Can a 4-handicap man beat an LPGA pro?

In her August "Ask Stina" column, Senior Editor Stina Sternberg responded to the question of whether a 4-handicap male player could outplay an LPGA pro. A reader had a friend who thought he could. Stina called the man "delusional." "As a 4-handicapper, he'd get so badly beaten by any of the LPGA's 152 players (even those with nonexempt status) that he'd have a tough time getting back up." The question, and Stina's response, generated a lot of (mostly male) mail.

Dear Stina,

I am glad the viewer listed a 4-handicapper in the question because if you go to a 2-handicapper and provide him with the conditions the ladies play on he will be a scratch or better. I would take him over two-thirds of the field at most ladies tournaments, maybe more if played from the tips. Consider: Watered-down bunkers pristinely raked; rolled greens that are fast and smooth (most good golfers prefer fast greens, but the course can't keep greens alive cut that low all the time). Most good courses have bunkers in front of all par 5s and I don't see that at many women's venues. I will probably go to the Women's U.S. Open at Pinehurst for one day just to see where the ladies play from. I have played that course several times. It can be a challenge if the greens are hard and fast and the tees are back. I've posted a 74 and a few 76's from the men's tees.

Brad

by email

Dear Stina,

Good day. A previous writer said his 4-handicap friend believed he (hitting the ball 300 yards plus) could beat the average LPGA tour pro on 18 holes. I believe it would depend greatly on the course. If course conditions are like those at Congressional or Oakmont for a PGA Tour event I may give the edge to the big hitter. First, because the big hitter can spin the ball and hold the greens and the closer you are to the green the better off you are on such courses. In addition, courses with par 3s in excess of 240 yards (Congressional #2) will not help the average LPGA member as I do not believe they have a club that would hold those greens.

Now, for the dose of reality to the amateur. Amateurs in golf lack the mental aspect (unless they have played a professional sport like Tony Romo or John Elway) and when confronted with playing with a pro would perform in ways foreign to them because of being nervous. Now if I could take Mr. Romo (2) or Elway (1) in the same bet it would be a no brain-er for me as they should triumph given their abilities to perform under pressure and their physical prowess in given situations.

I do agree with you about the percentages in driving, etc., but I also submit that a course set up to PGA Tour standards would also not benefit the average (not the best) LPGA tour pro as it would be tougher than a Women's U.S. Open.

Let me know the time and place this takes place and I will bring my wallet depending on: the course, setup, and who is playing as well as their sports resume.

Cheers,

Roger Wiskavitch

by email

Dear Stina,

Not only are you spot on about a 4-handicap player getting waxed by any LPGA pro, but I would say the top AJGA junior girl would kill the guy as well. I have played squash at a very high level for most of my adult life and have played against the top women squash players and when younger, I could kind of hold my own. But I lost to most of them. And squash is a fairly minor unknown game. Guys don't get it: Venus Williams, Dinara Safina would kill all but the top men's college players in tennis. The top women softball pitchers would routinely strike out all but the best men baseball players. I could go on. I am a 8-handicap golfer who took up the game at age 38 and what I have seen is it would take a country club player with at least a +2 to even stand a chance and then not much of one. Being a father of three daughters who all played competetive sports I have seen it. Give me the name of the number 100-ranked LPGA player and I would bet paychecks on her against a 4 on ANY course.

Fred Duboc

by email

Dear Stina,I want to comment on your recent column in Golf Digest discussing the 4-handicapper that thinks he can beat most LPGA players. Clearly this guy is out of touch. The women of the LPGA, Duramed and college ranks are real athletes’ many of whom maintain a workout schedule equal to that of the best athletes’ in the world regardless of sport or gender. All one needs to do is watch the re-runs of Big Break to see some great women golfers. Kim Welsh and Gerina Mendoza both drive the ball around 300 yards consistently. I’m a 6-handicap and I would never think to play any plus 3 handicapper even-up on any course regardless of length. The big issue here isn’t length or gender. These women are just plain better golfers than a 4- or 6-handicapper. Guys like “Mister 4-handicap” give the rest of us(men) a bad name.

