Hybrid help

fred faldo

how does everyone replace their irons with hybrids? what I am getting at is do you use a 4 hybrid inplace of a 4 iron? I struggle with the concept that the hybrids may be 3/4 to an inch over the iron length and even though the lofts are higher I still feel the hy's will go further. My hybrids are 4 & 5 Radspeeds and irons are 5-gw LTDx so I have some redundency in the lofts I almost view the hybrids as my 3 and 4 irons. Anyone else confused by the gapping wih their sets? or view this the same way due to the additional length of the hy's. Sorry to babble but color me confused and thank you

Callaway Epic Speed TD 10.5

Callaway Steelhead XR   5 wood

Callaway GBB            20 degree hybrid

Callaway  B 21           4-PW

CBX Zipcore       48-54-58

2015 Scotty Cameron GoLo 5

Vice Pro Soft 

Golf Pride 2G white

All depends on the loft of your irons and you're chosen hybrids.  Mine fit perfectly in gapping to the corresponding irons.  My hybrids are the same length as the replaced iron but go about 5 to 8  yards further. 

My hybrids start at 4h at 22* to a 7h at 31*. My next club is an 8 iron at 34*. Fits perfectly. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fred faldo said:

how does everyone replace their irons with hybrids? what I am getting at is do you use a 4 hybrid inplace of a 4 iron? I struggle with the concept that the hybrids may be 3/4 to an inch over the iron length and even though the lofts are higher I still feel the hy's will go further. My hybrids are 4 & 5 Radspeeds and irons are 5-gw LTDx so I have some redundency in the lofts I almost view the hybrids as my 3 and 4 irons. Anyone else confused by the gapping wih their sets? or view this the same way due to the additional length of the hy's. Sorry to babble but color me confused and thank you w

For me, my 4 hybrid (Ping g425) would play like a 3 1/2 iron. It goes further then my 4 iron, but not quite as far as a 3 iron. However, it’s way easier to hit and has a much more playable trajectory. It’s hard to say for sure what would be a same yardage replacement since oems have different lofts for their hybrids vs each other. I wouldn’t focus on the number of the hybrid, but if you can get a hybrid with the same loft as your 4 iron, that would be a good place to start.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

the problem i have is my hybrids are 21 and 24 degrees and my 5 iron is 20.5 my 6 iron is 23.5 I don't really unerstand Cobra's gapping between irons and hybrids. The newer model hybrids that Cobra offers are lofted the same as my Radspeeds. I just thught there would have been a bit more of a flow between their irons and hys

23 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

For me, my 4 hybrid (Ping g425) would play like a 3 1/2 iron. It goes further then my 4 iron, but not quite as far as a 3 iron. However, it’s way easier to hit and has a much more playable trajectory. It’s hard to say for sure what would be a same yardage replacement since oems have different lofts for their hybrids vs each other. I wouldn’t focus on the number of the hybrid, but if you can get a hybrid with the same loft as your 4 iron, that would be a good place to start.

Vice Pro Soft 

Golf Pride 2G white

My 6 iron is 26 degrees.  I replaced the 23 degree 5 iron with a 22 degree 4 hybrid that is the same length as an iron and has the appearance of an iron, the 20 degree 4 iron (how crazy is that?) has been replaced with a 19 degree 3 hybrid that once again looks like an iron, it also falls into the 5 wood slot.

The only hybrid that looks and measures like a hybrid in my bag is 17 degrees and it's about to be kicked out because like all the other conventional hybrids I've owned it just doesn't work like I want it to.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

9 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

My 6 iron is 26 degrees.  I replaced the 23 degree 5 iron with a 22 degree 4 hybrid that is the same length as an iron and has the appearance of an iron, the 20 degree 4 iron (how crazy is that?) has been replaced with a 19 degree 3 hybrid that once again looks like an iron, it also falls into the 5 wood slot.

The only hybrid that looks and measures like a hybrid in my bag is 17 degrees and it's about to be kicked out because like all the other conventional hybrids I've owned it just doesn't work like I want it to.

I am leaning to taking out the 5hy and replacing it with a seven wood and even though my 4 hy and 5 iron will have basically the same loft the additional length of the hy will serve for the gapping (I think)

Edited by fred faldo

Vice Pro Soft 

Golf Pride 2G white

3 minutes ago, fred faldo said:

I am leaning to taking out the 5hy and replacing it with a seven wood and enen though my 4 hy and 5 iron will have basically the same loft the additional length of the hy will serve for the gapping (I think)

As much as I'm not a fan of loft jacking that has been going on the last 15 years or so one positive is that the club gapping works in a way that I can get by with a few less clubs.  Of course I don't do that, I fill all 14 slots lol.

