A Tall Golfer's Fitting Journey (6'6") - A follow up from @Rybo

spncrn

fellow giraffe here (6'8" with a 39 ITF measurement). I have undergone a similar number trials and tribulations with golf equipment in an attempt to find a setup that works for my lankiness (tbh I've tried more shafts than I can remember. You name it I've pretty much tried it), so if you ever need or want someone to bounce ideas off of I'd love to help cuz I know what it's like to have your irons and wedges playing at E2 and feeling like you're losing a boat load of distance and speed and hate how the club feels over the ball cuz you can practically do bicep curls with your 7 iron.

Few notes for you continuing your search

1. continue to try KBS shafts (they have a higher balance point than True Temper and Project X so even if you are playing a 130g shaft like you are now, it will swing weight lighter than some lighter shafts that have more traditional balance points)

2. try the sharpie trick to figure out where you like your lie angles should be if you're still uncertain about what they should be (draw a line on a ball with a sharpie and set it up so it is vertical. Hit the ball and it should leave a sharpie line on your club face, if it is vertical like how the ball was then your lie angles are good)

3. Experiment with soft stepping your shafts as well. Will make them play slightly softer in flex but they will swing weight lighter too

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45") D4

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (C4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5") D4

3 Iron: TaylorMade P790 18° w/ Graphite Design Tour AD HY 95-X (40") D4

Irons: Titleist 620 CB (4 - 9) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ | D4

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 (46° @ 45°-10F, 50°-12F, 54°-08M), Vokey SM7 (58°-03A) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ (46°, 50°) KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S Black PVD (54°, 58°) | D4

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Versa 1 Black (35.5")

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1) & Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack Midsize (1 + 1), Golf Pride Pro Only 72cc

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Head: Titleist T100 2019 4-PW

Shaft: Dynamic Gold 120 X100 Tour Issue

Grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize

Lofts

4: 24*

5: 27*

6: 30*

7: 34*

8: 38*

9: 42*

PW: 46*

Lengths (1.25" above standard)

4: 39.75"

5: 39.25"

6: 38.75"

7: 38.25"

8: 37.75"

9: 37.25"

PW: 37"

Lie Angles (2.5* Upright)

4: 63.5*

5: 64.5*

6: 65*

7: 65.5*

8: 66*

9: 66.5*

PW: 66.5*

Swing Weights (Before & After Lead Tape)

4: D5 --> D5

5: D3+ --> D5 (3 grams added)

6: D4+ --> D5 (1 gram added)

7: D4+ --> D5 (1 gram added)

8: D5 --> D5

9: D4+ --> D5 (1 gram added)

PW: D5 --> D5

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSR3 10° (@ 9.25°, B3 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 60 6.5TX (45") D4

3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15° (C4 SureFit Setting) w/ Project X Small Batch HZRDUS Smoke Green PVD 70 6.5TX (43, tipped 0.5") D4

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 (46° @ 45°-10F, 50°-12F, 54°-08M), Vokey SM7 (58°-03A) w/ KBS Tour 125 S+ (46°, 50°) KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S Black PVD (54°, 58°) | D4

Grips: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize (1 + 1) & Golf Pride Tour Velvet Super Tack Midsize (1 + 1), Golf Pride Pro Only 72cc

Do tall guys stand the same distance from the ball as average guys?  You guys have upright swings?

Being average,I have no idea.  I suppose if you stood farther away, you’d need even longer clubs still.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

12 hours ago, CKaneb said:

Head: Titleist T100 2019 4-PW

Shaft: Dynamic Gold 120 X100 Tour Issue

Grip: Golf Pride Tour Velvet BCT Cord Midsize

Lofts

4: 24*

5: 27*

6: 30*

7: 34*

8: 38*

9: 42*

PW: 46*

Lengths (1.25" above standard)

4: 39.75"

5: 39.25"

6: 38.75"

7: 38.25"

8: 37.75"

9: 37.25"

PW: 37"

Lie Angles (2.5* Upright)

4: 63.5*

5: 64.5*

6: 65*

7: 65.5*

8: 66*

9: 66.5*

PW: 66.5*

Swing Weights (Before & After Lead Tape)

4: D5 --> D5

5: D3+ --> D5 (3 grams added)

6: D4+ --> D5 (1 gram added)

7: D4+ --> D5 (1 gram added)

8: D5 --> D5

9: D4+ --> D5 (1 gram added)

PW: D5 --> D5

Did you drill the heads?  I'm 1" over standard (39" 5i) with Nippon modus 120 X's and my swing weights are much higher.  My head weights were pretty spot on, I averaged 7 grams between each head until the GW, which dropped to 3.

