2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Champagne Tony 1964 Golden Gate

I saw a Tony Lema 3 iron at a thrift store in decent shape for $5 so I had to have it 

I know that loft and length creep makes modern irons stronger and longer, but is a 1964 Tony Lema Golden Gate 3iron really the same length as a modern 5 iron, or was this Champagne Tony 3 iron cut to fit somebody’s specs?

I figured that the club lengths have only lengthened a 1/2 inch over time, not a full inch… wow!

I like to pick up random clubs that I find interesting to hit at the range, whether it be this iron, or a nostalgia iron like my Diawa Hi-Trac Plus Wedge which was the first set of clubs I ever owned, and played on my High School golf team with…… memories 😊 A8700D1E-6CFC-4E69-9388-96816ED723C9.jpeg.d019ca25514b116cae22af0a75faa5d0.jpeg

C860886E-2F51-49A9-A0E8-74D83C0F280E.jpeg

40F711B2-C4E5-4477-9467-47CF4475BFA4.jpeg

4AC662F9-CA5B-4392-85B8-11187EEBE36F.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I saw a Tony Lema 3 iron at a thrift store in decent shape for $5 so I had to have it 

I know that loft and length creep makes modern irons stronger and longer, but is a 1964 Tony Lema Golden Gate 3iron really the same length as a modern 5 iron, or was this Champagne Tony 3 iron cut to fit somebody’s specs?

I figured that the club lengths have only lengthened a 1/2 inch over time, not a full inch… wow!

I like to pick up random clubs that I find interesting to hit at the range, whether it be this iron, or a nostalgia iron like my Diawa Hi-Trac Plus Wedge which was the first set of clubs I ever owned, and played on my High School golf team with…… memories 😊 A8700D1E-6CFC-4E69-9388-96816ED723C9.jpeg.d019ca25514b116cae22af0a75faa5d0.jpeg

C860886E-2F51-49A9-A0E8-74D83C0F280E.jpeg

40F711B2-C4E5-4477-9467-47CF4475BFA4.jpeg

4AC662F9-CA5B-4392-85B8-11187EEBE36F.jpeg

How long is it?

And remember that depending on how a company measures its clubs, there can be at least 1/4" difference between, say, a 5-iron across different OEMs.

38 inches (and 24 degrees) was standard for a 3 iron at one time, then it went to 38.5 and on from there.  I don't know what the standard for a 3 iron is today since they've mostly stopped making them.  The first iron in a modern standard set is the 4 which must be because it is the 4th club in the set (Driver, fairway wood, hybrid, 4 Iron).  Often times it seems that 4 iron is 18 or 19 degrees.   

That one looks like it has more hosel than head!  People thought the Miura Baby Blades were small.  Still, I'd love to take a swing with it.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

4 minutes ago, bcstones said:

Interesting I...I just left a post in the Northwestern post, I have Fernquest & Johnson Golden Gate 2 iron...w/F&J medium shaft that matches a normal 2 iron length, comparing to another 2 iron. Don't know age of the club, tho.

F&J:TL2.jpg

The age would be the first 2 digits on the ferrule 

The one I have starts with 64’

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shallowface said:

38 inches (and 24 degrees) was standard for a 3 iron at one time, then it went to 38.5 and on from there.  I don't know what the standard for a 3 iron is today since they've mostly stopped making them.  The first iron in a modern standard set is the 4 which must be because it is the 4th club in the set (Driver, fairway wood, hybrid, 4 Iron).  Often times it seems that 4 iron is 18 or 19 degrees.   

That one looks like it has more hosel than head!  People thought the Miura Baby Blades were small.  Still, I'd love to take a swing with it.

