2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Colorado WRX 2024

On 1/6/2024 at 7:46 PM, PreheatedStove said:

Hello fellow Colorado golfers! I (28M) am looking for some advice on getting back into golf after a 10 year hiatus, as I’ve only been playing a few times per year. This past holiday, my dad (who has become inspired to take his golf game more seriously in retirement) and I were gifted a trip to Traverse City, MI for this upcoming summer. So I’m planning on getting my game back in shape! I had a few questions for those familiar with golf near Denver.

Welcome! Where you playing in Traverse City? My cousin puts out a big outing every year in Northern Michigan that's always a great time. Some fantastic courses up there at incredibly solid rates. 

As for me this year...

• What are you looking to improve with your game this year? Putting and GIRs. I had a great stretch of golf last year, but those two things would be inconsistent and neither seemed to go together in a round lol. I'd love to crack in to the low single digits this coming year, but I know that will take some dedication and prioritization. 
  • What gear do plan on buying this year? I think my clubs are good for the upcoming year, but I'd like to get a motorized push cart. 
  • Do you plan on joining a club or league this year? Planning on staying at the Burb again this year.
  • Any fun golf trips planned? Yearly trip to Michigan. We're starting to talk about doing a trip to Pinehurst in the fall, so hopefully we can make that happen too.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

9 hours ago, thaar said:

Welcome! Where you playing in Traverse City? My cousin puts out a big outing every year in Northern Michigan that's always a great time. Some fantastic courses up there at incredibly solid rates. 

As for me this year...

• What are you looking to improve with your game this year? Putting and GIRs. I had a great stretch of golf last year, but those two things would be inconsistent and neither seemed to go together in a round lol. I'd love to crack in to the low single digits this coming year, but I know that will take some dedication and prioritization. 
  • What gear do plan on buying this year? I think my clubs are good for the upcoming year, but I'd like to get a motorized push cart. 
  • Do you plan on joining a club or league this year? Planning on staying at the Burb again this year.
  • Any fun golf trips planned? Yearly trip to Michigan. We're starting to talk about doing a trip to Pinehurst in the fall, so hopefully we can make that happen too.

Electric push carts are the sh*t....!  Once you have one you will wonder WTF took so long  😆

Pinehurst is one my FAV's for golf.  We are talking RTJ again this fall, but I think PH would be a better option since some going have not been to PH.  Love Mid Pines.... TR is great fun and a must play once, but WOW have they jacked the rates up on that place...!  Not worth that IMHO.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, movinggolfer said:

Any recommendations for teaching pros in the greater Boulder area? Not a particularly good golfer and would love to find a good instructor to work with this season.

Welcome @movinggolfer!

If you do a search in the older Colorado WRX threads on here, you should be able to find instructors kind of in your area. I think there was a mention of one or two in the Longmont area in last year's thread.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Hey everyone, new to this forum and new to Colorado in general!

My wife and I are avid golfers and we moved here a few months ago from the north east. Already enjoying the increased sunshine and open courses. Looking forward to seeing all that Colorado has to offer and golf all over this year.

What are you looking to improve with your game this year?

The goal this year is to work on my game off the tee. I normally only use a 3 wood and want to get comfortable with the Driver.

What gear do plan on buying this year?

Potentially a driver! Assuming I get comfortable with my swing haha.

Do you plan on joining a club or league this year?

We joined Fox Hill shortly after we moved here. We have played it a few times this winter and are looking forward to the upcoming golf season. 

Any fun golf trips planned?

We are going to Scottsdale in February. Not playing anywhere too notable but are looking forward to the warmer weather and golf

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, koulon said:

We joined Fox Hill shortly after we moved here. We have played it a few times this winter and are looking forward to the upcoming golf season. 

Welcome!  You should get to know @Joelness.  I hear he knows his way around Fox Hill 😄

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ASak10 said:

Welcome!  You should get to know @Joelness.  I hear he knows his way around Fox Hill 😄

And @koulon should be asking for at least 12 pops a side! 🤣

Welcome to Colorado @koulon!

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Front Range Golf Club is offering an early bird special. $150 to join and includes GHIN. Special is ending very soon. I think if you want to carry your GHIN elsewhere, the membership fee drops to $105, but you'll have to confirm (e-mail is on the "Join now" page). Here is the schedule so far...