Our shafts weights should be pretty comparable. 

Edit:  maybe it's the midsized grips, I'm using MCC +4's.  But I'm at D9.

Edited by R_Swanson

did zero drilling whatsoever. If I had to guess the difference is coming from either the balance points of the shafts and then the extra weight I am getting from playing midsize grips

8 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

Do tall guys stand the same distance from the ball as average guys?  You guys have upright swings?

Being average,I have no idea.  I suppose if you stood farther away, you’d need even longer clubs still.

If you're talking linear measurements, no - everything is larger...

But proportionally, we're all just aiming to have a similar/comfortable setup position...

Which is why fittings/fitters are virtually ineffective when you go outside of the 90th percentile.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spncrn said:

If you're talking linear measurements, no - everything is larger...

But proportionally, we're all just aiming to have a similar/comfortable setup position...

Which is why fittings/fitters are virtually ineffective when you go outside of the 90th percentile.

So if an average person stands say 18 inches from the ball with a 7 iron, you might be say 21 inches, right?  I’m trying to see where the more upright lies come into play. Relatively speaking you must be a bit more upright in posture than average.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

19 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

The more upright lies are to prevent the length from getting unreasonable.  We can use a bit of cheap trig with arbitrary assumptions to illustrate.

We'll take a 38.25" club with a 60* lie angle (I'm using a Ping Blueprint 4i, close enough for this exercise at 59.8* lie).  The 38.25" is the hypotenuse, and using the sine of a 60* angle, we find that the butt end of the club is 33.12" off the ground.  

A black dot player is roughly 34" wrist to floor, at 6' height.  Again, arbitrary.  I'll use the 39" wrist to floor mentioned in this thread.  At same posture, we'll assume that results in the butt of the club being 5" higher off the ground.  To maintain that same 60* lie angle, the length of that club would be 44".

Even if we assume that 5" greater wrist to floor results in only 2.5" higher vertically, we're still talking about 41-1/8" to maintain that 60* angle at impact.  Aka +3".

FWIW...  sine of a 60* angle is 0.8660, and in a right triangle is opposite side divided by the hypotenuse.  38.25/44.16 = 0.8660, with rounding.  🙂

Therefore, to keep the added length from being unwieldy, we need to increase that lie angle as well as going longer.

Hope I didn't mess up the math in there (more than I've already caught, LOL).  It's early yet.

chevy-chase.gif.34bb5ade0222222c4d1656f88ac1e31c.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

The more upright lies are to prevent the length from getting unreasonable.  We can use a bit of cheap trig with arbitrary assumptions to illustrate.

We'll take a 38.25" club with a 60* lie angle (I'm using a Ping Blueprint 4i, close enough for this exercise at 59.8* lie).  The 38.25" is the hypotenuse, and using the sine of a 60* angle, we find that the butt end of the club is 33.12" off the ground.  

A black dot player is roughly 34" wrist to floor, at 6' height.  Again, arbitrary.  I'll use the 39" wrist to floor mentioned in this thread.  At same posture, we'll assume that results in the butt of the club being 5" higher off the ground.  To maintain that same 60* lie angle, the length of that club would be 44".

Even if we assume that 5" greater wrist to floor results in only 2.5" higher vertically, we're still talking about 41-1/8" to maintain that 60* angle at impact.  Aka +3".

FWIW...  sine of a 60* angle is 0.8660, and in a right triangle is opposite side divided by the hypotenuse.  38.25/44.16 = 0.8660, with rounding.  🙂

Therefore, to keep the added length from being unwieldy, we need to increase that lie angle as well as going longer.

Hope I didn't mess up the math in there (more than I've already caught, LOL).  It's early yet.

I'm going to get together with a buddy who was a math teacher and have him water this down for me. I'll report back if I'm smart enough to remember.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kb7 said:

I'm going to get together with a buddy who was a math teacher and have him water this down for me. I'll report back if I'm smart enough to remember.

FWIW, I was a bit of a math nerd in school, BUT....

I *am* 59 years old.  It's been a rather long time since I wallowed in this stuff.  😉

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

5 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

FWIW, I was a bit of a math nerd in school, BUT....

I *am* 59 years old.  It's been a rather long time since I wallowed in this stuff.  😉

People like myself appreciate people like you and applaud your efforts. I am simply a dumb janitor who dabbles in club building, so all of this math stuff is very helpful!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Thanks @NRJyzr !

You're spot on about lie angle and length - Flex has ultimately been the biggest mystery to me since golf clubs are surprisingly low resolution unless you're testing CPM...

For example - When I fit custom hockey sticks, the flex (85, 95, 105, etc) is the amount of Lbs required to bend the stick 1"...

So being 6'6" and extending my hockey stick by 4" over standard required me to up my flex to 120 in stiffness to achieve a similar feel to a 95.

Now that I'm testing out X Flex shafts I'm seeing excellent results!

• Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 10:22 AM, st1800e said:

This video posted elsewhere, reposting to make a point and for any new readers.  One of the factors with being tall and upright lie angles is less room to swing (proportionately) for a tall golfer.

Much less “room to swing.” And more stress on back

That is more or less what I was wondering about, hence my question earlier.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

For me at 6'5" all I cared about was the starting point of having a PW at 36.5" and going from there which ended up being +0.75". The longest I've ever had was +1" and that was fine until I got to the 4 and 5 iron. It just felt way too long in those irons. I also play a neutral lie angle because having upright irons leads to an inconsistent strike causes the pulls. 

3 hours ago, PresTex said:

You may want to look at the LAGP Graphite iron shafts. They are very high balance points and you can likely get a somewhat normal swingweight at 1-2" over. Not cheap but might be worth it for you.

I looked at the website, nothing I could find describing their iron shafts as HBP, also seems they’ve only got stiff and up. 
Do you some further details? 
thanks.  

1 hour ago, st1800e said:

I looked at the website, nothing I could find describing their iron shafts as HBP, also seems they’ve only got stiff and up. 
Do you some further details? 
thanks.  

They dont post much as far as specs on their website. I just know from other peoples builds they SW much lighter. I have a 7i L Series 120 4(Stiff) flex that is ~1" long sitting here if you want to test it out. As far as flex I wouldnt be too afraid of trying out the stiff even if you normally play regular. They arent crazy stout in my opinion.

Also, check out Drew Cooper's on IG and his WITB on TXG's youtube channel. He plays at least 1" over and ive seen him mention this as well with these shafts.

Edited by PresTex
add video
  • Thanks 2

On 3/30/2023 at 11:22 AM, st1800e said:

I’ve hit a 38.5”  wedge as a test  very comfortable, good results despite the high swing weight, until the 3” extension broke, lol.  
Assembling a new set now , ~+1 1/2”.   37” PW, 3/8” progression from there.   6’3, 37.5 WTF. 

I'm 6'3" with a 37.5" WTF.   I did the same and started with all wedges at 37.5" and 3/8" increases up to 4i.  Went from S to X flex. The results have been incredible.   I wish this was discussed more often for tall golfers.  

• Like 3

On 4/3/2023 at 1:52 PM, PresTex said:

They dont post much as far as specs on their website. I just know from other peoples builds they SW much lighter. I have a 7i L Series 120 4(Stiff) flex that is ~1" long sitting here if you want to test it out. As far as flex I wouldnt be too afraid of trying out the stiff even if you normally play regular. They arent crazy stout in my opinion.

Thanks for the offer , but my flex is somewhere between sr and reg and graphite.  

Edited by st1800e

On 4/3/2023 at 11:18 AM, PresTex said:

You may want to look at the LAGP Graphite iron shafts. They are very high balance points and you can likely get a somewhat normal swingweight at 1-2" over. Not cheap but might be worth it for you.

oooh good call - I've been meaning to get my hands on one of them to try them out. 

So far the KBS Tour V XStiff (120) has been good at lowering the swing weight and getting my mechanics back in order. Currently at D7 - hoping to get to D5 with these to save the joints a bit more (counterweight, or heavier grips)

• 2 weeks later...

An update on my current setup - To be finished/built this week! (finally)

P760 Irons 4-PW  |  KBS Tour V X 120g Shafts  |  +2* Up  |   +1.5"  (final lengths TBD)  |  MCC +4 Midsize (62g)

Swingweight:  Roughly D6-D7 (TBD)

Lie Angles:

4 iron - 63*

5 iron - 63.5*

6 iron - 64*

7 iron - 64.5* 

8 iron - 65*

9 iron - 65*

PW - TBD

52 - TBD

56 - TBD

58 - TBD

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Major update! The build has begun!

Setup with pics and prices below…

P760 heads 4-PW - $380

KBS Tour V X Flex 120g (7 shafts) - $300

MCC Plus 4 Midsize (pack of 13) - $65

Assembly supplies $30-40

Total Build Cost: $770 ish

SW scale - $90

Various other expenses - $50

I also pulled the weights from the hosels in hopes of lightening the swing weights to around D4! (Pics below)

970B3CD8-CADA-4E64-B36A-F2625C417D35.jpeg

D68AA7CE-E23F-4A44-AC61-EAE8A85C023E.jpeg

• Like 3

I'm glad you were able to get the bullet weights out. Curious what weights they were. Lightening the head weight is absolutely key on over length builds.

I'm on my third experiment with +1" irons, 37"wtf with shoes. Lighter weight shafts, balance point and head weight can still produce a heavy enough feeling club where you won't lose the feel of it. I was able to go from +1/2" 2up to standard lie +1". There aren't many options for lighter head weights but I'll list a few others. Taylormade irons/wedges where you pull the bullet hosel weights, not easy but can be done. Mizuno b weight heads, they use them on +1/2" or more. PXG gen4-6 has a changeable weight. Edel SMS/pro. Ping's last two cycles 425/430/i230/i525/etc all have 10ish gram screws in the toe, before that the cavity insert could be changed by ping in the older heads. Maltby KE4 Max (playing these with no weight screw and tip trimmed a stiff flex shaft an extra half inch) and very affordable to test builds. For wedges the cbx line uses lighter weight heads in the low to mid 290s vs the standard 300. 

Balance point for shafts can also help a lot. The best resource I've found is golfshaftreviews.com, well worth it. The EI area is also a helpful decent enough standard to distinguish differences in flex between companies. LA Golf, steel fiber, Nippon NSPro __50 series/modus 120 and some KBS have high balance points to help. There is another chart floating around other threads. For dynamic gold their 130g shafts have a higher balance point, the 120g are neutral and 105g are lower to try to hit reasonable swing weights (d3) on standard builds as you drop overall weight.

For swing weight I have found counter weighting the butt end only has a slight change in feel and tricks the scale. A swing weight scale is only designed to be used with a 50g grip. If you change that then the standard is off and the scale readings can only be used relative to similar grip/counter weighting. For example to see the difference between two different shafts/heads with the same grip weight.

Hope this will help others on their journey.

Edited by enfuego

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket @13*, Aldila NV Green 55x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, Aldila NV Green 55x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r Standard

Ball: TP5X 2019/2024

Build is done 🙌🏼

Swingweights range from D3 (4i) to D4.5ish(P)

More specs to come after lofts/lies adjusted. 

Wedges are next - then driver, 3 wood, putter. 

…..

Enfuego - I appreciate all the suggestions.

Unforuntantely that’s incorrect about swingweight scales - it’s repeated on here way too often.

This idea that adding weight “tricks the scale” is false. 

Yes swingweight readings are relative to the component parts.. but the 14 in. fulcrum distance and weight block is standardized — Just like on a traditional bodyweight metal scales. 

That’s like saying body weight scales are “designed” for a “standard” 150lb human. 

1F5399D1-0D70-4144-988F-1996FF13F356.jpeg

Edited by spncrn
  • Like 1