Jacked Lofts vs Traditional Lofts

Hello fellow golfers. 

Wondering how many have bought the newer "jacked up lofts" and been disappointed and switched back to the older "traditional lofts"?    Have a set of 2020 Callaway Mavriks and wondering if I made a mistake switching from my Taylormade Rbladez that believe had the traditional lofts even though they were considered "game improvement" when they came out too.   The Mavriks were free so think that might answer the question and just go get on a simulator and maybe get fitted for the right shaft...  any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 Driver

Adams Super S Speedline 3 wood

Adams Super LS 3 Hybrid (19*)

Adams Super LS 4 Hybrid (22*)

Callway Mavrik 6-AW

Callaway Mavrik GW (51*)
Callaway JAWS SW (56*)

Odyssey Tank putter

Bridgestone E12 Contact

Not at all disappointed.

IMHO, the lofts on the clubs do not matter.  Proper gapping and consistent front to back dispersion is the most important.  You'll just have to watch the gapping and stay away from clubs that can have "hotter shots" every once in a while.

So, instead of buying the 4-PW set, you'll just have to go one down and add an extra wedge (either from the set or as a traditional wedge).

For example, I was playing 4-PW then 52/56/60 in my old PSIs, but had to go 5-PW then 48/52/56/60 with the Rogue ST Pros due to the slightly lower lofts (hitting it higher though).  I was missing the 125-130 shot without the 48.

Hitting it further, hitting it higher, and holding more greens.

Edited by CactusGolf
  • Like 4

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

6 minutes ago, nitram said:

. . . or two, or three . . .

I'm not really against loft jacking per se, but anytime a manufacturer is calling a 39 degree iron, a "wedge", it's deceiving at best. All they've done is added bounce to an 8-iron (and in some cases a 7) and in most cases shortened the shaft.

Again, if this helps people and their game, carry on. I'm all for whatever helps you score better. But eventually, you'll have to fill the gap between your set PW and 48-50 degrees with a couple more "wedges".

Absolutely!  And I know for me, I prefer the non-set wedges in most cases.  The Rogue ST Pros were an exception as the bounce seemed fairly low.  I actually chip with that club a lot now.

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

I bought a set of T100S and personally could not get over the distances. They were fine clubs, but personally I feel more comfortable with more traditional lofts. A lot of courses even from the tips where I play are not extremely long for me. Definitely understand the reasoning to switch back, especially if you are not looking to reinvent your bag. 

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

Hold on ... RocketBladez are now "traditional lofts"?

• Haha 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

2 hours ago, tatertot said:

Hold on ... RocketBladez are now "traditional lofts"?

Let me clarify by saying rbladez were jacked lofts also but not as jacked as the mavriks but were certainly not "traditional" as my grandfathers irons if that makes sense.  

Edited by bluelinegolfer

Callway Mavrik 6-AW

Callaway Mavrik GW (51*)
Callaway JAWS SW (56*)

Odyssey Tank putter

Bridgestone E12 Contact

The only loft number that matters is your Dynamic Loft at impact.  People deliver the club differently with different levels of shaft lean. 

Static Loft is simply a fitting tool to help an individual get the ball where they want with ideal trajectory.  What is ideal for one person's swing is different from another's.   

What matters even less is what label is stamped at the bottom of the club. 

• Like 4

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

I think its less about loft but the ball speed the comes off the face as well as the spin that is created. I have tested P790 vs Titleist CB 620 irons. Depending on what courses  you are playing. P790s work on soft and slow greens. They cannot be used on fast and firm tournament courses. I have tried it and the land angle is not enough to stop the ball on a firm tournament course. Also some of the P790 balls just come out hot and get a middle of the face jumper that can jump that extra 5-7 yards. with the CB 620 irons you really dont get that jumper and you feel safer with landing on the back edge of the green and staying there. 

in short I will NOT be playing hot jacked loft irons anymore  

Just ranting, but I cannot stand the jacked up lofts we keep seeing. Imo it's being done to help w marketing...make you think you hit it further. All ego. At the end of the day, who cares what the bottom of the club says if I hit the intended shot, but I don't like the feeling that I'm being deceived. I will put my 7i closer than your 8i. I do not care

• Like 1

We're NOT all the same when it comes to swing mechanics or being gullible.  I have been playing 620 Series irons with traditional lofts for quite some time, but lately losing some yardage with each club.  Hoping to recoup a few yards, late last year I bought T100S.  They are fine clubs, except strong lofts are not optimum with my mechanics, club yardages are now more consistent.  But after realizing the mismatch, ordered new T100 3-PW set, which has slightly stronger lofts than my 620 series with a bit more forgiveness.

IME, strong lofts may help with gaining some yardage, but won't overcome the brutal effects of aging.  Thankfully, I can still bring the ball in somewhat low using shaft-lean, and spin to stop the ball.  Stopping the ball on fast or slow greens is about ball striking or spin control, NOT loft.   Until my new T100 irons arrive, I've taken loft off T100S and had MMT 95s put in them.  So far, so good.

Edited by Pepperturbo
Update
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Not a fan of messing with lofts so much, it screws up your whole bag to bag em so for that reason I try to steer clear. If I were to find a set that I absolutely fell in love with, I'd probably consider rearranging my hybrids and wedges to make it work.

• Like 1

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

I prefer more traditional lofts, but generally because I like the added spin and height.

Stronger lofts aren't needed for folks who are good ball strikers. They'll help hit farther, but when you're striking the ball smoothly and well, distance isn't such a problem. Hence the distaste for stronger lofts.

Yet still, some folks like the stronger lofts and just club down to resolve the issue. Either approach works.

But I don't see myself buying stronger lofted clubs, either. To each his or her own...

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

I have two sets of irons that are similar in construction, one piece forgings, and similar in design, players cavity.  One set is 4-GW ranging from 21º to 48º.  The other set is an older set that is 3-PW ranging from 21º to 48º.  Even though all the lofts are the same, it feels like the 4-GW set is easier to hit. Not sure if it's the half inch shorter or slightly heavier heads or placebo, but whatever it is it works. 

I wish one of these YouTubers or Tik Tac golfers would take a set of irons, play with them for a month, then have someone weld in the numbers and replace them with stronger numbers (6 iron becomes the 7 iron), and then play with the same irons with jacked numbers/lofts for a month and see which is better. That would finally put this argument to bed. 

• Like 1

When you put it that way, it really is just a matter of what you call a 7 Iron and what you call a 6 iron. 😄

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

4 hours ago, Llortamaisey said:

I wish one of these YouTubers or Tik Tac golfers would take a set of irons, play with them for a month, then have someone weld in the numbers and replace them with stronger numbers (6 iron becomes the 7 iron), and then play with the same irons with jacked numbers/lofts for a month and see which is better. That would finally put this argument to bed. 

Exactly.... my only dilemma with the mavriks is the wedges... the PW is lofted at 41* and the AW is lofted at 46* so that left me with a 10* gap to 56* so i bought a mavrik 51*  but still think my wedge gapping is off.  I still hit the 7 iron 150-155 most of the time even though the loft is jacked and have always hit it that far so i don't necessarily worry about the lofts until 9 iron thru wedges

Edited by bluelinegolfer

Callway Mavrik 6-AW

Callaway Mavrik GW (51*)
Callaway JAWS SW (56*)

Odyssey Tank putter

Bridgestone E12 Contact

Honestly, I always found it a lot easier to cover the wedge gap with swing moderation. More often than not, the 9I and PW are clubs that I have the largest difference in short and long distances because I'll use them in different scenarios. So having a big gap up there doesn't tick me off so much.

The one thing about the Players Distance irons is their design and overall forgiveness based on the springy faces and larger area for strikes to be considered acceptable. It essentially enabled the player to carry a 3-Iron in their bag whilst adding an extra wedge to the bag. So instead of 3-PW it's 4-GW. That also works toward the idea of game improvement. So really, the lofts are the same, the heads are just hollow and there's an opportunity for another wedge to fit into the set.

So it makes perfect sense from the marketing standpoint. And you know the real difference in hitting the 3 & 4 iron is the feeling you get when you pull the 3-Iron out of the bag. (teeth chattering)

Not everybody out there is a purist like me who wants to grow into his clubs and decides to buy blades when he probably should be buying CBs or even Hollows.... LOL

But I know I'll improve my skills with them.

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy

Last year I came back after 15 years off and immediately took my trusty X-14s for regrip. Hit them well but eventually the idea of “modern” irons sold me and I began a trek of upgrades. Went with the T300 and loved the distance and the way the ball flew off the face. What I didn’t love was that about 1 in 15 shots would be about 15 yards longer than expected. I also didn’t like the gaps. For my poor swing, I hit the 7 through 9 iron well but the 43 and 48 wedges had gaps that were too large for me. I also had weird gaps in the irons. 7 iron was 165 but then 8 was 145 and 9 was more than 135, closer to 138-140. 

I don’t know, could have been something weird with my set or whatever but I went back to callaway, Apex DCB. I hit them well,  not as far as the T300s but so far they seem more consistent without the random flier and I can also feel confident in a number when I grab a club. Oddly enough, I still miss the consistency I had with those old X-14s …

On 8/14/2023 at 8:47 AM, bluelinegolfer said:

Hello fellow golfers. 

Wondering how many have bought the newer "jacked up lofts" and been disappointed and switched back to the older "traditional lofts"?    Have a set of 2020 Callaway Mavriks and wondering if I made a mistake switching from my Taylormade Rbladez that believe had the traditional lofts even though they were considered "game improvement" when they came out too.   The Mavriks were free so think that might answer the question and just go get on a simulator and maybe get fitted for the right shaft...  any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

I haven't the rest of the replies (will after this) but it's funny you posted this because I just did this.   I was also playing RBladez irons going on 3 years and absolutely love them.  One of the reasons is they have traditional modern lofts (47* PW) and my gapping is almost perfect (large gap between PW and 52*).  I've hit friends jacked loft irons and the PW was flying as far as the 8I.  I saw no benefit in that.

Out of fun I ordered a J33 Combo which are even more traditionally lofted.  They are about a club shorter than the RBladez but my gapping in the short irons are so much better. And these are surprisingly forgiving for a small head.  I've shot 3 of my best rounds of the year the past three rounds once I got over the mental of hurdle of hitting a 5I in spots that I would probably hit a 6 or even 7.  The results have been iron shots that are dead on targete.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

There is more to it than just the loft but I'm not going to get into that, but as mentioned above impact dynamics really play into it. But it also seems like people are not taking the time to learn their distances and bend lofts accordingly to get proper gapping as well. I'm in the middle of that right now and will have my lofts bent to get proper gapping and I'll be good with my "jacked lofts" up top and "modern traditional" in the lower irons. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Honestly, it's a freaking golden age for golf equipment. Regardless of how you like the lofts, you didn't have this kind of customization years ago for regular Joe's and Jane's.

What's not to like? 😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, achappy said:

I've shot 3 of my best rounds of the year the past three rounds once I got over the mental of hurdle of hitting a 5I in spots that I would probably hit a 6 or even 7.  The results have been iron shots that are dead on targete.

Interesting comment.  I didn't know 2 handicaps had the same "mental hurdles" us mere mortals routinely have.  

I recently got a higher lofted set of iron heads (pw at 47 degrees and GW at 51 degrees).  Took a few rounds to mentally disregard the number on the iron and focus on the loft in choosing which club to use.  After a few rounds,  I am dialing the distance in and am hitting more GIR than previously and scoring better as a result.  🙂 Golf being what it is, since I'm hitting more GIR, I now half expect that my putting will soon go to total cr@p and I will be searching for a new putter to fix things.  😞 

On 8/14/2023 at 7:47 AM, bluelinegolfer said:

Hello fellow golfers. 

I recently bought some “jacked loft” Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro irons. I bent them 2 degrees weak so, sort of traditional? They spin a lot more and always seeing more loft on a club gives me confidence.

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Diamana GT 60 S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 5W Tensei Blue 65 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Callaway Jaws Raw 54* & 58*
Odyssey 5K #7 34”

When you look at the lofts of Hogans clubs (below), especially the short irons, maybe today's clubs aren't as jacked as we thought.

63g812kuvjeu.jpg

• Like 3

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Here are the lofts for my 2023 Cobra King Tours:

image.png.fff0a5a8dd5aee40ccb61c224f3693b4.png

The MIM's are even closer to Hogan's loft specs.

I wonder though if people are lumping the SGI and GI club lofts into the mix as well?

image.png.96dfc1a322d2f6ce9ea9b0646a0eba06.png

Cobra LTDx 9º Driver HZRDUS Blue RDX 6.5 

Cobra Radspeed 3wood 14½º Motore X F3 6S

Bullet Ti-Lies 7wood (mid 1990's) Harrison Pro shaft XS

2023 Cobra King Tec Utility 2 iron 17º KBS $-Taper Lite stiff

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-GW Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105s

Kirkland V2 Wedges

2024 Odyssey AI Cruiser Jailbird

Winn Dri-Tac Wrap Standard grips

Kirkland V3 Performance Plus | Callaway ERC soft | Vice Pro/Plus 

I play TM Sim2 Max.  Considered loft jacked with a 7i loft of 28.5*.  I played a set of irons for 4 rounds that the 7i was 31*.  Distances were actually quite similar.  Shafts were different flex (Sim2 - KBS Max 85-S  Other: TT Lite R).  I'm 56 and can hit either S or R flex shafts.  Likely going to all R flex in next few years as I age.  I think because the MOI and center of gravity are making the ball fly higher they have to jack the lofts to keep up the distances.  IMHO.....

Shafts, I believe, are more important in club performance than the loft of the club.

• Like 1