Iron shafts for a slow Joe, A or Sr flex only.

So I’ve read all the threads on graphite iron shafts, a lot about those WRX’ers using x shafts etc.  my driver is 80 -85 and my 7 iron 65ish.

Cant use steel, arthritis, etc, etc.   I’m an 8 index.  

I’ve tried the following in my Ping I20’s.  

Original TFC 169, reg, soft stepped 1x, used these since 2012, but in the last 2 years as swing speed declined too much shaft.

Kuro Kage 2nd Gen, between reg and A, feel OK, but dispersion is inconsistent.

Recoil 760, reg and A,  didn’t like the feel, actually lack of feel.  

Ping Alta CB Reg pullouts from G425, too light. Dispersion an issue.  

Surprisingly I’ve got another set of Ping Alta CB pullouts, soft stepped 1x in a set of Ping Eye 2+ and I hit them pretty well, but quite high.  But  I just find too much shock in my hands, arms and shoulder, thinking that’s the hard SS heads…

So, what are some other options? MMT’s, KBS PGi or Max, or something else? Mid to mid-high flight would be what I’m looking for.  

Interested to hear recommendations and success stories from some slow swingers.

Thanks! 

My swing speed is the same as yours, and I am using Nippon 950 GH NEO shafts in Regular.  I tried graphite because of elbow and shoulder problems, and I couldn't find one that worked.  The 950 NEO's seem to work just fine - nice high ball flight and limited elbow problems.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I am over 70 and cope with osteoarthritis in my hands and knees, my iron SS is 80-85mph.  As a result, went from 120g PX 6.0 steel to Composite.  It's been a five-year journey since, trying to find the right flex and weight for my aging bones.  Think I am there with MMT 85S & 95S, now 105S.  LOL Not sure if they are the correct fit, or I am just tired of the journey. 🙂  Time will tell.

As part of that journey, I tested A, R & S flex.  What I learned for me was flex wasn't as important as the shaft weight.  I even tried my wife's irons, with 65g Kuro Kage senior shafts.  Check out MMT 55 A taper, and KBS TGI shafts, 50g A, parallel; KBS doesn't offer flex designations, just weight.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

27 minutes ago, gvogel said:

My swing speed is the same as yours, and I am using Nippon 950 GH NEO shafts in Regular.  I tried graphite because of elbow and shoulder problems, and I couldn't find one that worked.  The 950 NEO's seem to work just fine - nice high ball flight and limited elbow problems.

Thanks for that, but steel shafts are a no go for me. Gave them up 20 years ago, because I couldn’t play with them.   Hit one shot earlier this year with a steel shafted nine iron, instant pain, and sore for a couple days.  

If you can afford it Club Champion may have the widest selection of shafts to try.  I think they make their money off Seniors as that is when people have money to spend.
You may save some money by only buying the irons you need.  No sense buying an expensive 5 iron if you need hybrids to get off the ground.

Just got my new set of Titleist T100 irons shafted with Fujikura Axiom R2 flex this week and love them.  My numbers are close to yours.  Great feel, nice high flight, and outstanding dispersion to which i credit the Velocore technology. I've used a lot of different graphite shafts over the years and these are hands down the best for dispersion. Highly recommend.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ShortGolfer said:

If you can afford it Club Champion may have the widest selection of shafts to try.  I think they make their money off Seniors as that is when people have money to spend.
You may save some money by only buying the irons you need.  No sense buying an expensive 5 iron if you need hybrids to get off the ground.

I’ll give them a try.  And yes, my longest iron is #8.  
thx.  

• 2 months later...
On 10/13/2023 at 7:39 PM, smoky25 said:

Just got my new set of Titleist T100 irons shafted with Fujikura Axiom R2 flex this week and love them.  My numbers are close to yours.  Great feel, nice high flight, and outstanding dispersion to which i credit the Velocore technology. I've used a lot of different graphite shafts over the years and these are hands down the best for dispersion. Highly recommend.

The Axioms are 0.370 parallel tip shafts, whereas the T100 irons have 0.355 taper tip hosels. Did you ream the hosels or taper the shafts for installation?

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

6 hcp who drives and chips well, but very below average iron play from 100-160 yards. Hit 7 iron about 140-145.  Was all hung up on shaft stiffness, swing weights and graphite vs steel, etc. I have Apex dcb with 65 gram recoil darts. Loved the light weight but I also found (after a 25 year absence) that I loved the feel and look of the old Ping zing 2s. Read and watched alot about how new clubs offer XYZ, but the

pings are so straight. So I compared my Apex 9 iron with 60 gram SR shaft, with a graphite 85 gram R shaft 8 iron zing2, and a heavy steel 115 gram JZ shafted zing2 8 iron.  All clubs were 38 degrees and D0 swing weights. With consistent and comfortable swings and 75 shots later,  there was absolutely NO DIFFERENCE. Zero.  Height, dispersion, distance and forgiveness literally the same. The Apex was a tad higher on the best shots ( lightest and most flexible shaft… but you could throw a blanket over my best hits with each… and each club experienced only a few pulls and thin shots ( driver error). What’s the WRX explanation for that? Curious. 

