Can a 4-handicap man beat an LPGA pro?

A good high school golfer in FL is about the same as an LPGA tour player fighting to keep her card, say 75-100 on money list. The LPGA player would finish around 30-40th in the boys junior, maybe.

I respect what you do immensely but I have never read such an ignorant comment. I really hope this is laced with sarcasm that I'm missing.

I'd like to see stats to back this up. Not even being snarky, it just didn't sound right to me, having witnessed a high school state tournament and an LPGA tournament, though obviously my sample size is small.

I just checked the 2015-16 FHSAA State Series Golf Results and the 40th ranked boys junior scored a +16 (84 & 76) and the #100 ranked LPGA player, Celine Herbin, has these recent rounds:

m8KZxUk.png?1

Didn't say high school championship, as there are many levels of high schools from A to AAAAA. I'm talking Florida State Boys Junior.

image_zpsbwsqohw3.png

Michael Mattiace has a tournament average close to the 100th ranked LPGA tour player, from courses 600-700 yards longer and is ranked 438th in the US and outside the top 50 in FL

It comes down to this. Put and LPGA pro and X handicap at 150 yards in the middle of the fairway on every hole. Who do you think shoots a lower score? I'm no rocket scientist but my money would be on the LPGA pro

Exactly. Now put them in front of thousands of people and sponsors and it would be an undressing.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

A good high school golfer in FL is about the same as an LPGA tour player fighting to keep her card, say 75-100 on money list. The LPGA player would finish around 30-40th in the boys junior, maybe.

I respect what you do immensely but I have never read such an ignorant comment. I really hope this is laced with sarcasm that I'm missing.

Please explain how it is ignorant. The cut line in 13-15 age group was +1 from 6700 yards. The 16-18 year old kids played from 7100 yards and the winner was -12. The LPGA player ranked 75-100 using the scoring averages (averages over 72 but less than 73) from the shorter and easier courses they play would have missed the cut in both age groups. If we account for the yardage differences there's no chance the 75th-100th ranked woman would have made the cut.

I know a LPGA player that is ranked right in that range and have played with her and seen her play plenty of times. She's played with me and some mini tour players from 6900 yards and she shoots respectable scores. But the high school team that practices at that same course, who had all 5 players shoot par or better in multiple tournaments, would have the same or better averages out there. My statement is the opposite of ignorant. It's based of real world experience and factual stats.

Honestly, I can't even begin to think how to respond. I'm seriously dumbfounded. Closest I can come up with is I was a pretty good HS baseball player in my day. My cousin pitched for the Italian Olympic softball team in Athens. I was barely making contact when I stepped in the box against her. Absolutely different, I know. And like I said, I respect what you do. I just cannot wrap my head around your stance. I seriously feel like I'm being punk'd. I sincerely hope in the time I've taken to respond, more facts have been brought up to support your stance that the 30th best FL high school golfer on a particular day is better than not only the top D1 women but the 100th ranked LPGA player. I have to believe the LPGA is just a pubic hair tougher than a high school tournament.

I am a 4 cap, and I have played with LPGA players a few times. I hit the ball longer, but that is about the only thing I can do that they can't. 97/100 they would beat me.

If your home course has hosted a LPGA event or a high level ladies event it will give you a good idea that they are going to beat just about every one in your club most of the time, and kill a 4 cap.

Please explain how it is ignorant. The cut line in 13-15 age group was +1 from 6700 yards. The 16-18 year old kids played from 7100 yards and the winner was -12. The LPGA player ranked 75-100 using the scoring averages (averages over 72 but less than 73) from the shorter and easier courses they play would have missed the cut in both age groups. If we account for the yardage differences there's no chance the 75th-100th ranked woman would have made the cut.

I know a LPGA player that is ranked right in that range and have played with her and seen her play plenty of times. She's played with me and some mini tour players from 6900 yards and she shoots respectable scores. But the high school team that practices at that same course, who had all 5 players shoot par or better in multiple tournaments, would have the same or better averages out there. My statement is the opposite of ignorant. It's based of real world experience and factual stats.

Honestly, I can't even begin to think how to respond. I'm seriously dumbfounded. Closest I can come up with is I was a pretty good HS baseball player in my day. My cousin pitched for the Italian Olympic softball team in Athens. I was barely making contact when I stepped in the box against her. Absolutely different, I know. And like I said, I respect what you do. I just cannot wrap my head around your stance. I seriously feel like I'm being punk'd. I sincerely hope in the time I've taken to respond, more facts have been brought up to support your stance that the 30th best FL high school golfer on a particular day is better than not only the top D1 women but the 100th ranked LPGA player. I have to believe the LPGA is just a pubic hair tougher than a high school tournament.

wait so how many facts did you bring up? because someone posted scores and all you have are your feelings.

Dude the best high school golfers are florida are pretty freaking good. well past scratch....

It comes down to this. Put and LPGA pro and X handicap at 150 yards in the middle of the fairway on every hole. Who do you think shoots a lower score? I'm no rocket scientist but my money would be on the LPGA pro

Exactly. Now put them in front of thousands of people and sponsors and it would be an undressing.

jokes on you, LPGA can't get thousands for a major

I'd like to see stats to back this up. Not even being snarky, it just didn't sound right to me, having witnessed a high school state tournament and an LPGA tournament, though obviously my sample size is small.

I just checked the 2015-16 FHSAA State Series Golf Results and the 40th ranked boys junior scored a +16 (84 & 76) and the #100 ranked LPGA player, Celine Herbin, has these recent rounds:

m8KZxUk.png?1

Didn't say high school championship, as there are many levels of high schools from A to AAAAA. I'm talking Florida State Boys Junior.

image_zpsbwsqohw3.png

Michael Mattiace has a tournament average close to the 100th ranked LPGA tour player, from courses 600-700 yards longer and is ranked 438th in the US and outside the top 50 in FL

I don't care about the distance differences, you keep mentioning those - males are stronger, this is a physiological fact. It's unequal to compare them. My cousin can dunk a basketball, does that mean he's better than Diana Taurasi? No.

Before I even look at this stats any further, Michael Mattiace came in T18...you said the hypothetical tour player would place 40th, "maybe." You also said a "good" HS golfer would be the 100th ranked LPGA player, but according to you, Michael Mattiace is ranked in the top 50 in the entire state, which is better than "good." So which is it?

m8KZxUk.png?1

image_zpsbwsqohw3.png

I don't care about the distance differences, you keep mentioning those - males are stronger, this is a physiological fact. It's unequal to compare them. My cousin can dunk a basketball, does that mean he's better than Diana Taurasi? No.

Before I even look at this stats any further, Michael Mattiace came in T18...you said the hypothetical tour player would place 40th, "maybe." You also said a "good" HS golfer would be the 100th ranked LPGA player, but according to you, Michael Mattiace is ranked in the top 50 in the entire state, which is better than "good." So which is it?

so it's unequal to compare them, but you entered and posted in a thread comparing them.. got it

dude it's golf. you put up lower scores you're better. jason day puts up lower scores than me, he is better. so does lydia ko.

I'm dumbfounded too. And some other un-ladylike things that I won't say here. The 100th ranked LPGA golfer won the French Ladies Open and again, they have to do it on a completely different stage.

Again I posted there scores and facts

image_zpsbwsqohw3.png

This is from almost 7100 yards. The 30th ranked high schooler in the state of FL averages essentially the same tournament average as the 100th ranged LPGA tour player and does so from 500+ yards longer. The 31st player in the boys junior shot +5 for three rounds from 7,100 yards and is 16 years old. At 14 he averaged 72.5 from similar distances LPGA plays. He's ranked around 50th in the state and he has shot -8 in 36 hole events.

The head pro at my old club played on the PGA Tour for 11 years.

He used to tell his son and mine, when they were in high school, that they would win every LPGA tournament if they played in them.

They were/are good players - better than 4 handicappers, scratch at the time - then both D-1 college players who have had long careers as pros.

The reason my pro said it was that the high school kids hit it close to 300 yes off the tees. LPGA players, even with today's equipment do not hit it very far - Lexi Thompson being the exception. Inbee Park and Paula Creamer only drive the ball 230 yes now - even with the long rolls, wide fairways, and no fairway hazards on today's LPGA courses.

The high schoolers could nearly drive at least 1/2 the par 4s, and hit irons on in 2 on every par 5.

That's what a former long time PGA Tour pro thought.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

m8KZxUk.png?1

image_zpsbwsqohw3.png

I'd call him good not great. I gave my definition. I said that the 100th ranked player would finish 30-40th in state junior. That'd require +5 from 7100 yards. The distance differences are 100% eel even as they are shooting the same scores from further back which makes them better. And there's ZERO chance the 16 year old I teach who finished 31st and is ranked iirc 52nd in the state is stronger than the average LPGA player. He is 5'10 and 125lbs soaking wet.

You obviously don't understand the basic logic I'm using. For the 100th LPGA player to finish 30-40th she'd have to shoot 74-74-74 from 7100 yards. If she barely averages less than 73 from 6,400 yards no way she would average 74 from 700 yards further back.

The 50th ranked junior in FL has an average differential of -0.8 Meaning they average nearly one shot under the course rating (average meaning all scores and tournament scores only) The 100th ranked LPGA player averages OVER the men's course rating on tour.

Pinhigh27 you said, "Jokes on you, LPGA can't get thousands for a major"

Last years US Women's Open had 134,016 fans in attendance for the week. Was your statement just a sad attempt at satire? Are you just an idiot? Is it both?? Jokes on you, these girls are good. Don't worry your man card will still be safe if you admit this.

Last years US Women's Open had 134,016 fans in attendance for the week. Was your statement just a sad attempt at satire? Are you just an idiot? Is it both?? Jokes on you, these girls are good. Don't worry your man card will still be safe if you admit this.

I never said they weren't good. a scratch man is pretty good too. you seem to have a problem understanding this. I'm not saying a hack would beat them. I'm saying a 98th + percentile man would beat them(based on usga percentiles)

http://www.usga.org/Handicapping/handicap-index-statistics/mens-handicap-index-statistics-d24e6096.htmlq

ya you got me on attendance figures. oh darn

I never said they weren't good. a scratch man is pretty good too. you seem to have a problem understanding this. I'm not saying a hack would beat them. I'm saying a 98th + percentile man would beat them(based on usga percentiles)

http://www.usga.org/Handicapping/handicap-index-statistics/mens-handicap-index-statistics-d24e6096.htmlq

ya you got me on attendance figures. oh darn

I don't think those percentiles take in to account the pressure the 'professional' women golfers play in and the fact that they probably handle it better than a country club's scratch golfer. They are professionals after all.

And well if you're going to make a sh*tty joke about LPGA attendance instead of producing a rebuttal to the other posters statement, well I'm gonna call you out on it. Sorry

I'd call him good not great. I gave my definition. I said that the 100th ranked player would finish 30-40th in state junior. That'd require +5 from 7100 yards. The distance differences are 100% eel even as they are shooting the same scores from further back which makes them better. And there's ZERO chance the 16 year old I teach who finished 31st and is ranked iirc 52nd in the state is stronger than the average LPGA player. He is 5'10 and 125lbs soaking wet.

You obviously don't understand the basic logic I'm using. For the 100th LPGA player to finish 30-40th she'd have to shoot 74-74-74 from 7100 yards. If she barely averages less than 73 from 6,400 yards no way she would average 74 from 700 yards further back.

Extreme condescension aside, your argument relies on the huge assumption that a high school tournament golf is equivalent to a worldwide professional golf tour. It's laughable. You're also oversimplifying scoring and yardages. It's not a simple equation based on a formula, as if scoring is proportional per yard, and x number of extra yards means x number of extra strokes.

I also don't care what some high school kid you teach weighs. Anecdotal evidence is fun! Are you honestly arguing that boys/mens bodies aren't stronger and more suited to a driving the ball in a golf swing?

Next time someone wonders why women don't post here, I'm going to point them to this thread.

Extreme condescension aside, your argument relies on the huge assumption that a high school tournament golf is equivalent to a worldwide professional golf tour. It's laughable. You're also oversimplifying scoring and yardages. It's not a simple equation based on a formula, as if scoring is proportional per yard, and x number of extra yards means x number of extra strokes.

Except for the fact that that's exactly how a large component of the slope/rating system is handled. See any scorecard, the further back the tees go, the larger the slope/rating. So yes, x number of yards DOES increase stroke average.

And I'd argue that the LPGA plays in conditions that are more conducive to scoring than what you'd see in an elite HS tournament. Don't know if we can objectively measure or explain that to your satisfaction, but I'm not sure it'd matter, as you don't seem to enjoy the facts that have been presented so far!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

I also don't care what some high school kid you teach weighs. Anecdotal evidence is fun! Are you honestly arguing that boys/mens bodies aren't stronger and more suited to a driving the ball in a golf swing?

Next time someone wonders why women don't post here, I'm going to point them to this thread.

It's not high school tournament golf. These are nationally ranked events with 50+ college coaches following groups and watching every shot you hit. These courses are generally setup much harder and are a LOT longer than what the LPGA plays. Again I'll post a simple fact.

The 50th ranked kid in FL has a tournament average differential of -0.8. That's nearly a stroke under the course rating with only nationally ranked tournaments counting. The 100th ranked LPGA player averages OVER the course rating. The 50th ranked junior in FL averages 1.5+ strokes a round lower in relation to the course rating than the 100th ranked LPGA player. I'm not over simplifying anything. You obviously don't understand how course ratings work. Its as apples to apples comparison as it gets

Is someone driving you off? That would be unfortunate.

I really don't see that Iteach has posted anything sexist or unfair in this thread, seems to be very factual based.

Again i really don't see people hating on women here. Men have physical advantages that aid them in sports, this is nothing against women. It's just true. There is a lot of data in various sports that support this

The thread asked about 4 handicaps versus LPGA pros and pretty much everyone agrees that the 4 would get crushed. FWIW

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It's not high school tournament golf. These are nationally ranked events with 50+ college coaches following groups and watching every shot you hit. These courses are generally setup much harder and are a LOT longer than what the LPGA plays. Again I'll post a simple fact.

The 50th ranked kid in FL has a tournament average differential of -0.8. That's nearly a stroke under the course rating with only nationally ranked tournaments counting. The 100th ranked LPGA player averages OVER the course rating. The 50th ranked junior in FL averages 1.5+ strokes a round lower in relation to the course rating than the 100th ranked LPGA player. I'm not over simplifying anything. You obviously don't understand how course ratings work. Its as apples to apples comparison as it gets

Are you using men's ratings for both or women's ratings for the women?

Course rating is what we have, but it is heavily skewed toward average golfers and in my opinion does not translate well to very good, long hitting players.

I'm not sure what it is for the women but for men ratings are based on a player that hits it about 250 off the tee. That is not very representative of elite amateur golf, whether it is boys, college aged young men or mid amateurs.

This is all quite funny. Obviously most guys on here have never played with anybody good, much less a D1 college player, mini-tour player, or Tour Pro.....Probably 95% of the golfers out there have no idea how good a scratch player is, because they've never seen one........There aren't many out there.......Playing relative tee lengths, which puts approximately the same irons into the greens, there aren't many golfers out there that would beat a Tour player......And you guys have missed the most important FACTOR!!.........MOST 4 handicappers wouldn't come close to their handicap against an LPGA star in a match...Or haven't any of you competed before?......3rd Flight in the club championship doesn't count................ You can add 2-3 shots at least to a guys handicap as he steps onto the first tee of a tournament......LOL

2016_08_23_21.42.34_zpsxiofz1mp.png

108 rounds of golf and only 13 total under par. 6700 not the 8000 they usually play too. Must have been an off day for all those Florida high school boys who would win on the LPGA tour without breaking a sweat.

That's not the state junior. The best players in the state only play the big events. Nobody said they'd win anything. I said they'd be as good or better than the 75th-100th ranked player. Btw just so you know that the 75th-100th person in any event on LPGA tour MISSES THE CUT.

Again the 50th ranked junior has a tournament differential average of -0.8.

If the man with the 4 cap played most of his rounds from 6900 yards he'd be closer to scratch on an average LPGA course setup.

He might win one out of four rounds against an average LPGA Tour player, but only if they were not playing in front of a gallery.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

This is all quite funny. Obviously most guys on here have never played with anybody good, much less a D1 college player, mini-tour player, or Tour Pro.....Probably 95% of the golfers out there have no idea how good a scratch player is, because they've never seen one........There aren't many out there.......Playing relative tee lengths, which puts approximately the same irons into the greens, there aren't many golfers out there that would beat a Tour player......And you guys have missed the most important FACTOR!!.........MOST 4 handicappers wouldn't come close to their handicap against an LPGA star in a match...Or haven't any of you competed before?......3rd Flight in the club championship doesn't count................ You can add 2-3 shots at least to a guys handicap as he steps onto the first tee of a tournament......LOL

Nobody said a 4 handicap would beat them. The 50th ranked junior in FL is easily a +3. He's a tournament +1 counting ALL his tournament scores.

I've taught plenty of players on all major tours of both sexes. Along with multiple NCAA champions, a USGA champion and a number of state champions. I've got a pretty good grasp of how good all of the respective golfers are.

2016_08_23_21.42.34_zpsxiofz1mp.png

108 rounds of golf and only 13 total under par. 6700 not the 8000 they usually play too. Must have been an off day for all those Florida high school boys who would win on the LPGA tour without breaking a sweat.

That's not the state junior. The best players in the state only play the big events. Nobody said they'd win anything. I said they'd be as good or better than the 75th-100th ranked player. Btw just so you know that the 75th-100th person in any event on LPGA tour MISSES THE CUT.

Again the 50th ranked junior has a tournament differential average of -0.8.

So, you're cherry picking one tournament to draw the conclusion the top male HS in Florida are as good as the 75-100 best females in the world? I know, you're not. I'll take the 100 woman against the #1 Florida hs boy any day of the week. That said, I'll agree to disagree. Have a wonderful night iteach.

If the man with the 4 cap played most of his rounds from 6900 yards he'd be closer to scratch on an average LPGA course setup.

He might win one out of four rounds against an average LPGA Tour player, but only if they were not playing in front of a gallery.

Wait. So a player who plays most of his rounds at 6900 yards can't be a 4? wtf?!

So, you're cherry picking one tournament to draw the conclusion the top male HS in Florida are as good as the 75-100 best females in the world? I know, you're not. I'll take the 100 woman against the #1 Florida hs boy any day of the week. That said, I'll agree to disagree. Have a wonderful night iteach.

are you joking? The top florida dude is probably gonna go to a top 10 D1 school... All those dudes would destroy a struggling lpga player.