2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

PXG GEN6 Fairway and Hybrid

Honman

How are people finding these after a few months play? I've not loved my G430 hybrids and like the idea of throwing weight out on the toe. 

And do the fairways compete on ball speed with other current models? 

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

I am playing a PXG Gen 6 0311 XF 3 wood and I am impressed with it so far. I have only had it for about a month (4 rounds) but so far it seems to be pretty good. I like that you can make it 3 degrees flat and put the weight in the toe for a more fade bias setup. It is super forgiving and even at 16* not too high launching. I am admittedly a PING guy but their fairways are too shallow for me and this one has a deeper face so tee shots and fairway shots are no problem, even from the rough I have had good results.

I got mine with the stock Diamana shaft which wasn't too bad but I reshafted it this last week with an Evenflow Riptide MX 7s and it is even better. Time will tell if it is my holy grail of 3 woods, but so far it is doing what I wanted it to do which is to be an easy to hit, forgiving, versatile fairway wood that is not left biased.

PXL_20231014_201820412.jpg

PXL_20231014_201742695.jpg

PXL_20231014_201759050.jpg

Edited by ShortSticks
  • Like 3

Forgot to mention how much I love the rails!

As you can see from my pics it sits a little open at address (prefect to me).

I am coming from a PING stretch 3 wood that was really LOUD! This one sounds much better and is just as long as the PING stretch which was no slouch in the ball speed department.

Edited by ShortSticks

5 hours ago, ShortSticks said:

Forgot to mention how much I love the rails!

As you can see from my pics it sits a little open at address (prefect to me).

I am coming from a PING stretch 3 wood that was really LOUD! This one sounds much better and is just as long as the PING stretch which was no slouch in the ball speed department.

For a more forgiving model it looks great 

Interesting that the shallower face on the Ping G425/430 hybrids just don't seem as problematic to me as their comparable fairways. I have never fared well w/overly shallow fairways, especially recent Ping models, but have few issues hitting the hybrids from the tee or turf. Maybe it's just mental, like so many other things in golf.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2023 at 4:15 PM, Honman said:

How are people finding these after a few months play? I've not loved my G430 hybrids and like the idea of throwing weight out on the toe. 

And do the fairways compete on ball speed with other current models? 

What is it you don't like about the 430 hybrids? 

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

22 hours ago, ShortSticks said:

I am playing a PXG Gen 6 0311 XF 3 wood and I am impressed with it so far. I have only had it for about a month (4 rounds) but so far it seems to be pretty good. I like that you can make it 3 degrees flat and put the weight in the toe for a more fade bias setup. It is super forgiving and even at 16* not too high launching. I am admittedly a PING guy but their fairways are too shallow for me and this one has a deeper face so tee shots and fairway shots are no problem, even from the rough I have had good results.

I got mine with the stock Diamana shaft which wasn't too bad but I reshafted it this last week with an Evenflow Riptide MX 7s and it is even better. Time will tell if it is my holy grail of 3 woods but so far it is doing what I wanted it to do which is be an easy to hit forgiving versatile Fairway Wood that is not left biased.

PXL_20231014_201820412.jpg

PXL_20231014_201742695.jpg

PXL_20231014_201759050.jpg

This is a total departure from the original question -- sorry @Honman -- but @ShortSticks could you weigh in a little more on how the Riptide MX compares to the Diamana? (The S+, right?) 

The reason I ask is, I really like the Callaway Apex UW. It doesn't fit my gapping for my normal bag ... but I have a little half-set I'll use occasionally when I'm just running out for a quick 9, and am trying to make the 19* UW work as my "only headcover other than driver/putter" sort of club for that half-set. I tried it with a Diamana BF, which is profile-wise in the same neighborhood as the Diamana S+ that it sounds like you pulled. I like it, but it's just softer in the handle/upper-mid than I'd like. I'd prefer a profile that's still somewhat mid-soft, but a bit more gradual. If I remember correctly, the previous Evenflow Riptide was about like that. Is the Riptide MX similar? Or, feel-wise, what differences did you notice when moving from the Diamana S+ to the Riptide MX? 

