Return of PGA Tour Q School

SkiSchoolPro

On 9/13/2023 at 2:22 PM, jdl said:

In essence, the entire FedEx Fall is a mini-season to regain status if you finished the reg season outside the top 125 (while also acting as a reshuffle for those inside the top 125 who fall out).

Pros and cons depending on your position. There are some pretty good purses to play for in the fall with relatively weak fields, so good for anyone who gets into those events. Otoh, many graduating KF players are probably hurt the most as they won't get to take advantage of the fall events to earn bigger checks and get a jump start on earning points to make the playoffs and keep their card. The last 2 parts are true for everyone who plays well in the fall (except for winners who get multi-year status).

Overall, I see this as an improvement, but it could be better if the top 10-15 on the KF at the start of the Fall series get their cards for the following year AND a chance to compete for the bigger fall purses. (I haven't done a detailed look as to how many KF guys are playing in Napa, but it doesn't seem like there is a specific category for them to get in). I've also said for a while that there should be a combined PGA/KF point list to cover guys who bounce between both tours.

8 hours ago, SkiSchoolPro said:

In essence, the entire FedEx Fall is a mini-season to regain status if you finished the reg season outside the top 125 (while also acting as a reshuffle for those inside the top 125 who fall out).

Pros and cons depending on your position. There are some pretty good purses to play for in the fall with relatively weak fields, so good for anyone who gets into those events. Otoh, many graduating KF players are probably hurt the most as they won't get to take advantage of the fall events to earn bigger checks and get a jump start on earning points to make the playoffs and keep their card. The last 2 parts are true for everyone who plays well in the fall (except for winners who get multi-year status).

Overall, I see this as an improvement, but it could be better if the top 10-15 on the KF at the start of the Fall series get their cards for the following year AND a chance to compete for the bigger fall purses. (I haven't done a detailed look as to how many KF guys are playing in Napa, but it doesn't seem like there is a specific category for them to get in). I've also said for a while that there should be a combined PGA/KF point list to cover guys who bounce between both tours.

KF guys are playing KF finals. Agree there's no real reason not to have combined points.

13 hours ago, SkiSchoolPro said:

Graduating KF players (who are playing finals) start 2024 with an even slate of points like everyone else will. 

On 9/4/2023 at 5:46 AM, jdl said:

Here's where you can find all the sites, scoring, etc. The pre-qualifying sites have fields listed already. Always interesting to see some of the names that show up...

https://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolfw/pgatq/schedule/upcoming.htm

They're using our home course (Big V) as one of the locations for 2nd stage at the end of November. There are some very gettable holes but some that can destroy rounds. It's a 1965 RTJ Sr. course that they renovated last year by Frye Straka. It's also the home of the '98 LA Open where Tiger lost in a playoff to Billy Mayfair. It will be exciting to see how these guys dissect it. 

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

8 hours ago, Creedo77 said:

Graduating KF players (who are playing finals) start 2024 with an even slate of points like everyone else will. 

Correct, BUT in recent seasons, many of the big names played a relatively light fall schedule which left room for the end of summer KF grads (and other lower eligibility players) to get into fields and earn points. With the new format, I expect stronger early season (now January instead of September) fields with fewer spots available for KF and lower eligibility players.

I.e. Lucas Herbert won the Bermuda Championship with a very weak field in October in his 3rd PGA start after earning his card in KF finals 2021. https://www.owgr.com/events/butterfield-bermuda-championship-9331

In 2022, Taylor Montgomery graduated from KF in August, and then finished solo 3rd in Napa followed by t 9, 13, 10, 57, 15 before Thanksgiving in moderate to weak fields.

https://www.owgr.com/playerprofile/taylor-montgomery-25442?tab=events&year=2022

2 hours ago, SkiSchoolPro said:

Correct, BUT in recent seasons, many of the big names played a relatively light fall schedule which left room for the end of summer KF grads (and other lower eligibility players) to get into fields and earn points. With the new format, I expect stronger early season (now January instead of September) fields with fewer spots available for KF and lower eligibility players.

I.e. Lucas Herbert won the Bermuda Championship with a very weak field in October in his 3rd PGA start after earning his card in KF finals 2021. https://www.owgr.com/events/butterfield-bermuda-championship-9331

In 2022, Taylor Montgomery graduated from KF in August, and then finished solo 3rd in Napa followed by t 9, 13, 10, 57, 15 before Thanksgiving in moderate to weak fields.

https://www.owgr.com/playerprofile/taylor-montgomery-25442?tab=events&year=2022

Fields will still be weak, signature events will be the reason. 

If at the same time next year KF guys have to play the fall series, then I don’t see them lacking any opportunities. The fields will be similar to what we see this coming fall

On 9/3/2023 at 7:49 AM, BNGL said:

I’m torn, love that it’s back (it even got this old fat POS to give it a shot, headed to pre q in a couple weeks) but also didn’t miss it and thought personally the route into the Korn Ferry/Web/Nationwide was the better route. It takes a lot to develop a PGA Tour game and tbh the Korn Ferry does a tremendous job of that.
A lot of players though, back when they changed it to Web qualifying (it might have still been Nationwide?), were against it. The PAC at the time basically told Finchem it’s one of the most unique things about the PGA Tour and to kill the dream wouldn’t be a great idea at least amongst players, and I’ll tell this story again but Finchem and and Padzger came into a PAC meeting said we’re thinking of getting rid of the direct route to the Tour players voiced their opposition Finchem walked out and Padzger said, “guys it’s already done” 

This fat POS made it through to 1st....

