2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Switching from Right handed golf to Left Handed golf swing.... Journey begins

spicyhawg

Is switching to left a left handed swing a good idea ?   

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm starting the daunting, humbling, exciting adventure of switching from a right handed to left handed golf swing and figured why not record my journey or journal online. Maybe putting this out into the golfing community/world can be helpful in some way ? I'm open to receive feedback from any others that might have tired the same task or just crowd source about ideas or strategy's that could help me improve along the way.  

My golfing background... I came to the game late started playing when i was in my early 30's and have been playing for about 10 years now. My right handed Hdcp was  down to in the 9's this year and is hovering closer to 10 currently. I have plenty of swing speed to be a low single digit handicap ( can cruise with the driver 110mph+) But i have major technique problems engrained from playing for 10 years without lessons. I have a severe inside takeaway, get super steep in the downswing and early extend. I finally broke down this year and took lessons for 5-6 months. While I have shown some improvement in my technique it has been marginal and  at my age changing motor patterns is a long tedious process. Reversion is a real thing... and when you get on the course over that golf ball your brain will revert back to its old flaws....  I've come to the point of wondering if I just play with what I got and know I wont be able to lower my handicap much more due to poor technique. 

After practicing 4-5 times a week for the past year with building frustration of not being able to change my swing has  brought me to the "epiphany" If i was to go lefty then I could have a fresh start. In theory I shouldn't have the crazy engrained motor patterns my left handed swing has. If I can build a new swing from the ground up with sound fundamentals and the knowledge I already have from 10 years of golfing then maybe this is a long term path to better golf ?  I would in sense be reborn into the golf world, without the scar tissue of shanks, hooks, excessive swing thoughts. The thought of breaking 100 again for the first time alone just sounds like fun. 

Disclaimer... i have never been someone remotely close to what you would call ambidextrous. My son is 5 years old and Left handed. My first baby step was just picking up his 7 iron and swinging it around the house. So I turned the camera on and figured might as well see how baby giraffe this swing looks. Backswing not too terrible, feels like I can make a backswing without a whole lot of thought about the club whipping inside a nice change from my right handed swing. The down swing and the weight transfer holy cow... We look like we never swung a golf club before, well you really havent right?  duh... It is very clear to me early I'm going to have to do ALOT of work on weight transfer, getting to my front side and sequencing will be a huge focus. 

Yesterday, I took one more baby step I went to a golf shop and bought a left handed wedge for $15. While I believe putting will be the easiest thing to conform and will take the least amount of practice time. I decided to start with chipping. I'm an "ok" i'd say streaky chipper right handed, go thru stretches of really good chipping and so so chipping. So I tried to mimic my right handed setup, feet close together, ball in the middle of my stance, forward shaft lean and really just try to focus on making good ground contact. Even chipping feels so alien to me left handed, but I was amazed as my first 5 chips had good contact and were just as good as I might have done right handed. I then proceeded to skull 5 in arow over the green lol.... took a short break regrouped and was able to start making decent contact again and actually holed out 2 short chips. Very unexpected and what a great feeling that was !  

I thought well this is going better then expected why not march over to the Pitching area that has about 8 different flags of different distances you can aim for. This got me already questioning what technique I should be using for pitching more pendulum stiff arm with little wrist hinge or to use more hinge and time up the release at the bottom seems very difficult at the moment. after topping about 10 balls I was able to start getting a few up in the air. Not sure I have ever had so much satisfaction in hitting a little slicey 50 yard pitch shot in my life. 

Sorry this went longer then expected, If you didnt read cause the length, dont blame ya!  I am going back and forth on the idea of lessons and when to start them ? I'm wondering if I should at least work on being able to make sure I can make a full swing and hit a ball in the air and spend some time on my own getting some kind of level of skill, Or would it be better to get lessons as soon as possible to get squared away on setup, grip fundamentals etc... Typing this I think the later makes alot of sense.  Please feel free to tell me I'm a crazy person, or give any advise or thoughts you have !  

Changing ingrained motor patterns is hard, but I can’t imagine it’s harder than learning to play from the “wrong” side. 

If I was forced to do this, I would probably get lessons as soon as I could consistently get the ball in the air with a mid iron. 

Good luck!

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

P-UDI 2-3 Recoil Dart 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
PLD Anser 30

36 minutes ago, Zitlow said:

I heard it took Mac O'Grady a year to learn to swing left handed. 

