2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rules Q .. unmarked GUR

So, in an event, GUR is rampant coursewide, massive dead patches

none of it is marked

relief allowed on rules sheet for closely mown areas only, player is unaware and thinks it is thru the green

player marks ball, gets a rules official for relief, first official says np penalty, replace ball where marked

three holes later head official tells player, add 1 stroke 

does 16.4 not offer relief …. ?  This was not the rule applied by the first official… as told the following day.  Is there an equity rule or ????

a real PITA as GUR should’ve been white marked in the rough 

thanks for any insight

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

IMO, the final ruling is correct, it is correction of an error by the first official.  The one stroke penalty is through Rule 9.4, ball lifted or moved by player.

The player was responsible for knowing that the Rules sheet said only in closely-mown areas.

BTW, it is rare that I would mark such GUR outside the closely-mown area, and would not mark "dead grass" as GUR.

Edited by rogolf
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Colin L said:

it isn't necessary to make patches of dead grass  GUR. 

Were that the case then, on the 9 hole muni in the 1960's where I learned to play golf (no irrigation on the fairways), they could have simply marked a great big circle around the entire golf course some dry years 😁

dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, rogolf said:

IMO, the final ruling is correct, it is correction of an error by the first official.  The one stroke penalty is through Rule 9.4, ball lifted or moved by player.

The player was responsible for knowing that the Rules sheet said only in closely-mown areas.

BTW, it is a rare that I would mark such GUR outside the closely-mown area, and would not mark "dead grass" as GUR.

I thought that if the player got a ruling from an official and followed it, he was good to go.

Not so ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

40 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

I thought that if the player got a ruling from an official and followed it, he was good to go.

Not so ?

See R20.2d

https://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-clarifications/rules-and-clarifications.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=20&subrulenum=2

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

16.4 says if player believes he gets relief from abnormal ground conditions he is ok if marking and then corrects … so a little confused 

this wasn’t just dead grass it was dirt / mud essentially 

EvnRoll ER9

It is amazing to me that a player can’t appeal a ruling to the committee ,,, was not aware of that

EvnRoll ER9

How is it GUR if it is not marked as such? All GUR does not have to be marked?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

8 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

It is amazing to me that a player can’t appeal a ruling to the committee ,,, was not aware of that

In my experience, an good referee will not refuse a player's request for a second opinion. 

The first referee will usually get on the radio and ask the official in charge to send another referee to the "scene of the crime." The first will not brief the second any more than pointing out the player who needs help. He'll back off and let the process work.

• Like 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

4 hours ago, sui generis said:

Ouch !!!

Well, I guess in this case, since the player should've known about the "rules sheet", it IS his fault after all.

I mean, if the player had remembered the rule in the first place, a) he wouldn't have asked/marked and b) even if the ref had allowed him the drop, he'd have likely questioned the ref ("Are you sure ? What about the local rule in force today ?") the ref likely would've corrected himself.

Titleist Pro V1X

4 hours ago, sui generis said:

So how does this apply in this scenario does it NOT apply since the player marked before asking for a ref's opinion?

If a player takes an action in breach of a Rule based on a reasonable misunderstanding of a referee’s or Committee’s instruction during a round or while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a (such as lifting a ball in play  when not allowed under the Rules), there is no penalty and the instruction is treated like a wrong ruling. 

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

3 minutes ago, tatertot said:

So how does this apply in this scenario does it NOT apply since the player marked before asking for a ref's opinion?

If a player takes an action in breach of a Rule based on a reasonable misunderstanding of a referee’s or Committee’s instruction during a round or while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a (such as lifting a ball in play  when not allowed under the Rules), there is no penalty and the instruction is treated like a wrong ruling. 

It was a R9.4.

https://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-clarifications/rules-and-clarifications.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=9&subrulenum=4

R14.5 doesn't apply.

https://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-clarifications/rules-and-clarifications.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=14&subrulenum=5

R20.2d explains the Committee's action.

https://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-clarifications/rules-and-clarifications.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=20&subrulenum=2

• Like 1

To me it is asinine that you can mark and replace to identify your ball, but if marked in this situation it’s a penalty 

no consistency 

EvnRoll ER9

@sui generis … 16.4 ?

EvnRoll ER9

6 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

@sui generis … 16.4 ?

In this case, it's unlikely the player could sucessfully argue that they needed to lift the ball to see if it was in ground under repair. 

There are times when the ball needs to be lifted such as to check whether it is embedded or some conditions of temporary water and a few others.

The reason for the Committee's call, in case it is not clear, is that they do not consider that Rule 16.4 can apply here. "If a player reasonably believes that their ball lies in a condition....the player may lift the ball..."

They have decided that spelling out in a local rule sheet that there are extensive GUR areas on the course but relief is only permitted on the closely mown fairway is very clear guidance - so there are no grounds for reasonably believing it applies off the fairway.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cardoustie said:

@sui generis … 16.4 ?

You said it was marked (and presumably lifted). But you didn't say why.

16.4 allows lifting and/or free relief for certain conditions, one of which is to see if he's in GUR but you don't mention any reason the player said he wanted to lift it. Nor do you mention whether he explained to the ref why he lifted the ball.

Did he think it might be embedded ? That would've been OK, but again, not mentioned.

If at all possible, it's appropriate, when lifting or otherwise following a rule (as opposed to playing it as it lies of course) to tell another player, or a referee, what you intend to do before you do it - just for safety's sake. And a discussion/difference of opinion might help the situation as well.

Since the area wasn't marked as GUR AND the rule applying to UNmarked GUR only applied in the fairway, the player was not entitled to lift (for GUR).

So he lifted a ball in play. 1 stroke. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

Titleist Pro V1X

Once, years ago, I was right of the fairway and just right of the cart path but just in an area of normal rough or whatever. Nowhere near any OB or penalty area.  But, there was some kind of agronomy experiment or procedure in progress.  An grid of 4x6" (roughly) sections of turf and ground had been removed. It was a large grid, 8x8 at least. Each removed area was about the size of a standard brick.  My ball rolled in to one of these "holes" and was unplayable.  It was a very long par 4 and an area where you'd want to miss if you were not making the green in 2.

My competitors looked at it and all said "take a free drop" and that was the end of it.   It wasn't marked but seemed clearly "abnormal" but did not fit the definitions. I was a tournament novice at that point so I just went along with their judgement.

10 minutes ago, bcjim said:

Once, years ago, I was right of the fairway and just right of the cart path but just in an area of normal rough or whatever. Nowhere near any OB or penalty area.  But, there was some kind of agronomy experiment or procedure in progress.  An grid of 4x6" (roughly) sections of turf and ground had been removed. It was a large grid, 8x8 at least. Each removed area was about the size of a standard brick.  My ball rolled in to one of these "holes" and was unplayable.  It was a very long par 4 and an area where you'd want to miss if you were not making the green in 2.

My competitors looked at it and all said "take a free drop" and that was the end of it.   It wasn't marked but seemed clearly "abnormal" but did not fit the definitions. I was a tournament novice at that point so I just went along with their judgement.

That sounds like a good case for "hole made by the maintenance staff ... in maintaining the course" (ie meets the GUR definition) and merits clarifying. It was probably reasonable to consider GUR but not definitive - player could proceed with two balls, take a picture and take it to the Committee.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, antip said:

The reason for the Committee's call, in case it is not clear, is that they do not consider that Rule 16.4 can apply here. "If a player reasonably believes that their ball lies in a condition....the player may lift the ball..."

They have decided that spelling out in a local rule sheet that there are extensive GUR areas on the course but relief is only permitted on the closely mown fairway is very clear guidance - so there are no grounds for reasonably believing it applies off the fairway.

I would say the player believed he could argue abnormal ground conditions and not GUR 

it was a weird scenario as 99/100 in your group nobody reasonable  is asking you to play off that area

there’s too many gray areas in the rules and often your fate depends on the official 

EvnRoll ER9

13 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

I would say the player believed he could argue abnormal ground conditions and not GUR 

it was a weird scenario as 99/100 in your group nobody reasonable  is asking you to play off that area

there’s too many gray areas in the rules and often your fate depends on the official 

Seems to me "Abnormal Course Conditions" appears to be a "title" if you will, not a condition itself.

So GUR, embedded ball, obstructions, dangerous animals, etc. are definitions of the group of ACCs, not a condition itself.

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

20 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Which of these in the Definition would he be arguing for?

Abnormal Course Condition

Any of these four defined conditions:

Animal Hole,

Ground Under Repair,

Immovable Obstruction, or

Temporary Water.

https://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-clarifications/rules-and-clarifications.html#!ruletype=fr&section=definitions&subrulenum=1

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

You're grasping at straws. 😉 Referees do not operate in a vacuum.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cardoustie said:

This doesn't seem like a gray area at all.  The Player didn't pay enough attention to the Rules Sheet, lifted a ball for which no relief was available (made clear under that Rules Sheet), the Referee appropriately denied relief, and the Committee made sure the appropriate penalty was applied.  All of the potential "get out of jail free" possibilities are negated because he didn't read the Rules Sheet.

3 minutes ago, davep043 said:

This doesn't seem like a gray area at all.  The Player didn't pay enough attention to the Rules Sheet, lifted a ball for which no relief was available (made clear under that Rules Sheet), the Referee appropriately denied relief, and the Committee made sure the appropriate penalty was applied.  All of the potential "get out of jail free" possibilities are negated because he didn't read the Rules Sheet.

Some time ago rogolf made us laugh when he referred to the local rules sheet (now officially the Terms of the Competition) as the DNR, meaning Did Not Read. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, davep043 said:

Assume that a golf course is hosting a formal competition and it has a 'temporary looking' building that is treated as an integral part of the course. This would not be obvious to someone not familar with the course. In the DNR (thank you, @rogolf ) it is noted as an integral part of the course and no relief. 

A golfer hits into this area (he did not read the DNR) and asks an official for line of sight relief and it is granted (the RO also did not read the DNR 😁). After the card is signed and submitted, the Committee becomes aware of this. So the following happens, I guess. 

1) The golfer gets a 2 stroke penalty (playing from a wrong place)

2) He gets a 'pass' for not correcting the error (where he probably took relief not available if there is no TIO). 

3) The fact that had he known that no relief was available, he probably would have just played it as it lies, but that ship has sailed. 

Is that correct? 

dave

7 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

Assume that a golf course is hosting a formal competition and it has a 'temporary looking' building that is treated as an integral part of the course. This would not be obvious to someone not familar with the course. In the DNR (thank you, @rogolf ) it is noted as an integral part of the course and no relief. 

A golfer hits into this area (he did not read the DNR) and asks an official for line of sight relief and it is granted (the RO also did not read the DNR 😁). After the card is signed and submitted, the Committee becomes aware of this. So the following happens, I guess. 

1) The golfer gets a 2 stroke penalty (playing from a wrong place)

2) He gets a 'pass' for not correcting the error (where he probably took relief not available if there is no TIO). 

3) The fact that had he known that no relief was available, he probably would have just played it as it lies, but that ship has sailed. 

Is that correct? 

dave

As I read this, the Player didn't lift his ball until after consulting with the Referee.  In this case, because he acted in accordance with the Referee's (incorrect) instructions, and it is too late to correct the mistake (he can't go back and play from the correct spot), the "incorrect" Ruling stands, per 20.2d.  That incorrect ruling allowed free relief, so there is no Penalty applied.

Edited by davep043
  • Like 1

Players don’t read rules sheets … given fact

EvnRoll ER9

2 hours ago, davep043 said:

As I read this, the Player didn't lift his ball until after consulting with the Referee.  In this case, because he acted in accordance with the Referee's (incorrect) instructions, and it is too late to correct the mistake (he can't go back and play from the correct spot), the "incorrect" Ruling stands, per 20.2d.  That incorrect ruling allowed free relief, so there is no Penalty applied.

Thanks - that sounds right and is similar to that 'ruling' that Tiger got at the Master's a few years back after taking an unplayable lie after a bad break bounce off the pin into a pond. 

I was just trying to (incorrectly) generalize your statement of "All of the potential "get out of jail free" possibilities are negated because he didn't read the Rules Sheet."

dave