PXG 0317 T - Impressions and Discussion

Soccerrick10

Exactly.  Not at all saying T150’s or any other club for that matter are bad.  I too have both PXG 0317’s and T150’s.   Still doing my own analysis.   In today’s media age I question everything going on behind the scenes when it comes to who is recommending what these days to the consumer.  Maybe what Tiger said is accurate, “Don’t watch YouTube….”

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, TOgolf said:

I hit the new T heads today and they remind me of my Gen 3’s in terms of feel.  They look and feel great, numbers are excellent with slightly less of a powerful feel than the newer Gen products.   

That's what I've been saying as well. They've updated Gen3 T in the 0317 T, which isn't a bad thing IMO. 

2 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

Exactly.  Not at all saying T150’s or any other club for that matter are bad.  I too have both PXG 0317’s and T150’s.   Still doing my own analysis.   In today’s media age I question everything going on behind the scenes when it comes to who is recommending what these days to the consumer.  Maybe what Tiger said is accurate, “Don’t watch YouTube….”

First post/reply here but I literally made this account just for this. I picked up a 0317t 7i and absolutely love it. Ive messed around with the t150 and its ok? Big question for you is how does the PWedge look for the 0317. Ian mentioned he didnt care for it and i am also picky with wedge looks. Im debating either grabbing another vokey or just getting the set PW. Any info would be awesome!

1 hour ago, MDUSAFGolfer said:

First post/reply here but I literally made this account just for this. I picked up a 0317t 7i and absolutely love it. Ive messed around with the t150 and its ok? Big question for you is how does the PWedge look for the 0317. Ian mentioned he didnt care for it and i am also picky with wedge looks. Im debating either grabbing another vokey or just getting the set PW. Any info would be awesome!

I have no issues with the looks of mine. I would have more issues in terms of looks if I had a one off wedge for another manufacturer that didn’t blend with the set. May not bother some, but would look like the ugly duckling to me.

8 hours ago, MDUSAFGolfer said:

What info are you wanting?  Are you asking for our OPINION on LOOKS?  

I can tell you last week playing in the rain, I was ready to sell every club I own and take up bowling.  Today, I played a beautiful wedge shot in on a par 5 using the 0317 T Pw for an eagle.  That club looked like the most beautiful club I own.  

Seriously, I’d love to help but what features do you like or don’t like?  I have 0317 CB, 0317 T, Gen 5 T and Gen 6 P sitting here if you want any of them compared or photos taken.  Earlier in this thread I provided dimensional measurements, if that would be beneficial.

Also, if you ever plan on trading in a set, I’m finding more and more sites won’t take them without a Pw from the set.

Edited by Soccerrick10
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Soccerrick10 said:

I can tell you last week playing in the rain, I was ready to sell every club I own and take up bowling.  Today, I played a beautiful wedge shot in on a par 5 using the 0317 T Pw for an eagle.  That club looked like the most beautiful club I own.  

Seriously, I’d love to help but what features do you like or don’t like?  I have 0317 CB, 0317 T, Gen 5 T and Gen 6 P sitting here if you want any of them compared or photos taken.  Earlier in this thread I provided dimensional measurements, if that would be beneficial.

Also, if you ever plan on trading in a set, I’m finding more and more sites won’t take them without a Pw from the set.

Good morning! Sorry to get

back to you so late. Honestly just opinion on looks. I went from the 0211st to the sub70 TC and they both had nice smaller profile heads like vokeys. Just curious of the general head shape/size in relation!

Any pictures would be appreciated too. Just trying to figure some stuff out before my fitting next weekend!

Edited by MDUSAFGolfer
Can't spell for s***

Did a fitting with the T's today. Absolutely fantastic iron but lost out to JPX 923 Forged. Was able to get same ballspeed, peak height and spin but about 8-9 yards more carry with the extra help of the Mizuno. Just couldn't pass up that window it put 7i in to. 

Amazing irons and maybe if I had a bit more speed these would have gotten to where I wanted them.

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Fairway Wood - Ping G425 15.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

4 hours ago, Soccerrick10 said:

It’s great you have the 0211 ST as a reference point. I think they are the most underrated clubs and one of my all time favorites. I have 2 sets of them and don’t plan on selling either. 

I am playing the 0317 CB and 0317 T models this fall to see how they measure up against each other and against the 0211ST’s. 

Since you know the ST, looking at the CB and T you will recognize them as common siblings. They are very similar in look and size with subtle differences between them. I find the results from them are very close. I have all 3 sets set to the same lie, lengths and lofts. 

The CB is ever so slightly longer than the ST and the T ever so slightly longer than the CB. The amazing thing to me is how the T being a hollow filled club gives height, launch and spin almost the same as the other two. 

