Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

i watched Playing With The Pros last night on TGC and Daly was wearing jeans. They actually didnt look that bad though cuz they were really dark and loose fitting. i on the other hand have never, and will never wear jeans on the course (my clubs do not allow them). but it doesnt bother me if someone else does.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to wear jeans and t-shirts on permitted courses which conveys the bum look. What's even better is I normally play as a single and love the reaction of the 3 strangers as I join them. Although, they may find it funny and provides them some source of conversation for the first few holes, that usually disappears quickly when they see my game and get their a_ _es kicked.

Handicap:  3

I like to wear jeans and t-shirts on permitted courses which conveys the bum look. What's even better is I normally play as a single and love the reaction of the 3 strangers as I join them. Although, they may find it funny and provides them some source of conversation for the first few holes, that usually disappears quickly when they see my game and get their a_ _es kicked.

And then you wake up.....

LOL That's hilarious! Nothing would suck worse than getting your butt kicked by some guy wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

I don't come from a waspy, country club background, and as much as I love the game, that syrupy golf-course-as-church stuff makes me gag. That said, not comfortable or light enough to play in. Couldn't care less about what other people wear, though. How could they look any worse than plaid pants and white belts?

Golf for me is about enjoyment as long as you aren't breaking any course rules you're fine. I don't think you should wear jeans filled with holes, but I have seen some people wear some visually offensive clothing on the course. Consider jeans "blue slacks with fancy pockets" if it makes you feel better. Denim is a rugged cotton twill textile. The word comes from the name of a sturdy fabric called serge, originally made in Nîmes, France, by the Andre family. Originally called serge de Nîmes, the name was soon shortened to denim.[2] Denim was traditionally colored blue with indigo dye to make blue "jeans," though "jean" then denoted a different, lighter cotton textile; the contemporary use of jean comes from the French word for Genoa, Italy (Gênes), where the first denim trousers were made.

These are OK but jeans aren't? golfer%2002.jpg

And then you wake up.....

Correct - once I made my albatross, you patted my shoulder, I can back out of my trance and we walked to the next tee.

Handicap:  3

My club does not allow jeans anywhere on the property. Nor would I belong to a club that does.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM10 54° D, 60° D, Mitsubishi MMT 80s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

Unless its required, than why the hell not? I wear shorts 95% of the time I play golf, but would not hate on anyone wearing jeans. i can see if a guy has tore up jeans and a wife beater on, but rocking a nice pair of jeans and slick polo is cool. I wear scrubs to the range sometimes when I come straight from work ,so take that suckas :)

Personally, I never wear jeans and until a few years ago, I never saw jeans on the golf course.My home course is a $98 per round public course. Once the temperature drops it seems 50% of the guys out there are wearing jeans.It's not against club policy so I don't care...I just find it interesting.
It's definitely O K to wear jeans at night, when the course is closed and their just wandering around........      If its that cold, I would just layer: long johns, slacks, wind/rain gear.  This is a gentlemens game and proper attire is required.  This is coming from a guy that will wear shorts and a Tshirt to a client meeting! :)  lol

It's a mixed bag for me. I voted yes I wear jeans because I have on occasion. Golf was a game I picked up kinda on my own. I didn't have anyone with me to explain tradition or ettiquette. So i played in jeans and tshirts alot when I started out.

Nowadays I do a bit better. I've been wearing khaki shorts during the warmer months and collared golf shirts are my normal work attire albeit with jeans. So I was changing into jeans to go to work after my early morning rounds since we can't wear shorts at work.

I find that I don't like playing in jeans. They are too hot and I feel a bit restricted, being overweight doesn't help.

I don't really care if others wear jeans on the course. There is no tradition of the game built into my psyche, don't flame me, it's just how I got into the game. There are no golfers in my family etc. I do try to meet the dress codes at the courses I do play though.

I wish that I could play a round dressed like Payne Stewart(sp?). I think that would be fun and the look on my golf buddies faces would be priceless but I don't have the game for it. If I was a single digit capper I'd consider it. But I'm not and it would make me stand out even more then my bad game makes me.

Most practices that would be included in proper golf etiquette serve a practical purpose: fixing divots and ball marks, raking sand traps, yelling fore, etc.

Insistence on slacks and a collared shirt serve no practical purpose. This kind of dress code is a relic of golf as it was, a recreational spectacle for elitist old rich white men. It is an archaic practice that is purely aesthetic in an activity that is supposed to be a SPORT, a physical activity requiring physical exertion which involves sweat and dirt and which should at the very least not alienate those who choose apparel that is practical and comfortable for them.

I can't imagine anyone ever throwing a fit over someone else wearing jeans in a pickup basketball or football game. There should be no stigma against anyone stopping at a golf course on a random afternoon and playing a quick nine in whatever they happen to be wearing that day.

Personally, I don't remember the last time I wore slacks on the course. I think the last time was when I last played on a Monday at the club where I used to caddy. Other than that, I always wear a pair of basketball shorts or some other kind of light, breathable athletic pants. And 9 times out of 10 I'm wearing a plain white tshirt.

As long as we have the majority of golfers insisting on a dress code, the validity of golf as a true sport will always be debated by society in general.

Insistence on slacks and a collared shirt serve no practical purpose. This kind of dress code is a relic of golf as it was, a recreational spectacle for elitist old rich white men.

As long as we have the majority of golfers insisting on a dress code, the validity of golf as a true sport will always be debated by society in general.

I couldn't disagree with this line of thinking more. And the second point doesn't even make a lot of sense.

Having a dress code that insists on perfectly practical and easily achievable standards of dress is neither detrimental to the game nor something that ranks as some sort of elitist or outmoded anachronism. It's just a reasonable effort to maintain some standards in the game and to place it apart from other sports as something that demands a little effort on the part of its participants - who are generally accepted to play the game and behave on the course in a manner that, to coin a phrase, is a cut above. That's not elitism. It's having some pride in yourself and your sport and doing your little bit to preserve the image of the game as something that's held in high esteem by most.

It's not a dress code that's reliant on having lots of money; nor is it a dress code that's in any way unreasonable. There are many examples of needless and onerous regulations at the average golf club, but asking for a particular and easily achieved standard of dress on the course and in the clubhouse isn't one of them. Buying a pair of trousers is no more expensive than buying a pair of jeans. And it takes no more effort to pull them onto your legs before you play. Frankly, it takes more effort to argue a case for not having to wear trousers than it does to just put the things on and get on with your round.

I don't know anyone who doesn't consider golf a sport. I've met a couple of people who were at pains to argue that it wasn't a 'proper' sport, but the idea that golfers wear silly or outdated clothing wasn't among their reasons for arguing.

My club doesn't allow jeans or non-golfing attire anywhere on the property. Simple as that. And none of the members have any reason to argue against the policy. We spend most of our time playing golf, rather than thinking up hair-brained ideas why we shouldn't have to wear what we're told we have to wear when we signed up for membership of the club just because we think we shouldn't have to.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Insistence on slacks and a collared shirt serve no practical purpose. This kind of dress code is a relic of golf as it was, a recreational spectacle for elitist old rich white men.

I couldn't disagree with this line of thinking more. And the second point doesn't even make a lot of sense.

Having a dress code that insists on perfectly practical and easily achievable standards of dress is neither detrimental to the game nor something that ranks as some sort of elitist or outmoded anachronism. It's just a reasonable effort to maintain some standards in the game and to place it apart from other sports as something that demands a little effort on the part of its participants - who are generally accepted to play the game and behave on the course in a manner that, to coin a phrase, is a cut above. That's not elitism. It's having some pride in yourself and your sport and doing your little bit to preserve the image of the game as something that's held in high esteem by most.

It's not a dress code that's reliant on having lots of money; nor is it a dress code that's in any way unreasonable. There are many examples of needless and onerous regulations at the average golf club, but asking for a particular and easily achieved standard of dress on the course and in the clubhouse isn't one of them. Buying a pair of trousers is no more expensive than buying a pair of jeans. And it takes no more effort to pull them onto your legs before you play. Frankly, it takes more effort to argue a case for not having to wear trousers than it does to just put the things on and get on with your round.

I don't know anyone who doesn't consider golf a sport. I've met a couple of people who were at pains to argue that it wasn't a 'proper' sport, but the idea that golfers wear silly or outdated clothing wasn't among their reasons for arguing.

My club doesn't allow jeans or non-golfing attire anywhere on the property. Simple as that. And none of the members have any reason to argue against the policy. We spend most of our time playing golf, rather than thinking up hair-brained ideas why we shouldn't have to wear what we're told we have to wear when we signed up for membership of the club just because we think we shouldn't have to.

Do you still have to wear a coat and tie in the clubhouse I agree what is the point?

You see, the fact of the matter is that golfers are NOT a cut above. That is a misnomer borne out of the fact that there are certain rules of etiquette that actually serve a practical purpose and are required in order to maintain the condition of the playing field as well as the safety and enjoyment of your fellow golfers.

It is exactly the attitude of self importance and superiority that is elitist; yes the dress code is not difficult to abide by and the articles required for it are not difficult to attain, but you don't have to be elite, per se, to be elitist.

We are in no way superior to people who play basketball, football, baseball/softball, soccer, tennis, etc., except for the fact that we have chosen to play a superior, more difficult, more involved game.

Golf is a game, a game played by people, increasingly more and more regular people, which is a GOOD thing. I think many of you need to look yourselves in the mirror and ask yourselves if you are happy with a proliferation of this game and the legions of unwashed masses that this will bring onto golf courses; I personally think it is great (however things need to be done about pace of play).

It would be futile to argue that the institution of golf has not been elitist throughout much of the 20th century. And it is the institution of golf, not the game itself, that requires the dress code. The only value added by forcing me to wear slacks is to 1.) help reinforce the self perception of traditionalists as being a cut above the rest of society, and 2.) to add to the revenue of my dry cleaners because I have to wash the mud off my slacks every time I wear them on the golf course.

I am not going to defy the dress code if I am playing at a private club out of respect, however if I joined a club I would take every opportunity to encourage a relaxation of the dress code. On the munis that I typically play I would never, ever wear slacks over athletic pants. And people who feel they need to dress up for the driving range are out of their minds.

And for the record, I think golf is a sport. But obviously you have not spoken on that with enough people, because there are plenty out there who think it is not a sport.

I think it's really funny that some people get so worked up because of something OTHER people are doing. Something that doesn't affect them unless they let it.

My guess is that it's easy to get in the heads of the people who care about what others are doing. That's not good when it comes to a competitive game/sport like golf.

Ive never worn jeans to a golf course but I might...seeing how it really gets in the head of some people. :P

It sounds like there are a couple of people with whom I'm never going to see eye to eye on this.

I was simply brought up to believe that a certain standard of dress is appropriate on the golf course. Simple as that. Golf means making an effort. I wouldn't go to a funeral in a tracksuit and I don't go to the golf course in anything that's not appropriate.

I'm not in any way against golf becoming more popular - on the contrary in fact, and I think anything that can be done to make the game more accessible is a good thing. When I first started out in the game, private golf courses were fearsome places where a wrong word or any sort of slip-up would invariably lead to some ovebearing character giving you the third degree. That's a peculiarity of a lot of 'establishment' golf courses over here, and the fact that many members and club officials tolerate it (and in some cases encourage it) is very much something that hinders the development of the game and which needs to be stamped out. Huge egos are a separate issue from something as reasonable and innocuous as dresscode though.

A relaxation of dress codes, just so that the minority (about 20% according to this poll alone) can wear what they see fit because of some perceived social sleight or invented practical reason simply doesn't fit into that line of thinking. There are many things that make the average private club (particularly the very 'old fashioned' and traditional English clubs like the one at which I play golf) unappealing to golfers and which are more than a touch pretentious and anachronistic. Would you settle for a dress rule that requires the wearing of a cravat in the gentlemens' bar? Thought not. And a lot of people at my place thought similarly. It really was a proper throwback and something that was unnecessary and ridiculous in this day and age. There was no clamouring for the right to wear jeans on the fairways though.

Ultimately, if you're prepared to toe the line, dress-wise, when you visit my club, you and anyone else are very welcome. If you're expecting to find much support for your Denim Army you'll struggle though.

To the average member at my place the Freedom For Jeans-Wearing Golfers crusade is ranting on about a solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist. We just wear our trousers and collared shirts and get on with playing golf - instead of spending time looking for excuses why we shouldn't be.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Well done, Mat - your views are, as usual, spot-on.

I must admit that this seems to be the same issue as those who insist on wearing baseball caps whilst in the clubhouse - it's just not the done thing. Having recently viewed the Scotty Cameron blog, I was shocked to see how many gentlemen thought nothing of wearing a cap indoors - even at dinner. I wonder if they have any idea how disrespectful this is to us folks in the UK? The same goes for jeans.