2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

No gimmie.... NO GIMMIE!!! Stop touching my ball!!!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's so much about "putting everything out" as it is about "let me decide if I putt out and don't slap back 1 footers back to me." This especially goes for someone you have never met before.

As far as gimmes and hoping to "get them in return" I don't think it's about that either, in this case.

If I'm paired up with a stranger, I really don't care what he does because we're not in competition and we're not really keeping track of eachother's scores- at least I'm not. I'll acknowledge a great hole (aka "Nice birdie") or what-not, but I'm not in a position to "give him" a putt and he's not in a position to "give me" a putt. We're just two people playing the course against ourselves.

Just my .02

I don't necessarily like gimmees, especially when somebody slaps back a 2-3 footer, but putting out from 1 foot and in is just stupid. NOBODY misses those putts!!

So does that mean I can go back and make the 70 I shot a 69, since I missed a one footer on the 17th hole. I could use the excuse that since I was trying to avoid a guy's line while I tapped it in, I should have taken the gimme.

I've spent all this time trying to break 70, and turns out I already have!!!

/sarcasm off

I love to play against people who take gimmies all the time on the golf course. In fact, I encourage them to do so when I'm playing with them. I do not take gimmies unless they are tap ins. The reason I love it is that these same folks have nice vanity handicaps and most often in competition can't make a 3-4 foot putt to save their lives. By the way, I always ask all the players in the group if they want the putt before I knock it back.

JUST DONT TOUCH MY BALL!

not for nothing guys, but were not playing for the US Open or the Masters. Now granted the guy shouldnt touch the ball but if I was playing in back of a guy who was putting everything out id go nuts. Especially on a busy golf course.

I don't think that's the cause of slow play. I hole out everything and usually play 18 in under three hours (walking).

Playing by the rules doesn't cause slow play.

I don't necessarily like gimmees, especially when somebody slaps back a 2-3 footer, but putting out from 1 foot and in is just stupid. NOBODY misses those putts!!

So does that mean I can go back and make the 70 I shot a 69, since I missed a one footer on the 17th hole. I could use the excuse that since I was trying to avoid a guy's line while I tapped it in, I should have taken the gimme.

/sarcasm off

wait....are you serious? you're having the "round of your life" and you're about to shoot in the 60's for the first time ever and you can't make a 1 foot putt.

SHAME!

/sarcasm off

You can really tell whos played tournament golf and who hasn't. If you're looking like a dumbass trying to tap in a 1 footer because you're straddling 2other players lines while avoiding anothers then just pick it up. Chances are you already stepped in someones line anyway trying to do the "right" thing. If I'm playing in a tournament and this situation happens then I'll jus mark intead of wasting time trying not to hit everyones lines and then doing it anyway.

Although I agree if I was playing with a stranger thats jus hitting my ball back to me anytime it ran up near the hole then I'd be ticked. But 6 inches....a foot....even 18 inches...seriously?

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

for argument's sake and for people worried about "scoring" and "making sure their handicap isn't messed up"...let's say that the "avid" amateur golfer posts 50-60 rounds of golf per year.

and let's say during those 50-60 rounds, they lag putts up to within 1 foot of the hole 350 times. I'm pretty sure that most people would make ALL 350 of them, but let's say that 5 TIMES out of 350 they miss that 1 foot putt.

now, if you go back and add 1 single stroke to every 10 rounds of golf, that MIGHT adjust your index by 0.01 points, which would ABSOLUTELY NEVER effect your handicap.

so let's stop the BS about people having illegitimate handicaps because they don't putt 1 foot putts every time!!!

the day that i miss a 1 foot putt (that i honestly TRY to make) i will quit golf.

...Another peeve - People who pick up your ball in the fairway/rough/bunker/green to identify it.
Grrrrrr...

Especially when you're telling them it's your ball.

I agree.....don't touch my ball.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Where did the one foot figure come into play here? You can tap those in with one hand and not step in anybody's line. Everybody putts out in my men's league or else you are DQ.

The informal rule that I've always heard for gimmes is putter length (three feet). Even pros average around 90% on these putts. I'm sure amateurs are far worse.

/sarcasm off

wait....are you serious? you're having the "round of your life" and you're about to shoot in the 60's for the first time ever and you can't make a 1 foot putt.

SHAME!

I had to make birdie at the last to shoot 70 so I wasn't guaranteed to shoot in the 60s at that point. I had run it to 12-18 inches away, and the there guy was putting from about a 35* angle from my ball(third guy was already in). Stepped up to avoid his line, but had to reach a little, and it pushed.

Probably would have been able to backhand it in if I was on tour like yourself.

My handicap was taking a big drop that day with that one stroke or not. It was about the score. No one can question that my score is legitimate. I holed everyone one of them out, even if doing so cost me a stroke because I didn't pick it up like you say I should have.

/sarcasm off

SHAME!

I had to make birdie at the last to shoot 70 so I wasn't guaranteed to shoot in the 60s at that point. I had run it to 12-18 inches away, and the there guy was putting from about a 35* angle from my ball(third guy was already in). Stepped up to avoid his line, but had to reach a little, and it pushed.

Probably would have been able to backhand it in if I was on tour like yourself.

My handicap was taking a big drop that day with that one stroke or not. It was about the score. No one can question that my score is legitimate. I holed everyone one of them out, even if doing so cost me a stroke because I didn't pick it up like you say I should have.

maybe you should have putted left handed (you couldn't have done any worse)

anyway, as i stated before, 90% of the time i knock in every short putt (whether it's 4" or 12") but that 10% of the time could be a variety of reasons...but if i was about to shoot my all time low score, i certainly wouldn't be giving myself 12-18" putts (nor would i want anybody giving them to me). so no, in your case, you should not have picked it up.

Just so you guys know, I don't currently have a handicap. I only started playing last year, and was keeping my recent scores to go toward a handicap.

Also, a short muni here in NYC costs $40 a round. I wasn't too happy about someone messing with my game if I'm gonna be dropping that much cash to get on a muni.

I wasn't marking. Pace of play wasn't even an issue considering it was 8 in the morning on a Wednesday.

Isn't the point of golf to get the ball in the hole? Not near the hole or in the general area around the hole? I don't know why anyone would be concerned with someone wanting to putt out every hole when pace of play isn't a problem. Just cause YOU don't want to wait 5 seconds for me to putt, doesn't mean I don't have the option to.

HEAR, HEAR!

Tenementrock's post could very well be the closing of this thread.

Agreed very good response

I will add that I used to be "that guy" and tap peoples balls back to them without them asking. Then one day after I started playing more seriously I started getting pissed when people did this to me, after that I no longer use the gimme approach. If you want to take the gimme on your own have at it, but it wont be me giving it back to you.

My thought is to each is own. My partners know that I am putting the ball down and will not touch it, when I play with strangers I will politley ask that they not conceed a gimme to me.

If you want to constantly have a gimme with a missable 2-3 foot putt, have at it and let me know when you want to get a skins game going.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

For those who don't want anyone touching their golf ball, I'm wondering if you'd be annoyed if someone in your group marked your ball for you (perhaps you're raking the hazard and you're in my putting line) to speed up play?

I imagine that's a rules violation, too, but a bit silly to go ballistic over that?

There must be a specific penalty under the rules of golf for picking up another player's ball.

Anyone know the exact rule???

Where's the "Rules Guy" when you need him?

18-4. By Fellow-Competitor, Caddie or Equipment in Stroke Play. If a fellow-competitor, his caddie or his equipment moves the player's ball, touches it or causes it to move, there is no penalty. If the ball is moved, it must be replaced.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

For those who don't want anyone touching their golf ball, I'm wondering if you'd be annoyed if someone in your group marked your ball for you (perhaps you're raking the hazard and you're in my putting line) to speed up play?

I imagine that's a rules violation, too, but a bit silly to go ballistic over that?

Someone marking my ball for me, and someone hitting my ball away from the hole when I'm not done playing, are two completely different things.

In the time I've been playing, it's never happened that I'm in someones way long enough for them to mark my ball for me. Even from a greenside bunker, the 5 or so seconds it takes to rake it, they're reading their putt. By the time I'm up there, I'd mark, and they're ready to hit.

HEAR, HEAR!

Tenementrock's post could very well be the closing of this thread.

I'm so with these guys.

You just don't get it, do you?

Someone marking my ball for me, and someone hitting my ball away from the hole when I'm not done playing, are two completely different things.

In the time I've been playing, it's never happened that I'm in someones way long enough for them to mark my ball for me. Even from a greenside bunker, the 5 or so seconds it takes to rake it, they're reading their putt. By the time I'm up there, I'd mark, and they're ready to hit.

I have to agree. There are cases where I am having to come up, or rake a bunker, and te other guy wil mark for me. That i have no issue with. *That* is keeping the pace of play up. He is marking so that he doesn't have to wait for me to mark. And they always ask.

Far, far different from "here you go and knock it back." Or like the last guy to do something to me, he just hit it. I had just hit a great chip, got it pretty close. The rattle is my reward.

I think this is a sickness with some people!

I play with some guys and they all know I don't take gimmies. Well one day my friend rakes my ball back to me from about 18 inches. Oh boy did I lose it! I motioned like I was going to take his head off. I felt a little bad, but he knows the deal. He said after " Jeez, I will never touch your ball again". Yes, that's all I wanted.

i once had a guy do that to me, it was a 350 yard par 5, i smoke one down the fairway leaving me about 160 to the hole, so the guy is walking ahead of me, he picks my ball up off the fairway, turns around and tosses it to me sayin "its good boss", so i proceeded to get angry and swung a 4 iron into the ground mid-stride, the iron head flew off and almost decapitated my playing partner, so the same guy walks ahead of me, he picks up my 4 iron head up off the fairway, turns around and tosses it to me sayin "its good boss", you know what the worst part is, when he tossed me the ironhead, a sharp edge sliced through my stand bag spilling all of my clubs, ill tell you one thing, thats the last time ill ever pull driver on a par five, lesson learned

Your post makes no sense...and I'm not sure I believe your story.

If it did happen, you could have just replaced the ball and explained that you don't want him doing that.

LOL thats some funni s***. but ur right it doenst make sense

in all seriousness, i guess it works both ways. i usually give myself "gimmes" and i also keep a handicap. i guess u can say thats cheating but when u always get paired with douchebags who play slow as s***, u gotta remember to keep pace.