Feel of them is different. The ST has a powerful but soft feel to them. I’ve stated before they feel like the Mizuno MP-18 muscle back. The CB has a very similar feel to the ST but is a little easier on the hands with mid-hits.  The T on the other hand is the best feeling modern era iron I have played. It has a similar soft feel like the Gen 3 irons. But, they have added a powerful feel like the ST and CB. Think Gen 3 with a punch but not a rocket launch like the Gen 6’s. 

Of the 3, my gut says the ST provides the best level of dispersion. Having said that, yesterday I was able to play and brought the three 8 and 9 irons to the course. On the last hole I had time to drop 12 balls at a distance I know for each club. I hit 2 balls from each 8 iron and 2 balls from each 9 irons. In looking at the 8 iron and then 9 iron, you couldn’t tell which ball was hit with each 8 or 9 iron. 

When I looked at the individual data, the dispersion was best on the ST, then T and then CB. Honestly, it was so close, if I hadn’t marked the balls, you wouldn’t be able to tell which was hot with which club. That’s how closely matched they were. 

The one area where I see the biggest difference is in turf interaction. The ST divot is like the ground was kissed by the sole. Very slight disruption of the grass. The CB divot was a little bigger. But the broader sole really helps distribute the load. The T on the other hand was a much deeper divot. 

For total transparency, up until Thursday, I was playing the T 2* strong. With that, I was taking beaver pelt divots. Thursday, I went to PXG and had them weaken the lofts for 2* strong, to only 1*. I’ll list the lofts which are the same for all three clubs below. 

Regardless, it should be noted that really helped the turf interaction. They were still bigger than what I usually have but very acceptable. In longer rough, the T sliced through with ease. 

Finally, based on the performance, I could easily use any of the three. 

That brings us to looks. Again, it’s easy to see the family resemblance. Overall the ST is the sleekest of the three in top line, length and sole. The CB is kinda like the beefy neighbor. It’s a little squatter, has a wider sole, and looks shorter from hosel to tip. In actuality, measurement wise, they are very close. 

I really like the looks of the T. It looks crisp. It doesn’t have the face milling like the CB. I think the design is the cleanest. I am really impressed with the looks considering its parents were the Gen 5’s. 

I’ll include photos of the 8 irons below and let you form your own opinions. Let me know if you have any questions. 

L to R: ST, CB, T

IMG_1820.jpeg

IMG_1819.jpeg

L to R: T, CB, ST

IMG_1818.jpeg

Top to Bottom: ST, CB, T

IMG_1816.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

Good god man! thank you for that awesome write up seriously. The T looks so damn good compared to the CB, as you said its just a bit squattier. 

Regarding the 0211st.. Yeah my biggest regret was selling them to a good buddy of mine to purchase the SUB70. Seriously such a downgrade it hurt.. so I am  really excited to hop back into the PXG. I bought the 7I in the T to get some range time in and it truly just feels amazing!

You have me overly excited to get these on order!

2 hours ago, KhiloD said:

Did a fitting with the T's today. Absolutely fantastic iron but lost out to JPX 923 Forged. Was able to get same ballspeed, peak height and spin but about 8-9 yards more carry with the extra help of the Mizuno. Just couldn't pass up that window it put 7i in to. 

Amazing irons and maybe if I had a bit more speed these would have gotten to where I wanted them.

I would test the JPX 923 Forged against the Gen 6 P for apples to apples. The 923F is lofted a half-club stronger than the T. Different clubs in a lot of ways. I’d slot the P as more similar in profile and size. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

8 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I would test the JPX 923 Forged against the Gen 6 P for apples to apples. The 923F is lofted a half-club stronger than the T. Different clubs in a lot of ways. I’d slot the P as more similar in profile and size. 

That’s a really good point.  Most people miss that loft difference while chasing distance.  At my age, I’ve given up on being the longest hitter on the course.  I’m after clubs that will give me the most consistent results. Tight dispersion is now my game.

When PXG introduced the T as being designed for tighter dispersion, I just had to give them a go.  The Gen 5 T was really good in that area.  These 0317 T are easily the most consistent hollow body club I’ve used combined with the best feel.

I think the industry is changing as they address the weaknesses in player distance irons.  Some people want that longest club distance.  You are seeing clubs coming that address the lower trajectory we see with stronger lofted clubs.  Others are addressing the “hot spots” some player distance irons have.  This is all good stuff and it’s all about finding the right balance for your game.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

I get the difference. As I stated. I got all the benefits of the more player profile in terms of spin/peak height and got my Carry. It was a no brainer. 

They were amazing though. Just didn't make sense to go to them for me. 

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Fairway Wood - Ping G425 15.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

On 10/21/2023 at 9:35 AM, Soccerrick10 said:

Hi, Is there any chance I could get a comparison between the Gen 6 0311P and the 0317T.  I have the Gen 4 0311T and love them and was thinking about going getting the gen 6 or 0317t and was keen to see how much there is in size difference. I am hoping the gen 6 0311p are smaller than previous versions and the the 0317T is the same size as gen 5t or maybe a hair smaller. 

