2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger wont beat Jacks 18

AcesAZ

he is 33 years old, you guys are ridiculous.
the man came back from knee surgery this year and had 5 regular tournament wins. That is more than double anyone else on the tour and now you think because he had a bad string of majors hes done?

You act as if Jack won a major every year he played.. you cant expect him to win atleast one major every year. And if you had to pick a year for him not to win one this would probably be your best bet since as i said before.. he is coming back from MAJOR KNEE SURGERY.

Look at his stats, look at his age, look at his percentage of wins/losses. To think that he wont surpass Jack doesnt even make sense

Wouldn't surprise me to see Tiger win 10 or 15 more majors if he stays healthy and continues to play into his 40's.

I've got the Rotella CD "The Golfer's Mind." The #1 thing of the 10 things every golfer must do is:

1. Play to play great, don't play not to play poorly

Seems to me like Tiger played defensively all day and Yang was the aggressor. Yang tied for low round of the day. He deserved the win.

[quote name='BeaSt' post='1892164' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:49 PM']he is 33 years old, you guys are ridiculous.
the man came back from knee surgery this year and had 5 regular tournament wins. That is more than double anyone else on the tour and now you think because he had a bad string of majors hes done?

You act as if Jack won a major every year he played.. you cant expect him to win atleast one major every year. And if you had to pick a year for him not to win one this would probably be your best bet since as i said before.. he is coming back from MAJOR KNEE SURGERY.

Look at his stats, look at his age, look at his percentage of wins/losses. To think that he wont surpass Jack doesnt even make sense[/quote]

But...but...but... I just have this feeling. LMFAO

I am always confused why the fact that Nicklaus came in 2nd 19 times was a good thing. Sure, he was an incredible player, still the best of all time IMO based on the record books. But maybe we should say what a terrible closer he was, I mean, to not be able to win when he was that close and all. Now, that isnt my opinion, I just dont get why when tiger comes in 2nd people say he is washed up and cant break a record, and the fact that JAck came in 2nd was a good thing. I just dont get it; seems like a double standard.

[quote name='AcesAZ' post='1892202' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:02 PM']Point is there is a chance, much greater chance he wins 20+ but still a chance he doesnt break 18. Nothings a lock and we saw that today from YE Yang smacking down Tiger.[/quote]

So what you're saying is there is a small chance Tiger won't win 18+ majors? I never knew that...

[quote name='Greg B.' post='1892225' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:07 AM'][quote name='Rudders' post='1892102' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:36 PM']Look at it this way; every once in a while the tortoise beats the hare. But in the long run, you can't lose betting on the rabbit.[/quote]

Actually, the fable ends with the tortoise winning every time. :)
[/quote]

Personally i would bet the tiger against a tortoise or a hare. It would just eat them both!

[quote name='kylemacca01' post='1892036' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:22 PM']Tiger will make some changes over the winter and will come back strong next year. He will get to 18 no problem![/quote]
He will fix it this week and will win the FedEx Cup. Also, he didn't play awful down the stretch, did not choke: on 17, he hit a pure shot and would have had a kick in, 1 shot lead going into 18 if he took an 8-iron. Let's not blow this too far out of proportion.

[quote name='mufan1' post='1892240' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:13 AM'][quote name='kylemacca01' post='1892036' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:22 PM']Tiger will make some changes over the winter and will come back strong next year. He will get to 18 no problem![/quote]
He will fix it this week and will win the FedEx Cup. Also, he didn't play awful down the stretch, did not choke: on 17, he hit a pure shot and would have had a kick in, 1 shot lead going into 18 if he took an 8-iron. Let's not blow this too far out of proportion.
[/quote]

Nah he played OK but i expected him to shoot under par and win easily. He really didnt perform as HE would have expected. I dont doubt his winning abilities in the short term and he knos how to get it done, but if he wants a really great season next year, as in 2+ majors, he needs to make some golf swing adjustments imo in the 'off' season. Specifially the roll through impact and the bowed left wrist at the top, which seemed flatter this week actually, so clearly he IS working on this already.

[quote name='bw2082' post='1892257' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:20 PM']I knew Tiger was in trouble when the wind started blowing and the rain came on Friday. He does not play nearly as well in wet and windy conditions as he does in fair weather.[/quote]

Yea he played awful at bethpage in the rain, or at the british in bad conditions, or when he won the bridgestone in rain.

Hmm... Tiger is still coming back after a serious knee operation. He's been half a club off all season because it's still not all the way there. And cite Haney being the cause all you want, but he's won majors with Haney as his coach. Major knee surgery takes time to come back from. We've seen it in other sports, where athletes, at times are never the same. Some come back and play the next season, but something still isn't quite right. He'll be fine, just has to get his feel back for distances. He'll get it, no one works harder than Tiger.

I honestly think Tiger was mentally drained after three weeks in a row. Internally speaking, playing golf at championship level will tear you up from the inside out. You have to remember that Tiger puts 100% of his best effort and concentration on every shot. That type of concentration is draining, especially over a period of three weeks. He will win next year for sure God willing.

I don't know how Tiger does it, but Hogan said that playing golf at that level is like a drop of water striking a rock, which slowly carves a hole right through it. We'll never know what it's like nor do I want to know how tough it is playing at the level of Tiger and Hogan.

Y.E.Yang out played Tiger and Tiger gave the tourney away by posting a +2.

[quote name='dreamdrive' post='1892318' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:42 PM']Tiger played poorly and came in second. Think about that for a while and what it means.[/quote]

I wouldnt say he played poorly, he played great the 1st two days creating the 4 shot lead. He just couldnt make any putts over the weekend. Simple as that.

Between Jack's first and last major he had 7 majorless seasons. 4 for Tiger so far. I would expect that number to exceed Jack's by the Time Tiger is done - Swing overhauls and this latest surgery have lead to the subpar years in majors.

Tiger missed good putts all day and Y.E. executed and got some serious good fortune going his way today - chip in, wiped shot held up from going off the green into the hazard by an inch, and that last shot into 18 was not aimed anywhere near the pin. No excuses, just showing how the ball bounces one way for one guy and the other direction for another. All in all - Y.E. beat Tiger no doubt.

Start a thread talking up the champ, analyze his swing etc. Some Tiger bashers are jealous, some are racist, some are just bored.

golow(tm)

[quote name='kylemacca01' post='1892036' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:22 PM']Tiger will make some changes over the winter and will come back strong next year. He will get to 18 no problem![/quote]

i like the similarities this has with a good friend of tiger's who had a break from his profession......after taking a few years off, he found himself back in the thick of the playoffs upon his return. 4th quarter with seconds ticking down the ball is in his hands and everyone knows what's gonna happen. but instead he gets the ball stolen from him.....blasphemy!!! game over & series over. michael jordan had lost his touch, there were cracks in the armor, the old mj would NEVER have this happen to him, he won't ever regain his previous form. so what did he and his team do starting with the next season??? won another 3 championships in a row.

look and sound like a familiar situation with tiger??? although we don't know what the future holds i'm thinking this next act once he's fully healed from major knee surgery the history books will need some adjustments made in the years to come.....apparently many have forgotten he's only a few months past year 1 of a 2 year recovery and he's trying to figure out what playing golf with a good leg is like

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='AcesAZ' post='1892122' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:41 PM']I just said maybe its not a lock? Point is he maybe wont win another major next year or the year after, maybe he is feeling the pressure too much in the majors being so darn close. Not saying it will happen but there is a chance!!!

Not only that people now know they can beat him from behind. Hes not any longer invincible.[/quote]

I gotta think he gets at least one of Augusta/Pebble Beach/Old Course next year. I don't think he would be a good pick at Whistling Straits. His best chance on '11 would be at St. George's where he was 4th in '03.

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Black
Nike VRS 15°
Nike VRS 19°
Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4-PW
Nike VR Forged Black Oxide 50°
Nike VR Forged Black Oxide 54°
Nike VR X3X Dual Sole 58°
Nike Method 001 33"

[quote name='crtssxc' post='1892192' date='Aug 16 2009, 05:57 PM']I am always confused why the fact that Nicklaus came in 2nd 19 times was a good thing. Sure, he was an incredible player, still the best of all time IMO based on the record books. But maybe we should say what a terrible closer he was, I mean, to not be able to win when he was that close and all. Now, that isnt my opinion, I just dont get why when tiger comes in 2nd people say he is washed up and cant break a record, and the fact that JAck came in 2nd was a good thing. I just dont get it; seems like a double standard.[/quote]

There is a double standard. Tiger is a victim of his own success in some ways. The media will give him all kinds of hell over this for sure.

[quote name='pu_golf88' post='1892127' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:42 PM']OP... you are an idiot.[/quote]

What is wrong with some people? You can't get a decent discussion about Tiger going on this forum before someone comes in with completely inappropriate comment. The OP said that its possible that the 18 is not going to happen. Is anyone here going to bet their house that it isn't at least POSSIBLE that it won't happen?

Invariably, the discussion comes down to

OP: I think Tiger.....
Response: Wrong! Tiger is God! You Suck!

OP: But all I was saying is....
Response: No! Tiger is God. You are an idiot!

OP: But...But....
2nd Response: I can't think of anything else original to say! +1!

[quote name='juansky' post='1892353' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:51 PM']I honestly think Tiger was mentally drained after three weeks in a row. Internally speaking, playing golf at championship level will tear you up from the inside out. You have to remember that Tiger puts 100% of his best effort and concentration on every shot. That type of concentration is draining, especially over a period of three weeks. He will win next year for sure God willing.

I don't know how Tiger does it, but Hogan said that playing golf at that level is like a drop of water striking a rock, which slowly carves a hole right through it. We'll never know what it's like nor do I want to know how tough it is playing at the level of Tiger and Hogan.

Y.E.Yang out played Tiger and Tiger gave the tourney away by posting a +2.[/quote]

Actually Tiger shot a 3 over 75. I believe you're right about him being mentally drained, had today been the second week in a row I think it would have ended differently. If Tiger even had an average day putting he would have won. 33 putts in the final round won't get it done.