2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Can a 4-handicap man beat an LPGA pro?

There's also another explanation why a "4" would suddenly shoot 100 in competition. During their casual rounds, they could be taking mulligans, incorrect drops and 5 foot gimmes. They get a rude awakening when they enter a comp.

The issue of vanity handicaps is another issue entirely. The issue of the effect of competition on differentials is more important, but still a different issue, and very difficult to quantify.

Just keep it simple, and assume that the LPGA is a scratch or slightly better index, vs. a legit 4 index. Now refer to post #1925 a couple of pages back. It's just math, and pretty straightforward, really.

You make some good points but a 4 can beat a scratch player occasionally if very infrequent. I think Obee who is a +1 said he got beat by a 2 handicap gross by 1 shot.

Vanity handicaps maybe another issue entirely but I get the feeling posters who are adamant 4's have absolutely no hope and will shoot 110 under pressure are talking about vanity 4's.

If a genuine 4 can shoot his handicap or lower 1 out of 4 times and he catches the LPGA player on a bad day then it's possible. The 100th ranked LPGA player has shot over par 5 of her last 16 rounds including a 78 and 80.

Lower ranked LPGA players are not immune to high scores otherwise they wouldn't be low ranked.

I'm not sure what you're looking at for the above info. The current 100th ranked LPGA pro has played in six tournaments so far this year, making the cut only once. Her WORST two rounds of the year are 75 and 76, and her scoring average is 72.2, with 8 rounds under par and two in the 60's.

I'll repeat that: with a scoring average of 72.2, she has made ONE cut so far this year. And in that tournament she shot 70-67-71-71 for a T23 finish at -9.

THAT is the 100th ranked LPGA player. How would SHE do against a 4 index?

http://www.lpga.com/players/madelene-sagstrom/98642/results

Madelene Sagstrom. Pure Silk Bahamas Classic 1/26/17, (80,77)

Good luck beating her

From her bio:

2016 in a Nutshell

Symetra Player of the Year and Gaelle Truet Rookie of the Year

Set the single-season earnings record $167,064) with three wins and 12 top-10 finishes, which is also a single-season record

Finished in the top-five in 11 of 15 starts on the Symetra Tour

Led the Tour in scoring average (70.340), 10th in greens in regulation (72.1%) and second in average driving distance (277.454)

Held the top spot on the Volvik Race for the Card monely list from April through the end of the season

Qualified for the U.S. Women's Open, finishing T46

Mentor is 11-time European Tour winner Robert Karlsson

Amateur Highlights:

2015 SEC Player of the Year at LSU and a finalist for the ANNIKA Award

Winner of the French International Open in 2011

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Good luck beating her

From her bio:

2016 in a Nutshell

Set the single-season earnings record $167,064) with three wins and 12 top-10 finishes, which is also a single-season record

Led the Tour in scoring average (70.340), 10th in greens in regulation (72.1%) and second in average driving distance (277.454)

Held the top spot on the Volvik Race for the Card monely list from April through the end of the season

Amateur Highlights:

Not saying she's a hacker but if the 4 caught her on a weekend that she shot 77, 80 then he might have a chance.

It should be noted also that LPGA courses are dumbed down due to the lack of depth in the competition. The average is around 6300 yards,the pins are rarely tucked and greens not that fast. Such courses might only be rated 71 for a scratch male player.

http://www.lpga.com/...m/98642/results

Sagstrom is 106, not 100.

And those two rounds in the Bahamas shocked everybody on the LPGA Tour, I assure you. Sagstrom pretty much dominated the Symetra Tour last year, and her worst round since the Bahamas is a 75. She was +11 for two rounds in the Bahamas; she is -12 since. Read her bio and see what you think.

Really, I'm glad you used her as an example because she's one of the LPGA players I know a lot about. She won last year on the course where my son is the assistant superintendent, and I can absolutely guarantee you that she ain't losing to a 4 handicap!

Good luck beating her

From her bio:

2016 in a Nutshell

Amateur Highlights:

Not saying she's a hacker but if the 4 caught her on a weekend that she shot 77, 80 then he might have a chance.

It should be noted also that LPGA courses are dumbed down due to the lack of depth in the competition. The average is around 6300 yards,the pins are rarely tucked and greens not that fast. Such courses might only be rated 71 for a scratch male player.

Courses so far this year have averaged closer to 6600.

However, to your point i have two comments. First, based on equivalent distances hit the 6300 course would be 7411 on the PGA tour. Too short? Second, IF the course rating was just 71 the 4 handicap would AVERAGE about 78 and would only shoot 75 or better a quarter of the time.

Carry on

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

Good luck beating her

From her bio:

2016 in a Nutshell

Amateur Highlights:

I don't know what to tell you about this, except that you are wrong. The average yardage is more like 6500, the greens are NOT slow, the pins are set up the standard way (6 easy, 6 medium, 6 difficult). The Symetra Tour will play at just above 6500 next week, and the course rating will be just above par; the LPGA plays tougher courses and tougher setups.

I think the issue we are having is that you want 4's to frequently be better than they are, and you want LPGA players to frequently be worse than they are, and you want it to happen on the same day.

Good luck beating her

From her bio:

2016 in a Nutshell

Amateur Highlights:

Courses so far this year have averaged closer to 6600.

However, to your point i have two comments. First, based on equivalent distances hit the 6300 course would be 7411 on the PGA tour. Too short? Second, IF the course rating was just 71 the 4 handicap would AVERAGE about 78 and would only shoot 75 or better a quarter of the time.

Carry on

The longest would be 6600, not average. Some smaller tournaments would be 6200. Maybe 10 years ago they were averaging 6600. They have made courses easier in recent years. 6200 yard courses would probably rate 70 for a scratch male player.

Good luck beating her

From her bio:

2016 in a Nutshell

Amateur Highlights:

I don't know what to tell you about this, except that you are wrong. The average yardage is more like 6500, the greens are NOT slow, the pins are set up the standard way (6 easy, 6 medium, 6 difficult). The Symetra Tour will play at just above 6500 next week, and the course rating will be just above par; the LPGA plays tougher courses and tougher setups.

I think the issue we are having is that you want 4's to frequently be better than they are, and you want LPGA players to frequently be worse than they are, and you want it to happen on the same day.

Courses getting easier is not just my opinion.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/randall-mell/randalls-rant-time-lpga-courses-get-tough/

Courses rated 72 for a scratch male player are usually in the 6700 yard range

This is a statement of opinion by you. I am telling you as a statement of fact that next weekend the Symetra Tour will be playing a course at just under 6600 that has a course rating of 72.1. I know the course well; I've played it many, many times and I don't think I've ever broken 80 there. -8 won last year when the Symetra Tour was there.

Good luck beating her

From her bio:

2016 in a Nutshell

Amateur Highlights:

Courses getting easier is not just my opinion.

http://www.golfchann...rses-get-tough/

This article is one other guy's opinion. And he says in the article that ONE course has been below 6600 yds this year, but says that Golf Channel staffers don't think so...

Really?

This is a statement of opinion by you. I am telling you as a statement of fact that next weekend the Symetra Tour will be playing a course at just under 6600 that has a course rating of 72.1. I know the course well; I've played it many, many times and I don't think I've ever broken 80 there. -8 won last year when the Symetra Tour was there.

I said usually, not have to be 6700 and yes it is my opinion and backed up by Karen Stupples who was the 2004 British Open champion.

A four handicap can beat DJ or Rory as well. Just has to have the stars line up just right. But who cares??

How would you set up a match to make a bet? How many strokes would you be willing to give/take and still play for at least $5000 of your own money?

Is a four handicap man a comparable golfer to an LPGA Tour player? Well no, not even remotely comparable. CAN he beat her? Well I guess.

But where would you guys be willing to draw the line and still bet a large amount of money?

Over 10 matches for $5000 per match, I'd take the 75th ranked player on the LPGA Tour and give the "club-4" 6 shots per stroke play match and 5 shots per match play match. I'd expect to be $30-$40,000 richer after these matches.

A four handicap can beat DJ or Rory as well. Just has to have the stars line up just right. But who cares??

How would you set up a match to make a bet? How many strokes would you be willing to give/take and still play for at least $5000 of your own money?

Is a four handicap man a comparable golfer to an LPGA Tour player? Well no, not even remotely comparable. CAN he beat her? Well I guess.

But where would you guys be willing to draw the line and still bet a large amount of money?

Over 10 matches for $5000 per match, I'd take the 75th ranked player on the LPGA Tour and give the "club-4" 6 shots per stroke play match and 5 shots per match play match. I'd expect to be $30-$40,000 richer after these matches.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

If we had a 1 round match with a non head case legit 4 vs a triple digit ranked LPGA player and the betting odds were 100 to 1, I might wager 100 bucks. To those that think the 4 has absolutely no chance then it's a sure win 100 bucks for you.

Sagstrom is 106, not 100.

And those two rounds in the Bahamas shocked everybody on the LPGA Tour, I assure you. Sagstrom pretty much dominated the Symetra Tour last year, and her worst round since the Bahamas is a 75. She was +11 for two rounds in the Bahamas; she is -12 since. Read her bio and see what you think.

Really, I'm glad you used her as an example because she's one of the LPGA players I know a lot about. She won last year on the course where my son is the assistant superintendent, and I can absolutely guarantee you that she ain't losing to a 4 handicap!

No matter all the accolades and talent, or how shocked everyone was, the simple fact is she shot 77-80. You can spin it any way you want, but those are cold, hard numbers. These girls are great, but they're not perfect. A nasty round creeps in on occasion.

But why would anyone bet on multiple matches where each one pays out? Wouldn't a more likely scenario be to bet $5,000 and they play 10 (or 20, or 50 or whatever number is decided) and see if the four wins once?

Karen Stupples came out and said the courses are set up too easy and too short. I'll take her word.

Blue dot, I think your bias has blinded you. The article says the SCORECARD yardages may be 6600 but they are rarely set up that long.

"Every course except one on the LPGA schedule so far this year featured scorecard yardages of 6,600 yards or better, and the one exception (Kia) was 6,593 yards, but rarely do they seem to be set up that long, according to Golf Channel staff who are there week to week."

Um, no the article does NOT say that. The article, written by a guy that I've never heard of in my life, cites unnamed Golf Channel staff who apparently did zero measuring and simply say that the courses "seem" shorter. In a courtroom, that's called hearsay, and it ain't evidence. The opinions of Stupples are much more germane, but even she doesn't offer yardages, and the fact that players are hitting shorter clubs into greens than they did nearly 15 years ago is in keeping with what we see on the men's tour. Honestly, I could go either way on her comments; they smack of the sort of "good old days" stuff that you hear from male players about how much tougher it was way back when. But I don't know, so I'll take her at her word.

But I absolutely, 100% DO agree with you that I have a bias here. My bias is based on pretty simple stuff, like regularly getting my a** kicked by an LPGA player, and not even on my own ball, but on a better ball with another mid-single digit male as my partner against her. And what I know about the courses the women play is sort of first-hand, too; my son is an assistant superintendent of the very course that the Symetra Tour is playing NEXT WEEKEND, on which I've never broken 80 from the yardage the women will be playing and on which -8 for three rounds won last year.

So, yeah, I'm biased. I have this thing about facts and numbers and reality that I can't shake. You caught me...

Blue dot, I think your bias has blinded you. The article says the SCORECARD yardages may be 6600 but they are rarely set up that long.

"Every course except one on the LPGA schedule so far this year featured scorecard yardages of 6,600 yards or better, and the one exception (Kia) was 6,593 yards, but rarely do they seem to be set up that long, according to Golf Channel staff who are there week to week."

Um, no the article does NOT say that. The article, written by a guy that I've never heard of in my life, cites unnamed Golf Channel staff who apparently did zero measuring and simply say that the courses "seem" shorter. In a courtroom, that's called hearsay, and it ain't evidence. The opinions of Stupples are much more germane, but even she doesn't offer yardages, and the fact that players are hitting shorter clubs into greens than they did nearly 15 years ago is in keeping with what we see on the men's tour. Honestly, I could go either way on her comments; they smack of the sort of "good old days" stuff that you hear from male players about how much tougher it was way back when. But I don't know, so I'll take her at her word.

But I absolutely, 100% DO agree with you that I have a bias here. My bias is based on pretty simple stuff, like regularly getting my a** kicked by an LPGA player, and not even on my own ball, but on a better ball with another mid-single digit male as my partner against her. And what I know about the courses the women play is sort of first-hand, too; my son is an assistant superintendent of the very course that the Symetra Tour is playing NEXT WEEKEND, on which I've never broken 80 from the yardage the women will be playing and on which -8 for three rounds won last year.

So, yeah, I'm biased. I have this thing about facts and numbers and reality that I can't shake. You caught me...

Fair enough but I'll take the hearsay of people who are at the courses week to week and Karen Stupples than hearsay from an anonymous poster on WRX.

But why would anyone bet on multiple matches where each one pays out? Wouldn't a more likely scenario be to bet $5,000 and they play 10 (or 20, or 50 or whatever number is decided) and see if the four wins once?

Because no self respecting LPGA tour player is going to waste 10 days of her life to settle a bet unless she gets paid! Lol!

I'm completely serious that I could set up a series of matches like this. I'll supply the LPGA tour player if someone else can supply a verified tournament only four handicap that's willing to put up $5000 per round. And it has to be his own money. That's the only way that this mythical four would be able to actually feel some pressure . I guarantee you I can find a few women that would be willing to put up their money !

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume they dumb down courses to suit the lower ranked players. Generally speaking, the harder the course the harder it is for a less skilled player to score. That is why they have slope ratings. The LPGA needs viewers and sponsors to survive. They want closer competition and lower scores to make it attractive to viewers. It won't look good for the ladies that don't make the cut to be 20 over par.

Because no self respecting LPGA tour player is going to waste 10 days of her life to settle a bet unless she gets paid! Lol!

I'm completely serious that I could set up a series of matches like this. I'll supply the LPGA tour player if someone else can supply a verified tournament only four handicap that's willing to put up $5000 per round. And it has to be his own money. That's the only way that this mythical four would be able to actually feel some pressure . I guarantee you I can find a few women that would be willing to put up their money !

I would think the girls would be lining up to do it. They're going to clean house. I think we've established that the four has at most a minimal chance, so he's not going to put money up for multiple rounds.

I would rather take my chances (as the four) playing straight up and catching the gal on her one off day as opposed to getting strokes and playing multiple rounds. Because as we all know, out of those ten rounds our four is only going to play to his cap two - three times, which is only going to get him to around net par, or maybe one or two under. Hes going to be averaging probably what, 78ish? While she is going to average 72-73? His only hope is to catch her one round of 77 against his 76 to win a "one time" payout. Because the other nine, he's getting drummed!

And at $5,000 per match, not only would I definitely feel the pressure, I probably wouldn't even be able to take the club back!

Lpga crushes us.

I played my home.track the weekend after a major jlpga tourny in oct, the tees were just shy of the blue tees so say 6400 ish.

The winning score was -12 They left the tees out for us to play exactly the same course as the last day with same green speeds.

Caddie said the girls wud easily beaT us bec of consistency .

They just dont miss greens.

-3every day to 4over is a no brainer even given the length disadvantage.

Ill take the gals everyday !.

The winning score was -12... What were the scores of the players that didn't make the cut?

Lpga crushes us.

I played my home.track the weekend after a major jlpga tourny in oct, the tees were just shy of the blue tees so say 6400 ish.

The winning score was -12 They left the tees out for us to play exactly the same course as the last day with same green speeds.

The winning score was -12... What were the scores of the players that didn't make the cut?

Lpga crushes us.

Here's a question for you. That article you supplied was from three years ago. They cite the PGA tours 500 yard par 4's as three iron seconds shots. Not for very many of the players I am guessing. And most tour stops do not have 500 yard par​ 4's anyway. The ladies are already playing at a yardage most weeks longer than the men's tour using equivalent yardages. If they women hit it 250 and the men 285 then the women's 6500 yard course, to be conservative, plays the equivalent to the men's 7647 yards. Not long enough?

What did occur to me the other day thinking about this thread is that, as we all know, the women do not have the resources or courses in general of the men's tour. Not many of the ladies courses have the time, inclination or finances to groom the course properly to host a tour event. Playing so many public/resort courses the hosts do not want too difficult a setup leading up to the event as it causes pace of play problems.

So what to do to stem the tide of low scores is the question? I do not believe the course setups is to protect the lower ranked player. I believe it is more of a finance issue. But even with the money how would they setup the course? Narrow fairways and rough? Might help a bit but the women are straighter than the men. More tucked pins? Perhaps though I contend this is not as lacking as you seem to think.

Time to end this from me but I do not see an easy answer. The top courses do not want to give up their course for the ladie's tour. The courses they play would need to be really tricked up to present a bigger challenge.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

Here's a question for you. That article you supplied was from three years ago. They cite the PGA tours 500 yard par 4's as three iron seconds shots. Not for very many of the players I am guessing. And most tour stops do not have 500 yard par​ 4's anyway. The ladies are already playing at a yardage most weeks longer than the men's tour using equivalent yardages. If they women hit it 250 and the men 285 then the women's 6500 yard course, to be conservative, plays the equivalent to the men's 7647 yards. Not long enough?

What did occur to me the other day thinking about this thread is that, as we all know, the women do not have the resources or courses in general of the men's tour. Not many of the ladies courses have the time, inclination or finances to groom the course properly to host a tour event. Playing so many public/resort courses the hosts do not want too difficult a setup leading up to the event as it causes pace of play problems.

So what to do to stem the tide of low scores is the question? I do not believe the course setups is to protect the lower ranked player. I believe it is more of a finance issue. But even with the money how would they setup the course? Narrow fairways and rough? Might help a bit but the women are straighter than the men. More tucked pins? Perhaps though I contend this is not as lacking as you seem to think.

Time to end this from me but I do not see an easy answer. The top courses do not want to give up their course for the ladie's tour. The courses they play would need to be really tricked up to present a bigger challenge.

It appears LPGA courses are not 6500 yards. The scorecard yardages may say 6500 or 6600 but they are obviously moving the tees forward. Karen Stupples might be exaggerating but she is saying the ladies are going in to greens with wedges on the par 4s. The courses can't be too long for that to happen or they could be mowing the fairways very short to get more run as well as shortening the courses.