Didn't he try to enter some foursome event as his own pair eg just him hitting alternative shots right then left handed?

Mac, what a character.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

2 hours ago, spicyhawg said:

I'm starting the daunting, humbling, exciting adventure of switching from a right handed to left handed golf swing and figured why not record my journey or journal online. Maybe putting this out into the golfing community/world can be helpful in some way ? I'm open to receive feedback from any others that might have tired the same task or just crowd source about ideas or strategy's that could help me improve along the way.  

My golfing background... I came to the game late started playing when i was in my early 30's and have been playing for about 10 years now. My right handed Hdcp was  down to in the 9's this year and is hovering closer to 10 currently. I have plenty of swing speed to be a low single digit handicap ( can cruise with the driver 110mph+) But i have major technique problems engrained from playing for 10 years without lessons. I have a severe inside takeaway, get super steep in the downswing and early extend. I finally broke down this year and took lessons for 5-6 months. While I have shown some improvement in my technique it has been marginal and  at my age changing motor patterns is a long tedious process. Reversion is a real thing... and when you get on the course over that golf ball your brain will revert back to its old flaws....  I've come to the point of wondering if I just play with what I got and know I wont be able to lower my handicap much more due to poor technique. 

After practicing 4-5 times a week for the past year with building frustration of not being able to change my swing has  brought me to the "epiphany" If i was to go lefty then I could have a fresh start. In theory I shouldn't have the crazy engrained motor patterns my left handed swing has. If I can build a new swing from the ground up with sound fundamentals and the knowledge I already have from 10 years of golfing then maybe this is a long term path to better golf ?  I would in sense be reborn into the golf world, without the scar tissue of shanks, hooks, excessive swing thoughts. The thought of breaking 100 again for the first time alone just sounds like fun. 

Disclaimer... i have never been someone remotely close to what you would call ambidextrous. My son is 5 years old and Left handed. My first baby step was just picking up his 7 iron and swinging it around the house. So I turned the camera on and figured might as well see how baby giraffe this swing looks. Backswing not too terrible, feels like I can make a backswing without a whole lot of thought about the club whipping inside a nice change from my right handed swing. The down swing and the weight transfer holy cow... We look like we never swung a golf club before, well you really havent right?  duh... It is very clear to me early I'm going to have to do ALOT of work on weight transfer, getting to my front side and sequencing will be a huge focus. 

Yesterday, I took one more baby step I went to a golf shop and bought a left handed wedge for $15. While I believe putting will be the easiest thing to conform and will take the least amount of practice time. I decided to start with chipping. I'm an "ok" i'd say streaky chipper right handed, go thru stretches of really good chipping and so so chipping. So I tried to mimic my right handed setup, feet close together, ball in the middle of my stance, forward shaft lean and really just try to focus on making good ground contact. Even chipping feels so alien to me left handed, but I was amazed as my first 5 chips had good contact and were just as good as I might have done right handed. I then proceeded to skull 5 in arow over the green lol.... took a short break regrouped and was able to start making decent contact again and actually holed out 2 short chips. Very unexpected and what a great feeling that was !  

I thought well this is going better then expected why not march over to the Pitching area that has about 8 different flags of different distances you can aim for. This got me already questioning what technique I should be using for pitching more pendulum stiff arm with little wrist hinge or to use more hinge and time up the release at the bottom seems very difficult at the moment. after topping about 10 balls I was able to start getting a few up in the air. Not sure I have ever had so much satisfaction in hitting a little slicey 50 yard pitch shot in my life. 

Sorry this went longer then expected, If you didnt read cause the length, dont blame ya!  I am going back and forth on the idea of lessons and when to start them ? I'm wondering if I should at least work on being able to make sure I can make a full swing and hit a ball in the air and spend some time on my own getting some kind of level of skill, Or would it be better to get lessons as soon as possible to get squared away on setup, grip fundamentals etc... Typing this I think the later makes alot of sense.  Please feel free to tell me I'm a crazy person, or give any advise or thoughts you have !  

I would ask yourself why can't you change your swing? If you can't, then you aren't doing something right. Mirrors, video, slow movements, small swings, repetition. You shouldn't even be hitting full speed if you are trying to change things in your swing. Bad shots will happens and it's part of change.