Lone Tree – April 28
Indian Peaks – May 4
Highland Meadows – May 19 MAJOR
TBD – June 2
Red Hawk Ridge – June 9
Highlands Ranch – June 23
Heritage Eagle Bend – June 29 MAJOR
Ryder Cup at Fox Hollow – July 13 – 27 holes
Meadow Hills- July 20
City Park – July 28
Rain Dance – August 11 MAJOR
Legacy Ridge -August 18
Pole Creek – August 24-25
Mariana Butte – September 8 MAJOR
Plum Creek – September 15
TBD – September 22
Air Force Academy Blue – October 6

One of the TBD's is actually confirmed, but it's not posted yet. Pole Creek is a weekend "guys trip" where they have lots of degenerate gambling golf games.

Website in my signature below, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a private message.

Edited by pseudoswede
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 8:08 AM, thaar said:

As for me this year...

@thaar I’m pumped for Michigan! I looked around, and we get to play 6/7 amazing courses versus playing Pebble and Spanish Bay 1 time each. I’ll be there June 30th until July 7th. We’ll be playing . . . 

• The Bear Course (Acme, MI)

• The South Course (Arcadia, MI)

• The Bluffs Course (Arcadia, MI)

• Bay Harbor - Links/Quarry/Preserve (Bay Harbor, MI)

• Treetops - Masterpiece (Gaylord, MI)

From the looks of the courses it seems like I need to bring some sun screen and sandals. Gonna be a sandy one!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pseudoswede said:

Front Range Golf Club is offering an early bird special. $150 to join and includes GHIN. I think if you want to carry your GHIN elsewhere, the membership fee drops to $105, but you'll have to confirm (e-mail is on the "Join now" page). Here is the schedule so far...

Lone Tree – April 28
Indian Peaks – May 4
Highland Meadows – May 19 MAJOR
TBD – June 2
Red Hawk Ridge – June 9
Highlands Ranch – June 23
Heritage Eagle Bend – June 29 MAJOR
Ryder Cup at Fox Hollow – July 13 – 27 holes
Meadow Hills- July 20
City Park – July 28
Rain Dance – August 11 MAJOR
Legacy Ridge -August 18
Pole Creek – August 24-25
Mariana Butte – September 8 MAJOR
Plum Creek – September 15
TBD – September 22
Air Force Academy Blue – October 6

One of the TBD's is actually confirmed, but it's not posted yet. Pole Creek is a weekend "guys trip" where they have lots of degenerate gambling golf games.

Website in my signature below, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a private message.

@pseudoswede sounds really cool! I’ll check this out. I haven’t done much research on traveling leagues, any other details/guidance for checking them out? 

19 hours ago, koulon said:

My wife and I are avid golfers and we moved here a few months ago from the north east. Already enjoying the increased sunshine and open courses. Looking forward to seeing all that Colorado has to offer and golf all over this year.

The goal this year is to work on my game off the tee. I normally only use a 3 wood and want to get comfortable with the Driver.

We are going to Scottsdale in February. Not playing anywhere too notable but are looking forward to the warmer weather and golf

Welcome @koulon! Pretty amazing that you moved here and picked IMO one of the best clubs in the state (bang for buck.) Personally, I wouldn't want to join a swanky uptight club even if I was filthy rich anyway.

Let me know when/if you want to get out. I live on the course and I play a lot. I can't hold a torch to the retired guys group that plays 315 days a year, but I'm close! I walked Sunday, Tuesday, and today. Tomorrow I have 27 holes planned, but I'm going to ride this last stint.

Pretty sweet with the weather too! I'll get on the snowboard Sunday and Monday for some fresh tracks and it looks like we'll be back up into the mid-50's on Tuesday.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 9:19 PM, koulon said:

Welcome @koulon - curious where you are playing in Scottsdale? I am also headed there in a few weeks and don't have anything booked yet (I know, mistake) but we aren't real picky on this trip. There are so many courses there it is hard to know where to start other than some of the big names.

• Like 1

My apologies if this is the wrong spot and if I’m beating a dead horse, but I’m curious about recommended fitters in the area. PJ with D’lance and Mitch with CC came up in the 2021 thread I believe. Are there any other ones worth mentioning? I’m familiar with CC but is D’lance similar with numerous options (heads and shafts) to try? I’ve done True Spec and enjoyed it but they won’t be open when I’m in town. I visit family in the area about once a year and am looking to do a fitting when I visit in March this year. 

Any insight is much appreciated!

• Like 1

PJ at D'Lance retired last spring - I had a session with Levi down there around Christmas and he was very knowledgable and energetic/into it. If you want irons that aren't japanese forged he's not your guy though.

But yes - they have lots of options for heads and shafts - give them a call if you have anything specific in mind you want to try. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 9:53 PM, PreheatedStove said:

@pseudoswede sounds really cool! I’ll check this out. I haven’t done much research on traveling leagues, any other details/guidance for checking them out? 

I've been a member for over a decade now. Unlike the other national-based traveling leagues in town, this one is non-profit--nearly all money paid in membership fees and tournament fees go back to the members (overhead costs include Golf Genius subscription, website, and PayPal fees). I also like how it's 100% local; the season-ending trophies are awarded here, not at some national tournament elsewhere. The biggest complaint I've heard is that the prize money structure is top-heavy; one spot for low gross, but three places for low net in each flight (and low gross is not eligible for low net prizes). There are also a lot of twosome/foursome and other random contests where you can win some cash. I won enough to pay for almost 4 entry fees. Last season, most tournaments fielded 28-36 players, and registration was full weeks in advance.

Handicaps range from 0 to upper 20's. Age range is from late 20's to 70's. All of the guys I've played with have been great. The common denominator is that we all love to play golf.

33 minutes ago, Sleeky_D said:

Thanks for the above information! I don’t have a preference on brand but like to have a lot of options to demo. 
@ASak10 I’m looking to do irons and driver. Hoping to split into two days if possible. 

I like D'Lance and use them, but they will try and push you into more expensive heads/shafts etc. if you don't say anything. It's better with them to be up front on how much you are willing to spend and to have a general idea of a couple heads you want to try so they don't waste time trying things you aren't willing to spend the money for.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sleeky_D said:

Thanks for the above information! I don’t have a preference on brand but like to have a lot of options to demo. 
@ASak10 I’m looking to do irons and driver. Hoping to split into two days if possible. 

Ok, wasn't sure if you cared about trying to hit off grass to see turf interaction with irons vs just hitting on mats, but that'll be tough in March anyway (well, not tough, just a giant crapshoot with the weather). If you did want to see ball flight and possibly hit off grass (not sure if they allow in the winter), you could also try Gott Golf in GVR.  I haven't used them since they were sold but I've heard some good stuff about the fittings. They have a lot of brands but not all.  You do get to hit out into the range even if it's cold, they have an indoor bay with a garage door that opens up into the range. So that's another option for you to try if you care about that stuff.  

• Like 1

@ASak10 I didn’t mention it because I wasn’t sure it’d be possible, but I would really like to do the iron fitting on grass to test turf interaction. I saw Gott was recommended in the other threads as well with similar reviews as D’lance. I think that’d be selling point for sure if they’ll allowing it, though. 

2 hours ago, Sleeky_D said:

@ASak10 I didn’t mention it because I wasn’t sure it’d be possible, but I would really like to do the iron fitting on grass to test turf interaction. I saw Gott was recommended in the other threads as well with similar reviews as D’lance. I think that’d be selling point for sure if they’ll allowing it, though. 

If you want to hit off grass then you're going to have to wait till April

• Sad 1

Youngest wants to play HS golf.  Freshman.  I have enough clubs for her, but need a putter.  I am not sending a kid who has never swung before out with one of my Camerons, Bettis or TP Mills.  Anybody have a cheaper old putter that is competent?  Like better than Goodwill but not too nice.  Happy to pay full value.  Thought that I would ask and get one of you some money before I go to Play it Again or hit eBay.

My kid is currently gaming my dad's 35-year-old Ping Anser. 🙂

CPO has a decent selection of putters under $100 right now.

Edited by pseudoswede

7 hours ago, jda said:

Youngest wants to play HS golf.  Freshman.  I have enough clubs for her, but need a putter.  I am not sending a kid who has never swung before out with one of my Camerons, Bettis or TP Mills.  Anybody have a cheaper old putter that is competent?  Like better than Goodwill but not too nice.  Happy to pay full value.  Thought that I would ask and get one of you some money before I go to Play it Again or hit eBay.

I don't have a putter for you but curious where she will play? My daughter will play HS golf next year and I am excited!

16 hours ago, Hardrain said:

I don't have a putter for you but curious where she will play? My daughter will play HS golf next year and I am excited!

Mead.  HS golf is a trip.  5 or 6+ hour rounds if you go and watch.  Two of my older kids played too.  Start saving all of the balls that you find on the course - unless they are good they don't know a urethane ball from shineola.  They can lose a lot.  HS golf is a lot of fun, but it is not always the same game that you are used to.  There are kids who are good and also some that shoot double par... and still have a great time.

Edited by jda
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 9:37 AM, jda said:

My wife has her old Scotty that she's never going to use again. I'll ask her if she would be happy to give it up. It's pretty dinged up anyway as she didn't use to care about taking care of it before she actually became a golfer.