• Sad 1

On 12/18/2023 at 9:34 AM, Streuner said:

playing partners at the club highly recommend the MMT 70regular

THIS !!!!!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

On 12/20/2023 at 9:21 PM, 1oldAC said:

6 hcp who drives and chips well, but very below average iron play from 100-160 yards. Hit 7 iron about 140-145.  Was all hung up on shaft stiffness, swing weights and graphite vs steel, etc. I have Apex dcb with 65 gram recoil darts. Loved the light weight but I also found (after a 25 year absence) that I loved the feel and look of the old Ping zing 2s. Read and watched alot about how new clubs offer XYZ, but the

pings are so straight. So I compared my Apex 9 iron with 60 gram SR shaft, with a graphite 85 gram R shaft 8 iron zing2, and a heavy steel 115 gram JZ shafted zing2 8 iron.  All clubs were 38 degrees and D0 swing weights. With consistent and comfortable swings and 75 shots later,  there was absolutely NO DIFFERENCE. Zero.  Height, dispersion, distance and forgiveness literally the same. The Apex was a tad higher on the best shots ( lightest and most flexible shaft… but you could throw a blanket over my best hits with each… and each club experienced only a few pulls and thin shots ( driver error). What’s the WRX explanation for that? Curious. 

Some people are sensitive to different shafts, and some are not - learned from this site.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2023 at 9:38 PM, st1800e said:

So I’ve read all the threads on graphite iron shafts, a lot about those WRX’ers using x shafts etc.  my driver is 80 -85 and my 7 iron 65ish.

Cant use steel, arthritis, etc, etc.   I’m an 8 index.  

I’ve tried the following in my Ping I20’s.  

Original TFC 169, reg, soft stepped 1x, used these since 2012, but in the last 2 years as swing speed declined too much shaft.

Kuro Kage 2nd Gen, between reg and A, feel OK, but dispersion is inconsistent.

Recoil 760, reg and A,  didn’t like the feel, actually lack of feel.  

Ping Alta CB Reg pullouts from G425, too light. Dispersion an issue.  

Surprisingly I’ve got another set of Ping Alta CB pullouts, soft stepped 1x in a set of Ping Eye 2+ and I hit them pretty well, but quite high.  But  I just find too much shock in my hands, arms and shoulder, thinking that’s the hard SS heads…

So, what are some other options? MMT’s, KBS PGi or Max, or something else? Mid to mid-high flight would be what I’m looking for.  

Interested to hear recommendations and success stories from some slow swingers.

Thanks! 

Inserts in the shafts and maybe a larger grip with less taper, especially if you like the Eye 2+ and hit them pretty well? 

Edited by boggyman

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2023 at 4:59 PM, st1800e said:

Anybody have experience with SteelFiber i70cw In Sr Flex? 

I tried them along with numerous other graphites in the 70-75 gram range. Dispersion was all over the place because I couldn't time a light weight shaft properly. NS Pro 950's are the lightest shaft that worked for MY swing, so not a lot of help there. From a quality/feel standpoint they were excellent. Smooth, high flight, great feel.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 10° @ D1- Tour AD XC6 SR                                                    
Titleist TSI3 4 wood - 16.5° @A1 - Tour AD XC6 S

Srixon ZF85 7 wood - 21° - Tour AD TP6 SR

Srixon ZX 4 Hybrid - 22° - Diamana ZX 50 R

Srixon ZU 85 23° - Aldila NV 85 S

Honma TW747 Vx 5-10 - Vizard IB WF 85 S

Vokey SM8 50°-10 F Grind - Nippon 950 GH Neo S
Vokey SM8 56°-8 M Grind - Nippon 950 GH Neo S

Cleveland Frontline Elite 8.0 - Super Stroke Traxion Tour 1.0 + 50G wt

...and a host of others from time to time.

• 1 month later...

I'm 68 and been adjusting clubs lately. My 44" driver is around 88 to 90MPH, installed a Pro-Launch A-45 in the Ping G-400 driver D-3 swing weight, Ping G-425 5 wood D-3 std. length, and Ping G-410 7W D-3 std. length, used Ping off the shelf weights to get D-3 swing weights. Like how they feel and trajectory. Don't carry or hit a 3 wood very well.

Bought a new set of Wilson Dynapower irons last year from 5I to GW with UST Recoil Dart 65 A flex graphite shafts. These clubs are really strong lofted and low trajectory for me. Where I play we installed new greens that are very firm. Could not get approach shots with mid to longer irons to stick often, even with Titelist ProV1 balls. Decided to increase iron shaft lengths from standard by 1/2" on each club (1/4" on GW) ending up with around D-3 to D-3 1/2 iron swing weights. This increased iron trajectory & distance (5 to 10 yards) I can keep the ball on the greens easier with mid to longer irons now and they still feel OK. When I shortened the driver and lengthened the irons the direction did not change for me with these clubs.

Edited by rideandfly

Bill

Ping G400 Driver G425 5 Wood G410 7 Wood

Wilson Staff Dynapower 5 Iron thru GW

Cleveland CBX2 50 & 56 Wedges & HB SOFT Milled #8 Putter

Weight and tip/butt stiffness is key for me, flex is not consistent, shaft frequency is better. Im a hitter. I tried graphite shafts for years but had little luck. Too light, no timing, too heavy dead feeling.  Im 72 and have similar numbers. Im using the Nippon steel 850 Neo with shaft inserts and +4 on standard size grip. I just switch to AI smoke HL with 2 degrees weaker loft. Like the height and the feel but Im getting elbow issues so I might switch again back to graphite. It will probably be Fujikura becasue they list tip and butt frequency which is great. They have 3 suitable shafts in Axiom, Pro and Vista pro. Aerotech I have never liked for some reason although I havent tried them since they came out with shafts lighter than 95.

I would go to a fitter with the largest selection of shafts, like Club Champion. I would get fitted and see what shafts work. I personally wont have them build them as I build my own. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

I saw the post and can empathize with elbow and wrist issues.  If I hit a steel shafted anything one time I'm in pain for days, I even had to change wedges to graphite a few years ago.

My swing speed is faster than yours but I have a suggestion based on a set of irons I purchased for the heads last year with the intention of reshafting.

They came with Fujikura Pro graphite shafts in R flex (not Vista Pro).  If I swing normally (aggressive) they don't work.  If I ease my tempo into them and swing slower they are fantastic.  They are so good that I haven't reshafted, I'm keeping them for when my swing speed declines to a point that I can't unconsciously over swing them.

The irons are Cobra F7 One length.  At the time I wanted to experiment with OL irons but that's another story.  Maybe you could find a single iron with the shaft to try it?  The shafts are kinda pricey at $45 to buy new.

Here's an example of something similar in senior flex:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/386693575821?itmmeta=01HRE74Z0H5HKSCRAX5TQ69RGZ&hash=item5a08bbb48d:g:bwwAAOSwOKNlr0I2&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8Nh0T%2BpycCpaWoQc7o6zB33H3PYf9YXIFpa9RhbWCtPGItyRHtyEruM%2BWQRMMeqPzHNFz%2FOjv%2F5Xif0ocWwLSZjnQZAe%2Bf8wEKoiXK95%2F1I%2Bykx8TGPuN9aZaMTYzld%2BQHGY9JWYbTq5X%2FVKLh8dKHy--EEs8OP390eRaNfCwC8rZqxdbLdD69bEO1GyJ1Rg1EoLuu%2FGXDIyiFU5spmvqtuVtKlQGluIu9ZCQRinVmJUfsFWUuNfX2fJRThY9XIeNbyz74lwMogG2QeH2%2FlcCctLB9ych6LMTSyqJPx8EBgLrA%2Bd%2B63hzytBX1JX9sSPUw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8Dwk8fDYw

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

71 years old.  I have gone to mostly hybrids - 5, 6 and 7 TSR1 with 75 gram Atoms Tour Spec Red shafts in R.  Problem solved.  My longest iron is a T200 9-iron, 950 NEO shaft. 

I might pick up a 7-wood to fill the gap between the 5-hybrid and 5-wood, or maybe not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2023 at 9:21 PM, 1oldAC said:

The first thing that jumps out to me is why wouldn’t you want to hit the same shot with one less club? Wouldn’t a 6 iron be easier to hit than a 5 (or in the Zing 2’s case probably a 4i)

The Zing 2’s were my first iron set, and I’m playing the DCBs now. I’m sorry, but as much as I lik(d) those Pings, you’re fooling yourself if you say there’s no difference between the two.

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t say there wasn’t a difference for everyone… just me. But the pings are so much more accurate it isn’t even close. If I toed a DCB it was a big hook… it’s barely a draw with the pings. I only use the pings at or inside 155 yards… no reason for extra distance and no need for a gap wedge as I go 47* 52.5* and 57.5*.  The pings have a heavier shaft and the offset makes it so easy for me to trap and compress the ball. They spin more as well to hold greens. Night and day for ME. I laugh (not at you) at those that evaluate an iron by how far they go. So the 5 is really a 6, and the 8 is a 9…  loft for loft they are the same for me. I just hit twice as many greens with the pings. 

Edited by 1oldAC