Matthew Geier

Saint Charles, Ill

Let's set aside the talent level for a moment. Nerves would do the man in. A couple days after our U.S. Open Challenge amateur winner, Larry Giebelhausen, shot 101 at Bethpage, we played at another Long Island course. Granted, the set-up was nowhere near as difficult, but it was not an easy golf course. Larry shot even par on the front nine, three or four over on the back. It was not his talent, but rather the pressurized situation at the Challenge, the fact that he was totally out of his element, that had been the issue at Bethpage. And it would be, too, for our 4-handicapper against the LPGA players

But it would be fun to see, wouldn't it?

--Bob Carney

View the full article

• 7 years later...

I don't know about a 4-handicap, but I will say this. The gulf between men's and women's sports is larger than most people think. I mean the USWNT has lost to U17 boys' teams, and they were the best team in the world at the time. There's a reason why Dustin Johnson can bomb one 350+ on demand, and well, there's no woman on the LPGA that could. I know equality, and misogyny, and blah, blah, blah, but there are certain physical differences between the two sexes than cannot be ignored. It would take someone better than a 4-handicap, but I'd say a high-level amateur that doesn't fold like a cheap beach tent under pressure would be even money.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

A 4 handicap means on a fairly normal course the guy is shooting 75-79 or whatever as his good scores. That's maybe like a fairly benign 6500-6600yd course at the end of the day.

LPGA player would crush a 4 handicap

A top 100 LPGA player would most likely win our club championship and our course is 6700yds 75/140. The winning score is usually around +5. I think barring unusually poor play they would beat that. Or at least be the heavy favourite every year

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't know about a 4-handicap, but I will say this. The gulf between men's and women's sports is larger than most people think. I mean the USWNT has lost to U17 boys' teams, and they were the best team in the world at the time. There's a reason why Dustin Johnson can bomb one 350+ on demand, and well, there's no woman on the LPGA that could. I know equality, and misogyny, and blah, blah, blah, but there are certain physical differences between the two sexes than cannot be ignored. It would take someone better than a 4-handicap, but I'd say a high-level amateur that doesn't fold like a cheap beach tent under pressure would be even money.

Agree with you that the gap is large. But a 4 handicap isn't good on this type of scale we are discussing.

A top ranked 14-15yr old amateur in his state is a discussion

A 4 handicap is a 4 handicap. The numbers don't lie that guy just isn't good enough.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4 capper gets killed

A tried and true male tourney +2 has a good shot, especially if they play 6800 yards. Not sure at 6100 or 6200 to be honest

Didn't this thread get beat to death a few years back?

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Where's that chart that shows how often a such and such handicap plays to a such and such handicap?

IE: 4 handicap players to a +2 handicap 1 out of 405,678 rounds.

I thought I saw it recently on a thread but there is a slim, slim chance that Mary would marry Lloyd so who's to say there is absolutely not chance in hell that this player could beat a LPGA Tour Pro? Is it likely? Pfft, no. Could it happen? Yeah, no doubt.

4 handicap? Not a chance in hell. A true scratch golfer (or perhaps a +1 or +2) and I would say it would come down to length and course. And that scratch + player better be deep too, because if the two players lengths are the same, the LPGA will wax the floor with them all day.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Doubtful, a former LPGA plays at my club and plays against former first team all american D1 males who played multiple mini tours. She typically walks away with cash and plays the same tees as them. Her LPGA avg drive was 250 so she is at a disadvantage there, but not by too much. Her best finish in an event was 2nd but was not a name player by any means. I couldn't name a 4 handicapper with any sense at our club that would play her, much less a regular better LPGA player. Played a major and Ryder Cup venue with her. I shot mid 90s as a 8 handicap. She shot a 72 from the men’s tees. Hit almost every fairway and had birdie putts on almost every hole. Lipped at least 4 out. She just plays a different game. I’d stake her against any male 4 cap any day of the week for as much money as they want to play for and she only plays 4 or 5 events a year the last few years. 

Edited by cardia10
  • Like 1

With the precision of the LPGA tour pro's I don't think so. I think you have to get to scratch or + territory on a longer course to make this an "even money" bet.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

LPGA pros are some of the best short game players and putters in the world. Distance doesn't matter on that tour as much as PGA. They can get the ball up and down like nobody else and for that reason alone would destroy a 4 handicapper because those are the type that have their game somewhat together but can't get the ball in the hole quick enough

I went to an LPGA event a couple years ago. They were the 3rd best players I've ever seen behind (1) PGA players and (2) web.com players. Maybe elite level amateurs and mini tours would have some chance to contend with them. But scratch players, your average +1 or +2, and most certainly a 4 handicap, have absolutely no chance whatsoever. Your average +1 or +2 would make an occasional cut on the LPGA. Nobody worse than that would even be close. It's hilarious that some people would even think that a 4 handicap could do anything close to what LPGA tour players do. How in the hell is a guy who probably averages 82 going to go shoot 71 from a tournament prepared 6,600 yard course. No chance.

You have no idea how good pro golfers are. Male or female - doesn't matter. They're really, really good. And if you don't understand how good they are, it probably means that you yourself just aren't good enough at golf to get it.

A 4 handicap means on a fairly normal course the guy is shooting 75-79 or whatever as his good scores. That's maybe like a fairly benign 6500-6600yd course at the end of the day.

A top 100 LPGA player would most likely win our club championship and our course is 6700yds 75/140. The winning score is usually around +5. I think barring unusually poor play they would beat that. Or at least be the heavy favourite every year

The LPGA plays at Kingsmill every year, a course not to far from me. A friend of mine who is a scratch golfer (+2) just played in the PGA Asst championship there and shot 78. I think the worst players on the LPGA can do better than that.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Well, I'm a 4 hdcp and I had the opportunity to play with a woman in Arizona that had tried to make it on the Canadian Women's tour. She had no problem dismantling me. I would agree that a 4 hdcp golfer has virtually no chance against an LPGA pro.

• Like 1

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Scotty Cameron  Del Mar - California 

Jones  Rover R Utility

In a word, no. I was a plus 4 and played with LPGA and top lady college/am players all the time and it was a fight to win some lunches. I won maybe 60 percent of the time. I was also a tee box back. A 4 handicapper would beat them maybe 1 out of 15 times.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

first off i agree with what's being said, that no chance at all a 4 could beat an LPGA player. Even on a long setup, that prob favors the LPGA player even more because I am guessing that long iron approaches would create more problems and more errant shot for the amateur than the pro who hits those shots with regularity.

But random stupid follow up question, some courses have ratings and slope from the same tee that are different for men versus women. So in theory, from the same tees, a man's HC would be higher than a women's for the same score....correct or am I stupid?

Thus, if we say that to be a male pro +6 is about where you need to be, a +6 women could be closer to a scratch or +1 or 2 male? I think the match between an average LPGA women and a +1 would be very interesting.

Cally Epic SZ, Cally 815 alpha FW, Cally alpha 815 3 and 4 hybrid, Apex Pro 5-Aw, callaway md2 54, callaway md2 58, Xenon Custom Copper Bullseye

LPGA pros are some of the best short game players and putters in the world. Distance doesn't matter on that tour as much as PGA. They can get the ball up and down like nobody else and for that reason alone would destroy a 4 handicapper because those are the type that have their game somewhat together but can't get the ball in the hole quick enough

No they can't get the ball up and down like nobody else.......LPGA chipping and putting is not as good as PGA tour. Just a fact.

totally wrong. their short games are atrocious relative to PGA tour players. the short game difference is the biggest gap between PGA and LPGA, distance is not.

They have incredibly easy course set ups relative to the pga tour.

The LPGA plays at Kingsmill every year, a course not to far from me. A friend of mine who is a scratch golfer (+2) just played in the PGA Asst championship there and shot 78. I think the worst players on the LPGA can do better than that.

and your buddy probably played from 1000 yards further than they do.

A true +2 shooting 78 at kingsmill had a bad day........We used to play it from the same tees the LPGA played after the tournament, and had quite a few scores under par.

I'm scratch, played reds this yr 1 time just to see what I'd put up, shot 61(-11). Played average, even made a bogey. +6 differential.

Scratch gives them a run for their money if we're talking avg lpga tour player from same tees. +3 destroys them. Do I think I can beat lydia ko consistently? Hell no. but there is a gigantic talent difference in ko and an avg lpga tour player.

• Thanks 1