Moving to left handed isn't going to make things easier. It's going to make things harder.

Edited by hanginnwangin
  • Like 1

The "fresh start" idea is flawed. Everyone who's never played golf before is beginning with a fresh start. After a few buckets of balls, they are promoted to 'beginner who sucks out loud' status. Given how much work you've already done, you are now a dreadful lefty who has already hopelessly tarnished the purity of his 'fresh start'.

People don't get better at things because they've never made a mistake. They get better because they learn how they suck and use that suckage as a frame of reference against which to calibrate changes in another direction. For example, you're not hopelessly trapped in your inside takeaway. You know where it is, so you can use it as a frame of reference as you look for too far outside. Once you've found both, you can start to look for somewhere in the middle. Alternatively, you can just keep your too far inside takeaway and look at successful golfers who have used it to their advantage and see what they do differently (John Daly and Ray Floyd come to mind). And, all of that will take less time than learning how to play badly as a left-hander.

That all said, there are interesting things to learn from doing things from the opposite side. And with golf, swinging from the opposite side is a good way to unscrew your spine. I remember Vijay talking about playing practice rounds Steve Flesch. Flesch is left-handed, so they would switch clubs for part of the round.

Something you might try is learning to throw left-handed. You can use mirroring to facilitate the process. Mirroring involves throwing with both hands at the same time. While mirroring, your left arm will do almost exactly what your right arm does. Alternate throwing both together with lefty alone and eventually, your lefty throwing will improve. 
Boxing southpaw is also a good way to develop left-handedness. Boxing and throwing have some carryover to golf to some degree. Anyway, good luck.

I've thought about it. I play lefty, but I'm a righty (always batted lefty in baseball, played lacrosse dominant lefty etc.)

But the more i think about it, it's just not worth it. Would probably take at least a year (and that's being very generous) to get as good as I am lefty now, and that's with a lot of righty practice. If I just used the practice time i'd have to put in switching sides into the swing i already have, I'd be better off. 

Unless you just want to do this for fun, then go for it, but I don't think you'll be a better golfer. If you're familiar with No Laying Up one of their guys (Tron) went lefty for a year if you're curious to see somebody do it. Plenty of videos of him playing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hanginnwangin said:

I would ask yourself why can't you change your swing? If you can't, then you aren't doing something right. Mirrors, video, slow movements, small swings, repetition. You shouldn't even be hitting full speed if you are trying to change things in your swing. Bad shots will happens and it's part of change.

Moving to left handed isn't going to make things easier. It's going to make things harder.

Who said anything about making it easier ?  There is nothing easy about doing something as stupid as this lol... I do welcome criticism though to help motivate me.  Actually working on a bet with a buddy of mine about breaking 100. He said he would give me 2:1 odds 😄

1 hour ago, Fuscinator said:

The "fresh start" idea is flawed.

Yep.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

Im 100% supporting this endeavor. Ive done it and so have others. Its uncommon (obviously) but not unheard of. I find it really fun and rewarding. You have to have the right mindset as its going to take several years to probably feel somewhat comfortable without experience in another sport etc.. (you stated no prior ambidextrous experience). I personally find a real advantage to having your dominant arm as the lead arm. There are some topics associated with that concept. 

I agree with others on getting lessons as soon as possible tho. But its pretty natural to get a wedge and start messing around to see if its even something you would want to try. That is what I did at least. Good luck!

• Like 1

Good luck with your journey!  But you don't need this for an excuse to buy new gear.  This is WRX!  😂

• Haha 1

Driver: Paradym AI Smoke 💎💎💎 Max, 9 deg; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

As a higher handicap, I don't often have a ton of value to contribute. But as someone who swapped from playing lefty to playing righty just over a year ago, this is a topic I am more qualified than most on here!

For me- I am pretty ambidextrous- I bat lefty, throw righty (in everything- baseball, football, bowling) play pool righty, and for the first six years of golf I played lefty. 

I, however, was not down to a 9 handicap, and if I were, I probably would not have swapped. At the point where I resolved to start over, I had struggled to ever have much success- I shot in the 90's sometimes and shot in the 80's once, but my swing had completely fallen apart and at the point I swapped I hadn't kept score all season, was miserable playing, and am fairly confident I hadn't made a par that year. I had taken lessons to try to correct (I don't remember how many, 5 maybe that year?) and practiced daily, it just never got better. My thought process was "how long could it possibly take to get back HERE?" 

