Jacked Lofts vs Traditional Lofts

90% of golfers who buy irons test the 7 irons in the sim at the store and see which one goes the longest. That is what is really driving this trend, especially in the GI space. My 7 iron (forged players cavity blade combo set) is 34* and some 7 irons are down into the 28*  range. Yes they launch higher than their loft would suggest but spin less than say a traditional 34* 7 iron.

With receptive greens the jacked lofts could work fine. It's just the gapping at the top and bottom of the bag that would put me off buying a modern GI set. Usually loft difference between 4 and 5 is only 2 or 2.5 degrees and the PW is 42*ish. If the set has a 47-48* gap included that would be OK, if not gapping with wedges would be a problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sergizmo said:

90% of golfers who buy irons test the 7 irons in the sim at the store and see which one goes the longest. That is what is really driving this trend, especially in the GI space. My 7 iron (forged players cavity blade combo set) is 34* and some 7 irons are down into the 28*  range. Yes they launch higher than their loft would suggest but spin less than say a traditional 34* 7 iron.

With receptive greens the jacked lofts could work fine. It's just the gapping at the top and bottom of the bag that would put me off buying a modern GI set. Usually loft difference between 4 and 5 is only 2 or 2.5 degrees and the PW is 42*ish. If the set has a 47-48* gap included that would be OK, if not gapping with wedges would be a problem. 

Yeah thats what i had going one with the Mavriks.   The PW is 41* and the AW is 46* so i had a huge gap differential to the 56* so i got the Mavrik 51* and my distances and gapping are much better

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 Driver

Adams Super S Speedline 3 wood

Adams Super LS 3 Hybrid (19*)

Adams Super LS 4 Hybrid (22*)

Callway Mavrik 6-AW

Callaway Mavrik GW (51*)
Callaway JAWS SW (56*)

Odyssey Tank putter

Bridgestone E12 Contact

I'm not playing 'distance' irons at the moment but I can see the day coming in the future when I do.  Like a lot of guys, I was skeptical, but having now seen how effective these types of irons can be in adding a combination of both height and distance, I'll definitely consider this type of iron for my next set.  I've seen enough of these 30* 7i sets in the hands of plus handicap, accomplished amateur players to have no doubts about their effectiveness in tournament golf, let alone weekend club golf.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While I like how I hit my new Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal irons and how they feel, I absolutely hate the jacked lofts.  I have a 20-yard gap between 7-iron and 8-iron for some reason so I'm going to have her the lofts checked and adjusted.  

Had I known the 4-iron was 19 degrees I would have not bought it.  They have only 3 degrees difference between 4-5-6 and then only 3.5 to 7. Then something like 4.5-5.5 degress difference in the short irons. That makes no damn sense to me! 

These are GI irons which means likley moderate SS and alot of guys will not generate the club head speed in the long irons to justify only 3 degress gapping.

After my fitting, the T200s were my close 2nd choice and if I had checked the lofts of the T200 vs JPX before ordering them, I would have bought the T200s.

image.png

Edited by HalfShell

1 hour ago, HalfShell said:

While I like how I hit my new Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal irons and how they feel, I absolutely hate the jacked lofts.  I have a 20-yard gap between 7-iron and 8-iron for some reason so I'm going to have her the lofts checked and adjusted.  

Had I known the 4-iron was 19 degrees I would have not bought it.  They have only 3 degrees difference between 4-5-6 and then only 3.5 to 7. Then something like 4.5-5.5 degress difference in the short irons. That makes no damn sense to me! 

These are GI irons which means likley moderate SS and alot of guys will not generate the club head speed in the long irons to justify only 3 degress gapping.

After my fitting, the T200s were my close 2nd choice and if I had checked the lofts of the T200 vs JPX before ordering them, I would have bought the T200s.

image.png

Yeah thats the issue with the Mavriks.  The 4 and 5 iron are lofted at 18* & 21* respectively and the 4 and 5 hybrid of the hybrid set is 20* & 23* respectively... then the 6 iron is 24*, 7 iron is 27*, 8 iron is 31.5*, 9 is 36*.    

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 Driver

Adams Super S Speedline 3 wood

Adams Super LS 3 Hybrid (19*)

Adams Super LS 4 Hybrid (22*)

Callway Mavrik 6-AW

Callaway Mavrik GW (51*)
Callaway JAWS SW (56*)

Odyssey Tank putter

Bridgestone E12 Contact

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... Nothing will put this "argument" to rest. Because it isn't really an argument, it's just folks on social media that want to complain about something. Why? Because they like it, which is pretty obvious from many threads here. Golf clubs are simply tools to accomplish a task. Hit a golf ball a certain distance with an appropriate amount of spin. The hole, the ball and especially the scorecard, really don't care what # club you use. They don't care if 4 guys in your group all have 38* irons with different numbers on the sole. Neither should you. 

... I want my irons to look good at address, produce the distance I need that cover my distance gaps with enough spin to hold greens. I don't care what the # on the sole says. Yea, of course I have had to adjust through the years from my days of playing a 49* MB PW so that is what I have done. It hasn't been difficult. I don't hear any old timers here complaining about the "jacked" ProV1 that was much longer than their Maxfli HT-100's. Evidently a ball that goes farther is OK, but not an iron. I played P790's in the Midwest but moving to Phoenix I found greens much harder sometimes not even leaving a ball mark and I needed more spin to hit, hop and stop. Again, I simply adjusted and switched to a set of P760's. 

... Another silly comment about jacked lofts is the guy hitting a P790 7iron 210 yards and complaining about a flier. If you can hit a 7 iron over 200 yds a hollow headed iron wasn't designed for you. But the guy that hit his GI 7 iron 140 yards just might be pretty happy hitting a hollow headed jacked lofted 7 iron 150. But I do think the silliest comments are those concerning hitting the ball farther with a jacked loft creating false bragging rights. Either you really have really sh!tty friends or I have just been extremely lucky for the last 45 years because I have never heard it from anyone I play with or have gotten paired up with. Not once. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This post gets my vote for Post of the Year 2023🏆 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Thanks 1

image.png.96dfc1a322d2f6ce9ea9b0646a0eba06.png

Cobra LTDx 9º Driver HZRDUS Blue RDX 6.5 

Cobra Radspeed 3wood 14½º Motore X F3 6S

Bullet Ti-Lies 7wood (mid 1990's) Harrison Pro shaft XS

2023 Cobra King Tec Utility 2 iron 17º KBS $-Taper Lite stiff

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-GW Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105s

Kirkland V2 Wedges

2024 Odyssey AI Cruiser Jailbird

Winn Dri-Tac Wrap Standard grips

Kirkland V3 Performance Plus | Callaway ERC soft | Vice Pro/Plus 

On 9/12/2023 at 9:27 PM, chisag said:

But I do think the silliest comments are those concerning hitting the ball farther with a jacked loft creating false bragging rights. Either you really have really sh!tty friends or I have just been extremely lucky for the last 45 years because I have never heard it from anyone I play with or have gotten paired up with. Not once. 

in my 35 years of golf this has been exclusively an internet golf forum phenomenon. I think it mostly comes up from guys who want to make themselves feel superior to those who play jacked lofts.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 9/12/2023 at 7:27 PM, chisag said:

But the guy that hit his GI 7 iron 140 yards just might be pretty happy hitting a hollow headed jacked lofted 7 iron 150.

There is no 7 iron

image.png.af3e81c3fee0a857a8c271c47a7520cf.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 9/16/2023 at 7:18 AM, Bad9 said:

in my 35 years of golf this has been exclusively an internet golf forum phenomenon. I think it mostly comes up from guys who want to make themselves feel superior to those who play jacked lofts.

Nice bit of projection you've got going there

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

21 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Nice bit of projection you've got going there

Its what internet forums are for😉

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 9/13/2023 at 6:24 AM, HalfShell said:

image.png

I'm quite surprised that you would express such particular needs for your lofts yet go and buy a set of JPX without knowing what the lofts were.

Titleist TSR4 9*

Titleist 917 f2 3w 16.5*

Callaway UW 21*

Mizuno MP4 4-P

Vokey SM9 50/56/60

L.A.B Direct Force 2.1

On 8/14/2023 at 8:47 AM, bluelinegolfer said:

Hello fellow golfers. 

Wondering how many have bought the newer "jacked up lofts" and been disappointed and switched back to the older "traditional lofts"?    Have a set of 2020 Callaway Mavriks and wondering if I made a mistake switching from my Taylormade Rbladez that believe had the traditional lofts even though they were considered "game improvement" when they came out too.   The Mavriks were free so think that might answer the question and just go get on a simulator and maybe get fitted for the right shaft...  any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

distance gap and lowest iron number you can launch in the air is my thoughts on jacked vs trad lofts. In jacked lofts, a 6i is about the lowest iron, but I can go to 5i in traditional. At 6i in jacked, then I need several hybrids before a 5W. With traditional, I can go 7w then 5i. I put a set of Ping G2 irons back in the bag (traditional lofts) because the stock steel iron shaft is on 94 grams. They made a G2 EZ line, which jacks the lofts, the 7i is 30 degrees, the same as the 6i in the base set. So Ping was offering jacked lofts as far back as 2003. Now, TM vs Callaway irons, it likely is a right shaft for your swing answer.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

On 9/21/2023 at 9:50 AM, infinii said:

I'm quite surprised that you would express such particular needs for your lofts yet go and buy a set of JPX without knowing what the lofts were.

Yea me too, but in 45 years of playing golf it was never an issue before now.  It will be first thing I look at with the next set if I choose to get rid of these.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2023 at 5:58 PM, sergizmo said:

Because 7 iron is all you can test sadly

• 3 weeks later...

When buying clubs especially with jacked strong lofts, have to careful of the launch monitor and in turn the ego. Loft is the main massive determinator of how far the ball actually goes. However if we are not getting the correct amount of spin for our personal swing speed then we end up gaining distance based on a number stamped on the sole, but lose spin and therefore control over the ball due to lack of spin. So if the balls landing angle is too shallow the ball runs on landing and does not hold the green. Real world Vs numbers 

On 8/25/2023 at 11:58 AM, sergizmo said:

7-iron is my longest iron at the moment at 70 years young.  That's why I buy a 7-iron from time to time to try for awhile.  I'm playing T300 at the moment, but I am going to try a T200 over the winter.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

On 8/14/2023 at 8:51 AM, CactusGolf said:

For example, I was playing 4-PW then 52/56/60 in my old PSIs, but had to go 5-PW then 48/52/56/60 with the Rogue ST Pros due to the slightly lower lofts (hitting it higher though).  I was missing the 125-130 shot without the 48.

It’s wild to have a set PW and add a 48. I totally get why, but it’s hard to get mentally comfortable with that setup. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 12:35 PM, wantacigar said:

I play TM Sim2 Max.  Considered loft jacked with a 7i loft of 28.5*.  I played a set of irons for 4 rounds that the 7i was 31*.  Distances were actually quite similar.  Shafts were different flex (Sim2 - KBS Max 85-S  Other: TT Lite R).  I'm 56 and can hit either S or R flex shafts.  Likely going to all R flex in next few years as I age.  I think because the MOI and center of gravity are making the ball fly higher they have to jack the lofts to keep up the distances.  IMHO.....

Shafts, I believe, are more important in club performance than the loft of the club.

Agree, I went for. 712 AP1 to T300’s.  The lofts are “jacked” but distance wise appears to be 1/2 club at most, intend to hit them higher and more spin 

The important thing is knowing how far each club goes, the number on the club really makes no difference, you just have to get all the yardage gaps filled with whatever set you use. My old Ping eye2 6 iron goes exactly the same distance as my new Ping G425 7 iron does so that means I have to add in another wedge at the high end of my new set to fill the gaps.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:39 AM, NorCalHacker77 said:

Agree, I went for. 712 AP1 to T300’s.  The lofts are “jacked” but distance wise appears to be 1/2 club at most, intend to hit them higher and more spin 

I made the same change, and also went from 105T to Nippon 950 NEO.  I have gained a bit of distance, which is not a bad thing at my age.

So jacked lofts can be a benefit for old timers; but if you're hitting 7-iron over 200, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

54 minutes ago, gvogel said:

I made the same change, and also went from 105T to Nippon 950 NEO.  I have gained a bit of distance, which is not a bad thing at my age.

So jacked lofts can be a benefit for old timers; but if you're hitting 7-iron over 200, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Why do you say that? I really don’t know much yet, trying to get better and went for game improvement set I liked the looks of 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorCalHacker77 said:

Why do you say that? I really don’t know much yet, trying to get better and went for game improvement set I liked the looks of 

You picked a fine set of irons.  Me too!

• Like 1

i bought a set of x-forged irons that had traditional lofts (35° 7 iron) years ago and just got used to my yardages and spin with them.  When I was in the market for a new set, i bought a half set with alightly more modern lofts and just felt I didnt have the same distance consitency as before though that could have been for other reasons. 

shortly after when i bought a 4-pw set from haywood golf, I was happy that they offered my traditional lofts in a cb players iron, and Im back to having a more predictable result with my shots.

I hate the concept of lowering lofts and claiming more distance and ball speed, but it probably doesnt matter unless you want to hit a 3-5 iron which of course becomes impossible with modern lofts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 8:47 AM, bluelinegolfer said:

Hello fellow golfers. 

Wondering how many have bought the newer "jacked up lofts" and been disappointed and switched back to the older "traditional lofts"?    Have a set of 2020 Callaway Mavriks and wondering if I made a mistake switching from my Taylormade Rbladez that believe had the traditional lofts even though they were considered "game improvement" when they came out too.   The Mavriks were free so think that might answer the question and just go get on a simulator and maybe get fitted for the right shaft...  any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

I ran into the same thing. Played X14 irons since 2001 and went for a distance iron, the Callaway Mavrik. It was so cool to hit almost two clubs longer but after 3 or 4 rounds I realized they were inconsistent distance wise. Decided I like my X14s way better. Even on mishits they go straight and for the most important part, they go the same distance give or take a couple of yards more or less. The Mavrik 8 iron would sometimes fly one club longer and then 2 clubs longer.. Back pins were scarier than normal. I've tried a couple of other new irons and I still play the x14s. I have upgraded a set of Ping Eye2 irons just to have something different. The first time I played the eye2s I shot my 2nd best score of the year this year and I play a lot being retired.

• Like 1