• Haha 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

43 minutes ago, fred faldo said:

the problem i have is my hybrids are 21 and 24 degrees and my 5 iron is 20.5 my 6 iron is 23.5 I don't really unerstand Cobra's gapping between irons and hybrids. The newer model hybrids that Cobra offers are lofted the same as my Radspeeds. I just thught there would have been a bit more of a flow between their irons and hys

Yeah, lofts are getting crazy on irons. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

hybrids hit further. Extra length and more material behind the ball on contact. Typically a 5 hybrid covers a 4 iron, 4 hybrid is your 3 iron. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Your main chaos point is that LTDx irons are n-1. Your PW is actually a 9 iron, your 5 is really a 4. You have effectively both  4 and 5 iron as well as a 4 and 5 hybrid. Additionally, your longest FW is a 5 wood, so that if you change your longest hybrid (correctly IMO) to a 3, it will just overlap the 5 wood.

The easiest/least expensive way out IMO is to drop the 5 hybrid, add a matching 3 hybrid, and change the 5 wood to a 4 wood. Either a 7 wood or 3 hybrid will typically be too close to a 5 wood for an optimal gap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

1 hour ago, Jeff58 said:

Your main chaos point is that LTDx irons are n-1. Your PW is actually a 9 iron, your 5 is really a 4. You have effectively both  4 and 5 iron as well as a 4 and 5 hybrid. Additionally, your longest FW is a 5 wood, so that if you change your longest hybrid (correctly IMO) to a 3, it will just overlap the 5 wood.

The easiest/least expensive way out IMO is to drop the 5 hybrid, add a matching 3 hybrid, and change the 5 wood to a 4 wood. Either a 7 wood or 3 hybrid will typically be too close to a 5 wood for an optimal gap.

Thank you, I agree with the strong lofted irons being the main problem 

• Like 1

Vice Pro Soft 

Golf Pride 2G white

On 3/23/2023 at 5:03 PM, st1800e said:

I find that a hybrid with the same loft as an iron will go about one club further than the iron.  

In my previous bag mix, I carried both a 4H and a 4I. The 4H flew about a club longer, and launched a bit higher. The 4i was used primarily as a driving iron.

My current MAX irons have graphite shafts, and the 5i is flies a bit longer: it knocked 4i out of the bag; I kept 4H (see below).

Trying to find the best replacement hybrid for longer irons involves a bit of trial and error. If one sticks with one brand, often one can find iron-replacement hybrids which pair up nicely with a model of irons. Even within one brand, however, some combinations mesh better than others. In recent Mizuno, the JPX923 Fli-Hi hybrids mesh much better with the Hot Metal irons, than do the ST-Z 230 hybrids.

image.png.f39daeac19077d18012b9e0759109103.png 

Also, the JPX Fli-Hi are bonded head clubs, whereas the ST-Z 230 are adjustable.

And, the ST-Z hybrids not only have adjustable heads, but all overlap by 1 degree loft with the next shorter ST-Z. This overlap is also common among the Cobra hybrids.

Again, it takes a bit of trial and error to find the best hybrid mesh. Especially if one has bonded-head fairway woods, the adjustable hybrids make the fine-tuning gap distances much easier.

Edited by ChipNRun
Syntax.
  • Like 3

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 3/24/2023 at 11:03 AM, st1800e said:

I find that a hybrid with the same loft as an iron will go about one club further than the iron.  

This is my experience too. I have a 23° hybrid and my longest iron is a 24° 5 iron but they gap perfectly. Years ago I bought the 23° to gap in with my old 27° 5 iron and get consistent 4° loft increments and allow me to bag an extra wedge. But the gap between the 23° hybrid and the 27° iron just left a distance gap in my bag that I felt was too big a hole to fill. It wasn't worth the gap for an extra wedge especially as there are a couple of longer par 3's on my home course where the 24° iron is exactly the shot needed depending on the conditions. My OCD just had to get over having a 23° and 24° club in the bag lol. Looking at some modern iron sets the loft increments are nuts. 2° between clubs in the long irons but 6° in the short irons. Makes no sense to me. 

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

They are longer OP, but I often choke down a bit on them regardless as they are gapping clubs. Launch tends to be higher, and I simply look at the loft and dial that in a bit (having an adjustable adapter is nice here for a bit of fine tuning).

With stronger lofts being a virus, my 4H at 23d from 2017 which replaced a 23d 4i in that set, is now a 2022 model 24d 5H lofted down 1d. The 4H I also have is more of a tweener stock at 22d, I loft it up to 23 but that gives it a smidge of draw bias which I generally don't need 🙂

The '5' also is 1/2" shorter, tad heavier club head as well. 

I like the options of having both, if its very windy loft the 4H down to 22 vs. taking out the 21d 7W I normally carry but if I had to be un-WRX-like and only have one, I am carrying the 5H in this set as my 4i gap . 

• Like 2