I started over at the end of the season. Swinging the other way was tough to get used to. Mentally, I found myself walking up on by ball thinking as a lefty and having to do mental gymnastics to turn around my brain. Still, I was able to reset my attitude about the game, which was the most important thing- I had NOT been having fun. With expectations reset, I showed up every time I played (I have a Country Club membership) with the attitude of a new golfer, just enjoying being out there. 

Over the winter, I played and practiced a bunch (I have a nice sim setup at home.) Progress came slow, but I expected it- I'm starting over from the wrong side in my late 30's. By the time this years season started, I was good enough to keep score. Scores were over 100, averaging over 110, but already much improved over where I ended the season. Before too long, I made my first right handed par, and started making more pars. Again- I was never that good, but I was making progress, something I couldn't say about my left handed self for over two years. 

By the end of the season- remembering that I practiced almost every day, I had broken 100 a couple times (breaking 100 was the goal for the year,) had my first round without losing a ball, had my first right handed birdie and my second right handed birdie in the same round, and most importantly- I was enjoying the game and looking forward to playing. 

This winter I have high hopes of making big strides for next year and looking forward to next season. My lateral epicondylitis just flared back up, which is killing me as I was really looking forward to my daily practice. That said, I still have the goal of shooting in the 80's next year, hoping to beat my best ever lefty score of 89 and shooting in the 80's consistently. At that point I'll be better than I ever was as a lefty. 

For you, I wish the best of luck. It'll take a lot longer to get back to where you were if you were a 9, but as long as you are committed to the process and enjoy the idea of starting over, I'd say to "have at it!"

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bm11 said:

As a higher handicap, I don't often have a ton of value to contribute. But as someone who swapped from playing lefty to playing righty just over a year ago, this is a topic I am more qualified than most on here!

For me- I am pretty ambidextrous- I bat lefty, throw righty (in everything- baseball, football, bowling) play pool righty, and for the first six years of golf I played lefty. 

I, however, was not down to a 9 handicap, and if I were, I probably would not have swapped. At the point where I resolved to start over, I had struggled to ever have much success- I shot in the 90's sometimes and shot in the 80's once, but my swing had completely fallen apart and at the point I swapped I hadn't kept score all season, was miserable playing, and am fairly confident I hadn't made a par that year. I had taken lessons to try to correct (I don't remember how many, 5 maybe that year?) and practiced daily, it just never got better. My thought process was "how long could it possibly take to get back HERE?" 

I started over at the end of the season. Swinging the other way was tough to get used to. Mentally, I found myself walking up on by ball thinking as a lefty and having to do mental gymnastics to turn around my brain. Still, I was able to reset my attitude about the game, which was the most important thing- I had NOT been having fun. With expectations reset, I showed up every time I played (I have a Country Club membership) with the attitude of a new golfer, just enjoying being out there. 

Over the winter, I played and practiced a bunch (I have a nice sim setup at home.) Progress came slow, but I expected it- I'm starting over from the wrong side in my late 30's. By the time this years season started, I was good enough to keep score. Scores were over 100, averaging over 110, but already much improved over where I ended the season. Before too long, I made my first right handed par, and started making more pars. Again- I was never that good, but I was making progress, something I couldn't say about my left handed self for over two years. 

By the end of the season- remembering that I practiced almost every day, I had broken 100 a couple times (breaking 100 was the goal for the year,) had my first round without losing a ball, had my first right handed birdie and my second right handed birdie in the same round, and most importantly- I was enjoying the game and looking forward to playing. 

This winter I have high hopes of making big strides for next year and looking forward to next season. My lateral epicondylitis just flared back up, which is killing me as I was really looking forward to my daily practice. That said, I still have the goal of shooting in the 80's next year, hoping to beat my best ever lefty score of 89 and shooting in the 80's consistently. At that point I'll be better than I ever was as a lefty. 

For you, I wish the best of luck. It'll take a lot longer to get back to where you were if you were a 9, but as long as you are committed to the process and enjoy the idea of starting over, I'd say to "have at it!"

BM, thanks for sharing man! that is awesome. I would like to think I could reach single digits as a lefty... but if it takes me 5 years to do it haha... That is a very long game to consider. Right now I'm just really enjoying the process and having fun with it. 

