Forged, as well, if the lofts were bent weak.  At that point though, I might opt for 223s, instead (better feel).

If you were happy with the 921 Forged, it might be better to just wait out a good deal on those rather than pulling the trigger on the Tours, if you have doubts.  You could also probably score a good deal on a used set of 223s, as Mizuno will potentially release a new MP line next year.  If you liked 921 Forged, I'm fairly confident you'll get along with the 223s.

I'll also add that, while I'm sure 921 Tour is a top notch iron, I was so impressed with the feel of the 923s that I personally would buy them new over buying a used set of 921Ts.  And that's very out of character for me, because I am someone who had never considered buying irons new before in my life.

Edited by Poor Mans Ty Webb
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, this_is_golf said:

Are the Forged and 225s very similar? Or are they closer to the 223s?

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

4 hours ago, Poor Mans Ty Webb said:

I'll let someone else speak to this as I'm not as versed with the 921 Tour.  I'm not sure that there's much significant difference, as it seems like what Mizuno tried to focus on the most with the 923 was improving the feel.  

You still have to be a fairly consistent ball striker to hit the 923 Tour; if you're way out on the toe, you will lose ball speed.  BUT, I didn't feel like I had to be dead center on every strike to get a good result.  I also hit it against a T100, and felt it to be every bit as forgiving, better feeling, and maybe slightly more inviting at address to my eye.  The 923T has a wider sole with more camber versus the T100, which also suits my liking, as well.  T100 is more "players," but JPX feels more friendly to the player, for me.

I was surprised by them because I wasn't expecting to hit them well, and was thinking that the Forged would be in my wheelhouse instead (it's closer to what I currently play).  I would probably be plenty happy to play a set of the Forged, as well, if the lofts were bent weak.  At that point though, I might opt for 223s, instead (better feel).

If you were happy with the 921 Forged, it might be better to just wait out a good deal on those rather than pulling the trigger on the Tours, if you have doubts.  You could also probably score a good deal on a used set of 223s, as Mizuno will potentially release a new MP line next year.  If you liked 921 Forged, I'm fairly confident you'll get along with the 223s.

I'll also add that, while I'm sure 921 Tour is a top notch iron, I was so impressed with the feel of the 923s that I personally would buy them new over buying a used set of 921Ts.  And that's very out of character for me, because I am someone who had never considered buying irons new before in my life.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm currently looking into maybe doing a combo set with G-8 in the 921 or 923Tours/221 and the 7-4 in the 921 or 923 forged/223.  If the right deal comes along in any full sets I'd probably pull the trigger and figure the rest out.  I just know the 790s are not for me from a feel standpoint

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmillertwo4 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm currently looking into maybe doing a combo set with G-8 in the 921 or 923Tours/221 and the 7-4 in the 921 or 923 forged/223.  If the right deal comes along in any full sets I'd probably pull the trigger and figure the rest out.  I just know the 790s are not for me from a feel standpoint

I agree with above poster, if some help is what you're after the Tours are moving away from that.  I currently have been playing the T100S and wanted to try something more forgiving, but the T200 feel like garbage cans and don't outperform the T100S really.  Enter the 923 Forged... a players distance iron that has actual feel.  I think we get lost trying to compare it to the Mizuno Pro 22x series, but it beats a hollow bodied iron from any other brand for feel.  I am very impressed by what I'm seeing both in a little extra distance and consistency in the 923F on the range so far.  Will get out this week to play 9 holes.  My fitter has been preaching the HMP forever, but the wider soles and lack of spin didn't work great for me.  He convinced to at least try the 923 Forged as they are a close second to the HMP, at least compared to my Titleist.  It's all about finding what you are looking for, and making a decision from there.  The feel game is very subjective, I still honestly prefer the feel of my T100S over any mizuno, but the performance is undeniably better from the 923.  

• Like 3

Anyone who is a bit of a sweeper using the 923 forged? I am a lefty so 923 tours are not an option for me, currently using the 921 SEL which has tours in the 6-pw and forged in the 5/4 iron but I really do not like the 921 forged 5 &4 iron, I think because of the sole. If anyone has switched from tour to forged or even 921 forged to 923 forged, let me know if there is a difference. 

I don't love the look of the 223 but I will give them a try as they are the only lefty option in that range also. Leaning towards ping i230 at the moment, but ordered a 923 forged 5 iron to fit with my current 921 SEL to see if I like the 923 better than the 921 forged - unfortunately up in canada the beta test won't take place until May probably.