TIGER'S SEASON IS OVER (Merged)

lilhellmaker17

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, ACL reconstruction rehab time is about 9 months. Some have come back in 6 months (Ruud van Nistelrooy) but getting back to the standard you were playing at previously, I'd call that closer to 18 months.

This is the same injury Ernie Els had and he's only just started to get back to his old self - and some say that he'd pulling his driver because he doesn't want to load up on that knee. Post-Op rehab is agonizing for this surgery and the desire not to injure yourself again is phenomenal.

The only people that will quit watching golf are the folks who just watch Tiger, which is fine with golf fans.

It will be what golf was pre-Woods. Tiger brought in a new type of fan, a fan that will quit watching golf if Tiger isn't playing. The ratings were artificially inflated when Tiger joined the tour, and the ratings will artificially deflated when he's not playing.

The true golf fan will continue to watch golf, with Tiger or sans Tiger.

Tiger doesn't belong to golf as much as he belongs to fabric of the mainstream media.

It is a shame he's out this way, but the networks will latch onto the next big thing. We'll just get a better look at the players who have been neglected for the past 10 years.

Tiger unfortunately is paying the price for the swing mechanics, which always have been an issues with those who worried about his back.

He'll be back, we'll have to wait to see what he changes, and how good he'll be with the changes.

He had it coming (no offense, I'm a fan myself). Let's hope it's just a season-ending injury and not a career-ending one.

It's such a sad news. But then again, let's see what the golf world will bring without him. Hope other players step up and make this season a good one.

Good luck to TW and hope he recovers soon.

That's a shame. It's also a shame that so many people called him out saying he was faking it. Knee issues are nothing to joke about. If you've never had a knee surgery or injury, you have no clue. With the amount of torque he puts on that knee, it's no shock to me that it wasn't killing him out there.

In my opinion, this just makes his win even more impressive. I wish him well.

While he won't win the FedEx Cup, he could still win the Player of the Year and money title. That's pretty amazing. It was a great 5 months of golf for him.

Let's hope we see guys like Phil, Sergio or Adam Scott step up to the plate and give us something exciting to watch the rest of the year.

My prediction- Sergio wins the OPEN and Phil takes the PGA. Write that down.

A surgeon (knee) I play golf with called it on the nose Monday when we were playing. He even got the need for ACL reconstruction correct. I must remember to apologize for not believing the degree of seriousness involved. Now Tiger is worse off than Ernie Els because of the microfractures and broken leg which mandates ACL repair. Ernie didn't even snap his left leg like Tiger and look how long it has taken Ernie just to contend (2+ years). I guess Jack's records won't be that easily surpassed now. Too bad..

I was at Oakland Hills this morning and the collective groan was deafening....Sayonara trash and trinket sales (tickets were already gone--but many won't care now) at the PGA...

He might have the same injury as Ernie, but come on, Tiger and Ernie aren't the same. Tiger will come back just fine. He probably knew going into the Open what the aftermath was going to be win or lose. He will be back at the Masters next year and probably win. Plus Tiger has more drive and will in his bad left knee then Ernie has in his whole body.

OK to those in the know regarding sports and ACL problems...

What's the standard recovery time and will Tiger be able to come back 100% from a damaged ACL?

Will he be ready for the start of next season?

I think there is a huge difference between a partial tear and full tear (I had a full). 100% recovery is questionable (strictly pertaining to the ACL and joint stability, not his success in golf), but I suspect he'll be just fine.

On a side note..

I recently got fit for some custom orthodics and the Dr. told me something interesting. He said that many NFL teams are outfitting their entire teams with orthodics because of the benefit in preventing ACL injuries. Essentially, the way the foot plants has more to do with the injury than I thought and by changing the posture it reduces the shear forces on the knee joint (a good thing). If you watch much football, you'll notice that a lot of the ACL injuries are not caused by a hit.

Anyway, It would be interesting to know what Tiger's rehab plan is going to be.

well I guess I don't have to worry about watching any golf this summer...i'll just go out and play!

the next tournaments will be boring, who wants to see a tournament without the #1 golfer in the world not in it. if i was a player, i would be happy that i would actually get a chance to win but disappointed at the same time because even if they win it will be tainted with the knowledge that tiger didn't play.

o and one more thing....for those that thought tiger was faking/over reacting....insert foot in mouth, bow head in shame

The anti-Tiger crowd is so excited. Rather than want to see the best in the world compete against each other many are excited he is done for the year. How pathetic is that???

Greg

I am not sure it is an anti-Tiger crowd getting excited. This is big news and changes the whole season. I was looking forward to seeing him at Valhalla (getting beat by my fellow economic area continentals Europeans, naturally) and seeing if he could follow his old mate O'Meara to a Birkdale win.

But there is another side. Anybody winning an event which Tiger normally plays will get the old "If Tiger had been there .... " routine from the 'Tiger is God' brigade here.

Tiger has a large (and sometimes overzealous) fan base, but there certainly seem to be plenty of people here that believe he his the devil incarnate as well. :clapping:

I guess Goosen was wrong. He wasn't faking it. It was only worth it as he won a Major.

We will now get a peak at what the TV ratings will be like when Tiger is done. The TV networks have to be sh*tting in their pants right now.

Question is will he still be ranked #1 when he comes back. I have no idea what the formula is to determine the world rankings.

Exactly what I was thinking. To all those who thought he was faking or milking it, what say you now?

As a golfer who has played thru a couple surgeries on the left knee including acl, meniscus and micro fracture, I'd say no big deal. It is golf not football. What you should be talking about is how he got that stress fracture from working out in the gym. Eight weeks is plenty of time to recover from almost any knee injury other than an acl replacement or micro fracture. THe dude plays golf!

Has anyone heard where Tiger will have his ACL surgery? And who will be performing it?

I, for one, hope he goes to the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. With no disrespect to his existing doctors, HSS is the finest orthopaedic facility in the United States, if not the world. Miracles are performed there daily. I'm one of those people who had one performed on me.

My injuries were very similar to those sustained by former Oakland Raiders running back Napoleon McCallum. A major NY Metro Area teaching hosiptal said I needed three surgeries over 3-4 years, with no assurances I'd ever walk again. Thanks to Dr. Steve O'Brien at HSS, I walked 2 months after one surgery.

Good luck, Tiger. Have faith -- and rehab this hard.

Wonder who Sergio will blame when he doesn't win the Open or the PGA?

Wonder how stupid Woody Austin and Retief Goosen feel right now?

Makes me laugh when some of you question if he'll ever be back to form, he just won the U.S. Open basically on one leg! What the hell else does he have to do to prove that he isn't like all other professional athletes on the planet?

I am a little confused. Something doesn't add up. First, Hank Haney said Tiger didn't even walk on a golf course until the week before US Open (some course north of SD). Now it's announced that Tiger has ACL tear (makes sense with all the torques on the downswing), but stress fracture of the leg???? You need to run and run hard to get that.

But there is another side. Anybody winning an event which Tiger normally plays will get the old "If Tiger had been there .... " routine from the 'Tiger is God' brigade here.

Totally agree. Not only do I not see anyone "stepping up", wins will be scattered around to lots of different players, even if someone did "step it up" it's not really "stepping up" in a non-Tiger run of tournaments, is it?

It's okay though, good for other guys. I mean, does anyone seriously think PM, Els, and Scott are really capable of a strong run? Maybe Garcia....maybe. But beyond Tiger, there is too much parity on tour, so I don't see anyone dominating. It's another reason how amazing Vijay was a couple of years ago, but perhaps that was 'assisted' too.

He might have the same injury as Ernie, but come on, Tiger and Ernie aren't the same. Tiger will come back just fine. He probably knew going into the Open what the aftermath was going to be win or lose. He will be back at the Masters next year and probably win. Plus Tiger has more drive and will in his bad left knee then Ernie has in his whole body.

It is not the same injury as Ernie, it is worse than Ernies. Ernie did not have stress and microfractures of the leg at surrounding area. Nobody argues mentally he is tougher than Ernie et.al. but you can not will an injury to be fine. Only time will tell how close he can come back to his standards. You can't seriously believe that Tiger knew what the aftermath of playing in the Open would be... He is stubborn not stupid..

I'm sure the PGA has their fingers crossed because they now see the near future without their (argueably) only superstar. If he doesn't come back we will see the PGA return to its pre 1996 interest level and associated purse shrinkage.

It is great to feel he will be fine, but the fact remains only time will tell. I personally know several world class (amateur and pro) athletes (football, basketball, track, baseball, golf) that have had similar injuries that never came back to where they were before this surgery and those that did only did so for a short period of time (3-5 years is most I can recall)... Many of those were just as driven as Tiger to excel, unfortunately their bodies didn't respond to their mental toughness...Maybe Tiger can be the exception rather than the rule.. But given his penchant for working out and running it certainly isn't positive for the long run. It will be interesting to see his new swing without the left knee snap (which he went into at great lengths in his book as his secret move--I hope no young golfers are trying to duplicate it). So the speculation can now start on who his next teacher will be....Obviously neither Butch or Hank provided an option..

I am a little confused. Something doesn't add up. First, Hank Haney said Tiger didn't even walk on a golf course until the week before US Open (some course north of SD). Now it's announced that Tiger has ACL tear (makes sense with all the torques on the downswing), but stress fracture of the leg???? You need to run and run hard to get that.

What I read on the PGA TOur website said that the ACL was ruptured last year while he was running at his home after the Open. He decided not to have surgery. He continued to play and then after the Master's he had the knee scoped to clean out the damage in the knee. The stress factures came during the rehab process. I assume where he was rehabbing and with the ACL being blown out he put too much stress on the Tibia which cuased the stress fractures. He didn't do it walking a course. He didn't walk a full round until the first round.

I'm pretty sure an article I read said the stress fracture was from the intense therapy he was going through trying to get ready to play golf after he had it scoped. I tore/ruptured my ACL last summer playing basketball and they gave me a time table of 4-6 months to a return. I was back running full speed without a brace in 4 months and making cuts in about 5. I still wear a small brace when I play ball but it is more for the mental side of things than the physical. I don't think he will have any problem being back my the start of 09.