2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Lost my 8-iron (and whoever picked it up lied about finding it). It just turned up at a resale store!

They guy lost his property, then he found his property.

The store bought stolen property.

News flash - You are entitled to YOUR property.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

4 minutes ago, CWT33 said:

It’s like the cops episode where the junkie calls the police because a drug dealer stole her money.

It is nothing like this

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

9 minutes ago, CWT33 said:

I would gladly pay full asking price for buying back this guys iron if I could watch or listen to the police officer's reaction to the filing of a report on this one. Alert the news. It’s like the cops episode where the junkie calls the police because a drug dealer stole her money.

What in the hell is wrong with you folks? Is the level of entitlement so huge that you all think the world revolves around you and your mistakes have no consequences? Someone didn’t steal his 8 iron out of his bag while he watched him do it. The guy left it in the rough and went back hours later to look for it. A grifting hobo could have found it while looking for pro v1’s. This is insane. This isn’t Mayberry, sadly. No mas.

I'll tell you right now, this man has my vote for POTUS....no question!

Unless you live in Mayberry the police aren't going to do anything about this. Sure, they might let you file a report, but that's where the story will end. They certainly aren't going to dedicate resources to open a case and review video footage over a lost (not stolen) item with a value of less than $50....

OP... go the the shop and explain the situation. If you're extremely lucky they'll sell you back the club for the price they paid for it. If you're not extremely lucky but still lucky you'll be able to buy the club back at the price they are selling it for.

1 minute ago, Abh159 said:

Unless you live in Mayberry the police aren't going to do anything about this. Sure, they might let you file a report, but that's where the story will end. They certainly aren't going to dedicate resources to open a case and review video footage over a lost (not stolen) item with a value of less than $50....

OP... go the the shop and explain the situation. If you're extremely lucky they'll sell you back the club for the price they paid for it. If you're not extremely lucky but still lucky you'll be able to buy the club back at the price they are selling it for.

yeah, not sure how the police got involved in this conversation. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, dugue4 said:

They guy lost his property, then he found his property.

The store bought stolen property.

News flash - You are entitled to YOUR property.

That is true-not that I would get the police involved.  

Let's say that I am walking and find this awesome Malamute running through the neighborhood with a collar but no ID tags. Super friendly dog, well bred, well mannered, well groomed.  I've always wanted a Malamute but they are expensive and it's hard to find a good breeder locally. 

Most people can't justify keeping that dog without a good faith effort to find out where the dog came from. It's a Malamute: they love to roam and some kid is probably crying at home right now that their dog has gone missing. 

Edited by RoyalMustang

I'd go to the store and buy it off them, but show the matching irons and explain to them it's clearly yours and see if they can give it to you for what they paid out. Then let them decide what to do about the person who turned it in as they likely keep records, and maybe blacklist them from trading in items in the future. Perhaps ask if it's someone associated with the course or get a name to let the course know what this person does. If they're a regular or a member then a little acknowledgement from someone else would hopefully discourage them from doing it again in the future.

But I'm glad you're getting your club back. Somebody swiped my brother's 8i from the range when he was teaching kids several years back and got distracted. Who has need for a lefty 8i? Such a waste.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

It's actually being sold for $60; I figured the guy who sold it got $35. 

That's totally not the point. I don't blame the reseller at all. I'll pay the $60.  I am upset at the situation and the guy who picked it up, didn't tell me he had it, and later on, could have done the right thing by called the shop and saying "hey, I have this 8-iron. Here's my # in case the guy wants it back". I would have driven out to pick it up. 

The guy obviously had no use for a random 8-iron. Any golfer knows this. But it requires me to buy a new set. i was happier when I just thought it got chewed up by a mower and tossed in the trash. Now, to know that someone who knew better, is bothering me. 

Dude, I feel for you....its hard to understand while people can be sooo selfish, like the person that lied about finding it. I would be very frustrated too, but ultimately in myself for forgetting it and giving someone the opportunity to be a dink. That person must be a real POS in my opinion, but people are crappy.

Try to be excited you are getting it back....many that lose clubs dont!

49 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

That's totally not the point. I don't blame the reseller at all. I'll pay the $60.  I am upset at the situation and the guy who picked it up, didn't tell me he had it, and later on, could have done the right thing by called the shop and saying "hey, I have this 8-iron. Here's my # in case the guy wants it back". I would have driven out to pick it up. 

The guy obviously had no use for a random 8-iron. Any golfer knows this. But it requires me to buy a new set. i was happier when I just thought it got chewed up by a mower and tossed in the trash. Now, to know that someone who knew better, is bothering me. 

I would pay the $60 before someone else does.  Finding a replacement or "matching club" from another manufacturer will likely be harder and costlier.

Half the fault belongs to you for leaving it out on the course.  The other half belongs to the person who lacked the decency to return it to the clubhouse and instead preferred to make a quick buck.

Edited by nikos74

1 hour ago, RoyalMustang said:

Ever stop to think that your 8-iron (new) is probably more expensive than the guy's entire set? 

That is true-not that I would get the police involved.  

Let's say that I am walking and find this awesome Malamute running through the neighborhood with a collar but no ID tags. Super friendly dog, well bred, well mannered, well groomed.  I've always wanted a Malamute but they are expensive and it's hard to find a good breeder locally. 

Most people can't justify keeping that dog without a good faith effort to find out where the dog came from. It's a Malamute: they love to roam and some kid is probably crying at home right now that their dog has gone missing. 

Sounds like that dog behaves better than my 8 iron.  Just go to the store tell them that this is the exact club you lost and could you buy it back for what they paid the guy, and a few extra dollars for their trouble. They don't want the headaches as much as you don't. 

I look at it like this, if someone found my club and went out of their way to return it to the pro shop, and if we knew that person's identity, I would pay for their next round of golf. So its kind of the same. Still better than having to buy a now replacement (the time without it alone is a killer). Still sucks that this happened, and with the influx of so many new people and the decline of society's morals it is an all to common occurrence. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

26 minutes ago, blaird said:

It really gets to me people that dont turn in found clubs. Anyone who plays golf, knows how expensive it is. I have a kid (Im a high school coach) who lost a 58* vokey the other day and nobody turned it in. I know that nobody will turn it in, told him the odds of someone turning in a vokey are not good. Thankfully I have quite a few 58* vokeys and was able to give him one of mine. I make sure to drive home to my players that it doesnt matter what you find, it gets turned in. We have turned in headcovers, rangefinders, irons, wedges, keys, wallets, phones, anything found on the course not ours, gets turned in. Also makes me feel a little better when I check on someone getting a wallet back and the shop tells me how thankful and grateful they are, bc we all know how it sucks losing a wallet/phone/keys.

No kidding. I find clubs once a month; I set them in my bag and either run into the guy who has lost it (usually a greenside wedge, so he knows right away) or i'll leave it at the shop. I've got wedges: what do I need with someone else's club? I've also lost my rangefinder a couple of times. It happens when I play in a cart with a friend, which is the only time I play in a cart, so my normal rhythm of pulling out the RF, shooting, and putting it back in my bag is off becuase my bag isn't next to me. If it goes on the ground, I'll make my shot, start thinking about the shot and the next, and walk away.  Even then, someone always offers to give it back, even though it's pretty nice.  

That's what's odd: a RF has real value to someone as they are universal. An X-flex player's 8-iron? Not so much. 

2 minutes ago, jtj74 said:

Bro, just start hitting your drives far enough that you don't need an 8 iron. 

Ha-ha! I often can, but this particular hole plays 460 normally into a crosswind or headwind. If the wind is up, I'm psyched to be hitting an 8. Last week, on a windy day, I absolutely destroyed my drive, only to leave me looking at a low-flighted 5-iron to the green. Until I start carrying 340, I'll be pulling out this 8 a couple of times a round. 

Does it suck? yea. Is anyone going to be overly concerned about a single club that you lost? Unfortunately not.

Go to the store and bring your other clubs, explain what happened and hopefully whoever's working there understands and will sell it back to you at whatever price they bought it for. Highly doubtful the store will voluntarily take a loss due to your sob story, regardless of how scummy it was on the guy who found it's part.

38 minutes ago, nvr3putt said:

Ever stop to think that your 8-iron (new) is probably more expensive than the guy's entire set? 

What does that have to do with anything?

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

In Pennsylvania it's called "theft of mislaid property" and if you get the right cop on the right day they would look into it.  Would I go through the trouble, probably not, but I wouldn't fault someone who wanted accountability in a case like this.  Sometimes you're just in the mood to call someone out for doing something crappy.  I get a kick out of people getting checked for these little integrity issues, that's why I get caught looking at Instagram Reels of people getting confronted for not putting their shopping cart back in the parking lot stall and other goofy stuff like that. 

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the person who picked up the guys club, not the shop owner.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, sharkiesj said:

Don’t make this any harder.  You forgot your club.  It happens.  Don’t point fingers at anyone.  Just pay the money to get your club back.  The fact that it turned up at a shop is 1 million % good mojo for you.  Don’t ruin it.  

This

• Like 2

[color=#000000]Ping G30 LST - Ping Tour 65x[/color]
[color=#000000]Mizzy Fli-Hi 3 iron - Project X 6.0
Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-AW - DG X100 ss1x
Vokey Wedgeworks 54* K Grind- DG S200
Ping Glide (SS) 60*/Lob Combo Grind - DG S400
Cameron Select NP2[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/533027-jlevitt9s-witb-set-for-2013-possibly/"]WITB Link[/url]

24 minutes ago, k_rock5 said:

In Pennsylvania it's called "theft of mislaid property" and if you get the right cop on the right day they would look into it.  Would I go through the trouble, probably not, but I wouldn't fault someone who wanted accountability in a case like this.  Sometimes you're just in the mood to call someone out for doing something crappy.  I get a kick out of people getting checked for these little integrity issues, that's why I get caught looking at Instagram Reels of people getting confronted for not putting their shopping cart back in the parking lot stall and other goofy stuff like that. 

Just to be clear, I'm talking about the person who picked up the guys club, not the shop owner.

Accountability, LOL, I'm sure the Dallas District Attorney is just chomping at the bit to get this one, I mean, we only had 246 murders here last year.

My mental image of a WRXer getting a club stolen.

Need To Stop Season 20 GIF by SVU

• Haha 3

Ha-ha! I often can, but this particular hole plays 460 normally into a crosswind or headwind. If the wind is up, I'm psyched to be hitting an 8. Last week, on a windy day, I absolutely destroyed my drive, only to leave me looking at a low-flighted 5-iron to the green. Until I start carrying 340, I'll be pulling out this 8 a couple of times a round. 

I agree with you 100% on this issue.  That said, i would buy the club back to ensure I have it.  i would also explain to the shop owner that it is actually yours to start with.  Most decent folks will see your side and give it to you.  Even if they charge, it is better than being without the club.

2 hours ago, blaird said:

It really gets to me people that dont turn in found clubs. Anyone who plays golf, knows how expensive it is. I have a kid (Im a high school coach) who lost a 58* vokey the other day and nobody turned it in. I know that nobody will turn it in, told him the odds of someone turning in a vokey are not good. Thankfully I have quite a few 58* vokeys and was able to give him one of mine. I make sure to drive home to my players that it doesnt matter what you find, it gets turned in. We have turned in headcovers, rangefinders, irons, wedges, keys, wallets, phones, anything found on the course not ours, gets turned in. Also makes me feel a little better when I check on someone getting a wallet back and the shop tells me how thankful and grateful they are, bc we all know how it sucks losing a wallet/phone/keys.

This guy coaches.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfhammer said:

This guy coaches.

And he's coaching the kids right.  Apparently, the person who sold the club to the shop that picked it up was not taught right and wrong (or chose to ignore those teachings).  Otherwise, they would have turned it in.  

Golf balls that are obviously lost on the course are fair game.  All other goods/valuables/equipment should be turned in and/or returned to their rightful owner.

• Like 1