It’s 38 inches, which is my 5 iron length in my Mizuno HMB’s 

it looks more lofted than my 5 iron which is 22° and very flat as well, but I haven’t any way to measure the lie angle without making a template

1 hour ago, Drivingrangehero said:

it looks more lofted than my 5 iron which is 22° and very flat as well, but I haven’t any way to measure the lie angle without making a template

Great example of loft creep! My stuck in a time warp mind still expects a 5 iron to be around 28/29* so yours is at least 2 clubs stronger than traditional or, in simple terms, is an old school 3 iron.

I remember reading stats when Calloway released their Apex irons and being surprised to see the 7 iron listed at 27*. At the time I was playing Hogan Apex II irons from 1978 and found that my 4 iron had the same loft (26.5*) and was within 1/8" of the same shaft length as the new 7 Apex iron. At that point I realised that if it quacks like a duck, walks and swims like a duck then it probably is a duck and that I was not being penalised on distance playing my vintage gear when comparing loft for loft and ignoring the number stamped on the sole.

Technological advances or marketing? I let others ponder that and enjoy my golf with classic gear.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I believe 58 degrees would be the standard lie for a 3 iron from that era.

• Confused 1

--Rory McIlroy 

4 hours ago, Foozle said:

Great example of loft creep! My stuck in a time warp mind still expects a 5 iron to be around 28/29* so yours is at least 2 clubs stronger than traditional or, in simple terms, is an old school 3 iron.

I remember reading stats when Calloway released their Apex irons and being surprised to see the 7 iron listed at 27*. At the time I was playing Hogan Apex II irons from 1978 and found that my 4 iron had the same loft (26.5*) and was within 1/8" of the same shaft length as the new 7 Apex iron. At that point I realised that if it quacks like a duck, walks and swims like a duck then it probably is a duck and that I was not being penalised on distance playing my vintage gear when comparing loft for loft and ignoring the number stamped on the sole.

Technological advances or marketing? I let others ponder that and enjoy my golf with classic gear.

I looked at a used PXG 7 iron in a Play It Again Sports store recently and had to take a second look at the sole because at first glance I would have sworn I was looking at a 4 iron.

We have the in-store launch monitor to thank for loft creep.  The customer is going to buy the set with the 7 iron he hits the furthest according to the launch monitor, regardless of the specs, and then go out and hold it under the nose of his regular playing partners and act as if all of a sudden he's better than they are.

Maturity and intelligence wise it's "my feet are bigger than your feet" level stuff.  You have to hand it to the manufacturers for having a excellent grasp of the mentality of their customers.    

• Like 1

--Rory McIlroy 

6 hours ago, Foozle said:

My last set before the Mizuno HMB’s were Mizuno MP-67’s which had a 22° 3 iron and a 48° wedge, they were also 1/4 inch shorter (standard length in 2006) than the present day Mizuno offerings. 

A friend of mine had Taylormade M4 irons, his 7 iron was 7.5° stronger than my MP-67’s and 1/4 inch longer playing length. 

I remember my grandfathers clubs were Sam Snead Signature irons from the 50s maybe ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  (They were beat with the chrome flaking off) , and I hit them a fair bit shorter than my Wilson Staff Progressive’s from 1993 and my PW was 49°, I’m betting his were 2-3° weaker than mine. 

Last weekend I played at my home club with my father in-law whom was visiting. I was driving the ball fairly well, so for fun, I tee’d up a Golden Bear ball after I hit my first drive on a dogleg left hole that fits my eye with a Bridgestone BX ball, the Golden Bear flew about 25y shorter. 

It’s no wonder that when watching golf classics you may see a great ball striker like Trevino hitting a 4iron from 176y back in the 70s. The 4 irons were like some modern 7irons, plus hitting a ball that is much shorter. 

Im thinking of mixing an eclectic bunch of clubs that have some interesting shapes, or nostalgic sentiments to bang around for fun. The Tony Lema club struck my eye due to the super square toe. 😂 

6 hours ago, Shallowface said:

We have the in-store launch monitor to thank for loft creep. 

No we don't. Loft creep on clubs (mostly irons) started long before launch monitors ever existed. In the late 80's (possibly earlier) PW of 48/49* started appearing regularly in iron sets down from iron sets with 50/52* PW just a few years earlier.

Cobra in the early 1990's blew loft creep of iron sets wide on with an iron set that had a 43* PW (King Cobra I Oversize). Who knew that distance sold? /sarcasm alert.

And the loft of that Cobra set wasn't because of lower and deeper COG's and longer irons lengths that keeps getting passed off as the reason for the strong lofted irons of today. Especially when many of the strong lofted iron sets now have higher vertical COG than sets that were traditionally lofted. 

** Didn't mean to get off subject on the Tony Lema club but the above statement on loft creep is just flat out wrong. Non iron related I guess a 17* 3 wood, 23* 5 wood or 27.5* 7 wood from the early 1980's is also because of launch monitors LOL!. 

Edited by grm24
spelling
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, grm24 said:

No we don't. Loft creep on clubs (mostly irons) started long before launch monitors ever existed. In the late 80's (possibly earlier) PW of 48/49* started appearing regularly in iron sets down from iron sets with 50/52* PW just a few years earlier.

Cobra in the early 1990's blew loft creep of iron sets wide on with an iron set that had a 43* PW (King Cobra I Oversize). Who knew that distance sold? /sarcasm alert.

And the loft of that Cobra set wasn't because of lower and deeper COG's and longer irons lengths that keeps getting passed off as the reason for the strong lofted irons of today. Especially when many of the strong lofted iron sets now have higher vertical COG than sets that were traditionally lofted. 

** Didn't mean to get off subject on the Tony Lema club but the above statement on loft creep is just flat out wrong. Non iron related I guess a 17* 3 wood, 23* 5 wood or 27.5* 7 wood from the early 1980's is also because of launch monitors LOL!. 

It's true it started with the King Cobra.  They used the demo days of the time to sell that product.

But even the manufacturers of today who have continued to engage in the practice will tell you that launch monitors in stores have played a major role in forcing them to do it.

But, you still get credit for a half sack.  Enjoy that endorphin rush, and post of video of your dance if you have time.

LOL

--Rory McIlroy 

as for "loft creep".....I blame Arnie's Army - who just loved his "smack the ball w/every fiber in your body" attack. Cuz then the golf business saw how to cash in.....by making "distance" the most important aspect of golf. And the ever wanna-be pro's bought it all (pun intended). @Jiggered had it correct in one of his videos on YouTube...

Holy Square Toe!!!

• Haha 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 8/18/2023 at 10:35 PM, Drivingrangehero said:

I tee’d up a Golden Bear ball after I hit my first drive on a dogleg left hole that fits my eye with a Bridgestone BX ball, the Golden Bear flew about 25y shorter. 

It’s no wonder that when watching golf classics you may see a great ball striker like Trevino hitting a 4iron from 176y back in the 70s. The 4 irons were like some modern 7irons, plus hitting a ball that is much shorter. 

A golf ball that old will have lost *significant* distance, due purely to age.  I would suggest essentially all of that 25 yard difference you saw would be due only to that.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

A golf ball that old will have lost *significant* distance, due purely to age.  I would suggest essentially all of that 25 yard difference you saw would be due only to that.

I wasn’t aware of that balls lose their pop over time without being hit, I figured it was due to impact and scuffing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I have a shag bag of about 70 golf balls from the oldest I’m assuming being the Golden Bear, or some that just say Korea on them, to some Titleist professionals, or Titleist DT90/SoLo’s as well 

I usually hit little chip shots with the Titleist Professionals and let my daughters (6&3y) color the Titleist DT 90’s or SoLo’s that they like to practice putting with 

Modern solid balls are much better at retaining "pop" but wound balls will certainly degrade, the time it takes will depend on how they're stored but all wound balls will have degraded compared to when they were new.

This is why it would be brilliant if a new ball with the characteristics of a balata were to be produced so that we could relive the experiences of the greats gone by.

• Like 2

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs