Advice for Summer 23' Scotland trip

So I'm be travelling solo to Scotland (but flying into Manchester, England) from 26th July - 18th August.  Just started planning the trip a couple of weeks ago and have a tentative plan but would love some feedback from those that have experience with the area/courses. 

Plan is to start in East Lothian then head counterclockwise around.  It will be a lot of golf but I'm hopeful with the use of electric trolley's and caddies fatigue will not be a factor.  FYI, I'm 40 and relatively Fit. 

Wed 26 Goswick on the way up that afternoon. Stay at Airbnb in Gullane.
Thu 27 No definite plans. Hope to get off waitlist at Muirfield or have a time open at North Berwick. Is it acceptable to walk up at either place? Open to suggestions
Fri 28 Gullane 2 AM, Gullane 1 PM trolley
Sat 29 Dunbar PM trolley
Sun 30 North Berwick PM. If I can move this to Thursday I would leave for St. Andrews Saturday. If not, will depart for Airbnb in St. Andrews Sunday evening. 
Mon 31 Kingsbarns vs St. Andrews New/Jubilee/Castle.  Having a hard time justifying the cost of Kingsbarns considering the quality of other courses around.  
Tue 1 St. Andrews New/Old/Jubilee
Wed 2 Carnoustie PM trolley. Travel to Aberdeen
Thu 3 Royal Aberdeen AM trolley 
Fri 4 Cruden Bay AM trolley. Travel to Inverness area
Sat 5 Moray Old AM  trolley
Sun 6 Castle Stuart AM caddy, Nairn 1520 trolley
Mon 7 Castle Stuart AM trolley  then drive around Loch Ness. Travel to Dornoch
Tue 8 Dornoch PM caddy 
Wed 9 Brora AM elec trolley req. Travel to Isle of Skye
Thu 10 Isle of Skye no golf
Fri 11 Isle of Skye no golf
Sat 12 Either Skye or Machrihanish Old
Sun 13 Tour Loch lomond (no golf) or Machrihanish Dunes.  If the latter, take Campbelltown ferry to Androssan.  
Mon 14 Prestwick AM trolley, possibly Western Gailes PM though undecided
Tue 15 Royal Troon PM trolley
Wed 16 Turnberry PM trolley
Thu 17 Royal Birkdale AM trolley
Fri 18

Fly home

Curious to hear people's thoughts on the courses selected.  Current notable courses I may miss along the way are Muirfield (not by choice), Kingsbarns, Western Gailes and Trump links in Aberdeen, though certainly there are others.   The cost of Kingsbarns and Trump around 400 quid which seems obscene to me. They aren't on the current list out of principle.  However,  I will likely cave to play Kingsbarns as it seems like a can't miss, but is it?  Any other courses I shouldn't miss, particularly with beautiful terrain/scenery?  Any courses you would consider duds and drop? 

I'm concerned about the lack of a day off in the first 2/3 of the trip.  However, I'm hopeful that I can get North Berwick moved to an earlier day so I can get to St Andrews earlier and take a day to tour the city and museums.  If not, I would likely not play Dunbar Saturday the 29th and perhaps Moray Old on the 5th.  

Is the hassle of getting to and from Machrihanish and Campbelltown worth it?

Which courses should I switch to a caddy instead of the trolley?  I have read that caddies are recommended at Prestwick for instance.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any insight or advice anyone has

Have you checked with the courses to see if they have any times open? 

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

While Goswick is a great course, I would avoid that first day drive across the country when you have Formby, West Lancs and Lytham on a more direct route to Gullane. In fact it doesn't look as though you need to be in Gullane that day. I would consider playing much closer to the airport and staying the night. 

Looks a great trip - Kingsbarns is expensive but worth it once, very scenic and a tough test - good for comparison if you are playing Dunbar and North Berwick - old school versus new links. Never played Goswick ( but it is now on the list for April or July - thanks) it’s a fair old treck from Brora to Skye you will drive down the great glen (loch ness) lots of tourists on that road - allow plenty of time, but spectacular countryside! I haven’t made it to Campbelltown yet myself - but also on the list I think you should play both courses if you are there anyway. Have a great time!

Great trip! That’s a lot of golf, but as long as you prepare your body you’ll be fine. Not just fitness, but golf shape. I normally do a two week trip every year and the last few rounds the body is a bit stiff. If you take care of yourself and recover well you’ll be fine. To work up my endurance I tried to hit 2 large buckets of balls daily, and either walk a few miles in the morning and walk 9 holes in the evening. Or walk 18 holes and play 2 balls. Enjoy!

As far as Kingsbarns, I’ve played it a few times. Frankly it’s not worth the price. But that decision will vary per player. I really like The Castle Course, and find it similar to Kingsbarns at 1/3 the price. However, The Castle Course is a love/hate for most people. The greens are very undulated and tiered. I enjoy that but many don’t. I would definitely take a caddy if you’re playing there. Some holes you’ll aim 15-200yds left or right of the flag…. I really enjoy Jubilee as well. One hidden gem you might want to look into in Aberdeenshire is Fraserburgh. 
      Have not made it to Mach yet, mostly because of the logistics, but it’s on the list.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

I appreciate all of the great perspectives and advice so far, thank you guys!

Would I be missing something special by skipping Moray Old?  I think my body might need a break by that point and it's one of the less talked about courses on the list.  

Also have the same question about Western Gailes and and the Machrihanish courses.

Here’s how I would rank on must plays from your list. Those in bold would be must plays for me, then those listed below would be must plays not on your list:

Wed 26 Goswick on the way up that afternoon. Stay at Airbnb in Gullane.
Thu 27 No definite plans. Hope to get off waitlist at Muirfield or have a time open at North Berwick. Is it acceptable to walk up at either place? Open to suggestions
Fri 28 Gullane 2 AM, Gullane 1 PM trolley
Sat 29 Dunbar PM trolley
Sun 30 North Berwick PM. If I can move this to Thursday I would leave for St. Andrews Saturday. If not, will depart for Airbnb in St. Andrews Sunday evening. 
Mon 31 Kingsbarns vs St. Andrews New/Jubilee/Castle.  Having a hard time justifying the cost of Kingsbarns considering the quality of other courses around.  
Tue 1 St. Andrews New/Old/Jubilee
Wed 2 Carnoustie PM trolley. Travel to Aberdeen
Thu 3 Royal Aberdeen AM trolley 
Fri 4 Cruden Bay AM trolley. Travel to Inverness area
Sat 5 Moray Old AM  trolley
Sun 6 Castle Stuart caddy, Nairn 1520 trolley
Mon 7 Castle Stuart AM trolley  then drive around Loch Ness. Travel to Dornoch
Tue 8 Dornoch PM caddy (if you’re going to play any course twice this would be my pick)
Wed 9 Brora AM elec trolley req. Travel to Isle of Skye
Thu 10 Isle of Skye no golf
Fri 11 Isle of Skye no golf
Sat 12 Either Skye or Machrihanish Old
Sun 13 Tour Loch lomond (no golf) or Machrihanish Dunes.  If the latter, take Campbelltown ferry to Androssan.  
Mon 14 Prestwick AM trolley, possibly Western Gailes PM though undecided
Tue 15 Troon trolley
Wed 16

Turnberry PM trolley

Royal Birkdale AM trolley.

I would add:

Fraserburgh on the way from Cruden Bay to Inverness and drop Moray.

I would also add at least one day and maybe two days to the St. Andrews

leg if the tripPlay New, Jubilee, Castle then do walk up once or twice for

The Old Course.  If you decide to not deal with the logistics of Machrihanish, add a couple

more day in Liverpool. Play Lytham & St. Anne’s, Wallasey, West Lancs, Formby, or Hillside

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 2

I’ve done a shorter version of your trip (into Manchester but out of Glasgow). 

here are my thoughts:

I would hit Lytham on the way up north. Have not played Goswick but herd good things about it. 

Skip Kingsbarns. It’s expensive and IMHO not worth the price for the 2-3 memorable holes. I was also not impressed with Jubilee at SA. Nice track but not that great. 

N. Berwick is a must. Dunbar has an amazing stretch on the back 9 along the coast. Wasn’t overly impressed with Gullane but I was jet lagged the one time I played it.  

You can do Royal Aberdeen and Cruden same day that time of year but you will be tired.  Aa caddy at Cruden is a good idea given the few quirky/blind shots ( or make sure you are playing with people who have played it a few times).

I’ve done Castle Stuart and Nairn same day.  Both are solid courses with amazing views. Nairn is fairly flat with the exception of 1-2 holes. You might need a llama at Castle Stuart given a few of the hills. 

In Ayrshire, Troon is a must play. I’ve not played Western Gailes or Turnberry but have played Prestwick, Dundonald and Glasgow Gailes.  All 3 are good for a second round.  If you stay at the Royal Marine Hotel in Troon, all are within 10-15 minute drive. 

Haven’t made it to Mac as I usually only have 5-6 days and it takes almost a full day to get to/from. 

you have a great trip planned. Two tips: take a shitload of Advil and remember to look right at the roundabout.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, bmyles said:

I appreciate all of the great perspectives and advice so far, thank you guys!

Would I be missing something special by skipping Moray Old?  I think my body might need a break by that point and it's one of the less talked about courses on the list.  

Also have the same question about Western Gailes and and the Machrihanish courses.

Moray Old is very good and an easy walk. It's not quite on the level of some of your other courses though. It's understandable if you want a rest. If you are looking for a quick 9 to stretch the legs there is the very cool and unusual Covesea just to the west. 

I will be an outlier on Kingsbarns and Castle Stuart. They are two of the best courses in Scotland. However, one game at Castle Stuart is probably enough unless you get a discount for 36 hole rate. That said I agree they are over priced. An agreeable and cool alternative to Kingsbarns is Elie. In any case, I would not play Jubilee if New and Old aren't on the cards. Try Crail, Eden or Lundin. 

Edited by El Gringo
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

one game at Castle Stuart is probably enough unless you get a discount for 36 hole rate. 

Castle Stuart (aka Cabot Highlands) has a pretty good deal. 2nd round played within 7 days of your first is 1/2 price, which comes out to 400 pounds total.  So you can play Castle Stuart twice for the cost of playing Kingsbarns or Trump links once.  There is also added value of being able to reserve prime tee times and nice practice facilities compared to many of the semi-private courses.   

Thanks for the advice on the Fife courses and particularly the Elie recommendation, which made me look closer at the course.  It looks spectacular.  It's now a priority to play if I can make the schedule work. I did not budget enough time in Fife, hopefully I can rectify that.

11 hours ago, bmyles said:

Castle Stuart (aka Cabot Highlands) has a pretty good deal. 2nd round played within 7 days of your first is 1/2 price, which comes out to 400 pounds total.  So you can play Castle Stuart twice for the cost of playing Kingsbarns or Trump links once.  There is also added value of being able to reserve prime tee times and nice practice facilities compared to many of the semi-private courses.   

Thanks for the advice on the Fife courses and particularly the Elie recommendation, which made me look closer at the course.  It looks spectacular.  It's now a priority to play if I can make the schedule work. I did not budget enough time in Fife, hopefully I can rectify that.

I think Prestwick has a similar 36 hole deal. One to consider as Prestwick has some funky holes. It's a great course! 

Looks like an awesome trip! I can't speak highly enough of Western Gailes. I would strongly consider working that in. 

As for rest, we played a lot of 36 hole days, and that wore me out by the 3rd or 4th day. If you are only playing 18 a day, I wouldn't worry. Depends on your fitness and age. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Looks like an awesome trip! I can't speak highly enough of Western Gailes. I would strongly consider working that in. 

As for rest, we played a lot of 36 hole days, and that wore me out by the 3rd or 4th day. If you are only playing 18 a day, I wouldn't worry. Depends on your fitness and age. 

We thought Western Gailes was kind of the hidden gem of our trip. We weren't expecting much but it ranked up top for some guys above Turnberry. Turnberry was great, but almost too straight forward. We wanted quirky!

Regarding your query about how to best spend time - the drive out to Campbelltown is certainly a treck for one or two rounds at Machrahanish - might be better to head straight to Ayrshire after Skye and concentrate on the options there - whilst Scotland is geographically small on a map it takes time and mental effort to get places which seem relatively small distances apart - your trip is a huge coverage already so make a little time to enjoy a few days in one place - that would be my advice for enjoying the trip. You can always come back next year for more!! Hehe

Seems a great trip.

Read for your first day; walk up at Muirfield seems impossible and it's quite an intimidating place as you enter and park in the sheds. North Berwick is in the centre of town, I would just go there early and try and get a time; when I was there in September a group of Italians did it and played behind our match, making a lot of noise! 

Seems a great trip on your lonesome, where are you staying in St Andrews, I have been down there a lot on my lonesome so can help you there for food and chill spots!

You staying in Aberdeen or Cruden Bay for the stuff up there? I can see your tee time at RAGC. Course is shaping up nicely for March 

IMG_9281.jpeg.d341eb192b4c1cc282eb088a68d6fa17.jpeg

IMG_9282.jpeg.ba471e5047602ba2c6910c1e987f4290.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

You've got a great trip planned. Here are a few tweaks to consider.

Kingsbarns is very good, but IMO not worth the huge green fee. I'd play Elie, Crail Balcomie or the New instead.

Rather than two rounds at Castle Stuart, Id add Nairn. 

I'm a big fan of Western Gailes. Try to find a way to to include it. I enjoyed it it more th as n Royal Troon.

If you haven't yet booked lodging for the 14th &15th , try to get a room at Sandhill House. It's a fantastic B&B overlooking Royal Troon and convenient to Troon, Prestwick and Western Gailes 

Edited by sabram
To fix typos
  • Like 1

If that is your dream golf trip, by all means do it!

To me, it looks like one of those squeeze in as much golf as possible "death marches".  Isle of Skye and drive around Loch Ness aside (and just a "maybe" on time to see St. Andrews - "maybe", lol and you'll need more time) no matter what you intend, you won't see much else of Scotland other than courses, roads and places to eat.  That much time there without real and intentional time to experience historical sites, natural wonders, etc. seems like a missed opportunity, but everyone has different preferences, no judgments. 

• Like 1

Moray Old is excellent.   Moray New is also very good if you're looking for a more low-keyed, less expensive, and probably quicker round of golf.   

I'd suggest that you stay in Lossiemouth at the Links Lodge B&B right across from the golf course.   No need to drive clear to Inverness.   

1 minute ago, smoky25 said:

If you're looking to replace Kingsbarns, check out Dumbarnie. Similar course and close by. Not sure about the cost as it was included in our rota, but it is an excellent "modern" links course built in 2019.  Great clubhouse and food too.

Dumbarnie lost their greens. Its green fees are around £200 so not the cheapest, especially considering conditions. There are so many options for other courses. The Castle Course, Crail Craighead, Lundin, Scotscraig, Drumoig and others. 

3 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Dumbarnie lost their greens. Its green fees are around £200 so not the cheapest, especially considering conditions. There are so many options for other courses. The Castle Course, Crail Craighead, Lundin, Scotscraig, Drumoig and others. 

Wow. Sorry to hear they lost their greens.

Your trip sounds awesome!!

Seeing as you are playing many course once, when you return you may not remember a lot of the holes you played.  I did 12 courses in 28 days and the only courses I remember are the ones I played multiple times. As an example, I played Troon once and I barely remember any of the holes, it is like I didn't play there at all - even with pictures.  As this isn't possible from your itinerary, perhaps making a video of the courses would preserve your memories better than pictures. Give the caddy your camera and guide him or variations of that - I wish I had done that one my trip. At the end of the day, it isn't a big deal and the experience of the moment will last you forever. That's what I still have from my trip. 

Good luck and have the 'bestest' trip!!!

10.5* Ping G430 Max, MCA Diamana BF 60g 

18* 5W Stealth 2+ Ti, MCA Kail'li red 70g

21* 7W Ping G430 Max, Oban Revenge 85g
22* & 26* HY Ping G430, MCA 80g Kai'li white

6-GW Mizuno JPX 923 HM, PX LZ 
54*S & 58*T Ping Glide 4.0, DG 120 
L.A.B. DF3, Accra X, Press Pistol 2 OR Ping Anser 2 Milled OR Mizuno M-Craft VI (Lamkin Deep Etch) 

Pro V1 or Z Star. GP TV 360 std. Titleist Players glove

Ping Hoofer Lite OR Ping Pioneer with Clicgear 3.5+

I would play Silloth on Solway rather than Goswick. It’s more on the way so will save time and stress and is just as highly rated. 
On the question of driving time, I think it’s your call on how much you want to see of Scotland and how much golf you want to play. Certainly good to play a course twice but keeping a notebook is a good suggestion. 

• Like 2