2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

If score was number 1 priority?

David87

For me it just comes down to hitting greens, so it would have to be a good set of irons and wedges.  It's why I keep going back to Srixon irons, and for the last two rounds, my Vokey wedges.  Both rounds I have seen a drastic improvement in my GIR and overall score.  Shot my best round ever hitting only 6 FIR so getting to the green is most important.  I'm a decent putter, good enough to two putt and get out, but will drop a couple birdies a round if I am given the opportunities.  Right now, I have my bag kind of right where I want it for the lowest possible score, then, it's all on me.

G430 Max driver - hitting the ball more consistently in the fairway and near it.

G430 LST 3w - thing just wants to go straight and does not hook on me.  Plenty of distance. 

G430 hybrid (19) - BEST hybrid I have ever hit.  Launches well and flies straight.  

Srixon MKii zx7/Z forged - maybe slightly above my ability but I hit them better than any other iron I have tried in the last year.

Vokey 50F/54D/58M - I am most comfortable with this wedge set up.  50/54 are great everywhere, 58M does anything I need it to.

Scotty Cameron GoLo - Not the 5, the larger model, this thing is easy to line up and the SB neck seems to be perfect for me.  

In the end, it all comes down to limiting the horrible decisions on the course and concentrating on getting myself in positions to score.  But this bag has me flying high in the confidence area.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"

Funny you'd ask this specific question. 

This morning I was watching a video on youtube, specifically the most recent NLU (No Laying Up) video at Marco Semone GC in Rome, Italy. Soly and DJ were playing match play. Both are single-digit HC, Soly may even be a +2 I think. So both were hitting driver, and not finding the fairway on most off-the-tee shots, and costing themselves a stroke when in the waist-high rough or OB or water. And several times, after striking the driver off-line, each one would IMMEDIATELY express regret and say something like, "Should have hit 4i off the tee just to stay in the fairway!" BUT they also said a couple times, "IF you hadn't hit driver off the tee, I wouldn't have felt the pressure to hit driver too" and also, "I had to hit driver just to keep up with him." And things like that several times by each player through the match. 

And I thought how true of so many of us: How often does ego get the best of us, make us pull a club we know we shouldn't hit yet do anyway? A lot! SO to the OP's point. Which club would I drop? I don't know. I know if driver is normally a strength, but was off that day, THAT would be the club I would not hit for the rest of the day, after even just 3 wayward shots. 4i or, for me, 4h, or even 6h or 7w off the tee under pressure to beat you or even put the pressure back on you? You bet! IF I don't have my best stuff, AND I have money on the line, or even match play with buddies for braggin' rights, I'm going to hit the club I strike the most consistently, even if I have to lay back, and I'm gonna hit whatever I have to hit to keep in play and just wait for YOUR ego to get the best of you, wait for YOU to make a mistake, then capitalize on that mistake. That's the club I'm dropping and that's the club I'm hitting. Every. Single. Time. 

• Like 1

It doesn't matter whether you're keeping score, playing for money, or just playing for fun.  The object of the game is to get the ball into the hole in the lowest amount of strokes possible.  There's no one out there aimlessly blasting the ball to hell and gone for no reason, every shot is an effort to move the ball as close to the hole as possible. 

• Like 2

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

1 hour ago, Nixhex524 said:

For me it just comes down to hitting greens, so it would have to be a good set of irons and wedges.  It's why I keep going back to Srixon irons, and for the last two rounds, my Vokey wedges.  Both rounds I have seen a drastic improvement in my GIR and overall score.  Shot my best round ever hitting only 6 FIR so getting to the green is most important.  I'm a decent putter, good enough to two putt and get out, but will drop a couple birdies a round if I am given the opportunities.  Right now, I have my bag kind of right where I want it for the lowest possible score, then, it's all on me.

G430 Max driver - hitting the ball more consistently in the fairway and near it.

G430 LST 3w - thing just wants to go straight and does not hook on me.  Plenty of distance. 

G430 hybrid (19) - BEST hybrid I have ever hit.  Launches well and flies straight.  

Srixon MKii zx7/Z forged - maybe slightly above my ability but I hit them better than any other iron I have tried in the last year.

Vokey 50F/54D/58M - I am most comfortable with this wedge set up.  50/54 are great everywhere, 58M does anything I need it to.

Scotty Cameron GoLo - Not the 5, the larger model, this thing is easy to line up and the SB neck seems to be perfect for me.  

In the end, it all comes down to limiting the horrible decisions on the course and concentrating on getting myself in positions to score.  But this bag has me flying high in the confidence area.

Well stated and I wish more people could recognize that green hitting is THE KEY to lower scores.....find a way to accomplish that....since playing  i230s I've hit 14, 14 and 15 GIR'S shooting 70 each round ....could have been lower but no complaints on my part !!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MelloYello said:

I think most folks go one way or the other. I have friends who value their family time over everything and they've basically slowly given up on golf over the years. 

The people who choose to preserve golf in their lives pretty much do so because they love the game and that usually has a lot to do with preserving relationships and being active in some group that organizes regular (competitive) rounds among it's members. Most of these groups are more than 4 guys, mind you. I'm thinking of groups that have text chains and regular tee times and leaders who organize the pairings, etc. So it might be 12 guys or 16 or 20 or what have you. 

In my experience, every golfer is trending towards the former (who ultimately gives up on golf) or the latter (because they're addicted to it, LOL). 

I also think you're probably taking money games too seriously. It's like saying I'd rather go to the bar with a friend versus going alone. It's just human nature to want to be around others and with a sport the competition is natural.

If I were in a billiards league or bowling league it'd be the same. You don't have to be perfect, but you're there because you want to participate and the nature of that is friendly competition. 

I think that's generally easy to understand, yeah? 

Yeah its like playing ranked in a competitive video game vs. chilling in normals. There are different degrees of tryharding in ranked depending on how much you really care and generally less serious and less care is better longer term so I feel what you are saying. I can play video games I really enjoy for a lot of time without needing that sort of extra competitive element added, however, and I kind of view golf in the same way in terms of intrinsic fun.

• Haha 1

Well the no fun easiest/general answers to this hypothetical are:

1. Spend the time we focus on gear practicing.

2. Spend the $ we spend on gear on lessons.  
3. Spend what little time we spend practicing at the range more around the greens. 
And for those of us getting older/slowing down:

4. Ditch the 3W for a 5w

5. Ditch our longest iron for a hybrid - maybe 2

6. Learn to pitch with PW and SW and not always Lw 

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I play once a week in a skins game and struggle to break 80 as a 4 HCP. Always going for every par 5 in two isn't my usual game. 

Now, looking at your bag you could probably just drop the 4i and possibly look at adding another wedge. The question becomes, how often would you use another wedge vs. the 4h?

I find with essentially four wedges I have much tighter gaps from 100 yards in, where I need the tight gaps. 

I've got 49, 52, 56, and 60. Food for thought, although I think practicing with a launch monitor and practicing all shots from 60 yards in would help more than a equipment change

8 hours ago, blades_are_life said:

Yeah its like playing ranked in a competitive video game vs. chilling in normals. There are different degrees of tryharding in ranked depending on how much you really care and generally less serious and less care is better longer term so I feel what you are saying. I can play video games I really enjoy for a lot of time without needing that sort of extra competitive element added, however, and I kind of view golf in the same way in terms of intrinsic fun.

Yeah, I'm 37 and between 20-30 it was all sweaty CoD lobbies for me and my friends. Ah, the good times, LOL!

I think for me, I want competition and if I get smoked by a "better player" than great. It's a learning experience. It's a chance to see what someone on the next level is doing. 

I wouldn't know how to describe CoD without it being a sweaty session of try-harding, haha. That's the point. 

I heard Stacy Lewis talking about being competitive the other day. Someone mentioned how you can get angry and be negative or you can get angry and challenge yourself to do something better. Stacy's response was that frustration shows you care. So first, that's not a bad thing. I'd rather play with someone who cared because they'll be more likely to practice, to play, to organize future golf, etc. Not caring is really the first stage of quitting. 

To that end, I haven't played CoD in years. At some point I stopped caring and it made sense to stop playing altogether. Most of that was losing my friends to busy lives that didn't allow for as much play as when we were in college. 

And along those lines, that's the point of being competitive with golf--it's a community of people with a shared interest. Competition and the relationships you form go hand-in-hand. People who see competitive as anti-social or view "fun, relaxed golf" as the way to do it are just missing the whole point IMHO. 

Being competitive comes from caring and caring is the root of shared interest / community. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

On 8/28/2023 at 8:28 AM, David87 said:

Hi WRX,

Greetings from Denmark.

What would your bag consist of if scoring low was your number 1 priority?

I am a ~6 handicapper and the below is my current set of clubs:

TSR2 driver

TSI2 3-wood

TSI2 7-Wood

JPX Forged 923 4-PW

Vokey 49, 54, 60

Scotty Cameron Phantom X8.5

For lowering the 18 hole scoring average:

Drop the driver (3-wood is more accurate produces more than enough distance to shoot lower scores)

Add a 5-wood ( good for tee box play, better than a 3-wood for fairway play, also can be played from light rough)

Replace the 4-iron with a 4-hybrid.( better for playing from the rough or other less than ideal lies)

Drop the 7-wood (not a versatile enough club)

Add a 64* wedge (easiest club with which to play greenside shots requiring high trajectory)

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I think it's hilarious that people immediately assume that someone playing less forgiving clubs is doing so because they have an out of control ego. 

Talk about projection. 

Agreed... and on that note, I'm playing some Titleist blades from the 80's this weekend.  Of all the sets of irons I've owned these are by far the least forgiving, but you know what... they're FUN!  Would I score better with modern/GI irons?  Most likely.  Would it be as fun for me... not a chance. 

We're even making it so that everyone in our group has to play them on every par 3.  Because you know... fun.

If your idea of fun is a low score... more power to you.  You're in the majority.  But my idea of fun is having fun.  My score is a far distant second.  Or third.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For me I have made changes to make sure every club in my bag has a purpose. I try to practice at home everyday but still play forgiving clubs because I am no pro. I am not an elite ball striker. I just want to have fun, be outside for a few hours. Get some exercise.

Driver Epic Max LS (testing a different shaft to help keep it more in play). I also embrace using the driver off the tee and needing to find a reason not to use it. Also still gives great distance while being forgiving.

4w/7w. Learned woods are just easier to play

Caley DI. Currently testing it so using it a lot to get lots of data. However, I feel this will be kicking out my 4i (unless a play a open windy course, then may drop the 7w that day). Great second tee club and descent rescue club

PXG '19 0211 irons. MOI matched. Progressive set. Gives the best of both worlds.

Std Cleveland wedges, original zipcores

DF2.1. Makes putting much more simple. Less thinking and just pure putting.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

4 minutes ago, Kmagnuss said:

............If your idea of fun is a low score... more power to you.  You're in the majority.  But my idea of fun is having fun.  My score is a far distant second.  Or third.

I know that's right!!

If I'm not in a tournament or getting paid to play, then my "score" doesn't matter to me.

• Like 1

Driver--Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ProjectX Cypher Black

FW-4/7 woods--Callaway Paradym

Irons 4-5--Callaway Apex

Irons 6-PW--Callaway RazrX w/steel Uniflex-- shafts

F2 Series Gap Wedge 52* degree

SW-Cleveland CBX 56*

Putter--Odyssey White Steel

Ball-Srixon or Bridgestone E6

My equipment isn't holding me back - I'm the only thing in the way of scoring lower.

If I truly wanted to be a much better golfer, equipment would be the last thing I would be focusing on. 

Instead I would be hiring a golf coach, hiring a fitness coach, and spending lots of time grinding on the practice range with professional guidance, and working on elevating my physical and mental fitness to peak levels.

But golf is purely a hobby for me, so I approach the sport with the mindset that I'm out on the course to have fun. Love it when I shoot well, but when I don't, I have to remind myself it's just a game and why I'm out on the course.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 1:06 PM, Phebus said:

I agree, if I thought a different setup or the way I played a course would help me score better, I’d be either using or doing it as soon as possible. 

That’s why I’m always on here and buy so many different clubs. Always trying to score better. I don’t care what it looks like. If it will help me score. I’m all in. 

Damn it man, you're a WRXer! You know that pride and ego can't be taken away with the wave of a magic wand! They're the things we carry with us, the things that make us who we are. If we lose them, we lose ourselves. I don't want my ego taken away, I need my ego!

😄

Star Trek Wow GIF

• Haha 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter