No gimmie.... NO GIMMIE!!! Stop touching my ball!!!!!

Hate when people do this.
Second time I've had this happen to me. I'm playing a round, got paired with a total stranger.

First hole, I putt to about a foot, he knocks my ball back to me and says, "That's alright, pick it up."

Second hole, I miss right a few inches, before he knocks it back, I say "I'll finish." He replies, "No, it's alright." And knocks it back.

I tell him I'm recording the scores for handicap purposes, and he says putting out just wastes time if I'm that close, and we need to keep pace of play.

I'm thinking in my head, next time he misses a putt,I'm gonna pull out a wedge and skull his ball towards the trees. Or better yet, next time he pulls out his ball grabber thing to pick up lost balls, I'm gonna s*** in his bag when he's not looking.

I ended up not even keeping the score. I faked a leg cramp and told him to go ahead after the 4th hole.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel for you. Even some of the people I play with regularly will attempt it now and then (as if I've changed my mind).

Best trick I've found - tell them you can't start the next hole till you hear the ball rattle in the cup. Something to do with OCD or whatever it is. Makes you sound about half mental which helps. I've actually had other people in the group agree with me after bringing it up.

Guess we're not alone.

I think it would depend on pace of play, and how crowded the course is. No money on the line, just you and another stranger... glad I'm not playing with or behind you. But if the course isn't crowded - no biggie. (and yes I know the rules of golf, and yes I also enter my scores.)

Rather interesting coincidence that there's a thread on here as well about how to combat slow play that addresses this very same affliction some folks have, confusing their leisure rounds with the final pairing in the US Open and making for a long day for the folks playing with and behind them.

Then again - maybe because we play in the first group off on Saturday's for over ten years now - and keeping or determining pace of play is part of our responsibility for being able to have that time, I might look at this in a different manner. (We are usually done in 3:30-3:40, so I'm spoiled) I would maybe take issue if it's backing folks up. At times common sense has to come into play.

But you guys on here are a bit more serious about your game, which you have to respect. But in talking to a friend who's a Pro who runs a course and sees Pace of Play as being a real key concern, he'll sit for hours and complain about this very thing. Again it's just common sense.

While you might think you are doing the right thing and have all the right reasons , on the other hand you can't expect every single person to not want to strangle you with their own putter over 18 holes. At least in our group this would last about 3 holes and then you would be tossed!

I think it would depend on pace of play, and how crowded the course is. No money on the line, just you and another stranger... glad I'm not playing with or behind you. But if the course isn't crowded - no biggie. (and yes I know the rules of golf, and yes I also enter my scores.)

Rather interesting coincidence that there's a thread on here as well about how to combat slow play that addresses this very same affliction some folks have, confusing their leisure rounds with the final pairing in the US Open and making for a long day for the folks playing with and behind them.

Then again - maybe because we play in the first group off on Saturday's for over ten years now - and keeping or determining pace of play is part of our responsibility for being able to have that time, I might look at this in a different manner. (We are usually done in 3:30-3:40, so I'm spoiled) I would maybe take issue if it's backing folks up. At times common sense has to come into play.

But you guys on here are a bit more serious about your game, which you have to respect. But in talking to a friend who's a Pro who runs a course and sees Pace of Play as being a real key concern, he'll sit for hours and complain about this very thing. Again it's just common sense.

While you might think you are doing the right thing and have all the right reasons , on the other hand you can't expect every single person to not want to strangle you with their own putter over 18 holes. At least in our group this would last about 3 holes and then you would be tossed!

I'm calling BS on this one. I was off in the second group every weekend at my old club. We putted out and we never had an issue with pace. Rarely did we approach 4 hours, and even then, we couldn't see the group behind us when we did.

Nowhere did he say he wanted to mark his ball, go through his routine, or wait for someone else to putt out. They were one and two feet. Those there I wuld just wakl up and knock them in. But I am knocking them in, and he wants to as well. That takes no more time than it does for the dufus who insisted on knocking them back to do that.

Plus, like the title of the thread said, why is the other guy touching his ball? If you want to talk common sense, explain to me how that is common sense at any time? That guy wouldn't last a hole with my group if he starts touching my ball.

Second time I've had this happen to me. I'm playing a round, got paired with a total stranger.

First hole, I putt to about a foot, he knocks my ball back to me and says, "That's alright, pick it up."

Second hole, I miss right a few inches, before he knocks it back, I say "I'll finish." He replies, "No, it's alright." And knocks it back.

I tell him I'm recording the scores for handicap purposes, and he says putting out just wastes time if I'm that close, and we need to keep pace of play.

I'm thinking in my head, next time he misses a putt,I'm gonna pull out a wedge and skull his ball towards the trees. Or better yet, next time he pulls out his ball grabber thing to pick up lost balls, I'm gonna s*** in his bag when he's not looking.

I ended up not even keeping the score. I faked a leg cramp and told him to go ahead after the 4th hole.

do you really feel the need to putt out a 3 inch putt every time???

have you ever missed a 3 inch putt???

i once had a guy do that to me, it was a 350 yard par 5, i smoke one down the fairway leaving me about 160 to the hole, so the guy is walking ahead of me, he picks my ball up off the fairway, turns around and tosses it to me sayin "its good boss", so i proceeded to get angry and swung a 4 iron into the ground mid-stride, the iron head flew off and almost decapitated my playing partner, so the same guy walks ahead of me, he picks up my 4 iron head up off the fairway, turns around and tosses it to me sayin "its good boss", you know what the worst part is, when he tossed me the ironhead, a sharp edge sliced through my stand bag spilling all of my clubs, ill tell you one thing, thats the last time ill ever pull driver on a par five, lesson learned

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

ASK me before touching my ball!

If someone hits my ball back to me before I've holes out I politely say, "I don't take gimmies, I've been known to miss really short putts so I like to putt everything."

It's a nice way of saying, "Don't touch my ball you jagbag!"

Since people are usually just trying to be nice I don't get mad but it's pretty annoying.

i once had a guy do that to me, it was a 350 yard par 5, i smoke one down the fairway leaving me about 160 to the hole, so the guy is walking ahead of me, he picks my ball up off the fairway, turns around and tosses it to me sayin "its good boss", so i proceeded to get angry and swung a 4 iron into the ground mid-stride, the iron head flew off and almost decapitated my playing partner, so the same guy walks ahead of me, he picks up my 4 iron head up off the fairway, turns around and tosses it to me sayin "its good boss", you know what the worst part is, when he tossed me the ironhead, a sharp edge sliced through my stand bag spilling all of my clubs, ill tell you one thing, thats the last time ill ever pull driver on a par five, lesson learned

Your post makes no sense...and I'm not sure I believe your story.

If it did happen, you could have just replaced the ball and explained that you don't want him doing that.

For those of you preaching pace of play, how long does it take the average player to hole out a 1 foot putt? I'm not talking about the slowest guy you know, I'm talking on average. 10 seconds or less? Over the course of 18 holes (if it happens every hole), you're talking about a whopping 3 minutes over the course of 4+ hours. Come on.

I can't stand for people to be knocking my ball back to me before I get to putt out. I've had guys "gimme" one and I still walk up and cup it. You either play by the rules or you don't.

I'll pick up anything that someone will give me, if they think I'm gonna make it then I'm gonna make it. Obviously its gotta be 3 feet and in, I'm not talking about from the fairway or 15 footer, 10 footer, 5 footer or whatever. Honestly I think its funny that it would even bother you, I can't imagine how many tantrums you throw on the course if you got mad at a guy for giving you a putt under a foot. I rarely play with people I don't know except in golf league and I give those guys 3 and 4 footers all day because I can't stand when someone is walking up to mark or tap in their ball and either have no clue where your line is or try to avoid it and step in it anyway.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I'll pick up anything that someone will give me, if they think I'm gonna make it then I'm gonna make it. Obviously its gotta be 3 feet and in, I'm not talking about from the fairway or 15 footer, 10 footer, 5 footer or whatever. Honestly I think its funny that it would even bother you, I can't imagine how many tantrums you throw on the course if you got mad at a guy for giving you a putt under a foot. I rarely play with people I don't know except in golf league and I give those guys 3 and 4 footers all day because I can't stand when someone is walking up to mark or tap in their ball and either have no clue where your line is or try to avoid it and step in it anyway.

The guy the OP was playing with was a stranger. He's not "giving" him anything.

The hole is over when the ball is in the cup. PERIOD.

Solution. . . . wait for him to drive off from the next tee and when u get to his ball pick it up and hand it to him, saying "I'll give u that for a 2" After a hole or 2 of this, he'll realise that he's only gonna hit 18 shots for his entire round with every 2nd shot being a "Gimme"and he will get the point!!!

' :swoon2:

Hate to see the reaction on that one...however I agree...just leave the ball alone...let the person play their game! I always say, "You can have that one if you want..." rather than assume anything or touch another person's ball. If you get behind then state we need to pick it up, etc. to quicken the pace.

For what it is worth it burns my butt as well when someone touches my ball...I have the advantage of being 6'3" and 270 so a quick dirty look ends any retort when I state I would like to putt it out.

Ken

Hmm...Today the bag will be...<br /><br />Cobra F9 or Ping 400 LST<br /><br />F9 w/ HZRD Yellow or 16* 3446-f-Matrix 8M2<br /><br />Cobra Baffler w/ HZRD<br /><br />Machine M2A Long Neck SS Copper Insert Hand Peened<br /><br />Mizuno MP-55 & MP-5 w/ SF 110 CW<br /><br />SRIXON 765/965 5-PW w SF i95 Stiff

I have had this happen to me as well. It threw me off for the entire round. In a 2 some I do not see how the 3-5 sec process of tapping in and picking up the ball would grind the entire pace of play down for the day. We all talk about sticking to the rules. In stroke play doesn't the ball need to be holed prior to scoring? I know we are not talking about a tournament but other posts complain of too many clubs, making a lie better ect.

Realist, good job with the fake cramp. I will have to try that the next time!!

The guy the OP was playing with was a stranger. He's not "giving" him anything.

The hole is over when the ball is in the cup. PERIOD.

Go play in tournaments or money games then and you have to hole everything out. If you're just out there for fun and keeping your "handicap" and you're gonna flip out about a putt thats a foot, hell even 18 inches then you got more problems then those on the golf course. I'll be honest, this has never happened to me...a complete stranger walking up and slapping my ball over to me. But if it did I would just say thanks and pick the ball up. I've never pick up someone elses ball but I have never had anyone tell me they'd rather tap in that 6 inch putt then have me tell them that its good.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I don't like gimmees either. The group I play with will do it sometimes. We play a fun match style game, 1 pt for low score on the hole and 1 point for lowest team score per hole. So from a match perspective gimmees are fine. But I'm playing stroke play as far as counting my score. I track stats to see how I'm doing. I never take or offer a gimmee. I guess i don't have that match play mentality.

Now if you are playing stroke play, your fellow competitor just earned himself a penalty. I want to say it's 2 strokes for moving your ball w/o authorization. Mention that to him if you feel like, just verify the rule and penalty first.

All you need to do is replace your ball and hole out. Actually you must if you are following the RoG. He should get the hint.

If you don't mind looking real anal about the rules, you can also drop the whole failure to hole out and if you tee off w/o correcting your mistake, it's a serious breech and you won't be able to enter your score for HCP purposes.

I don't necessarily like gimmees, especially when somebody slaps back a 2-3 footer, but putting out from 1 foot and in is just stupid. NOBODY misses those putts!! And yes, 90% of the time if it's hanging on the lip or 6 inches away, i'll knock it in left handed or with the toe of my putter, or whatever...but if somebody slaps back a 1 footer, I COULD NOT CARE LESS. I know that I have never missed a 1 foot putt in my entire life, so who cares!!

You should have punched him in the throat for that transgression. How dare he not follow the rules of golf!

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

1 footer and a 3incher? Give me break. Make sure you mark that thing and line it up.

1 footer and a 3incher? Give me break. Make sure you mark that thing and line it up.

That's a totally separate issue. People who mark close putts like that are a real problem and one of the major causes of SLOW PLAY.

If you have to mark a putt under a few feet than you probably shouldn't be on the course in the first place. The whole hand-eye coordination thing just isn't working for you!

defenition of a gimme: an agreement between two losers who cant putt. (got that from an old golf dictionary my wife gave me. It had some pretty funny defenitions)

i frequently tell people i am playing with, whom i dont know well, or at all that "that is good in OUR match." but i never presume to touch their ball.

While i dont disagree that its possible to make much ado about nothing when it is an extremely short putt, after being asked politely not to touch the op's ball his playing partner should have kept his hands off. Regardless of my personal opinion of the putt in question if they guy wants to putt it i would let him.

There must be a specific penalty under the rules of golf for picking up another player's ball.

Anyone know the exact rule???

Where's the "Rules Guy" when you need him?

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]