2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

PXG Black Ops Fairway Reviews

snagy2000

The weight configuration is exactly what you want...extreme heel/toe stability combined with rear weight stability. 

I may try to find time to go hit it. Lots of options to dial in flight and spin IF the ballspeed truly is there.

Super low CoG with this design.

Screenshot_20240117_073234_Chrome.jpg

Edited by getitdaily

I went for a Black Ops Fairway fitting yesterday.

My current fairway setup is TM Stealth2 3HL and 7 wood.  

I left the fitting with PXG BO 3w (15) and 7w (21) set to 20.  Same Ball Speed as the Stealth2, higher launch with slightly less spin.  

To be fair, I was never fit for the Stealth2s.  If I had been I am guessing they could have been dialed in for similar results.

That said, I liked the increased adjustability of the BO fairways, not only the sleeve (loft/lie) but also the weights.  I liked the heavy weight in the back for max forgiveness.

I will also note that on the BO 3w, when the fitter adjusted the 15* up 1* to try, the face still looked square.  It did not close the face as much as I have experienced with other FWs.  However, when we did the same with the 7w, it looked closed to me.  No Bueno, I had the fitter place it back.  

BL:  I didn't see any huge distance gains, only a few yards due to fitting to my swing.  The additional adjustability is nice, especially in the 7w.  

LB

Edited by lbhitter
  • Like 1

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
Callaway Ai Smoke 3HL, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT105

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 52,56,60
SC Super Select Squareback 2
Bridgestone Tour B RXS

These look great and I am keen to try these out. I might just order one on with my shaft option i have in my Gen 4 head and see how it goes. I guess I can always tinker with the weights and shaft to get it dialled in. I don't have a PXG fitting option here otherwise I would be in my car and on my way to one.  Looking forward to hearing how ppl get along with these on the course. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mine 4 wood just arrive and to be honest I was a little shocked. The size is well bigger than I had expected it was going to be. This could be just because I was playing the Gen 4 five wood and it is quite compact. I did think that it was always going to be a bit bigger than the 5 wood but just not as big as it was. Its not massive think TS2 size for comparison. Havent had a chance to hit it yet. i will give it a run on Wednesday and Saturday and see how it performs. I am hoping to find 10-15 more yards over my old 5 wood. I think this is getable considering the 5 wood is 18 degree loft and plays at 42.5 and the new one is 17 and playing at 43. Even if I end up getting similar yardages to my five I am hopeful that this one will be more forgiving and that in itself might be considered a win. 

Mine performs very similar to my gen 6. I think the driver was more of an improvement than the fairways but they are good. Look a bit longer front to back and a bit shallower face than G6. I definitely am sticking with the gen 6 5-wood as it appears a bit more compact, but may keep the BOPS 3-wood in.  I have been recommending folks who want to upgrade to G6 fairway with the BOPS driver. 

• Like 1

Ha, I went to the demo specifically to test the fairways. When I got there, he handed me the driver and I never stopped. I need to go back as I'm still without a 5 wood currently.

• Haha 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I have been trying to find the unicorn fairway wood for a while now. I ordered a Black Ops 4W at 17 degrees. I figure I can get it dialed in with all of the adjustment. I went with the stock Diamana S+ shaft, but may end up changing that to something else....but I figure the stock shaft is always worth a shot...right?

DR: Qi10 Core 10.5˚

FW: TSR2 4W 16.5˚

UW: OG Apex UW 19˚

HY: G425 22˚H

IRONS: NL 480DB 5-PW

WEDGES: NL 50SS, 54VS, 59FF

PUTTER: Spider Tour CB 38" or Lajosi Lawson Longneck Proto

BALL: Maxfli Tour X

22 hours ago, lefthack said:

Ha, I went to the demo specifically to test the fairways. When I got there, he handed me the driver and I never stopped. I need to go back as I'm still without a 5 wood currently.

Like the driver that much?

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Ventus TR Blue 6-S

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF3 CB

Just a follow up on the BO 3w and 7w.  I have been playing these for ~2 weeks now.  They offer good distance, adjustability, and forgiveness.  They have a nice deep face which I like.  Having an adjustable 7w is great.  For reference, I play the 15* 3w adjusted +1, and the 21* 7w adjusted -1.  

When I got them, I would have given them less than 50/50 of making it past the 30 day money back guarantee.  Every PXG club I have purchased in the past hasn't performed up to my expectations on the course.  These are different.  Believe they are keepers.  

Lots of great options these days.  Suggest you add these to the list....

Best of luck.

• Like 3

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
Callaway Ai Smoke 3HL, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT105

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 52,56,60
SC Super Select Squareback 2
Bridgestone Tour B RXS

A few rounds now done with the BO 4W and its a keeper. I easily got then 10 yards I was chasing over my Gen4 five wood. Even though there is a one degree of loft difference and half an inch longer shaft in the BO 4W the new 4W just flat out performs. It is more forgiving, launches higher and carries further. I have also used it the tee a few times and it has just been a fairway finder. 

I was actually shocked at the size of it as previous models from PXG were smaller than most other OEM brands. This BO 4W is basically the same size as the Titleist TSR2, it just looks a little longer front to back. I think if you put a ruler to them it woud be like maybe 1-2 mm difference. In a fairway wood thats nothing really. 

Overall PXG are building some quality products and there pricing is nothing to sneeze at. I would suggest that if anyone is looking at getting some new fairway woods then PXG should be on there radar. The flexibility and weighting in these gives options to fit them for anyone. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JB lefty said:

A few rounds now done with the BO 4W and its a keeper. I easily got then 10 yards I was chasing over my Gen4 five wood. Even though there is a one degree of loft difference and half an inch longer shaft in the BO 4W the new 4W just flat out performs. It is more forgiving, launches higher and carries further. I have also used it the tee a few times and it has just been a fairway finder. 

I was actually shocked at the size of it as previous models from PXG were smaller than most other OEM brands. This BO 4W is basically the same size as the Titleist TSR2, it just looks a little longer front to back. I think if you put a ruler to them it woud be like maybe 1-2 mm difference. In a fairway wood thats nothing really. 

Overall PXG are building some quality products and there pricing is nothing to sneeze at. I would suggest that if anyone is looking at getting some new fairway woods then PXG should be on there radar. The flexibility and weighting in these gives options to fit them for anyone. 

What shaft area you using. What Is your swing speed? Did you try different shafts and if so, what was the difference you saw in them? Already own the driver and thinking about pulling the trigger on the 4 wood. I’m playing the tensei white in the driver. Can’t decide between the tensei white, blue or something else. Thanks in advance

The BO driver is much better than I expected, but the fairway wood could not beat my stealth 2+ during my fitting no matter what he tried. The Taylormade fitter next door was just grinning from ear to ear as he watched us. The stealth 2+ may be staying in the bag unless something is just way better this year.

I also really enjoyed the BO hybrid, I just wish they had more shaft selections during the fitting. The adjustability on it made for a nice high missle that never went left. I may be ordering this, but I still need to test some of the usual suspects for anti left hybrids. 

• Like 2

BO’s 3 wood (set to 16°) is as good as it gets for me. I’ve tried them all.. TSR2 was the closest.  I don’t care for shallow faced fairway woods so this spot has been a challenge. Unfortunately I was suckered into an upgraded shaft but it does work and survived the 30 day guarantee by a mile. Lots of good stuff out, 3/4 wood is a hard spot for most I’d think. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Aucaveman said:

What shaft area you using. What Is your swing speed? Did you try different shafts and if so, what was the difference you saw in them? Already own the driver and thinking about pulling the trigger on the 4 wood. I’m playing the tensei white in the driver. Can’t decide between the tensei white, blue or something else. Thanks in advance

My driver SS is 110-115 with 110 being my normal speed but I can crank it up to 115.  I am using the HZRDS Black Gen 4 shaft at 6.5 flex and 70 grams weight bracket. Its a decent shaft and holds up well. I am pretty happy with it thus far. But bear in mind I have only had 3 rounds and two SIM session so far. 

Edited by JB lefty

11 hours ago, JB lefty said:

My driver SS is 110-115 with 110 being my normal speed but I can crank it up to 115.  I am using the HZRDS Black Gen 4 shaft at 6.5 flex and 70 grams weight bracket. Its a decent shaft and holds up well. I am pretty happy with it thus far. But bear in mind I have only had 3 rounds and two SIM session so far. 

you’re a little faster than me. I average 106-108 on a typical day. Right now I think I’m leaning toward the blue. I think I’d rather have height and carry, over maximum distance. I currently play the gen4 3 wood and hit it well but I hit it lowish and it runs. That’s also why I was considering the 4 wood. 

On 2/10/2024 at 2:55 AM, Aucaveman said:

you’re a little faster than me. I average 106-108 on a typical day. Right now I think I’m leaning toward the blue. I think I’d rather have height and carry, over maximum distance. I currently play the gen4 3 wood and hit it well but I hit it lowish and it runs. That’s also why I was considering the 4 wood. 

You could always try using the adjustment sleeve and loft up 1.5 degree's and see how that goes.  I will also say the BO fairway wood for me does launch a little higher than my Gen4 so just by changing the models you may get more launch and less roll out.  Loft up your current gen4 and see what happens, you might just find that goldilocks solution and save yourself a few bucks. 

5 hours ago, JB lefty said:

You could always try using the adjustment sleeve and loft up 1.5 degree's and see how that goes.  I will also say the BO fairway wood for me does launch a little higher than my Gen4 so just by changing the models you may get more launch and less roll out.  Loft up your current gen4 and see what happens, you might just find that goldilocks solution and save yourself a few bucks. 

Saving a few bucks isn’t happening. All though I played OK Friday, I came home and stewed about my round and ended up ordering the 4 wood and a 5 hybrid. Oh well, it is what it is. 

• Like 2

@belh22 Here is my Black Ops 4 Wood at address. I’ll be honest, she didn’t make the bag over my DarkSpeed X. But still a very nice performing fairway wood. I just felt like the DarkSpeed suited my eye a little more. The Black Ops was just as long, I just wasn’t as confident standing over it.

IMG_3264.jpeg

IMG_3268.jpeg

Edited by zlawson36
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, zlawson36 said:

@belh22 Here is my Black Ops 4 Wood at address. I’ll be honest, she didn’t make the bag over my DarkSpeed X. But still a very nice performing fairway wood. I just felt like the DarkSpeed suited my eye a little more. The Black Ops was just as long, I just wasn’t as confident standing over it.

IMG_3264.jpeg

IMG_3268.jpeg

Appreciate the address pics. I am a big fan of the shape and size. My all timer 3 wood was the Sim Max. This BO reminds me of that head. 

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Ventus TR Blue 6-S

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF3 CB

1 hour ago, belh22 said:

hey thanks.  did you go with the darkspeed x 4 wood as well?

I went with the 3W but lofted it up to 16 

43 minutes ago, zlawson36 said:

I went with the 3W but lofted it up to 16 

I did the same thing with mine. The Black Ops driver and fairway are honestly the best that PXG has made and I have hit most of them. The 3w is just versatile for me, I can hit it high off the deck and then I can tee it up and hit long, towering shots off the tee. When I tee it up the added loft doesn't create too much spin and a shot that goes straight in the air and then fall short. My issue has been finding a 3w that works well for one of those, but not both. I have found a couple 3w over the years that do both, but not many. It is also a very forgiving head, giving you good ball speed and tight dispersion when you don't hit it perfect. I noticed that it produced straighter shots with much less curve to them than my Paradym TD 3w from last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube