Original Odyssey 380 Jailbird vs Odyssey AI Cruiser jailbird differences

johnnythunders

Anyone have both and see any notable differences? I have the Jailbird 380 which has the black metal insert, interested in comparison. Thanks. I have the AI cruiser on order. 

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

2 hours ago, johnnythunders said:

Anyone have both and see any notable differences? I have the Jailbird 380 which has the black metal insert, interested in comparison. Thanks. I have the AI cruiser on order. 

I have the JB 380 with both inserts and the AI cruiser (all at 38 inches).  I prefer the OG 380 and it will start the season in my bag.  I need to mess with the AI cruiser more but I just don’t care for the feel as much as the OG 380.  

So I had a warranty issue with the paint on the microhinge jailbird and they had to send me an ai cruiser version as a replacement. I got the ai cruiser in the same specs as the 380.

My initial thought is that the microhinge is so soft (too soft for me) and the jailbird has a little bit more feel to it. The weighting of the putter in the stroke also seemed to feel a little bit easier and free flowing to make the stroke with.  Fairly comparable outside of feel if I’m being honest. I just got it today so haven’t had a ton of practice with it yet but overall with the feel of the insert alone, I like the cruiser more. 

• 2 weeks later...

Want to bump this and see if anyone else has thoughts. I’m strongly considering going from the MH JB 380 to the AI-one cruiser.

Cobra King F9 White 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5

Cobra LTDx LS 3 wood 14.5* Tensei White 70X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour 5 wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70g 6.5

Mizuno MP18 FliHi 3 Iron Tour AD Black 95X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Black Satin 50/10, 54/10 @54.5, 60/10 @59 TT Tour Issue Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird 380

1 hour ago, onthebogeytrain said:

Want to bump this and see if anyone else has thoughts. I’m strongly considering going from the MH JB 380 to the AI-one cruiser.

Have you tested them both side by side yet?  Everyone’s opinion will be different since each of these putters have a different feel (I own both).  Your best bet is to test the AI against your current gamer to see which one wins out.  

49 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Have you tested them both side by side yet?  Everyone’s opinion will be different since each of these putters have a different feel (I own both).  Your best bet is to test the AI against your current gamer to see which one wins out.  

Have only hit a few putts with the AI on an indoor putting green. Don’t have much else to go off unfortunately.

Cobra King F9 White 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5

Cobra LTDx LS 3 wood 14.5* Tensei White 70X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour 5 wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70g 6.5

Mizuno MP18 FliHi 3 Iron Tour AD Black 95X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Black Satin 50/10, 54/10 @54.5, 60/10 @59 TT Tour Issue Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird 380

22 minutes ago, onthebogeytrain said:

Have only hit a few putts with the AI on an indoor putting green. Don’t have much else to go off unfortunately.

Yeah, I bought an AI because I wanted to test it against both of my JBs on real grass etc.  I really like the feel of the AI but I seem to be putting better with the MH insert currently.  You really can’t go wrong with any of them, all so good imho. 

I’m test driving a buddies AI jailbird cruiser coming off a Toulon blade. I really like the action of the cruiser but not the feel of the insert. I’m considering the Toulon Alcatraz but it’s twice the cost and no way to try it. Any thoughts on the Alcatraz?  
https://toulongolf.com/collections/24-collection/products/first-run-alcatraz-double-bend-rh

Debating going with the AI one over the microhinge strictly because I want to try 40” shaft. I also love the MH within 20 feet but don’t love the feel beyond that. I might order it and try it to compare. Did the same

with the White Hot release and liked MH better.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my ai jailbird.. man I hate this grip. It’s awful.. I wonder what the weight is on the cruiser grip. 

Did anyone try putting on a super stroke pistol 1.0? I imagine it could be awesome.. will cut off original grip and see how much it weigh. Perhaps have to buy some weights for the super stroke grip.. but will be easier to control the face ( imo )

Not completely sold on the putter but I’m waiting for my df3.. will experiment with this meanwhile. 

edit: cut it off and its at 85g if anyone curious 

Edited by WillieGnarls
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WillieGnarls said:

Just got my ai jailbird.. man I hate this grip. It’s awful.. I wonder what the weight is on the cruiser grip. 

Did anyone try putting on a super stroke pistol 1.0? I imagine it could be awesome.. will cut off original grip and see how much it weigh. Perhaps have to buy some weights for the super stroke grip.. but will be easier to control the face ( imo )

Not completely sold on the putter but I’m waiting for my df3.. will experiment with this meanwhile. 

edit: cut it off and its at 85g if anyone curious 

Thank you for your experimentation lol I've been wondering this myself. Even sent Callaway a couple emails & no one has gotten back to me--usually they're pretty good about questions.

I also don't love the stock grip--sounds like of the SS extended length grips, the Tour 3.0 or a Flatso 2.0/3.0 would be closest to 85g. Ext length 1.0 is almost 2x the weight, sheesh... I picked up one of those 13" claw grips Wyndham has been using & even that one is ~100g. That's probably a little more manageable to add head weight if you like the smaller grip size, but yeah, even a regular 1.0 SS grip you'd be able to add grip weight pretty easily with the counter core grips

2 hours ago, njmack said:

Thank you for your experimentation lol I've been wondering this myself. Even sent Callaway a couple emails & no one has gotten back to me--usually they're pretty good about questions.

I also don't love the stock grip--sounds like of the SS extended length grips, the Tour 3.0 or a Flatso 2.0/3.0 would be closest to 85g. Ext length 1.0 is almost 2x the weight, sheesh... I picked up one of those 13" claw grips Wyndham has been using & even that one is ~100g. That's probably a little more manageable to add head weight if you like the smaller grip size, but yeah, even a regular 1.0 SS grip you'd be able to add grip weight pretty easily with the counter core grips

Going to the golf store tomorrow.. the 1.0 is at 82g if I remember correctly. Pretty close. Can post a picture tomorrow 😄

also, I expected a counter weight in the butt of the shaft, just like the lab shafts from odyssey. There was nothing there in this model

• Like 1

My issue with Odyssey double bend putters is they are ALWAYS different.  The part I speak of is the way they are set for the double bend shaft and how it lines up.  The last 4 I have had I had to pull the shaft, clean, and then re-epoxy it back properly.  I had to do it with a V line, the Red Jailbird I made into a versa, the AI one I have as well.

I have been playing all of my putters 38.5-39" so it's not a huge deal since I hate extensions and end up replacing the stock shafts regardless.  So I do NOT have one of the re-released 380's or an AI-One cruiser, but my red that I stripped has a microhinge, and I weighted the bottom with lead tape.  I also weighted the AI-One jailbird, and am playing it the same as my "Rickie" version.  The feel is COMPLETELY different between the two, the microhinge is soft, but I feel it does a better job on off center hits than the white hot insert does.  The AI-one is almost too firm for my tastes with certain golf balls.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

As promised. Here’s a picture of the putter with the ss pistol 1.0. 

Definitely feels a lot easier to aim imo. Did change the balance quite a bit tho. I did order a 50g ss core weight, so we’ll see how it feels afterwards. 

definitely not ruined tho! Feels easier to have a repeatable grip since it’s easier to find guidelines on this grip. I usually play my putter 36” and there’s a curved line on the grip that I put my palm on perfectly. 

Excuse the dirty floor, the Dyson vacuum just broke 😅

IMG_3795.jpeg

Edited by WillieGnarls

4 hours ago, WillieGnarls said:

Definitely feels a lot easier to aim imo. Did change the balance quite a bit tho. I did order a 50g ss core weight, so we’ll see how it feels afterwards. 

definitely not ruined tho! Feels easier to have a repeatable grip since it’s easier to find guidelines on this grip. I usually play my putter 36” and there’s a curved line on the grip that I put my palm on perfectly. 

IMG_3795.jpeg

what length did you settle on?

Callaway AI Smoke Max 9* | Ventus Blue TR 6X

Callaway AI Smoke Max 15* | Ventus Blue TR 7X

Callaway Apex UW 21* | Ventus Blue 8X

Titleist U505 4iron | Project X Hzrdus Black 80 HY 6.0

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW | KBS C-Taper 125 S+

Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 55 | KBS 610 125 S+

Callaway Jaws Raw 60 | KBS High Rev 2.0 Black 125 S

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Cruiser | Odyssey 2-Ball Armlock 

Callaway Chrome Tour X

5 hours ago, WillieGnarls said:

IMG_3795.jpeg

What length is that?

8 hours ago, WillieGnarls said:

IMG_3795.jpeg

Nice! I just modded mine to play somewhat like the Clark setup: claw 1.0P grip & I took it down to 37". Weirdly, it feels heavier in the head? I figured with a heavier grip than stock, it might feel lighter--but maybe I have that backwards... Definitely feels like a tank & seems to be rolling even more stable than before? Still need to leave my carpet for the great outdoors!

• 2 weeks later...

So kind of off topic but not really.. I have been trying out several putters over the past two weeks. My tendacy is to take it outside on backstroke and pull my putts. I narrowed it done to standrard length DF3, Spider CB and the AI 30" Bird. I chose the Bird because it does not let me take it outside on backstroke a matter of fact it take me inside the line on the backstroke. Once I decided on the Bird a went to 3 locations and look at 7 Birds as they all set up different everyone. Quailty control for Odyssey has always been ave at best. I found the one that looked close to the specs I like 2 degree and 69. Some of them I could see the whole white insert on, crazy. Anyways bought it and took it to my guy and sure enough it was 2.5 and 69. After talking with him we bent it to 1 degree as this putter makes me add loft. I was afraid it would not sit correct when I soled it but it does. I am stoked even though I have the Phantom 11 Long ordered lol... I am going to add a little lead tape to the bird as it feels a touch light to me... If people are struggling at all with this putter go get the loft and lie checked...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

I'm curious if anyone else has changed the grip to a longer SS or something different. The Odyssey grip doesn't feel as good as I'd hoped. It's not terrible but there is something off about it. Has anyone got the true weight of the stock grip? I almost want to cut it to 37 inches and grip it like I usually do. I need the grip weight and adjust once I get the stock swing weight. 

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser

Titleist Pro V1

Looking to possibly swap the stock grip from my cruiser to the Superstroke 17”

is there a weight in the end of the shaft? Or is it built into the stock grip? 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

10 minutes ago, Kale_m said:

No weight heavier shaft

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

1 hour ago, Kale_m said:

If you do, can they weigh the stock grip and you update us? 

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser

Titleist Pro V1

Just now, MerryTex said:

If you do, can they weigh the stock grip and you update us? 

Will do

• Thanks 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide