2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Questions for Pinehurst Resort Regulars

I'm headed to Pinehurst for my first trip to the actual resort.   I've played other courses in the sandhill areas but this will be #8, #2, Cradle and #4.   I have a couple of questions regarding logistics around the resort.  We will be staying at Holly Inn and plan to use the shuttles.

-Does the clubhouses have a locker or somewhere guests can change shoes etc and store street shoes?   I'm assuming most people don't wear golf shoes everywhere.

-It sounds like they will hold our clubs and have them at the next round / facility for the next tee time.   Is this what most people do or is it better to haul them back to the room on the shuttle?

-Any other tips from the Pinehurst regulars?

Thanks,

BC

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BC_ said:

I'm headed to Pinehurst for my first trip to the actual resort.   I've played other courses in the sandhill areas but this will be #8, #2, Cradle and #4.   I have a couple of questions regarding logistics around the resort.  We will be staying at Holly Inn and plan to use the shuttles.

-Does the clubhouses have a locker or somewhere guests can change shoes etc and store street shoes?   I'm assuming most people don't wear golf shoes everywhere.

-It sounds like they will hold our clubs and have them at the next round / facility for the next tee time.   Is this what most people do or is it better to haul them back to the room on the shuttle?

-Any other tips from the Pinehurst regulars?

Thanks,

BC

The main clubhouse (which serves courses 1-5) has a large locker room and an attendant, if you want your shoes cleaned etc. The other courses have smaller clubhouses but all have at least a small room where you can change. 

They will give a bagtag with your full itinerary and your clubs will appear at each course/round. You can haul them back to your room if you'd like but it is not necessary

To my surprise Pinehurst does have lockers at the clubhouse. We used one to store the extra items we brought but weren't going to need that day plus shop purchases. That was four years ago. I'm assuming the policy hasn't changed. Call the course to confirm.

I’m sure they already let you know but #2 has some holes that will have mats as they ramp up for the US open. 

#4 I agree is a special course. I’ve got a tee time booked on New Year’s Day. It’s by far my favorite course on the property. 

Make time for thistle putting course as well. I would argue it’s more fun than the cradle and it’s free. 

7 minutes ago, Drwoods2017 said:

I’m sure they already let you know but #2 has some holes that will have mats as they ramp up for the US open. 

#4 I agree is a special course. I’ve got a tee time booked on New Year’s Day. It’s by far my favorite course on the property. 

Make time for thistle putting course as well. I would argue it’s more fun than the cradle and it’s free. 

I did read about the mats.   It sounds like it's all the par 3s and some of the landing areas on the other holes.     

1. As others have said, the main clubhouse has a locker room. #8 has a nice one too. Our group just changed into golf shoes before getting on the trolley in the morning. It was the easiest way and many others were doing the same. Most of the people I saw walking around at the Duece (everyone in golf shoes) or the breakfast buffet were in golf shoes. 

I wouldn’t worry too much about the rain. Yea it’s not ideal but the courses drain very well so I wouldn’t expect any issues on that front. 

Yes, return your clubs to the main clubhouse bag room after each round and they magically appear at whatever course you are playing next. The one time you may want to take them yourselves is if you have 36 booked and it’s a tight window between the two. 

Stop by pinehurst brewery. My group enjoyed the food and beers. 

One thing nice about the Holly is you get a bit more of a feel for the town. It gives it a bit less of a resort vibe. Which I found appealing. The shuttles are great. Whenever you need one just mention it to the front desk and someone will be there in 2-3 minutes. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4

3 hours ago, Tyrus Webb said:

Use Holly Inn as your locker room and wear shoes to the course.

Don't schlep your clubs.  It's like magic for them to simply arrive, and it doesn't seem to matter where you leave them.  They just show up where you need them to.

Collect tees from all the various hotels, bars, and courses.  Fun free souvenir.

Make a 2 on #2 and you can get a sweet ball marker at The Deuce.

#4 is special.

Drink lots of Transfusions at The Cradle.

Perfectly said on all of this, however would defer to the Red-cockaded Woodpecker for a drink (more local to Pinehurst than a Trany). I think they are mostly served at the halfway house on #2, but cradle will make them as well, just not in the woodpecker cup.