Thanks, 

JB 

8 hours ago, JB lefty said:

Hi, Is there any chance I could get a comparison between the Gen 6 0311P and the 0317T.  I have the Gen 4 0311T and love them and was thinking about going getting the gen 6 or 0317t and was keen to see how much there is in size difference. I am hoping the gen 6 0311p are smaller than previous versions and the the 0317T is the same size as gen 5t or maybe a hair smaller. 

Thanks, 

JB 

Sure, give me until tomorrow.  I’m on Starter duty this morning.  Then I’m playing 18 holes.

i can tell you dimensionally, they’ll be close.  But visually, they look huge.  It’s all relative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soccerrick10 said:

I’ve updated the 9 iron dimensional data with the Gen 6 iron.  I’ve also added photos showing the 0317 T and the Gen 6 P for comparison:

IMG_2685.jpeg

Face View Top to Bottom - 0317 T / Gen 6 P

IMG_1913.jpeg.6fb6766f483e2d9f75b0746648706533.jpeg

Rear View Top to Bottom - 0317 T / Gen 6 

IMG_1911.jpeg

Top line View Top to Bottom - 0317 T / Gen 6 P

IMG_1910.jpeg

Sole View Top to Bottom - 0317 T / Gen 6 P

IMG_1909.jpeg

If you are looking for more distance and accept a little larger club, the Gen 6 P could be a good choice.  I tried them and didn’t like them because I was wanting consistency that wasn’t there compared to my Gen 5 T irons.  

Also, I only played them a few rounds and loaned them to a couple friends to try.  Look at how the soles have worn with not much use.  I don’t know if the steel being used is softer, but it seems out of character compared to other PXG irons.  Additionally, that groove on the sole drives me nuts.  I’m constantly digging the grass out of it.  With the Gen 5 T irons, the sole is chamfered so that collection of grass doesn’t happen.

Let me know if you have any questions.

You are the man! Great stuff. Thank you for the time in doing this for all of us. 

• Like 1

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

55 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

You are the man! Great stuff. Thank you for the time in doing this for all of us. 

It’s really my pleasure.  It’s not often I have 4 different sets of the latest irons from PXG.  But, I figure I need to share the information as best I can.

Edited by Soccerrick10
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Soccerrick10 said:

I’ve updated the 9 iron dimensional data with the Gen 6 iron.  I’ve also added photos showing the 0317 T and the Gen 6 P for comparison:

IMG_2685.jpeg

Face View Top to Bottom - 0317 T / Gen 6 P

IMG_1913.jpeg.6fb6766f483e2d9f75b0746648706533.jpeg

Rear View Top to Bottom - 0317 T / Gen 6 

IMG_1911.jpeg

Top line View Top to Bottom - 0317 T / Gen 6 P

IMG_1910.jpeg

Sole View Top to Bottom - 0317 T / Gen 6 P

IMG_1909.jpeg

If you are looking for more distance and accept a little larger club, the Gen 6 P could be a good choice.  I tried them and didn’t like them because I was wanting consistency that wasn’t there compared to my Gen 5 T irons.  

Also, I only played them a few rounds and loaned them to a couple friends to try.  Look at how the soles have worn with not much use.  I don’t know if the steel being used is softer, but it seems out of character compared to other PXG irons.  Additionally, that groove on the sole drives me nuts.  I’m constantly digging the grass out of it.  With the Gen 5 T irons, the sole is chamfered so that collection of grass doesn’t happen.

Let me know if you have any questions.

PERFECT! Thank you so much for doing that. It makes decision making so much easier especially when you cannot just go to a store and compare them. I am a little shocked as to the Gen 6 0311p irons marking up so much. My Gen 4 0311t have held up pretty good. But i suppose quality soft forges will mark easy.  Consider these are item we smash into the ground with it is quite good how most irons stand up the beating and not show real heavy wear. 

I think i am going to go down the 0317T line. The dirt collector and that bit of size difference is just enough to sway me. I am a reasonable good ball striker and the T's haven't been an issue at all for me, however I entertained the idea as sometimes I think a little bit more help is always appreciated because we don't always flush it. Thanks again, much appreciate the effort and time you have taken to post the photo's. 

• Like 1

image.jpeg.ccb043d5743240d17aa3cb8e3c922b35.jpeg

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

8 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

So I posted that I went through a 90 minute iron fitting at PXG Virginia with Master Fitter Tim Goodiehl and wanted to share my story for others who are thinking about it. Had a few messages from buddies curious about the outcome. It is quite a process if you do it. I will tell it just like it happened. Sorry for the lengthy post. 

