New Callaway X-Forged in Japan

12 hours ago, pjc said:

Nah, Minjee playing the X Forged, Rose Zhang (Star version), Ruoning Yin and a few others on the LPGA sporting these new X forged versions.

You named three LPGA players that are playing x forged irons. Thats cool. But, besides Minjee( recent witb said cb) the ones I listed are playing CB's, not that any of this matters.

What truly baffles me, is Callaway.  Just the most bizarre releases.

Edited by Avidswampthing66

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

On 3/22/2024 at 9:03 AM, radiman said:

Oh good lawd.

Is there really not a market for an iron like this in the US??? I just have a hard time believing multimaterial design is what everyone clamors for in the low handicap segment.  This is the best looking X Forged I have seen.  I think I like this more than the 2013 even.  

02.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8MzQ5Mzk1fGltYWdlL2pwZWd8aGZkL2hiYS8xMDI5MzkzODg0Nzc3NC5qcGd8ZDkwNzBkNmY1ODk1MjlkZDJkOWJlNTQ0NjQwY2Q3YzE0MDI0NGJiMTYxNmExZmZhZWUyMDQ0YzZlODNiOWMxZg

04.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8NDEwMjI0fGltYWdlL2pwZWd8aDEzL2hlOS8xMDI5MzkzOTA0NDM4Mi5qcGd8MmNjOTk5NTlhMDI0ZGVlZTM2NzNmYzhiNzIyNGYyNTM2MDRhNDZjZTIwN2UxYTU4MGRhZjdmZGYzNjJkZmZlYw

Gorgeous 🤩 Feeling even better about the preorder placed through tourspec. 

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Paradym TD Night Mode | 10.5° | HZRDUS RDX Blue 60g 6.5  

5w - Callaway Paradym TD | 18° | HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5 

Hybrid - Titleist TSi2 | 21° | HZRDUS Black RDX 90g 6.5

Irons - Callaway X Forged (2024) | 4-PW | N.S. Pro Modus120x 

Wedges - Callaway Jaws Raw | 50° 54° 58° | DG S400 

Putter - 2023 Bettinardi Studio B Reserve QB6 

Bag - Vessel Player IV Pro (Gray) 

Ball - Z Star XV 

On 3/18/2024 at 10:22 AM, Avidswampthing66 said:

Totally agree.  I game the CB's and I love the feel when struck dead center...but if you are a slightly off they feel very firm.   Very interested in these irons

On 3/18/2024 at 11:47 AM, radiman said:

Lol, I get it.  If Callaway chooses to ignore that segment, that's on them.  Their disregard for the better player is likely the reason they're the king of tour only products.  When I went in to try the Apex CB, they had one already shafted 7i.  Couldn't even test different shafts.  Just one standard spec club.  Like they're barely trying.  

Also, I shudder to think of the idea that a single piece forged iron being JDM-esque when just a few years ago, it was the norm. And honestly, that's all these CB's are.  Just minus the AI names, tungsten plates, and marketing buzzwords.  I guess my Cobra CB's are JDM-esque in that regard then haha.  

But, fwiw, judging by the demand for the TCB (which were a refined XFCB), the triple diamond drivers (which were not in the retail line just a few years ago), and Apex UW, there is definitely a market for better player products.  

I love my Cobra CB's.  They'll be in the bag this season too.  I have an affinity to Callaway though.  I have for years.  Would love to see them get back into what they were back in the days of the 2013 X Forged.  Even the 2016 Apex Pros I had were a very very far cry from what that line has become.  

Right there with you guys on the pure forged irons. I think they play just as well as multi-material heads and the ball speeds are perfectly fine. I don’t notice much difference. I am glad Callaway is coming with these and I think there is a market. These are not complicated designs and with much greater access to milling these days, small companies can fill the void. I played the 2013 X Forged and IMO the New Level irons feel very similar, every bit as good and a simple, clean look. There are very nice options besides the JDM route. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

Right there with you guys on the pure forged irons. I think they play just as well as multi-material heads and the ball speeds are perfectly fine. I don’t notice much difference. I am glad Callaway is coming with these and I think there is a market. These are not complicated designs and with much greater access to milling these days, small companies can fill the void. I played the 2013 X Forged and IMO the New Level irons feel very similar, every bit as good and a simple, clean look. There are very nice options besides the JDM route. 

Sometimes I feel like clubs are required to incorporate a certain amount of market tested buzz words when it comes to material and design.  And I think it's true of all OEMs, not just Callaway.  In the players club space, loft for loft, I don't feel like there is much of a performance difference between a multi material, multi piece, "high tech" design and a simple one piece forged iron.  Sure, there are intangibles that fit certain players.  Sole width, offset, etc.  But, you don't need to load the head with tungsten to accomplish that.  

I am of the opinion that a well constructed set of players irons from 10+ years ago will match the performance of a modern set from today, as long as the lofts are similar.  

At the end of the day, I understand why they do it.  It sells clubs.  Golfers over here love a good tech story.  A reason to upgrade from the set they bought a year or two ago.  "Well, the new irons have microsphere's and even more tungsten than what I have now."  Generate FOMO that leads to golfers that are more willing to part with their money on a regular basis.  It's more prevalent in drivers, but I think we're seeing it start to bleed into all clubs a bit.  

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

On 3/22/2024 at 10:11 PM, Avidswampthing66 said:

What truly baffles me, is Callaway.  Just the most bizarre releases.

Not bizarre.  Lots of OEM's release clubs for Asia/Japan only or release them first in that part of the world.  Some of that has to do with golf seasons.  Usually Asia first, then Australia, then Europe then N. America.  It is funny to see people get all crazy about clubs and go to great lengths to get something asap and pay crazy money to do it.  Wait a month and you will likely see it on BST for a lot less as.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

5 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Not bizarre.  Lots of OEM's release clubs for Asia/Japan only or release them first in that part of the world.  Some of that has to do with golf seasons.  Usually Asia first, then Australia, then Europe then N. America.  It is funny to see people get all crazy about clubs and go to great lengths to get something asap and pay crazy money to do it.  Wait a month and you will likely see it on BST for a lot less as.

Unless something changes, that won't be the case with these.  Like the X Forged Star irons before it, they appear to be JDM only.  Designed in Japan based on what the Japan tour players and golfers prioritize.  

image.png.02069fa4c94fca216e67595e26f47d12.png

Could be that these generate enough buzz that they release them here.  But, who knows.  They typically hold that pretty close to the vest.  If it's anything like the limited release woods, we won't know that they're available until they randomly show up at select fitters.  

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

38 minutes ago, radiman said:

Unless something changes, that won't be the case with these.  Like the X Forged Star irons before it, they appear to be JDM only.  Designed in Japan based on what the Japan tour players and golfers prioritize.  

image.png.02069fa4c94fca216e67595e26f47d12.png

Could be that these generate enough buzz that they release them here.  But, who knows.  They typically hold that pretty close to the vest.  If it's anything like the limited release woods, we won't know that they're available until they randomly show up at select fitters.  

Much like the Legacy Black irons.  Never did get released in N. America.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

7 minutes ago, Socrates said:

Much like the Legacy Black irons.  Never did get released in N. America.

Oh yeah! Forgot about those.  

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

From tourspec a set of 4-W, after shipping, was $1400 (with a 20% coupon that was valid when they opened up preorders), $150 cheaper than the Apex CBs currently on the market here in the states. Seems like a good price to me.

• Like 2

Ball - Z Star XV 

1 minute ago, bardezart said:

From tourspec a set of 4-W, after shipping, was $1400 (with a 20% coupon that was valid when they opened up preorders), $150 cheaper than the Apex CBs currently on the market here in the states. Seems like a good price to me.

Shouldn't have mentioned the price.  When you put them on BST guys are going to only want to pay $700. 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Just now, Socrates said:

Shouldn't have mentioned the price.  When you put them on BST guys are going to only want to pay $700. 😄

Maybe so 😂 But I don't buy/sell here – only on FB or to friends in the area. 

Ball - Z Star XV 

5 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but one piece forgings that require precision milling is quite abit more expensive to manufacture than multi material heads.

Definitely no performance drop off for what elite players need. Noone on tour needs 6 more yards from a 9 iron, for instance.

On 3/10/2024 at 4:39 AM, OrangeGravy said:

What year x-forged star are these?

These are 2021

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

2 hours ago, DMartini said:

someone needs to post a pic of the 8i,9i & PW, because this line in the 2018 & 2021 model looked very odd, like they didnt match the rest of the set shape.

I’ll get photos of 4-W when they arrive next month (if more photos don’t surface by then)

• Like 1

Ball - Z Star XV 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to some feedback on the beauts soon

• Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

Years back in 2006, I took a demo "original x-forged" 6i (weight 257g) with three wedges and putter and played 6200 +/- yard White tees, and walked off with an 86.  That 6i with PX 6.0 shaft was remarkable.  I was able to push it over 190yds, then.  The very next day I ordered the complete 2i-PW set with PX 6.0, and played them for many years, until they looked worn.  What amazed me about Callaway, even their blades were easy to hit.  It became evident, they made clubs for people that didn't work at the game, like Na.  Thus, at the time, Callaway didn't have irons that interested me, so I went back to Titleist blades, been there ever since.

What's disappointing, that same year I bought Callaway they had many complaints about how difficult original x-forged was to play for a certain segment, so they redesigned them, changing the look and made them a lot easier, then reintroduced them at the end of that 2006.  I tested the new version, didn't like it, tested subsequence revisions too, didn't like them either.  IMO Callaway has missed the mark for me, ever since.

Having shared my experience, the Japanese version posted by the OP looks to be a nice club.  Kind of like the original.  Interesting how so many OEMs are making irons that have similarities.

Callaway 2006 X-Forged.jpg

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

So Iwas really excited for these irons until I saw Johnny Wonders pics at address, now I am so bummed. I am hoping it is the angle BUT they had soooooooooooooooooooo much offset on them especially the stars.

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

1 hour ago, Wardonation said:

So Iwas really excited for these irons until I saw Johnny Wonders pics at address, now I am so bummed. I am hoping it is the angle BUT they had soooooooooooooooooooo much offset on them especially the stars.

Where did Wunder post photos of them? There are plenty on this thread that show pretty limited offset. 

Ball - Z Star XV 

10 hours ago, bardezart said:

Where did Wunder post photos of them? There are plenty on this thread that show pretty limited offset. 

I think it was his Insta page (maybe a story) though. Ya his pics were way different then the ones I see here. Maybe his were the US release, IDK.

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

13 hours ago, Wardonation said:

Interesting.  I tried to find them, but it must have been on his story.  But, in the pics on the callaway japan site, they look pretty good. I suppose, we'll know more once people start getting them in.  

04.jpg?context=bWFzdGVyfHJvb3R8NDEwMjI0fGltYWdlL2pwZWd8aDEzL2hlOS8xMDI5MzkzOTA0NDM4Mi5qcGd8MmNjOTk5NTlhMDI0ZGVlZTM2NzNmYzhiNzIyNGYyNTM2MDRhNDZjZTIwN2UxYTU4MGRhZjdmZGYzNjJkZmZlYw

• Like 1

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

• Like 1

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

50 minutes ago, radiman said:

Yeah, those look great offset wise. Especially considering it is a CB. 

Ball - Z Star XV 

3 hours ago, radiman said:

Interesting.  I tried to find them, but it must have been on his story.  But, in the pics on the callaway japan site, they look pretty good. I suppose, we'll know more once people start getting them in.  

Yes that is the pic that this looks MUCH better blown up, thank you. I like them again lol

• Haha 1

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

4 minutes ago, Wardonation said:

Yes that is the pic that this looks MUCH better blown up, thank you. I like them again lol

I still am not a huge fan of the "shoulder" of the irons (topline meets hosel). You can for sure tell they were developed in Japan. Mizuno's have that same look to it (rounded). But they are the best iron Callaway has made since my old 18 Blades...

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)