Big fan of downstairs at Dugan's pub... good pub grub, guiness, and usually a live acoustic set. Vibes are great. 

The Manor has a great bourbon bar if you are into that.

Enjoy Pinehurst - it's magical.

Edited by jibbs1082
  • Like 1

TM Qi10LS 8*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Series 70 Flex-X

PXG 0341 X Gen 2 3W 15*, Devotion 75 Flex 04 (S) 

Titleist T-100 (2019) 3-PW, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 Flex S

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

Titleist Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5

Others have covered most insights very well but I must mention that Uber’s are basically non-existent around Pinehurst- so if you are flying in it is prudent to get a rental car and have a DD if you’re having adult beverages.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

2 hours ago, jibbs1082 said:

Perfectly said on all of this, however would defer to the Red-cockaded Woodpecker for a drink (more local to Pinehurst than a Trany). I think they are mostly served at the halfway house on #2, but cradle will make them as well, just not in the woodpecker cup.

Big fan of downstairs at Dugan's pub... good pub grub, guiness, and usually a live acoustic set. Vibes are great. 

The Manor has a great bourbon bar if you are into that.

Enjoy Pinehurst - it's magical.

It's funny I had a woodpecker the last time I was at the resort. I thought I would like it better than a transfusion but I didn't. The woodpecker is basically a Shirley Temple with Vodka for those that don't know. 🙂

Awesome info!  I'm headed there next week for my maiden voyage.  Can't wait!!

Driver: Stealth Plus 10.5* Ventus Red
Fairway: Ping G400 17* Tour AD-DI
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21* Tour AD-DI
Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 4 and 5 iron Steelfiber i95
Irons: New Level 623 CB Aerotech Steelfiber i80
Wedges: Fourteen RM-4 50*, 56* and 61*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

On 12/14/2023 at 4:18 PM, islesmb said:

It's funny I had a woodpecker the last time I was at the resort. I thought I would like it better than a transfusion but I didn't. The woodpecker is basically a Shirley Temple with Vodka for those that don't know. 🙂

It is... its not that great... nor is a tranny if made poorly (either too sweet OR way too clear). Anyways, at least its local to Pinehurst haha 

• Thanks 1

Titleist Vokey SM9 50* 08F, 56* 14F, Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge Flex S

On 12/14/2023 at 2:32 PM, BombinJim said:

Others have covered most insights very well but I must mention that Uber’s are basically non-existent around Pinehurst- so if you are flying in it is prudent to get a rental car and have a DD if you’re having adult beverages.

Agree - if playing Tobacco, Pine Needles, Mid Pines or wanted to head into Southern Pines for drinks. If playing on the resort, and staying on site, no car required, can really walk and trolly everywhere.

On 12/18/2023 at 12:23 PM, BC_ said:

Thank you for all the notes everyone.    

Quick recap to the trip.   

We arrived early at the Holly Inn and the rooms were ready.   We headed to No 8 on the shuttle and had a great lunch at the clubhouse.   Round was nice and I can see that course looking amazing in the Spring and Summer.   Even with everything dormant the greens were awesome.

Dinner was included at the Holly Inn and it was fantastic.   After dinner was drinks at Dugan's Pub.  

Breakfast at the Carolina the next morning was great.   I'm always a fan of the omelet bar but the fruits put it over the top.   

We were the 2nd group off the Cradle on Sat morning.   You can tell by the Sunday bags they have as loaners that they can get a lot of play there.   We had a great time with some good laughs on those 9 holes.   It was also a great warm up for No 2.   We went off there at 12:00.   We had a Senior Caddy who had been working for years and was great.  Our Caddie was an older gentleman and a little slow but a good guy to chat with.   Finished the front 9 with 3 pars and got my 2 on No 2 on 17.    My buddy shot even par on the back with 3 birdies and a triple (on a par 3).   

We were rained out yesterday for No 4 but we will definitely go back! 

Forgot to mention breakfast at the Carolina as an important stop as any... good job on that one, and congrats on a great trip!

On 12/18/2023 at 12:23 PM, BC_ said:

Thank you for all the notes everyone.    

Quick recap to the trip.   

We arrived early at the Holly Inn and the rooms were ready.   We headed to No 8 on the shuttle and had a great lunch at the clubhouse.   Round was nice and I can see that course looking amazing in the Spring and Summer.   Even with everything dormant the greens were awesome.

Dinner was included at the Holly Inn and it was fantastic.   After dinner was drinks at Dugan's Pub.  

Breakfast at the Carolina the next morning was great.   I'm always a fan of the omelet bar but the fruits put it over the top.   

We were the 2nd group off the Cradle on Sat morning.   You can tell by the Sunday bags they have as loaners that they can get a lot of play there.   We had a great time with some good laughs on those 9 holes.   It was also a great warm up for No 2.   We went off there at 12:00.   We had a Senior Caddy who had been working for years and was great.  Our Caddie was an older gentleman and a little slow but a good guy to chat with.   Finished the front 9 with 3 pars and got my 2 on No 2 on 17.    My buddy shot even par on the back with 3 birdies and a triple (on a par 3).   

We were rained out yesterday for No 4 but we will definitely go back! 

I am headed up at the end of February, how many of the fairways on #2 did you have to use mats and were you able to just move them out of the landing area and not use the mats?

• 3 weeks later...

They had the small mats out in certain landing areas and on all the par 3's.   We stuck a tee in them to hold them in place so it wasn't too bad.   You also had the option to move back, up or to the side if there was any cut of rough.   

On 12/22/2023 at 7:12 AM, cassel191919 said:

I am headed up at the end of February, how many of the fairways on #2 did you have to use mats and were you able to just move them out of the landing area and not use the mats?

6 minutes ago, BC_ said:

They had the small mats out in certain landing areas and on all the par 3's.   We stuck a tee in them to hold them in place so it wasn't too bad.   You also had the option to move back, up or to the side if there was any cut of rough.   

Thank you, I was a little worried since it doesn't give much info on their site.

@Chanceman

Their website is pretty transparent on their pricing which is nice. Alot of variables including where you stay and what part of October. End of the month saves about 25%. If you’re adding courses off resort it’s usually best to to those at the start or end of the trip so you aren’t paying pinehurst hotel premiums. If you plan to play any of their good courses on resort they require a resort stay. 

Premier package is 4K for 4 nights and 4 rounds (2,4,8,10) including free replays and u limited other rounds.  Includes dinner and breakfast daily. 

Donald Ross package is another option. 3 nights 4 rounds is 2500. There’s an upcharge required for 2 and 10. Surprisingly not 4. Includes breakfast and dinner. 

If budget is a concern I would recommend going when rates drop. Late October to late November should still have some very fine weather and you will save yourself some money. Grass is becoming or has already gone dormant but plays like an absolute dream. Downside is less daylight and 36 is very hard to do. If you are someone that thinks mid 50s is cold I wouldn’t advise this time of year. 

My last trip was 3 nights 4 rounds, and we had guys that spent $1000 between caddie, proshop, and food/bev and others that spent $50. If the package includes breakfast and dinner there really isn’t much extra you need to spend once you are onsite and that’s really nice. 

take a look. https://www.pinehurst.com/packages/

Edited by StudentGolfer4
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

As others have eluded to, all the Pinehurst courses were just way out of our price range this spring so we're gonna play Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, and Mid Pines instead but are still going to call to get a round at The Cradle one afternoon while we're down there. If we just do that, we're still allowed access to the clubhouse, pro shop, and putting courses right? 

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 7X
Big Bertha 3WD 15* / Anser Hybrid 20*
SLDR 4-PW KBS Tour C-Taper 90 Stiff
Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 35"
Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

10 hours ago, isaacward44 said:

As others have eluded to, all the Pinehurst courses were just way out of our price range this spring so we're gonna play Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, and Mid Pines instead but are still going to call to get a round at The Cradle one afternoon while we're down there. If we just do that, we're still allowed access to the clubhouse, pro shop, and putting courses right? 

Yes. It's a very casual atmosphere. Check out the Deuce bar/restaurant overlooking the 18th green on #2. It's right next to the "pro shop" (it's more of a merchandise store).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, isaacward44 said:

You're allowed to do all that other stuff anyway. You don't need a tee time at the resort to go on property.

Edited by Drwoods2017
  • Like 1