2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Any shoe **** in here?

leezer99

What shoes are your kids wearing these days? My son has a pair of FJ Tour Alpha's and a pair of UA shoes that he will swap out every so often.  Just looking for something that will be comfortable with spikes. Anyone have experience with Payntr?

image.png.ac00a64609978ae371fc04741fbeee34.png

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• Gxgolfer changed the title to Any shoe **** in here?

Is his  foot done growing yet?  I will tell everybody to get Footjoy Premiere's (great shoes with a timeless, classy look).  This may be a dangerous statement but I am assuming since he has Tour Alpha's the Premiere's aren't out of budget.  I know they aren't what most kids would want but they are awesome.  If he doesn't have a wide foot, Gfore's seem to be  a favorite.   New Balance shoes are also great from what I hear  (never used them but I love their sneakers).  

Edited by Anser3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anser3 said:

Is his  foot done growing yet?  I will tell everybody to get Footjoy Premiere's (great shoes with a timeless, classy look).  This may be a dangerous statement but I am assuming since he has Tour Alpha's the Premiere's aren't out of budget.  I know they aren't what most kids would want but they are awesome.  If he doesn't have a wide foot, Gfore's seem to be  a favorite.   New Balance shoes are also great from what I hear  (never used them but I love their sneakers).  

He does need a wider toe box. 

5 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

He does need a wider toe box. 

In New Balance shoes I wear  an 11.5 4E  (wide toe box, thick/high instep and narrow heel).  I recommend Footjoy shoes to everybody  for their build quality  (In FJ 11 XW are about perfect for me).  From everything I have heard, the New Balance shoes have awesome waterproofing and do not leak at all.  Mileage may vary. 

I'm a big guy (6'3 280) and Footjoy shoes are my go to  (last season Premiere's are going for $150 on some sites).   Some older Footjoy models have  a slightly wider base than the Premiere's.  I have never used Ecco shoes but I have also heard they are awesome for anybody with wider feet.   I've walked in the Premiere's and "forgot" I had them on  (they didn't bother me at all and I never once thought of my footwear--except for the occasional mud from the previous day's rain).  To me, that is the ultimate sign of a comfortable shoe. 

Growing up, I loved sneakers.  My parents were wise enough to know that the asking price of sneakers was ridiculous and had a set amount they would spend (about $40-$45 -- I grew up mostly in the 90's).  Anything beyond that was on me. And anything beyond one pair  was 100% on me (They provided what I needed and then some, but were smart enough to know I didn't need  multiple pairs of sneakers).    Because I loved sneakers, that is what I spent birthday money and any money I made from working on--Reebok Pumps, Air Jordan's etc.  Did the shoes fit me properly width wise?  No.  Did I care?  No, because they were way cooler than the New Balance shoes suggested to me.  I grew out of that as I got older and bought shoes that fit (though I have bought some retro Pump models as an adult knowing full well they aren't "right" for my feet).  New balance 990's are a favorite but I love shoes that are bright colors and recently bought a pair of gray and neon green New Balance running shoes. 

• Thanks 1

Sqairz is all you need brother.

Adidas Golf shoe line has basically crapped all over itself.  Worst line in years.

UA makes great golf shoes.  My kid loves them.  Light Weight, Comfortable, and can read greens with his feet.

FJ makes great golf shoes.  The move I have seen in the 16-18 age groups and if you watch collegiately is to the FJ Premier Series.  Not as athletic and have to break in, but this shoe is better built for golf than any other out there because the flatness brings the heal to the ground unlike the Athletic Looking Spikes of today.  Also the easiest to read the greens with the feet.

Nike makes a great shoe as well.  I just won't purchase anything with a Swoosh on it and own nothing with a Swoosh on it.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

11 minutes ago, Bizzle80 said:

HH! the Swoosh is the best...we are an all Nike fam. Can't be mixing those logos...too OCD.

Nike is anti-Small Business and disrupts competing in the Sportwear Market.  Underhanded deals trying to create a monopoly within the High School and Collegiate markets.  It is one of the crappiest companies in the world.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bizzle80 said:

Every corp is anti-small business sadly...but Nike Maes the coolest kicks, so we match up from there.

This is where you are wrong.  UA and Adidas love small businesses.  Small businesses dealing with Sporting Goods and Sportswear dominate the youth and High School markets.  They know that the small business in the sporting goods markets are as grass roots as it gets.  It is a has been a branding effort for years by Adidas and why the Adidas brand in the US has thrived over the past 10 years.  UA still struggling with it, but getting much much better.

High Schools can only get Nike through a national company called BSN.  BSN parent company was just fined 43.5 million in an Anti-Trust suit.  It looks like Nike/BSN may be headed this way as well.

• Like 3

I won't pretend to know what the hip youths are into these days, but as a junior I pretty much wore FJ Classics exclusively (nka FJ Premiers). I could walk 36 a day in them with no issues. Once I got to college I switched to Adidas since that is who out team deal was with. They were fine, but after I graduated it was right back into FJ.

IMO, FJ Premiers are really the best GOLF shoe. Plus, I think they come in like 4-5 different widths which should help for a wider foot. Unfortunately, heavy is right about the current Adidas line, and Nike seems to be much more concerned with fashion over function these days...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@leezer99My son just got Tour Alphas last week, exact ones you pictured.  He was in FJ Fuel spikeless.  Typical low content review from him when asked ....."they are good".   They seem stout and I was a curious to see comfort when walking almost exclusively.  In two weeks he has probably 6 walking rounds and zero complaints about blisters or any discomfort.     

• Like 2

I've got to say, I'm very disappointed in the Ecco shoes my daughter used for about 3-4 months.  She had a pair of Ecco she loved a three years ago, so I didn't hesitate to buy these when I found them on clearance over the summer (bought my son a pair as well, but he hasn't grown into them yet).  After having three pair of Adidas with boost tech, the Ecco shoe didn't offer her enough support and the cushioning broke down quickly.

I have a pair of Asics Gell Course Glides I snagged on clearance cheap waiting for her, but she's in a '21 Adidas CodeChaos for now until she grows into the Asics.  The great thing about Adidas up until now for us, is that you can snag old stock for cheap if you are patient.  Amazon was giving them (old stock CodeChaos) away months back, so I bought a pair for my son and myself as well.  They aren't going to win any beauty contests, but for support and comfort they'll do just fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bizzle80 said:

I am all about swagging my kid out. They need to know how to look the part! My girl is definitely the swaggiest player on the LA USK tour.

Look good, feel good, play good!

This is true. She got the swag. 

• Like 1

My son has FJ Premiers and Traditions.  He likes both but wears the Traditions most of the time.  They're much lighter and have more room in the toe box.  The Traditions aren't the most durable due to their relatively light weight construction but that's somewhat offset by the price.  He has a pair of Fuel's but wears them mostly on the range as he prefers spikes over spikeless when he plays.  He complains that they don't breath and are very hot.

I had a pair of Payntrs.  I wouldn't buy them again.  The soles were good but the uppers were too flexible.  They're comfortable and the traction is good but my feet were moving too much inside of the shoe.  If you ever order a pair, they run a half size or more smaller than FJ or Adidas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1