2024 Chrome Tour v. 2024 TP5x v. 2023 Pro V1 ball flight

addage

Has anyone done any testing of these three balls head to head? I demo’d the Tour on course and to my eye, it’s flying out of a higher window on all shots than Pro V1, which is my gamer. Curious to hear anyone else’s experience. My club hasn’t received the TP5x’s yet, but I’m going to try all 3 balls on Foresight once they come in. Thanks.

I've done a bunch of testing with these three balls.

From high to low off driver and irons

TP5X -  highest of the three by a good bit both irons and woods

Chrome Tour -  mid off irons, mid/high off driver

ProV - lower/mid irons, mid driver

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

18 minutes ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Where does CTX slot in? Waffling between ProV1, CT/CTX, and BX myself right now. Need to make a decision and roll with it.

Driver - AI Smoke Triple Diamond, Tensei 1k Blue 6tx

3 Wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max, Tensei AV Blue 75x

2 Iron - Titleist U505, Graphite Design AD-DI 8x

4-PW - T150, Project X 6.5

50 Degree - SM10 50.12F, Project X 6.5

54 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, mid bounce, Project X wedge 6.5

58 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, low bounce, TI s400

Putter - Custom shop 2022 Phantom 5.5

2023 Pro V1

7 minutes ago, BigtimeHC said:

Where does CTX slot in? Waffling between ProV1, CT/CTX, and BX myself right now. Need to make a decision and roll with it.

I wish the new BX would have been longer.  CTX slots between TP5X and CT for me.  Love the low spin driver game and green side spin CTX produces.  To be fair, in my testing with CT/CTX not a huge difference in ball flights.  But, its been more of a spin situation.

Edited by Avidswampthing66

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

9 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I wish the new BX would have been longer.  CTX slots between TP5X and CT for me.  Love the low spin driver game and green side spin CTX produces.  To be fair, in my testing with CT/CTX not a huge difference in ball flights.  But, its been more of a spin situation.

Where is the relative spin middle of bag on ctx?  

10 minutes ago, Morry said:

Where is the relative spin middle of bag on ctx?  

Pro Vix territory.  Higher end with irons, lower with driver.  Ball flight was not as high with CTX as V1X (for me).  One thing with CTX it has a dense feeling crack to it.  Not crispy like Tp5X or BX

• Thanks 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

I've now played 2.5 rounds with the CT and really like it. To my eye, it definitely flies higher off the driver and 3W and seems to carry a bit farther than Pro V1. Irons also fly higher but not as much as with woods, and distance off irons is the same. Plenty of spin around the greens, but they don't overspin with full wedges/short irons. I need to do more testing, but this is the first ball I've played in a long time that makes me even consider replacing my gamer Pro V1.

Edited by addage
  • Like 1

I got a sleeve of CTX, and, for the most part, I like them. Green-side spin seems decent. The feel off the putter is fine (actually prefer Maxfli Tour X off the putter, but the two are close enough). I am trying to choose a ball that will be best in the wind for a trip across the pond. I launch my irons on the higher side and I am kind of medium, or, if anything low on spin with my irons, although I have no trouble stopping a ball on a green. I am also a high launch low spin driver of the ball. I don't want to give up any green side spin, if possible. Pro V1x is perfect in that department for me, but I typically see some penalty in windy conditions with that ball.

Is Chrome Tour likely to be the holy grail? I've seen user reviews saying the CT spins more than CTX (iron shots and around the green), despite what the box says. Are they both comparable in the wind? How do they iron peak heights compare? That is usually where I get penalized on distance in the wind.

In summary, my desires are medium firmness off of a milled non-insert putter (no butter balls), high green side spin, and good wind penetration with irons and driver. 

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 58/6 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Eleven Tour Lined - '24 BX

1 hour ago, wolverine_man said:

I got a sleeve of CTX, and, for the most part, I like them. Green-side spin seems decent. The feel off the putter is fine (actually prefer Maxfli Tour X off the putter, but the two are close enough). I am trying to choose a ball that will be best in the wind for a trip across the pond. I launch my irons on the higher side and I am kind of medium, or, if anything low on spin with my irons, although I have no trouble stopping a ball on a green. I am also a high launch low spin driver of the ball. I don't want to give up any green side spin, if possible. Pro V1x is perfect in that department for me, but I typically see some penalty in windy conditions with that ball.

Is Chrome Tour likely to be the holy grail? I've seen user reviews saying the CT spins more than CTX (iron shots and around the green), despite what the box says. Are they both comparable in the wind? How do they iron peak heights compare? That is usually where I get penalized on distance in the wind.

In summary, my desires are medium firmness off of a milled non-insert putter (no butter balls), high green side spin, and good wind penetration with irons and driver. 

CT should be in the convo bc of its low spin qualities.  I saw 1000 rpms less spin off lower irons with CT while testing against CTX.  I saw 300 rpms less spin with mid irons.  I saw slightly lower spin with CTX on driver.  I like that CTX has a lower traj with irons which makes it a good wind ball.  The best wind ball I've ever played is BX.  Sucker handles it!  I'm jealous of your trip, I'm sure it'll be killer.

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Chrome Tour 

My game is very similar to yours. The best wind ball I’ve ever played until last week was the Bridgestone ‘22 Tour BX. It just simply holds its line in crosswind, doesn’t balloon into wind, and doesn’t get knocked down with the wind. However, this week I’ve tested the new CTX and ‘24 Tour BX vs my old gamer ‘22 BX. I really like both of the new balls with the ‘24 BX having a higher peak height in my long game, but the CTX being better off my irons, wedges, and around the green. I would recommend you try these two new balls as your performance preferences are very similar to mine. Btw, where you playing on your trip?

Edited by hammergolf
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 minute ago, hammergolf said:

My game is very similar to yours. The best wind ball I’ve ever played until last week was the Bridgestone ‘22 Tour BX. It just simply holds its line in crosswind, doesn’t balloon into wind, and doesn’t get knocked down with the wind. However, this week I’ve tested the new CTX and ‘24 Tour BX vs my old gamer ‘22 BX. I really like both of the new balls with the ‘24 BX having a higher peak height in my long game, but the CTX being better off my irons, wedges, and around the green. I would recommend you try these two new balls as your performance preferences are very similar to mine. Btw, where you playing on your trip?

Thank you for the insight. I haven't played Bridgestone in a couple years, when I tried the BXS. I don't generate a ton of club head speed, if it matters. 98-100 mph driver, 82ish 7 iron. I have studied the MGS golf ball tableau charts enough to go blind. lol 

We are playing: 

Royal Troon- Old

Prestwick

Carnoustie - Championship 

Old Course 

Jubilee Course 

Likely a short trip to Paris afterwards. 

Just now, wolverine_man said:

Thank you for the insight. I haven't played Bridgestone in a couple years, when I tried the BXS. I don't generate a ton of club head speed, if it matters. 98-100 mph driver, 82ish 7 iron. I have studied the MGS golf ball tableau charts enough to go blind. lol 

We are playing: 

Royal Troon- Old

Prestwick

Carnoustie - Championship 

Old Course 

Jubilee Course 

Likely a short trip to Paris afterwards. 

Wow, your clubhead speed is almost identical to mine. You’ll like both the ‘24 BX and CTX. Great trip! You’re playing some incredible courses. Enjoy your trip!

Just now, hammergolf said:

Wow, your clubhead speed is almost identical to mine. You’ll like both the ‘24 BX and CTX. Great trip! You’re playing some incredible courses. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks. That is interesting on swing speed being similar. I have also been meaning to try the Ventus TR that you seem to absolutely love, judging by your sig. Not to get off topic. 

• Like 1

I haven’t done the wind test or playing around the green. The bX, ctx and ct all play pretty comparable for me. 

it will likely be which one feels the best on the putter and most reliable as far as gapping. 

I know swing makes a difference but ctx were all within 10 yard on irons where I had a few 15-20 yard fliers with the bx and ct even though swing speed, smash, etc were all the same or very similar. 

have you noticed a tighter radius with one ball or another?

Thanks. That is interesting on swing speed being similar. I have also been meaning to try the Ventus TR that you seem to absolutely love, judging by your sig. Not to get off topic. 

It’s been a very good shaft for me. Highly recommend.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sheppick.dan said:

I haven’t done the wind test or playing around the green. The bX, ctx and ct all play pretty comparable for me. 

it will likely be which one feels the best on the putter and most reliable as far as gapping. 

I know swing makes a difference but ctx were all within 10 yard on irons where I had a few 15-20 yard fliers with the bx and ct even though swing speed, smash, etc were all the same or very similar. 

have you noticed a tighter radius with one ball or another?

I may be able to consider the CT if it feels firmer on the putter than a V1, which, to me, now feels softer than I would like. As a result, it can mess with my distance control or concept thereof.  There was a time when I loved the V1, though. Shot a great round at Whistling Straits with it. 

I may be able to consider the CT if it feels firmer on the putter than a V1, which, to me, now feels softer than I would like. As a result, it can mess with my distance control or concept thereof.  There was a time when I loved the V1, though. Shot a great round at Whistling Straits with it. 

If I wasn't playing Erin Hills the day after Whistling Straits my entire bag would have ended up in the lake!!!

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, sheppick.dan said:

If I wasn't playing Erin Hills the day after Whistling Straits my entire bag would have ended up in the lake!!!

Erin kicked my a**. I played it hours after the Mid Amateur finished. Pins tucked into impossible spots. Greens like glass. I went par, par, which got my hopes up but the rest was a bit of a roller coaster. I watched a guy take like 3 or 4 attempts to pitch up on top of an elevated green after missing it long. I want another crack. Some day. 

• Like 1

Did some putting on my Perfect Practice mat. The CTX is actually a tad softer than I remembered. I would say softness off the putter would go from from firmest to softest, Maxfli Tour X > Pro V1x > then CTX.  But CTX is by no means super soft or too soft. I still need to grab a sleeve of CT. 

It would seem that my ideal ball will be found in either CTX, CT, or maybe the old standby of V1x, if I can work on flighting my shots. After testing CT off the putter, I need to grab all three (and maybe a BX, although I don't need more launch or peak height) and wait for a windy day to play a round. In the meantime, I appreciate everyone's feedback. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 2:45 AM, Avidswampthing66 said:

I had the chance to play all 3 over 2 rounds last week and I would agree 100%.

Could happily used any of these with a slight leaning to CT as its my preferred trajectory.

The TP5X was a good ball and the new one feels like a tangible improvement. It was fun to play.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2024 at 2:44 PM, Avidswampthing66 said:

CT should be in the convo bc of its low spin qualities.  I saw 1000 rpms less spin off lower irons with CT while testing against CTX.  I saw 300 rpms less spin with mid irons.  I saw slightly lower spin with CTX on driver.  I like that CTX has a lower traj with irons which makes it a good wind ball.  The best wind ball I've ever played is BX.  Sucker handles it!  I'm jealous of your trip, I'm sure it'll be killer.

Just want to agree with the BX. On a windy day, that's an easy choice. Otherwise, I'm tracking with everything you're saying on these. Long time BX user, but this year is going to be a transition to CT. Not sure if I'll keep some BX for wind or not, but right now I'm going to make the switch. It helps that Chrome Tours are available and Bridgestone are consistently a pain in the backside to get here in NZ. The cost goes way up when you have to ship them from the States. Callaway has been committed to our market, and these really are good.

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Played a windy round today with the CTX. I really like that ball and I think that is what I will be using this season. I don't care for the feel of the CT off the driver; just very soft feeling. CTX does very nicely in the wind, and I like the green side spin and putter feel. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys. I gamed the 2023 ProV1 last year and was excited at the prospects of the 2024 TP5x. I found that the TP5x is launching slightly too high for my liking. I think the ball is much improved over the prior generation TP5x, but I like the launch of the ProV1 too much to switch. I didn't notice big distance or ball speed gains from the TP5x like Rory and some others have seen. To be fair, I am also not striking the ball very well in general the past month or so. Maybe I will revisit the TP5x later in the year. I have heard good things about the new Callaway offerings but have not tested.

Well, I am tormenting myself, yet again. I played three balls yesterday. ProV1, CT and CTX.  For whatever reason, probably just coincidence, my tee shots sliced with CT first two times I used it. Not with the other balls. Then, on a par 5 I hit all three balls and from that point forward, I was hitting straight drives with CT. CT and CTX seem equally long for me off the driver. On one hole noticed that I missed it a little with the CTX, but other than being a little left, it went the same distance as the CT. CTX definitely has more spin chipping than CT. I need to lad the ball a lot closer to the hole for that reason. I can’t decide if this is good or bad, especially for the links course I’ll be playing soon. 

ProV1 seemed to hold up distance wise on the drives. I was still able to launch over the trees to cut off a dog leg. On the last hole, I hit a couple PWs into a front pin, while neither shot got to the pin, the Pro V1 was closer as the CTX, spun back off the green. The V1 took a small hop forward. Both the CT and CTX really looked beat up compared to the V1.  It’s hard to decide if I can accept that as the price of admission into the CT family. Hmmm, decisions…. 

• 4 weeks later...

TM balls are clearly higher, even a 17 handicap like me can feel it

AI Smoke Max 10.5* w/ Blue Velocore+ 5R

AI Smoke Max 16.5* w/ Red TR Velore 6S

AI Smoke Max 21* w/ Velocore+ 7S | Apex UW 19* w/ Velore+ 7S when too windy

Ping G430 22 & 26 deg, Venus Blue HB 7S
MP 245 6-GW, Recoil 95S
Mizuno T24 54.10S 58.10V, DG S400

SC Phantom T-12 Tour Prototype

Pro V1

On 3/30/2024 at 7:39 AM, wolverine_man said:

Well, I am tormenting myself, yet again. I played three balls yesterday. ProV1, CT and CTX.  For whatever reason, probably just coincidence, my tee shots sliced with CT first two times I used it. Not with the other balls. Then, on a par 5 I hit all three balls and from that point forward, I was hitting straight drives with CT. CT and CTX seem equally long for me off the driver. On one hole noticed that I missed it a little with the CTX, but other than being a little left, it went the same distance as the CT. CTX definitely has more spin chipping than CT. I need to lad the ball a lot closer to the hole for that reason. I can’t decide if this is good or bad, especially for the links course I’ll be playing soon. 

ProV1 seemed to hold up distance wise on the drives. I was still able to launch over the trees to cut off a dog leg. On the last hole, I hit a couple PWs into a front pin, while neither shot got to the pin, the Pro V1 was closer as the CTX, spun back off the green. The V1 took a small hop forward. Both the CT and CTX really looked beat up compared to the V1.  It’s hard to decide if I can accept that as the price of admission into the CT family. Hmmm, decisions…. 

I highly doubt this is the ball.....its swing and contact more than anything.....