I also love the rails on the PXG ... I have a TSR2 7W in the bag right now, but might just have to try the PXG if they go on sale. I love having a deeper-faced, high-lofted wood that can get through the rough.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

29 minutes ago, eric61 said:

This is a total departure from the original question -- sorry @Honman -- but @ShortSticks could you weigh in a little more on how the Riptide MX compares to the Diamana? (The S+, right?) 

The reason I ask is, I really like the Callaway Apex UW. It doesn't fit my gapping for my normal bag ... but I have a little half-set I'll use occasionally when I'm just running out for a quick 9, and am trying to make the 19* UW work as my "only headcover other than driver/putter" sort of club for that half-set. I tried it with a Diamana BF, which is profile-wise in the same neighborhood as the Diamana S+ that it sounds like you pulled. I like it, but it's just softer in the handle/upper-mid than I'd like. I'd prefer a profile that's still somewhat mid-soft, but a bit more gradual. If I remember correctly, the previous Evenflow Riptide was about like that. Is the Riptide MX similar? Or, feel-wise, what differences did you notice when moving from the Diamana S+ to the Riptide MX? 

I also love the rails on the PXG ... I have a TSR2 7W in the bag right now, but might just have to try the PXG if they go on sale. I love having a deeper-faced, high-lofted wood that can get through the rough.

I will try to help, but remember feel is very subjective.

Yes it is the Diamana S+ 70 s that was in the 3 wood and I replaced it with an Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 70 s. The Evenflow has that whole shaft bend profile going on so it does not feel like any one specific bend point. The Diamana has a more specific bend point that I can feel plus the butt feels a bit softer. The Evenflow has that whole shaft load and unload with a very stable overall feel. It loads and kicks like a mule, but feels like it stays with me throughout the swing. The Diamana has that traditional feel that needs me to time it more or I can overpower it.

The Evenflow has been quite a surprise shaft for me. I played the Ventus Red last couple of years and tried the Ventus Red TR this year, but the Evenflow has played better than both for me. There is just something about it that fits my swing better than most and it has a feel that is addictive with that whole shaft kick.

Warning though, it has been discontinued so they are getting harder to find.

Riptide.jpg

Edited by ShortSticks
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ShortSticks said:

I will try to help, but remember feel is very subjective.

Yes it is the Diamana S+ 70 s that was in the 3 wood and I replaced it with an Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 70 s. The Evenflow has that whole shaft bend profile going on so it does not feel like any one specific bend point. The Diamana has a more specific bend point that I can feel plus the butt feels a bit softer. The Evenflow has that whole shaft load and unload with a very stable overall feel. It loads and kicks like a mule, but feels like it stays with me throughout the swing. The Diamana has that traditional feel that needs me to time it more or I can overpower it.

The Evenflow has been quite a surprise shaft for me. I played the Ventus Red last couple of years and tried the Ventus Red TR this year, but the Evenflow has played better than both for me. There is just something about it that fits my swing better than most and it has a feel that is addictive with that whole shaft kick.

Warning though, it has been discontinued so they are getting harder to find.

Riptide.jpg

This is awesome feedback, thank you! It sounds like you're describing exactly what I'm looking for -- a little more stout toward the butt and upper-mid than a Diamana blueboard; not quite as extreme in the other direction as something like a Ventus TR Red. 

The bad news is you're right, they're harder to find now. The good news is if you do find them, and I see a few on eBay, they're pretty cheap! Might be worth it for me to just give one a shot. The red paint job is honestly pretty cool too.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

Hybrids: Ping G430 3H, 5H @25* | Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

6 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

What is it you don't like about the 430 hybrids? 

If I'm honest I can't quite put my finger on it. But I think they're a slightly shallower face than I'm used to, and they are wider front to back. And they seem to have a bit of left in them. 

The PXG seems to have a profile a little more like the Idea Pro, which I always found I could hit down on like an iron rather than sweep. 

• Like 1

Gen 6 is great. The Diamana shaft is the best one for me. I love it. Seems way more stable than any Evenflow shaft I’ve tried. Diamana S-plus is your standard mid-bend blueboard profile. Classic Diamana. Been playing them for years. Excellent shafts for fairways. Have a few buds playing the same setup.

I would not decide off profile, I’d test them. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Gen 6 is great. The Diamana shaft is the best one for me. I love it. Seems way more stable than any Evenflow shaft I’ve tried. Diamana S-plus is your standard mid-bend blueboard profile. Classic Diamana. Been playing them for years. Excellent shafts for fairways. Have a few buds playing the same setup.

I would not decide off profile, I’d test them. 

Not sure if you're replying to me or not. But by profile I meant head profile, thinner front to back. It just used to allow me to get in behind the ball better especially out of the rough. 

29 minutes ago, Honman said:

Not sure if you're replying to me or not. But by profile I meant head profile, thinner front to back. It just used to allow me to get in behind the ball better especially out of the rough. 

I was posting on the fairway shafts. I think the stock Diamana is good and fits a lot of player.

On hybrids I agree with you. Not too bulky is better.

On face height I don’t mind low profiles like Pings. I find those easy to elevate. 

That said, I play either a Callaway Mavrik Pro or a Cobra F9 at the 4 hybrid and that’s the only hybrid I play, along with a 7 wood and strong 5 wood. The Mav Pro hybrid got overlooked but that little hybrid has some pop. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

• 3 months later...

My 0311 XF 7 and 4 woods were delivered today.

They both perform great, they launch it high, are forgiving and the moveable weights allow you to dial in a fade bias, but...

Whilst the 7 wood sounds meh, the 4 wood sounds absolutely horrible. It's like the love child of the Nike SQ and Cleveland Hibore XL drivers.

It's not normal for a PXG club to sound this bad, so I'm wondering if the 4 wood has a hairline crack (didn't see anything obvious) or is missing some sound dampening tech that they usually stick into the heads (foam / hotmelt / whatever).

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

What was so confusing about that? 

How bad any PXG club could sound. Never heard one that sounded anything other than muted and powerful. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Just now, OspreyCI said:

How bad any PXG club could sound. Never heard one that sounded anything other than muted and powerful. 

I've seen several awful OEM mess ups over the years as well as freight company parcel abuse (this one had to get from Arizona to Queensland, Australia).

I'll take a close look at it in the daylight with my glasses on in the morning, my money is on a crack.

• Like 1

I couldn't find a crack in the 4W and first round on the course is in the books.

4W still sounds funky and sounds much worse than the 7W and hybrids on course (or even when bouncing a ball up and down on the face), but definitely not as bad when using a urethane ball vs a range rock.

However, it's not notable compared to the performance. IMO PXG completely out-Pings Ping in the fairway and hybrid department.

Way more confidence inspiring off the tee because of the deeper face, moveable weights can get rid of draw bias (unlike Ping) and they launch much easier off the deck than Ping for me, in spite of the deeper face. That deeper face means I feel like I can hit more down on it, which probably means contact higher up the face.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

I couldn't find a crack in the 4W and first round on the course is in the books.

4W still sounds funky and sounds much worse than the 7W and hybrids on course (or even when bouncing a ball up and down on the face), but definitely not as bad when using a urethane ball vs a range rock.

However, it's not notable compared to the performance. IMO PXG completely out-Pings Ping in the fairway and hybrid department.

Way more confidence inspiring off the tee because of the deeper face, moveable weights can get rid of draw bias (unlike Ping) and they launch much easier off the deck than Ping for me, in spite of the deeper face. That deeper face means I feel like I can hit more down on it, which probably means contact higher up the face.

Glad the performance is outweighing the sound. Tee it up a taste off the tee, hit a little up on it, and see what the sound it like. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick