2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What kind of career do you have that allows you to actually play golf?

5 hours ago, BNGL said:

Lmfao If you’re doing 4am to 7pm regularly you’re doing this way wrong and at the way way way wrong club . I worked extremely high level private clubs but even for the US Open and Tour events we didn’t do those. In the run up to the open we lived at the course but I don’t remember ever going 4-7. 

My best advice not knowing what level you’re at (intern, assistant, sup, etc) is to find a better facility with a more normal work schedule 

I appreciate the advice. In Dallas we are still under 60 degrees all day and nothing is growing with warm season turf going into our second biggest tournament of the year this weekend. And I'm at the best facility in the state. It's not easy like south Florida where it's perfect conditions every day. And in the summer we have to say until after 5:00 to keep bentgrass greens alive when it's 100+ every day with no rain for 5 months straight.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

I appreciate the advice. In Dallas we are still under 60 degrees all day and nothing is growing with warm season turf going into our second biggest tournament of the year this weekend. And I'm at the best facility in the state. It's not easy like south Florida where it's perfect conditions every day. And in the summer we have to say until after 5:00 to keep bentgrass greens alive when it's 100+ every day with no rain for 5 months straight.

Fair enough never worked in Texas but again I still have an extremely hard time believing that’s the best way to work the problem. I get hosing in hot weather and understand that, trust I’ve drug my fair share of hose but I’mhard pressed to believe that’s the absolute best way to do something. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 7:16 AM, mshills said:

Depends on where you are in your career and where you want to go. Too many factors to say, really. 

Definitively NOT the golf industry. 

This and invest early. Compound interest is the gift that keeps on giving. 20 years will go by in a blink. Invest early and you will eventually play all the golf you want where you want.
The Rule of 72 is legit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

University Professor as well. Outside of the odd thing I'm pretty free until September now.

D - TSR3 | Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W - Stealth+ | Ventus Blue 7X

5W - TSR2 | AD DI 8X

4H - TSR2 | AD DI 9X

5-PW - MP-223 | PX LZ 6.5

50/55/60 - MG4 | DG TI S400

P - Studio Stainless NP2 350g

B - ProV1x

B - Linksmaster

It really depends on your manager and coworkers more than anything else.

I started in engineering and it devolved into customer service.  Being on the East Coast I could easily play an early morning round of golf.

Most of the customers would call around lunch time.  Then there would be another burst of calls around lunch time on the West Coast.

If I spent an hour or two in the evening helping a customer out in real time via email they were delighted to get that level of service.

But, I got new coworkers who struggled to answer the phone, so my boss wanted me to put in 8 hours of chair time a day.

I did have a ton of seniority and lots of PTO time, so taking the day off to play golf was certainly an option.

I had plenty of money saved for retirement, so I gave six months notice!  As well as survivor's benefits to collect SS at 60.

I started saving early and often, so all sorts of investments turned out well.  My first investment was an IRA bank CD when interest rates were high!

It helped to have a high risk tolerance to be able to put money in the market when others were staying away, burned by losses.

If you have a lot of money in tax deferred investments there is also the need to take Required Minimum Distributions which will then be taxed.

It wasn't hard to see that early retirement would be helpful in spending the money I'd saved!

Edited by ShortGolfer
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

I appreciate the advice. In Dallas we are still under 60 degrees all day and nothing is growing with warm season turf going into our second biggest tournament of the year this weekend. 

Wow!  In my part of Dallas, the forecast for today is 82.  And the past six days were 71, 72, 65, 68, 74, 72.  And the turf at my club is growing and thick.

6 hours ago, JRSc said:

This and invest early. Compound interest is the gift that keeps on giving. 20 years will go by in a blink. Invest early and you will eventually play all the golf you want where you want.
The Rule of 72 is legit. 

The irony of your avatar telling me about sound financial management is worthy of a gold star.

• Like 2
Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

On 4/24/2023 at 7:12 AM, Roody said:

The guys at my club who are either in the financial or sales industry seem to have a lot of flexible schedules. They're out on the course most weekday afternoons. 

The one career you do not want if you want to play a lot of golf, is a career in the golf industry. Those guys work a lot of hours, and always during peak golfing times. 

Not necessarily true. 

I am the Tournament Director at a 36 hole course.  I typically play 3 times a week and several chances to go to the range. 

Our Superintendent plays at least 54 holes a week and sometimes more.  

Our Head Pro plays 1-2 times a week.   Mostly one now due to having his first child. Many other non management employees play 3-4 times. 

it all depends on your priorities and a boss who promotes a work/life balance and encourages everyone to take advantage of the golf benefit 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

On 4/26/2023 at 12:28 AM, TexasTurf said:

Not allowed to play the course, only work. Bad optics apparently.

You need to find a new employer then.  As in my previous post our Super plays plenty.  Playing the course he gets to see it from the golfers perspective not from his spreader  or golf cart  perspective. 

• Like 3

Vokey

6 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Not necessarily true. 

I am the Tournament Director at a 36 hole course.  I typically play 3 times a week and several chances to go to the range. 

Our Superintendent plays at least 54 holes a week and sometimes more.  

Our Head Pro plays 1-2 times a week.   Mostly one now due to having his first child. Many other non management employees play 3-4 times. 

it all depends on your priorities and a boss who promotes a work/life balance and encourages everyone to take advantage of the golf benefit 

The boss is the members, not the pro or the supers. Good on you for realizing that seeing the course the way you see it is actually a good thing! That's awesome.

12 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

Wow!  In my part of Dallas, the forecast for today is 82.  And the past six days were 71, 72, 65, 68, 74, 72.  And the turf at my club is growing and thick.

Yeah for like 5 min at the peak of the day. What were they at 8-9 a.m. That's the only time of day the grass cares about. Ours is thick and green too, but not taking off like most years.

7 hours ago, slprince67 said:

It has been a cool/weird spring in Dallas for growing turf….. I still wonder why attempt to grow bent grass greens in Dallas?  The need for fans in the summer, the constant syringing of the greens…. Seems like a battle you can’t win.  I like the new Bermuda.

It's a better surface year-round, is the reasoning behind it. This year is a perfect example. Pros and cons to both. A few courses in the area lost all their bermuda greens this winter in the cold snap, even with covers and lots of water. I like bermuda too. Much better in the summer.

17 hours ago, BNGL said:

Fair enough never worked in Texas but again I still have an extremely hard time believing that’s the best way to work the problem. I get hosing in hot weather and understand that, trust I’ve drug my fair share of hose but I’mhard pressed to believe that’s the absolute best way to do something. 

Truth. Agree completely.

11 hours ago, TexasTurf said:

The boss is the members, not the pro or the supers. Good on you for realizing that seeing the course the way you see it is actually a good thing! That's awesome.

I haven’t worked at a private. But our Super has.  He often joked about having 350 bosses 😬

But it was still the GM that set the rules allowing staff to play on Mondays.  

I guess some private  places are different that way it sounds. 

• Like 1

Vokey

I just want to say something about the family thing: it's a hell of a lot easier if your spouse has hobbies of their own. I am married with two kids and I generally try to play 3 times a week in the late spring-early fall (I'm in Montana). I play Tuesday or Wednesday at 4:30, so that's a full workday. I play Friday skins game at 1pm, so I take a half day off, but make up for it with early mornings. And then I play the first tee time of the day on Saturday or Sunday depending on my kid's sports schedules, but we are done by 10 or 10:30 am. I always go to my kids' sporting events and I very regularly finish the weekend round and head directly to a mountain biking trail with them.

My wife does her own things one or two nights a week and one day on the weekend, so I'm not hogging all the time or making her do all of the parenting. It also helps a lot that we live in town, right next to their school(s), and they have tons of friends within walking/biking distance, so it's not like they are abandoned with nothing to do whenever one parent is gone.

Also, both my kids are starting to get interested in golf so I took both of them on separate nights last week after work while the other was at soccer practice, and in both cases we played nine and then dinner at the club...which meant I got to golf 4 or 5 times last week AND I had a ton of quality one-on-one time with each of my kids.

You can make it work if you have a supportive spouse. As for the original question, I'm a lawyer. I don't bill the most hours at my firm but I bill enough.

Edited by jkody

7 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I haven’t worked at a private. But our Super has.  He often joked about having 350 bosses 😬

But it was still the GM that set the rules allowing staff to play on Mondays.  

I guess some private  places are different that way it sounds. 

How many days a year do they get pool access? Do most sell baby Ruth’s?

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, capking said:

How many days a year do they get pool access? Do most sell baby Ruth’s?

I day a year 😬

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2
  • Haha 1

Vokey

5 hours ago, jkody said:

I just want to say something about the family thing: it's a hell of a lot easier if your spouse has hobbies of their own. I am married with two kids and I generally try to play 3 times a week in the late spring-early fall (I'm in Montana). I play Tuesday or Wednesday at 4:30, so that's a full workday. I play Friday skins game at 1pm, so I take a half day off, but make up for it with early mornings. And then I play the first tee time of the day on Saturday or Sunday depending on my kid's sports schedules, but we are done by 10 or 10:30 am. I always go to my kids' sporting events and I very regularly finish the weekend round and head directly to a mountain biking trail with them.

My wife does her own things one or two nights a week and one day on the weekend, so I'm not hogging all the time or making her do all of the parenting. It also helps a lot that we live in town, right next to their school(s), and they have tons of friends within walking/biking distance, so it's not like they are abandoned with nothing to do whenever one parent is gone.

Also, both my kids are starting to get interested in golf so I took both of them on separate nights last week after work while the other was at soccer practice, and in both cases we played nine and then dinner at the club...which meant I got to golf 4 or 5 times last week AND I had a ton of quality one-on-one time with each of my kids.

You can make it work if you have a supportive spouse. As for the original question, I'm a lawyer. I don't bill the most hours at my firm but I bill enough.

Before I was in the golf industry I worked for Hilton for 20 years in sales.  I alway built in an extra day on the front and back ends of my trips.   Got to play some nice courses and like you said the comp hotel rooms helped the cause. 

Vokey

I work on a drilling rig in Alaska. We put in about 180 hours in 14 days (two weeks on, two weeks off schedule). I can play every day if I want while on R&R, I just make sure to be at the house before the lil lady makes it home from work. This schedule can be problematic though… About the time I get to where I’m really feeling good about my game, I have to trade in the clubs for a sledgehammer. Then I get home two weeks later and knock the rust off all over again. Makes it very difficult to get better and be consistent. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Tru said:

I work on a drilling rig in Alaska. We put in about 180 hours in 14 days (two weeks on, two weeks off schedule). I can play every day if I want while on R&R, I just make sure to be at the house before the lil lady makes it home from work. This schedule can be problematic though… About the time I get to where I’m really feeling good about my game, I have to trade in the clubs for a sledgehammer. Then I get home two weeks later and knock the rust off all over again. Makes it very difficult to get better and be consistent. 

This remembers me of a shift I used to work 30 years ago for Holiday Inn Reservations.  Not near as drastic as yours.  But we’d work a rotating schedule of like  10 days on then 6 days off.   

I didn’t play golf back then but thinking beck how great it would have been during those 6 days off.  Every other 10 day on was l3:30 to midnight.   So I could have played in the mornings as well.  

Vokey

2 hours ago, Tru said:

Oh that's much better that 13 on 1 off. Hell yeah, that's awesome.

• Like 1

I work in software engineering and work 1pm to 8pm on Tuesdays so I can play in the weekly competition.

Irons - Titleist 620MB/CB - Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - Mizuno T22 Raw 51*/08* S Grind, 55*/09* D Grind 59*/09* C Grind - Modus 125 Wedge

Hybrid - Ping G425 4h lofted all the way down - Tour AD DI 75 Stiff

Fairway - Ping G425 max 5w - Mitsubishi blue 70 stiff

Driver - Ping G25

Putter - Odyssey #7

On 4/29/2023 at 6:15 PM, BNGL said:

Lmfao If you’re doing 4am to 7pm regularly you’re doing this way wrong and at the way way way wrong club . I worked extremely high level private clubs but even for the US Open and Tour events we didn’t do those. In the run up to the open we lived at the course but I don’t remember ever going 4-7. 

My best advice not knowing what level you’re at (intern, assistant, sup, etc) is to find a better facility with a more normal work schedule 

^This

"Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch!"

On 4/25/2023 at 9:28 PM, TexasTurf said:

Not allowed to play the course, only work. Bad optics apparently.

That was the case when I was in the industry as well and ultimately led to me giving up the game for 20 years. On the course from 4am to sometimes 10pm (pilot facility, no automation on the pond) and no ability to play the course even if there was time to do so. I could get on one of the six courses (not the one I worked growing in, for that the best was taking a wedge with me and hitting a few balls here and there) on property but it was super rare. All the kids in outside services got to chum it up with the members on course daily. 

9 hours ago, hackeraz said:

That was the case when I was in the industry as well and ultimately led to me giving up the game for 20 years. On the course from 4am to sometimes 10pm (pilot facility, no automation on the pond) and no ability to play the course even if there was time to do so. I could get on one of the six courses (not the one I worked growing in, for that the best was taking a wedge with me and hitting a few balls here and there) on property but it was super rare. All the kids in outside services got to chum it up with the members on course daily. 

It is amazing how those kids that have nothing to do with the property are treated as royalty while the guys who have been there 20+ years creating the place are treated like janitors.