Top Flite FREAK

Tupperwolf

Holy ****
The other day I found a Freak on the course and put it in my bag. It came out after I lost a ball and I was surprised by the length of the drive I hit with it on the 18th hole.

The next day I put it in play again. Today I went and bought a dozen! I am simply astonished by this golf ball!! I am NOT exaggerating when I say that I hit drives up to 50 yards longer than I have ever hit one of the premium balls I usually play. I have been trying to drive the #2 green at my home course for a year now and always coming up short, to about the 90 yard mark. Today a smooth swing put the ball 10 feet just short and right of the green from where I had an easy chip and putt for birdie. I found spots on the course I never imagined myself being in!

Even the irons have picked up distance; Nearly a full club. My 3 iron from a tee goes nearly as far as my 3 wood with a spinnier ball (I've been playing Z-Stars and TP Reds). PW is like a 9.

The icing on the cake is that they stop great on the greens from the irons and feel just fine on the putter. A little less spin with the wedges, as you'd expect, but they honestly respond very well to short game shots. I tend to stop shots with height rather than spin anyway, so they work great for me.

I simply can't believe how much longer these balls are than the balls I'm used to playing with; And they work so well for the rest of the game that they've changed the way I look at the course after only 2 days of putting them in play. If you haven't tried the FREAK, give them a shot... Prepare to be surprised!

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear on my life! I know I have hit plenty of different balls solidly with good swings on certain straightaway par 4's at my home course and NEVER come close to hitting a green, NEVER. I have never come closer than about 60 yards out. With this ball I put the ball 10 feet off the green on two different holes. I for one hate exaggerated distance claims online which is why I feel a little foolish claiming 50 yard gains but I have never experienced a ball that went so significantly further than the Pro V1s, TP Reds, and Srixons I have been playing!

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

if in fact you have hit a drive 50 yds. longer with the Freak than any drive you have ever hit before, it still does not follow that the ball is solely responsible for that much gain in distance. it can't be the sole reason, because no ball is 50 yds. longer than another ball. assuming that the wind or cart path wasn't a factor, i'm willing to bet that a) you pured that drive better than any drive you've hit before, and b) you're swinging your driver w/ a more positive AoA than you had in the past. on top of that, good results beget confidence, which begets better golf swings. basically, it's a perfect storm of happy coincidences. you happened to pure a drive with a ball you find, and continue to play well after that.

so the long and short of it is this--the ball certainly has done you some good, but it isn't just the ball.

I've started playing Top Flite again since they introduced the D2. But I play the Gamer and D2 Feel as I like the soft ball, my Driver SS = 92. I don't like harder balls and have never teed up a Freak, but you've peaked my interest, I may try some this weekend but like everyone else in this thread I think a ball that is properly matched to your swing will yield +7 - 10 yards max.

The other day I found a Freak on the course and put it in my bag. It came out after I lost a ball and I was surprised by the length of the drive I hit with it on the 18th hole.

The next day I put it in play again. Today I went and bought a dozen! I am simply astonished by this golf ball!! I am NOT exaggerating when I say that I hit drives up to 50 yards longer than I have ever hit one of the premium balls I usually play. I have been trying to drive the #2 green at my home course for a year now and always coming up short, to about the 90 yard mark. Today a smooth swing put the ball 10 feet just short and right of the green from where I had an easy chip and putt for birdie. I found spots on the course I never imagined myself being in!

Even the irons have picked up distance; Nearly a full club. My 3 iron from a tee goes nearly as far as my 3 wood with a spinnier ball (I've been playing Z-Stars and TP Reds). PW is like a 9.

The icing on the cake is that they stop great on the greens from the irons and feel just fine on the putter. A little less spin with the wedges, as you'd expect, but they honestly respond very well to short game shots. I tend to stop shots with height rather than spin anyway, so they work great for me.

I simply can't believe how much longer these balls are than the balls I'm used to playing with; And they work so well for the rest of the game that they've changed the way I look at the course after only 2 days of putting them in play. If you haven't tried the FREAK, give them a shot... Prepare to be surprised!

Is it possible you're in a phase where you are striking the ball consistently in the middle of the club face? We all have days when we're hitting the ball better than others but 50 yards from a ball alone would make that ball the biggest game changer in quite a while.

Do not worry about the haters. I am a clubfitter & I have seen 40 yards gained by a ball change many times. If the ball fits your swing speed better & hits the round on a shallower path then you can pick up alot of yards. If your swing produces too much spin & that ball brings your spin down to a reasonable level you will increase your carry yardage. These guys have no actual experience with ball fittings so they are speaking form their bottoms. It is not unrealistic to pick up yards from the best ball for your swing. I personally picked up 25 yards when the tour i came out & I just switched to the B330-S & I picked up another 6 yards. My swing speed is over 110mph. I love that B330-S. Best ball I have played yet. Play that Freak & enjoy this wonderful game.

Do not worry about the haters. I am a clubfitter & I have seen 40 yards gained by a ball change many times. If the ball fits your swing speed better & hits the round on a shallower path then you can pick up alot of yards. If your swing produces too much spin & that ball brings your spin down to a reasonable level you will increase your carry yardage. These guys have no actual experience with ball fittings so they are speaking form their bottoms. It is not unrealistic to pick up yards from the best ball for your swing. I personally picked up 25 yards when the tour i came out & I just switched to the B330-S & I picked up another 6 yards. My swing speed is over 110mph. I love that B330-S. Best ball I have played yet. Play that Freak & enjoy this wonderful game.

40!=50. and i have a hard time with the 40 number being solely attributable to a ball change. Golf Magazine tested a bunch of golf balls not too long ago. at a 90 mph SS, there was only a 15 yd difference between the longest ball (a TM TP Black, IIRC) and the shortest ball (Nike One Platinum). this was done by an Iron Byron to ensure that only the ball was responsible for the change in distance.

human golfers, OTOH, aren't nearly as consistent as an Iron Byron. i also think that professional ball fitting is bollocks for the most part. not to mention that i firmly believe that a ball should be selected starting with the green first.

there are hard limits on distance performance for today's golf balls. there's a reason why at the tour level (the players who have seen the greatest distance gains), average driving distance has been pretty much flat for the last 5 years.

when you see a 40 yd. gain for a player, there are other factors at work besides the ball. there's the fact that the ball you choose may well be a better ball for that person. we can attribute 10-15 yds max solely to the ball. so where does the other 25 yds. come from? well, it has been said time and again that golf is 90% mental. if a golfer believes that something works better, it *will* work better far more often than not. confidence is an amazing game-improvement tool, and so is belief. the first smack, he hits that ball 10 yds. further. now he's pumped, feeling good. all of a sudden, he's more relaxed and feeling really good, and he pures it--there's your 40 yd gain. golf is one area where placebo can really work wonders sometimes.

I"m usually a prov1x player and the other day I used a titleist NXT tour and I was just about a full club longer on irons. I tend to put a lot of spin on my iron shots and hit the ball very high so with a lower spinning ball I didn't get the balloon effect. Have to say it was nice.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

once the new ball smell wears off you be human again just like us, did you forget to mention the 20 mph gust behind you :)

J/J

Titleist TSi3 Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 910F UST Mamiya Black

Titleist 910H UST Mamiya Red
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

there's no way a ball change produces any signifigant yardage difference

the best ball for your swing vs the worst ball for your swing would be 10 yards max difference, I've hit a bunch of different balls, and have yet to see a noticeable difference in the resulting distance.

hitting the perfect shot, that bounces off an unseen sprinkler head can produce an extra 25 yards compared to a normal shot, but a ball change will not.

Maybe somebody slipped a Hammer driver in your bag and you didn't notice! POWWWWWWWWWWWWW

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

I am NOT exaggerating when I say that I hit drives up to 50 yards longer than I have ever hit one of the premium balls I usually play.

yes you are. no ball (legal or illegal) is 50 yds. longer than another ball, not even if you're comparing a Condor with a Titleist balata ball.

I notice you usually sweep in with a downer comment. That being said, lol at 50 yards longer, c'mon, I'm curuious about the Gamer and Freak Top Flite balls, but 50 yards? There is a big difference between 250 and 300, a huuuuge difference.

there's no way a ball change produces any signifigant yardage difference

the best ball for your swing vs the worst ball for your swing would be 10 yards max difference, I've hit a bunch of different balls, and have yet to see a noticeable difference in the resulting distance.

hitting the perfect shot, that bounces off an unseen sprinkler head can produce an extra 25 yards compared to a normal shot, but a ball change will not.

I have a 25 yard difference between the Nike Platinum and the Bridgestone RX/Z-star on average. I find it very hard to believe that YOU can hit all the different golf balls out there and only find a 10 yard difference?

I have hit the Freak and think it is the longest ball off the tee I have ever hit, keep in mind I hit a high ball with too much back spin normally so the Freak flattens that out a little for me. But unless you are playing soft greens they tend to roll out to much for me. Great Scramble ball!

Oh yea..... Swing speed = 108 mph

Maybe he just plays on a firm course. Optimizing the last third of trajectory, and ultimately roll out, is a very tricky thing to predict. A better landing angle, which can be hard to detect without something like a trackman, can easily add 25+ yards of roll. On an especially hard course, on a good ballstriking day (considering the average amateur loses a lot of distance goign offline), I don't think 50 yards is impossible.

speaking of the Hammer, it is rather ironic that Adams has released the Speedline, touting the gains in swing speed due to aerodynamic design. aerodynamic head design for increased swing speed started with the Hammer (at least those claims started with the Hammer). i wonder if Jack Hamm will sue Adams Golf, lol.

Don't compare any real design engineering with the Hammer. The Hammer was NOT designed for aerodynamics. Their advertising department made you (yes, you) believe that they considered that, but any reputable aerodynamicist would determine that no thought went into that design after about a good 1/2 second of thought. Many rocks have better aerodynamics than that thing.

Don't compare any real design engineering with the Hammer. The Hammer was NOT designed for aerodynamics. Their advertising department made you (yes, you) believe that they considered that, but any reputable aerodynamicist would determine that no thought went into that design after about a good 1/2 second of thought. Many rocks have better aerodynamics than that thing.

uh . . . i never thought the Hammer was designed for anything besides preying on ppl who don't know better. besides the sarcasm which you clearly missed, it *is* ironic that a legitimate OEM is touting aerodynamic head design for increased SS, a marketing tactic that Jack Hamm employed 4 years ago with the Hammer.