Started by hitting some shots with my Wilson Staff Model CB 7 iron to get a baseline. Very nice irons. These had Modus 120 stiff shafts, a set I was not fit for but is a shaft I have been fit for in the past. Swing weight D4. Loft 1 degree strong. 

I had mentioned to the fitter I have been thinking about going lighter than 114g so we started with the Nippon 950 in the Gen 6 P head. I was all over the place. About 5 swings and he said, “Hand me the club. Too light.” Head was fine but looked kind of big and in looking at my club speed (81 mph, 7 iron) I noticed it was lower than I expected. “Getting old,” I said to myself. While that is true, it was not the reason for the speed drop, as it turned out. 

Kind of bummed. Fitter says to me, “Trust me, we’ll go through this and at some point, it will click. It will happen.”

Switched to a Dynamic Gold 105 with an 0317T head. Immediately loved the head, felt great, but still not great on accuracy. Shots moving left, coming a bit over the top. The strikes were pretty good but path was not. Certainly not flag hunting. 

I then did hit a handful of shots with the 0317CB and it’s quite nice. Just a preference that I loved the look from address and the feel of the 0317T. Fitter said it fits me well if I like it. “You don’t need a larger head. Your issues are about path.”

Next up: Modus 105 stiff. For whatever reason I was better with this one than the DG105 and I liked it more. Numbers were pretty good and I was thinking maybe this is a fit, but the fitter said there’s still too much variance in shot height and path and he took the club back again. Next: Tour Elevate got me into the 115-117g range. Hit it solid except the shots were going too high and spinning too much. But club speed went UP a few mph. 

Fitter then suggests we try the C Taper. “Standard C Taper or C Taper Lite?” I said. 

He hands me the C Taper 120. “Always fear this thing is super stiff,” I said. I was somewhat hesitant but here I am, why not try it? Swing weight D4, standard lie. First outcome noticed: Club head speed went up to 86 mph — 5 miles an hour faster than the Nippon 950. I asked why do I swing the heavier one faster? “You don’t,” he said. “That is your speed. With lighter ones your sequence is off and you are slowing down coming into impact, not accelerating like we want.”

Now I am a fan of Project X Rifle. So C Taper felt great, maybe a tad heavy, and I was still seeing it go left here and there. Fitter asked about lie angles. I told him I had always played standard, then 1 or 2 degrees upright when I was dealing with a balky back about 5 years ago, but I am  over it. He is studying the data, takes the club and lowers the swing weight 4 points and switches to a head 2 degrees flat from standard, about 3 degrees flatter than I often play. He does not tell me the specs. “Try this,” is all he said. 

Started nailing it down the middle. So much so I did not believe it, thought I had simply found a groove. Switched back to the Modus 105 for a gut check and saw inconsistency return immediately. Shots and spin are too high. “You like more real weight but you don’t like higher swing weight,” Tim says. 

Back to the C Taper for round two. We are now at standard length and loft, 2 degrees flat lie and a shaft heavier and stiffer than I am playing.

“Spend some time with it,” he says. 

It was impressive. Decided to hit 20 shots and toss out any obvious clunkers to see the big picture. But I only had to delete 1 shot. And here is where I saw the consistency of the 0317T show up. Shot after shot looked the same. 

Trackman on those 20 shots:

Club speed: 86.4 mph average, variance 1 mph. 

Ball speed: 116.5 mph avg., variance 1.0 mph. 
Carry: 167.9 avg, variance 3.2 yards. 
Total: 172, variance 4.0 yards. 
Spin: 5690 avg., variance 364

Smash factor: 1.39 avg., variance 0.02.

Shot height: 94 feet average, variance 3 feet. 

Attack angle: Minus 2.5, variance 0.8

Launch angle: 17.9 degrees avg., variance 0.9

Landing angle: 48.5 degrees, variance 1.2. 

Tim says, “I think those are in the bag! The C Taper does not fit everyone but for those it fits it is a dispersion killer.”

Best of all, if I need tweaks, PXG does that for free. Worst case scenario: This fit is all wrong and the shaft is too much for me. I’ve got 30 days to return. 

Definitely the most precise fitting I have ever had. They really do not leave any stone unturned. Thought about it overnight, ordered the next day and 5-P 0317T with C Taper stiff at D-0 and 2 degrees flat will be delivered tomorrow.

That is great! I was surprised to learn that the path issue could be shaft related.

I saw the $25 fitting on the website and there was one not too far so I went. I don’t hate my T100 irons but I also don’t love the 5 iron or my T200 4 iron. I was hoping to hit something that could fill in that gap but they only had 7 iron heads. So it wasn’t really a fitting but more like a testing. I hit the 0317 T and 0317 CB. The CB was okay and I really liked the T. It’s just a bit larger than my T100 and much more forgiving. I’d like to see the rest of the set. My mind is wondering now. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM10 54° D, 60° D, Mitsubishi MMT 80s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra