2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Golf Mechanix vs Mitchell why the massive cost difference?

grantc79

I wanna do a setup at my house and considering these two brands.

Why wouldn't someone picking up a Mono-bloc Lie and Loft Bending gauge for 354 dollars? Trying to see the value in a Mitchell or True Blue but I just don't see how they could be 1200-2200 better. 

I can literally buy an entire shop setup for much less than the cost of a Mitchell bending machine. Watched some building videos and other things and many of those people seem to use Golfmechanix stuff. 

The only thing I'd need aside from this is a shaft cutting wedge grinding ferrule prepping machine which wouldn't be more than 200 bucks. Unless I get a mitchell then its 600. 

Am I missing something?

High Tensile Forged Bronze Bending Bar Yes   $76.00 $76.00
060110 Shaft and Hosel Gauge Set Yes   $41.00 $41.00
210116 Heavy Duty Compact Shaft Extractor Yes   $210.75 $210.75
020310 Pro-Shop Swing Weight Scale Yes   $122.00 $122.00
150220 Mono-bloc Lie and Loft Bending gauge Yes   $354.75 $354.75
090700 Shaft Length tipping ruler Yes   $49.75 $49.75

Subtotal: US$854.25

Edited by grantc79

WITB: 

Aerojet LS 10.5 Ventus 7S

Aerojet 7 wood Ventus 7S

Mizuno Fli Hi 2 iron

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

• grantc79 changed the title to Golf Mechanix vs Mitchell why the massive cost difference?

I'd rather get the Mono-Bloc iron vice, and stand alone spec gauge.  I don't trust the measuring feature on that unit you linked.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

23 minutes ago, Nessism said:

I'd rather get the Mono-Bloc iron vice, and stand alone spec gauge.  I don't trust the measuring feature on that unit you linked.

what stand alone spec gauge

WITB: 

Aerojet LS 10.5 Ventus 7S

Aerojet 7 wood Ventus 7S

Mizuno Fli Hi 2 iron

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Most loft/lie machines have a mechanical plate/guide to square the grooves of the iron head to the machine to ensure the club is mounted correctly so you can get repeatable measurements. It's a very important feature IMO, it doesn't take much to be off 1-2 degrees. Not sure how the mono-bloc does this, the photo doesn't show a front view showing the club face.

54 minutes ago, grantc79 said:

I wanna do a setup at my house and considering these two brands.

Why wouldn't someone picking up a Mono-bloc Lie and Loft Bending gauge for 354 dollars? Trying to see the value in a Mitchell or True Blue but I just don't see how they could be 1200-2200 better. 

I can literally buy an entire shop setup for much less than the cost of a Mitchell bending machine. Watched some building videos and other things and many of those people seem to use Golfmechanix stuff. 

The only thing I'd need aside from this is a shaft cutting wedge grinding ferrule prepping machine which wouldn't be more than 200 bucks. Unless I get a mitchell then its 600. 

Am I missing something?

High Tensile Forged Bronze Bending Bar Yes   $76.00 $76.00
060110 Shaft and Hosel Gauge Set Yes   $41.00 $41.00
210116 Heavy Duty Compact Shaft Extractor Yes   $210.75 $210.75
020310 Pro-Shop Swing Weight Scale Yes   $122.00 $122.00
150220 Mono-bloc Lie and Loft Bending gauge Yes   $354.75 $354.75
090700 Shaft Length tipping ruler Yes   $49.75 $49.75

Subtotal: US$854.25

Double your budget for a bending bar. A cheap one will ding up your irons and you'll regret using it.

• Like 3

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

I've used Mitchell machines for years.  Great design and built like a tank.  The True Blue and higher end Golf Mechanix machines are nice as well.  There are significant differences between those machines and the mono-block or other similar lower cost hobbyist machines.  The relative value depends on your needs.  The more expensive machines are built to last and handle a lot of use.  That's typically not a big issue for a home/hobbyist.  The clamping mechanism will me more secure and less likely to mar the clubhead.  The more expensive machines have larger bases for more stability which becomes important when you have to bend heads that require some real force.  It's much easier to fixture the head with the score lines parallel in the higher end machines, which is necessary for accurate loft lie readings and to verify that you've actually altered the loft or lie and haven't just moved the head in the fixture.    You can make the monoblock type machines work but ease of use, accuracy, durability and protection of the clubhead is going to be lacking compared to the higher end machines.  If you're using the machine sparingly, the lower cost may  make sense though.  

It's like buying tools in general.  You can drill a hole in concrete with a $150 Ryobi big box special hammer drill and you can drill a hole with a $1,000 Bosch professional. If you're drilling a few holes a few times a year, there not a lot of value in buying the Bosch.  On the other hand, if you're using the hammer drill often you'll likely regret going with the cheaper Ryobi pretty quick.

• Like 2

Ping 10k 9* Tensei AV White 65s

Ping G425 Lst 3w Rogue White 80s

Ping G425 7w Rogue White 80s

Ping i525 4i Amt White S3

Ping Blueprint S 5-P DG S3

TM MG4 50,54,58 DG S3

Ping Anser 2D

Golf Mechanix products are manufactured from Taiwan while Mitchell products are manufactured from Michigan, namely Albion MI. I know from first hand experience because I was inside their Albion manufacturing plant.

US made products will always cost more since the people making them are earning actual living wages.

Edited by golferdude54
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Reviving this thread as to not create a new one since Im in a similar situation.

As much as I would like to I know I am unable to purchase a Mitchell or higher end Golf Mechanix unit.  The ones Ive been looking at are either the Golf Mechanix Monobloc (without gauge),  Golfworks Value line, or possibly the Golfworks Economy which is  the Monobloc with gauge.  

I know these are basically the least expensive options but I am sure that they are useful and if Im super careful and upgrade the bending bar they should work ok.   Which of this gives me the best chance to bend my clubs without denting or marring the clubs?  Just trying to weight the pros/cons of each.

In order to measure the clubs Im not sure what the best "cost effective" options are for that.  I could save up and get a nice loft lie gauge but just looking for recommendations or options on how I can tackle this with the somewhat limited budget I am setting for myself for both the bending and the measuring of those bends. 

7 hours ago, wannabettz said:

Reviving this thread as to not create a new one since Im in a similar situation.

As much as I would like to I know I am unable to purchase a Mitchell or higher end Golf Mechanix unit.  The ones Ive been looking at are either the Golf Mechanix Monobloc (without gauge),  Golfworks Value line, or possibly the Golfworks Economy which is  the Monobloc with gauge.  

I know these are basically the least expensive options but I am sure that they are useful and if Im super careful and upgrade the bending bar they should work ok.   Which of this gives me the best chance to bend my clubs without denting or marring the clubs?  Just trying to weight the pros/cons of each.

In order to measure the clubs Im not sure what the best "cost effective" options are for that.  I could save up and get a nice loft lie gauge but just looking for recommendations or options on how I can tackle this with the somewhat limited budget I am setting for myself for both the bending and the measuring of those bends. 

Nothing wrong with buying a modest bending machine.....but, buy the best measuring gauge you can afford to go with it.  Doesn't do any good to bend your clubs if you cannot attest to the accuracy.  I have a Mitchell Steelclub Angle machine and still use a measuring gauge to check my work.  

The brass bending bar is a must, especially for soft forgings like Mizuno or Srixon.  Another inexpensive trick to eliminate any club marring is just use a small piece of cardboard (top clamp, hosel).  Works very well.

I would also ensure you have a way to calibrate your bending machine.  One simple way is to have a spare golf club iron with known, accurately measured specs.  

There is some excellent advice in this thread.

Best of luck

LB

TM Qi10 Max - Diamana T60
Callaway Ai Smoke 3HL, 7W - GD Tour AD VR-7

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Titleist T200 6-PW - MMT105

Titleist T150 GW - MMT105

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 52,56,60
SC Super Select Squareback 2
Bridgestone Tour B RXS

On 2/4/2024 at 8:08 AM, golferdude54 said:

Golf Mechanix products are manufactured from Taiwan while Mitchell products are manufactured from Michigan, namely Albion MI. I know from first hand experience because I was inside their Albion manufacturing plant.

US made products will always cost more since the people making them are earning actual living wages.

Taiwan is actually high cost. Wages  maybe comparable to the US  certainly  much higher than Thailand .A lot of folk confuse Thailand with Taiwan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lbhitter said:

Nothing wrong with buying a modest bending machine.....but, buy the best measuring gauge you can afford to go with it.  Doesn't do any good to bend your clubs if you cannot attest to the accuracy.  I have a Mitchell Steelclub Angle machine and still use a measuring gauge to check my work.  

The brass bending bar is a must, especially for soft forgings like Mizuno or Srixon.  Another inexpensive trick to eliminate any club marring is just use a small piece of cardboard (top clamp, hosel).  Works very well.

I would also ensure you have a way to calibrate your bending machine.  One simple way is to have a spare golf club iron with known, accurately measured specs.  

There is some excellent advice in this thread.

Best of luck

LB

I need to choose between the GM Monobloc  or the GW Value Line. 

I know they are similar but is one preferable over the other?

Then theres the issue of measuring.  My question is which of these can I use and still be able to get accurate measurements.  Can I get away with the Apprentice gauge or even the Value line gauge?   Just trying to find the best way to tackle this and why.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-golf-club-gauge/p/gw1040/

https://www.golfworks.com/golf-mechanix-apprentice-spec-gauge/p/gm1007/

https://www.golfworks.com/value-line-golf-club-measuring-gauge/p/hgcg/

1 hour ago, wannabettz said:

I need to choose between the GM Monobloc  or the GW Value Line. 

I know they are similar but is one preferable over the other?

Then theres the issue of measuring.  My question is which of these can I use and still be able to get accurate measurements.  Can I get away with the Apprentice gauge or even the Value line gauge?   Just trying to find the best way to tackle this and why.

The Apprentice Gauge would be my bet for best value and performance.

• Like 1

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Bridgestone Tour B RXS

The value line, it  you need 2 wrenches to tighten/loosen the bolt/nut at the bottom to adjust the vertical arm when changing position for measuring lie.  That would seem to be a PITA. 

The apprentice gauge has a knob for this purpose, much easier, can’t see it in the picture though.  

I started with the GolfWorks Value Line bending machine and it's a real pain to use IMO, constantly bending, remove and measure, bend again, remove and measure, on and on. Very difficult to know if you're bending it enough or too much without a built-in gauge, a 1-2 degree bend is not much at all. If you can afford it get one with a gauge that has a solid and accurate way to square the club to the machine. I'm not one that believes you need to have a separate measuring gauge to get accurate results.

1 hour ago, AzRoger said:

I started with the GolfWorks Value Line bending machine and it's a real pain to use IMO, constantly bending, remove and measure, bend again, remove and measure, on and on. Very difficult to know if you're bending it enough or too much without a built-in gauge, a 1-2 degree bend is not much at all. If you can afford it get one with a gauge that has a solid and accurate way to square the club to the machine. I'm not one that believes you need to have a separate measuring gauge to get accurate results.

So you think something like this could fit the bill?  Ive heard that the measuring portion is not always that accurate on these, can anyone confirm this?  The next model up is almost double the price and not an option for me right now.

https://www.golfworks.com/economy-iron-bending-machine/p/gw0053/

26 minutes ago, wannabettz said:

So you think something like this could fit the bill?  Ive heard that the measuring portion is not always that accurate on these, can anyone confirm this?  The next model up is almost double the price and not an option for me right now.

https://www.golfworks.com/economy-iron-bending-machine/p/gw0053/

It would be a better choice, I'm not familiar with it and can't tell from the photo how they do it but it should have a way of squaring up the club when clamping it in. Some bending machines use a metal plate that's set parallel to the iron grooves so you know the club is installed correctly and will get repeatable readings.

On 3/2/2024 at 12:19 PM, AzRoger said:

It would be a better choice, I'm not familiar with it and can't tell from the photo how they do it but it should have a way of squaring up the club when clamping it in. Some bending machines use a metal plate that's set parallel to the iron grooves so you know the club is installed correctly and will get repeatable readings.

@lbhitter, @Nessism

Ive been searching around and was able to find a bunch of different bending machines that I can get my hands on for pretty good prices relative to what they originally cost. 

Of these listed are any "easier" to use than others?  

I can get a pretty good deal on each of them so Im curious what people who have used multiple have to say.  

Yes I know some of these I can grow into and they're all reputable so I would always have the option to sell and it wouldn't be too difficult. 

Golfsmith Professional which is basically same as Golf Mechanix Clubmakers

Mitchell Tour Gauge

Scotland Master

Edited by wannabettz

On 3/2/2024 at 8:33 AM, wannabettz said:

I've got the value line.  It's fine for loft and face angle but horrible for lie angle.

I personally wouldn't go with the apprentice either.   Accurate lie angle measurements requires the need for precise and small adjustments of the club vertically in the device.  The clamping system used by both the value line and apprentice is really not very good at that.  The least expensive I'd go with is the golfworks golf club gauge - the first link.

On 3/2/2024 at 10:34 AM, st1800e said:

The value line, it  you need 2 wrenches to tighten/loosen the bolt/nut at the bottom to adjust the vertical arm when changing position for measuring lie.  That would seem to be a PITA.

That's not the problem.  I can't get the bolt tight enough on mine to get the arm to stop unintentional movement of the lie angle measurement arm.  You actually have to manually hold the arm in place when getting a measurement.

Edited by Stuart_G

8 hours ago, wannabettz said:

@lbhitter, @Nessism

Ive been searching around and was able to find a bunch of different bending machines that I can get my hands on for pretty good prices relative to what they originally cost. 

Of these listed are any "easier" to use than others?  

I can get a pretty good deal on each of them so Im curious what people who have used multiple have to say.  

Yes I know some of these I can grow into and they're all reputable so I would always have the option to sell and it wouldn't be too difficult. 

Golfsmith Professional which is basically same as Golf Mechanix Clubmakers

Mitchell Tour Gauge

Scotland Master

- The Golfsmith Professional looks like a good value for a hobbyist set up, as does the Golf Mechanix Clubmakers.

- I have no experience with Scotland.

- I cannot say enough good things about MItchell equipment, but it is expensive. I bought my Mitchell SteelClub Angle machine in 1998, and it is still going strong.  Mitchell services it every so often for about $200.   Also, I would call Mitchell and see if they have any trade ins.  They sell refurbished trade ins for discount.  

Best of luck

LB

Titleist T350 5 - MMT95

Bridgestone Tour B RXS

I love how there is a dry spell for a while then they all start to pop up at once giving me multiple to choose from and in turn making my decision that much more difficult.

The Golfsmith and Mitchell both come with everything.  Machine, stand, bar.  Both are priced between 650-850

The Scotland is a bit cheaper but I will need to mount to my bench and get myself a bar but still a great deal.  I don't hear a ton of feedback on the old Scotland units but I am curious what people have to say about those in comparison.

2 hours ago, wannabettz said:

I love how there is a dry spell for a while then they all start to pop up at once giving me multiple to choose from and in turn making my decision that much more difficult.

The Golfsmith and Mitchell both come with everything.  Machine, stand, bar.  Both are priced between 650-850

The Scotland is a bit cheaper but I will need to mount to my bench and get myself a bar but still a great deal.  I don't hear a ton of feedback on the old Scotland units but I am curious what people have to say about those in comparison.

I'd 100% go with the Mitchell.  Easily the best of the choices, in my opinion.  Also, if you ever want to get rid of it, you'll probably get all your money back and maybe more. The Scotland machine will get the job done but amongst other things, it's not as easy to use as the Mitchell, on the loft measurement and adjustment in particular.  

• Thanks 1

Ping 10k 9* Tensei AV White 65s

Ping G425 Lst 3w Rogue White 80s

Ping G425 7w Rogue White 80s

Ping i525 4i Amt White S3

Ping Blueprint S 5-P DG S3

TM MG4 50,54,58 DG S3

Ping Anser 2D

One feature that the Golfsmith and Golf Mechanic you listed doesn't have, and maybe the other two have, is to be able to set the loft of the machine to the club being bent, that way you're always bending on the same plane. With the other machines the loft of the machine is fixed and it can get a bit tricky when adjusting the lie of higher lofted clubs like wedges to make sure your bending on the correct plane. If you're not careful you could also be making changes to the loft even if you're only trying to adjust the lie. It's not a deal breaker, I don't have it on mine, but a feature often found on the more expensive bending machines.

I’ve had and used almost all of them in my shops when I was in the golf business. By far the best one I ever used was the True Blue by MR3.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

The MOST important difference between some lesser expensive models and the Mitchell or True Blue is the quality and durability.  If you are a volume shop and you want the device to last 10-20 years without issues, you want to spend the money on a high quality device.  Doing as a hobby or a few clubs here and there, you don't need a Mitchell or True Blue.  All you need is something that will bend a few clubs and give you somewhat accurate measurements.   

Lots of homemade devices out there and all they need to do is allow you to bend a club.  You can measure it with a separate instrument for accuracy.

Ping G400 Max 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (still the GOAT)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 54°, SM2 58° Recoil 660 F3
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"  (Back in)

Ping Redwood Anser 34.75" (resting) 
MCC Align Midsize