2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

TIGER'S SEASON IS OVER (Merged)

lilhellmaker17

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?pa...mp;select=26291

SAN DIEGO -- According to sources, Tiger Woods has made a decision go ahead with season ending knee surgery.

He experienced a small stress fracture in his left leg about two weeks before the U.S. Open, which was causing him all that pain, and ultimately the doctors feel that he needs ACL surgery and rest to get him back to 100%.

Sources added that Tiger’s in great spirits and wants to ensure that he comes back even better at the start of the 2009 season.

Although his playing schedule is going to put on hold, he will continue to make numerous appearances and fulfill his sponsor and charitable commitments over the next five to six months.

Does this mean Tiger will be eligible to win his first 'Comeback Player Of The Year' Award next year?

Funny. The cool thing is that we all get to see different people win the upcoming majors and the Fed Ex cup!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I guess Goosen was wrong. He wasn't faking it. It was only worth it as he won a Major.

We will now get a peak at what the TV ratings will be like when Tiger is done. The TV networks have to be sh*tting in their pants right now.

Question is will he still be ranked #1 when he comes back. I have no idea what the formula is to determine the world rankings.

I guess Goosen was wrong. He wasn't faking it. It was only worth it as he won a Major.

We will now get a peak at what the TV ratings will be like when Tiger is done. The TV networks have to be sh*tting in their pants right now.

Question is will he still be ranked #1 when he comes back. I have no idea what the formula is to determine the world rankings.

Exactly what I was thinking. To all those who thought he was faking or milking it, what say you now?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I believe it's mathematically impossible for him to drop from #1 before at least a year from now.

WW

Does this mean Tiger will be eligible to win his first 'Comeback Player Of The Year' Award next year?

That would be a good assumption....

I am interested in seeing how the Ryder Cup pans out. This opens up another spot as he was a certain lock.

Hopefully, Rocco can make the team as his attitude would really be a boost for the US team.

Wow this is huge.

I had to check that it wasn't April 1st!

I wonder if playing in the U.S Open has caused him further aggravation. You've got to wonder if it was really worth playing if that's the case?

Nevertheless, it's time for some of the pretenders to step up to the plate. Adam Scott and Sergio Garcia, you've got 6 months to show everyone what you're capable of!

One thing we haven't discussed yet is that Mr Woods will be missing from the Ryder Cup. I'm a European but I think it's a shame that he'll miss it (still, it's a ready made excuse for 'Zinger).

Here's to a full, successful recovery for Tiger. May you come back fitter and stronger next year! :clapping:

That would be a good assumption....

I am interested in seeing how the Ryder Cup pans out. This opens up another spot as he was a certain lock.

Hopefully, Rocco can make the team as his attitude would really be a boost for the US team.

A UK newspaper said Rocco would be ideal for the other side but that Azinger would not have the foresight to pick Rocco.

I knew Tiger was coming back too soon. This was not very smart on his part. A real shame.

Tiger has never played that well in the Ryder Cup, it is if all his partners seem to be waiting on him to take control instead of stepping up themselves. It will be interesting to see if they are more of a team without him or if someone like Phil steps up to the plate and plays well both in the Ryder Cup in for the rest of the year.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

It would have been a real shame if he had lost the US Open AND ended his season. At least he won 1 major this year.

Watching the other majors isn't going to be as exciting without him. I hope Sergio wins one this year. He's due.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][b][i]Ping G400 - 9*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 17*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G400 - 19*[/i]
[i]Ping G30 - 22*[/i][/b]
[b][i]Ping G30 - 25*[/i]
[i]TaylorMade P790 Custom Black Finish - 6-GW - Steel Fiber i95 shaft[/i]
[i]Cleveland RTX-4 - 54 and 58 [/i]
[i]Scotty Cameron "Joker" X5 34" with 20g Joker weights[/i][/b][/font]

I was one who thought he was overplaying his injury, if this is true I was wrong but why when asked wouldn't he tell the extent of the injury.

If they saw the tear in the scope they should have repaired it then and not risk further damage.

I've had 3 ligament tears/surgery and your knee is never the same, if he gets it back to 80% prior to his injury he'll be lucky.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see who steps up in the next 5 majors, cuz I don't think Tiger will be back til the US open next year.

NOTE: No mention of this on his website!

This isn't olympic figure skating, no style points. Golf is still a game where only the final score matters. Tiger won, whether he hopped on one leg or walked on three is irrelevant. Seems lots of people (other than Tiger) like to make excuses for him when he doesn't win, but Tiger doesn't. Remember last years U.S. Open. After he loses while close in the final round we find out his wife is in the hospital with complications from the pregnancy and then has a difficult delivery. Did tiger make excuses? How about the Masters this year, loses after being close in final round. Has knee surgery a few days later. Did he ever blame the knee for the loss? Some people want to believe that Tiger can't lose without something being wrong, others want to find ways to tarnish what he does win. Tiger was asked to compare his knee to Ben Hogan's injury by some idiot in the media, and he laughed and said something like 'he was in the hospital and could barely walk,' he wasn't looking for sympathy. Tiger has to be one of the most polarizing athletes of modern times, if not of all time. No one but Tiger will ever know what the pain was like, so why speculate? Lets face it, we would all love to have won the U.S. Open, with or without a bad knee. Just my .02

Exactly what I was thinking. To all those who thought he was faking or milking it, what say you now?

I think he was faking or milking it. :clapping:

I think the World Rankings require a minimum number of events, and your points get divided by that number.

I suspect Tiger will be safely number 1 even at years end. His lead is huge and he has gained more points than he lost this year (from last years points reducing), so he can lose a few before they start to drag him back.

He is 11.4 points ahead of Phil, who is 4.4 ahead of Scott, then the next 10 are covered by one point, so anybody in 3rd or 4th dropping out will plummet fast, but Tiger and Phil have some insulation.

I had to laugh at that one!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I think his leg was worse than he let on. He'll be back in time for the next Buick Invitational at Torrey Pines!

Woods reportedly set to have season-ending knee surgery

ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 18, 2008, 11:28 AM ET

Tiger Woods has decided to have surgery on his left knee, which will end his 2008 season, according to a source close to Woods.

A report on the Golf Channel, citing unnamed sources, said Woods would have surgery on his ACL. It also said he suffered a small stress fracture in his left leg about two weeks before the U.S. Open.

Woods has arthroscopic surgery on his left knee two days after he finished second in The Masters in April.

He won the U.S. Open in a playoff over Rocco Mediate on Monday. He played much of the event in obvious pain.

Woods had committed to playing in the Buick Invitational next week. He hosts the AT&T National the week after at Congressional Country Club in Washington, D.C. The report said he would fulfill his obligations to sponsors at thos events.

He was also scheduled to play in the British Open in July and defend his PGA Championship title in August.

The Ryder Cup is set for September at Valhalla, just outside of Louisville, Ky.

OK to those in the know regarding sports and ACL problems...

What's the standard recovery time and will Tiger be able to come back 100% from a damaged ACL?

Will he be ready for the start of next season?

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

From Tiger's website:

Tiger Woods To Undergo Reconstructive Knee Surgery and Miss Remainder of 2008 Season

6/18/2008

Doctors assure Woods that long-term prognosis is very good with rehabilitation and training

Just days after winning the 2008 U.S. Open in a dramatic sudden-death playoff, Tiger Woods announced that he will be forced to undergo reconstructive Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) surgery on his left knee and will miss the remainder of the PGA TOUR season.

In addition to the knee surgery, Woods will require the time off to rehabilitate a double stress fracture of his left tibia that was discovered last month just prior to the Memorial Tournament. The stress fractures were attributed to Woods' intense rehabilitation and preparations for the U.S. Open. Doctors have assured Woods that the stress fractures will heal with time.

"I know much was made of my knee throughout the last week, and it was important to me that I disclose my condition publicly at an appropriate time. I wanted to be very respectful of the USGA and their incredibly hard work, and make sure the focus was on the U.S. Open," said Woods. "Now, it is clear that the right thing to do is to listen to my doctors, follow through with this surgery, and focus my attention on rehabilitating my knee."

A date for the knee surgery, as well as the necessary rehabilitation schedule, has not yet been determined.

"While I am obviously disappointed to have to miss the remainder of the season, I have to do the right thing for my long-term health and look forward to returning to competitive golf when my doctors agree that my knee is sufficiently healthy," said Woods. "My doctors assure me with the proper rehabilitation and training, the knee will be strong and there will be no long-term effects."

Woods originally ruptured the ACL in 2007 following The Open Championship when he was running at his home in Orlando. At that point, he elected to not have surgery, and instead attempted to play through the pain. Following the injury, Woods went on to win five of the next six events he entered, including the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational, the PGA Championship, the BMW Championship, the TOUR Championship and the Target World Challenge, while also finishing second at the Deutsche Bank Championship. He carried that streak over into 2008, winning his first four events of the year, the Buick Invitational, the Dubai Desert Classic, WGC-Accenture Match Play and the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

In the fall of 2007, Woods decided to forego a number of playing opportunities to allow the knee time to heal in preparation for the 2008 season. He still experienced pain early in 2008, however, and in an effort to allow him to play through the remainder of the season, elected to have arthroscopic surgery immediately following the Masters to clean out cartilage damage. The cartilage damage in fact developed as a result of the ACL injury, and Woods' hope was that the arthroscopic surgery would get him through the remainder of the season and allow him to delay the ACL surgery until after the season.

"My rehabilitation schedule after the arthroscopic surgery was designed with the goal of returning to play at the Memorial, but the stress fractures that were discovered just prior to the tournament unfortunately prevented me from participating and had a huge impact on the timing for my return," said Woods. "I was determined though, to do everything and anything in my power to play in the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines, which is a course that is close to where I grew up and holds many special memories for me. Although I will miss the rest of the 2008 season, I'm thrilled with the fact that last week was such a special tournament."

Tiger Woods, ranked number one in the world on the Official World Golf Ranking and leading the 2008 PGA Tour Money Leaders list, has 65 PGA TOUR victories to his credit, including 14 major championships, ranking him third all-time in wins, just eight behind Jack Nicklaus and 17 behind the all-time leader Sam Snead. This past week, Woods also celebrated his 500th week as the number one ranked player in the world, a position he first attained eleven years ago on June 15, 1997.

"I would like to thank my fans and partners for their continual support and can assure everyone that I will be as dedicated to rehabilitating my knee as I am in all other aspects of my career," said Woods

Updates on Woods' surgical and rehabilitation timelines will be provided at a later date once a schedule has been finalized.

Mark Steinberg

IMG