My only real goal so far is to break 100.... Once I start actually playing some rounds  and collecting some strokes gained data on my left handed swing. I'll start forming some mini-goals to try and get me headed in the right direction.  

When I mentioned fresh start I think you may have worded this better then I did... You stated you were able to change your attitude and you had stopped having fun....

I think I got so caught up trying to play golf swing and work on technique every day it just was not as much fun. I think this is going to be fun... and cant wait to prove my naysayers wrong lol 

Edited by spicyhawg

19 minutes ago, spicyhawg said:

BM, thanks for sharing man! that is awesome. I would like to think I could reach single digits as a lefty... but if it takes me 5 years to do it haha... That is a very long game to consider. Right now I'm just really enjoying the process and having fun with it. 

My only real goal so far is to break 100.... Once I start actually playing some rounds  and collecting some strokes gained data on my left handed swing. I'll start forming some mini-goals to try and get me headed in the right direction.  

When I mentioned fresh start I think you may have worded this better then I did... You stated you were able to change your attitude and you had stopped having fun....

I think I got so caught up trying to play golf swing and work on technique every day it just was not as much fun. I think this is going to be fun... and cant wait to prove my naysayers wrong lol 

Yeah, it was a mental reset for me, and I needed it. I really should have quit but I've never quit anything, it isn't really in my makeup to accept defeat. But it was rough- I have a Sunday morning block time at 7 am, and my swing had gotten so bad that there was no possibility of having fun. It's one thing to be new and to hit every shot poorly, it's another thing to be 6 years in with hundreds of rounds under your belt, many lessons, prior ability to somewhat play decent golf and then go out and never have a good shot. I would be in such a bad mood when I got home that it would ruin the rest of my day, literally. I've been good at every other thing I've ever tried, golf was really killing me. 

I am in this for the challenge and to make golf fun again for me. Who's to say I couldnt be better left handed then I am right handed long term ?  Will see where it goes...

Also...I am doing it to get better at golf.... but better at left handed golf not right handed golf. Clearly my right handed game is going to suffer and that's ok. My current focus is to enjoy the process and to break 100 left handed. 

I learned to play when left handed equipment was hard to come by, so as a natural lefty, I played right handed for years. But it always bothered me that I wasn't as good as I wanted to be and that maybe I needed to play left handed to reach whatever modest potential I had. So I switched when I was 40 years old or something like that. I don't know that it made me better. But it didn't take all that long for me to equal what I was doing right handed.

My advice... learn to play left handed if you want to, but don't completely give up your right handed swing. I did for a long time, but at one point, I started hitting balls right handed a little every time I went to the range. You'll be a better player for it. One side's feel will inform the other. It's like speaking more than one language. Your body will thank you, too, getting that balance.

I always keep one right handed iron in my bag. Occasionally, on the course, I'll hit a shot to a troublesome spot where a left handed swing will be very awkward, but a right handed one won't be, like to the edge of a bunker where standing in the two feet below the ball would be a nightmare, but hitting it right handed from the grass is way easier. It doesn't happen that often, but it's nice to have that option when it does.

I just put together a club for left handed practice as I'm cross dominant.  A 34* T100  7 iron with a ladies flex shaft!

I had 25* 5 iron but a mid iron I can work makes a lot more sense than a long iron.

I enjoy solving puzzles.  I am really good at fixing issues with my swing.  As a beginner I'd figure it out by the end of 9 hole round.

Now I'm working on ways of improving my consistency.  I hit a lot of trees.  A recent drill has been to hit a couple balls just to the right of the big maple tree in my yard.

As well as slowing down to improve my tempo.  Sometimes stopping entirely starting over again if I miss my "arm slot."

As a stroke survivor who had to learn how to walk again I have a lot of awareness of how I move my body.  Video is used to help with that.

Edited by ShortGolfer

just take a video of your swing right handed and flip the swing to left handed on the video. I did this one time couple years ago and my left handed swing looked like Tiger woods. Funny how left handed swings look better vs. right, even for the same swing. I sent it to my golfing buddies telling them it was my left handed swing and their jaws dropped, lol. Wanted me to start playing left handed. 

Edited by MK7Golf21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm left handed but bat and play golf right. Had all the shots and a 9 HC Putting was keeping me from going lower. I too bought a left handed PW Just for sitz and wiggles and it felt like I had just dropped acid. Ended my experiment. 

Maybe I missed it but what makes you think you will be able to score better starting all over again from the other side? 

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

3 hours ago, K48 said:

@spicyhawg here’s an idea of your righty / lefty journey from a lefty / righty 

Thanks for sharing this...I have defiantly already noticed my trail arm wanting to collapse in the backswing seems to be a pretty common swing flaw for a new golfer. Lol and something I will have to work on alot is my arm structure.  

OP, if you’re really going to try this, I’d urge you in the strongest possible terms to do it with a good teaching pro.  Learning a new swing on your own sounds like a great path to ingraining a new set of flaws, and this is going to be tough enough as it is.

Here’s a cautionary tale for you.  I have a buddy who was an all conference lefty QB, but like many people who are nominally left handed, including me, he’s all over the place in terms of sports; he’s as ambidextrous as anybody I’ve ever met. He learned to play golf right handed simply because his dad’s clubs were righty.  Years later, he thought he’d give lefty golf a try; he couldn’t hit it out of his shadow, or even make consistent contact.  This is an elite athlete; 3 sport guy in HS who could have played either basketball or baseball at the small college level instead of big-time football.  

Im not that caliber of athlete, but I did play college tennis, and I was a lefty; I’m also pretty close to ambidextrous. Oddly enough, the first time I ever swung at a golf ball, it was with a HS buddy’s lefty clubs; couldn’t hit it AT ALL, but it worked right away hitting right handed, probably because my dad taught me to hit a baseball righty.

In short, you’re in for a LONG haul with this, no matter how god an athlete you are, and I think it’s pretty likely that you’ll never develop much swing speed lefty.  But again, if you’re going to try this, GET AN INSTRUCTOR!

I've recorded my swing speed over 130mph during speed training right handed before. I don't swing anywhere near that close when actually on the golf course. But how much swing speed left handed do I need ? I'm assuming my left handed swing speed is prob higher then most beginner golfers. 

Yes I agree lessons would be a great idea. It might be a little while before I'm able to take lessons again though. Who here knows how long it takes to engrain in initial motor pattern ? 💭

Edited by spicyhawg

Assuming this is a serious thread - 

No chance. Sorry. 

My brief experience teaching absolute beginners who had never held a club, is that yes it is possible to get them off to a great start in ten minutes, by sweeping the mat, using a serviceable grip and setup, and they were getting the ball in the air immediately.

20 minutes later they had already reverted to "bad" habits, flicking at the ball, trying to get underneath it. 

You simply will not be able to make a "fresh" start without quickly developing bad tendencies. Happens to everyone, far as I know. The golf swing is not a natural move. 

• Like 1

A friend of mine switched to left handed because of a shoulder injury.  It took him a year to get back to mid single digits. 

I played a couple rounds left handed when I had some injury a few years ago and I was terrible at it.  My left handed swing is better now because I have swung left handed a lot doing over speed training and so on but I probably would have a really hard time shooting around 100.  

Switching to left handed to have fun is fine but I would not advise switching in order to see swing improvement.

Update: Well I made a financial commitment to the project yesterday...

I picked up a lefty driver ( Taylormade M6)  got a great deal on it... seems to be a pretty forgiving driver from reviews I have read. I have been playing X-stiff shafts in my driver for awhile. This driver has a regular shaft which I think makes sense as my swing speed will be way slower and I'll just be trying to get the ball up in the air. 

I also got a set of Irons off Ebay ordered... Wilson Launch Pad 2... Anyone on here played them ? I doubt it as everyone on here is pro or semi-pro 😄 They are what I would call a total beginner set of irons that look more like a hybrid then an iron. I would have never played these right handed due to ego... I'm doing my best to leave my ego in the back seat and starting out just wanted to have the maximum forgiveness possible in my bag.  

I'm working from home so far this week with a sick kido... so no range session until maybe Wednesday . I have been recording some slow motion swings with my phone around the house, I also have a divot board and been getting a few reps on that. I'm planning to try and get to Home Depot today to purchase a rope. I'm sure its been talked about on here quite a bit but has anyone had good success doing the Dr. Kwon rope drill ?  I think it could really help my sequencing.  Please share any thoughts on above equipment, rope drill etc...