• Like 4

On 9/22/2023 at 9:42 PM, jimecherry said:

congrats what state are you playing 1st stage in

edit: george bryan also made it through to 1st stage

Thank you very much appreciate it! 

Don't know yet, although they were quick to ask for more money! Should find out once the final PreQ stage is done.

Did not play great but did not play bad, in an effort to keep it anonymous, I was not medalist but was T2 second after the first day and knew I was in when I signed card on the last day. Lots of stuff to work on, but played solidly. 

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, jdl said:

First stage started at 4 sites yesterday, AZ, FL, NE and OK.

its kind of crazy how big first stage is its 70+ players per site 13 sites 4 rounds and spread out across 3 weeks. if every player had to pay an entry fee, which they dont with tons of exemptions and reduced fee opportunities,  you would be looking @ 3 to 4 million in fees alone.

3 hours ago, jimecherry said:

its kind of crazy how big first stage is its 70+ players per site 13 sites 4 rounds and spread out across 3 weeks. if every player had to pay an entry fee, which they dont with tons of exemptions and reduced fee opportunities,  you would be looking @ 3 to 4 million in fees alone.

Shhhhh.... you're saying the quiet part out loud.  You're not supposed to do that.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jimecherry said:

Pretty sure all players have to pay to play first stage?

10 hours ago, BNGL said:

This fat POS crashed and burned. I gave it a good honest effort, played great posted 71.25 average through the 7 rounds I played (1 sub 70 round at pre and 2 sub 70 at 1st stage). I played my butt off, but did not come close this past week. And I am so glad I did it and really proud of myself. I made it further than I thought I would tbh. After briefly holding the lead at pre and hanging around the top 10 at 1st I'll admit I thought this is easy it isn't. But don't let than detract any one of you for trying, seriously go do it as the great philosopher Drake says, "[...] you only live once" debating on doing a write up or just leaving this up for questions, ill go with the latter if any of y'all have anything feel free be glad to answer them. 

Many thanks for the kind messages and support! It was much appreciated! 

I think you're being a little hard on yourself.  I wouldn't call it crashing and burning.  2 doubles in 72 holes.  I'd expect a lot more bad for crash and burning.....

10 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Anyone else find that this tour U stuff is really undermining the claims that the KF tour is the way for success like the tour likes to parrot? 

Not at all. Currently 1 or 2 players per season will get full PGA Tour cards. And it's limited to players in college. If the PGA Tour U was giving out 30 tour cards per year like the KFT now does you might have a good argument about the KFT being undermined. But since they don't you do not have a valid argument about the PGA Tour U undermining the KFT. Read up on it here.

https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/how-it-works/pga-tour-university-ranking-criteria-points-eligibility-benefits-status

• Like 1

4 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Anyone else find that this tour U stuff is really undermining the claims that the KF tour is the way for success like the tour likes to parrot? 

No, PGA Tour U was initially set up to grant access to the KF/Canada/LA Tours. It's only recently been modified (along with Q school) to allow direct access to the PGA Tour. Most likely as a response to the threat of LIV trying to get some of these top young dudes.

25 minutes ago, jdl said:

No, PGA Tour U was initially set up to grant access to the KF/Canada/LA Tours. It's only recently been modified (along with Q school) to allow direct access to the PGA Tour. Most likely as a response to the threat of LIV trying to get some of these top young dudes.

Hopefully not just a response to LIV. Some of these dudes don't need the intermediate step. Ludvig is ready to compete right now. Why should he waste time in the minors when he's ready for the show?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Hopefully not just a response to LIV. Some of these dudes don't need the intermediate step. Ludvig is ready to compete right now. Why should he waste time in the minors when he's ready for the show?

PGA Tour U was 100% set up in response to LIV since they have been taking or trying to take good young college players. Turk Pettit won the individual ncaa title and LIV offered him 2 million, he took it. He’s been dropped by them because he’s played terrible but then you look at the kid from OK St who won the first LIV he entered 

Without being fast tracked to the PGA Tour Aberg would be playing LIV. 

20 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

Tour U was setup prior to covid before LIV. it was changed in response to LIV this year also the pga added a rule to punish any amateur/collegian who plays even a single LIV event as a karat and stick approach.

I meant with regards to the #1 on PGA Tour U getting a tour card right after NCAAs are over. They changed that this year 100% because of Aberg and the tour not wanting him to get tempted to join LIV. 

11 minutes ago, Creedo77 said:

I meant with regards to the #1 on PGA Tour U getting a tour card right after NCAAs are over. They changed that this year 100% because of Aberg and the tour not wanting him to get tempted to join LIV. 

Regardless of the why, that feature should have been baked in from the jump. Phil was ready. Tiger was ready. Spieth was ready. JT was ready. Rahm was ready. Aberg is obviously ready. Most will need some additional seasoning. Whether that is KFT or going overseas like Brooks did. But for the select few, it's a waste of time.