2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger wont beat Jacks 18

AcesAZ

You people crack me up. The guy comes back from major knee surgery after a 10 month layoff, doesn't even play competitive golf this year until Augusta (which is in April), yet wins 5 times on tour (so far) in 5 months, and misses the last major by what amounted to 1 shot, and all of a sudden, his days of winning majors is OVER!!!??

Hell, Phil didn't even win a major until he was what, 33, 34? Cabrera wins a couple in his late 30s... There's only 1 guy in his 20s who has a major to his name right now. Tiger is heading for his prime, not winding up his career.

Mark the tape, write it down, remember this statement, "Tiger will win at least 22 majors". It's ridiculous for us to even be arguing about this. So he's hit a rough patch, Didn't win a major out of the last 6, he'll get at least two next year and then maybe we can bring this thread, along with the other dozen back up and snicker about how badly people overreact.

[quote name='nikegolfchad' post='1893402' date='Aug 17 2009, 07:25 PM']Ye Yang didn't beat Tiger...Tiger beat himself by not putting. He sinks even a couple of those putts that burned the edge...game over.[/quote]

Yang's 2-under tied for the lowest score of the round. This is pretty much the textbook definition of 'beating someone' :)

Do you think that this year will motivate Tiger even more? He works harder than everyone else on tour and I'm guessing he's going to work even harder. Tiger is just getting back from knee surgery, the exact same knee surgery that Els had when he was #2 in the world and he has been the shell of who he once was. Tiger has won 5 times this year, that's a career for most people.

All the haters just take a step back. He's 33 and will be more motivated next year, I think he can get 5 majors iside of 10 years.

[quote name='hokey' post='1892522' date='Aug 16 2009, 09:40 PM'][quote name='pu_golf88' post='1892127' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:42 PM']OP... you are an idiot.[/quote]

What is wrong with some people? You can't get a decent discussion about Tiger going on this forum before someone comes in with completely inappropriate comment. The OP said that its possible that the 18 is not going to happen. Is anyone here going to bet their house that it isn't at least POSSIBLE that it won't happen?

Invariably, the discussion comes down to

OP: I think Tiger.....
Response: Wrong! Tiger is God! You Suck!

OP: But all I was saying is....
Response: No! Tiger is God. You are an idiot!

OP: But...But....
2nd Response: I can't think of anything else original to say! +1!
[/quote]

If that is what you think is happening I suggest you read the threads that have been popping up. They invariably go down as:

Tiger is a jerk because.....
Response: What are you talking about.

All I've read the past two days is that Tiger is classless because he didn't talk after the round. Of course Tiger actually did talk and was very gracious to Yang in defeat. Oh and Tiger was classless because he practiced his putting or walked away from the green while someone else was putting. Of course no mention is made of the 70 some odd other golfers who did the same exact thing. And Tiger is a jerk because he dared to say that he hit some great shots but he just couldn't putt and isn't putting part of golf. Of course how many times have all of us come off the course and said how the driver was working today but I couldn't hit my irons or how the irons were on fire but the putts were not dropping.

Now the one thing I will say is that Tiger no doubt choked over the weekend. He couldn't read a putt to save his life yesterday and to me that is choking. Anyone else who shoots a 75 in the final round and gives up a 2 shot lead would have been called out as a choker. But hey it happens to everyone. Tiger will get his next year as the Majors are at some very favorable courses for him. I see at least 2.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

[quote name='Chunkylover77' post='1893874' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:59 AM'][quote name='hokey' post='1892522' date='Aug 16 2009, 09:40 PM'][quote name='pu_golf88' post='1892127' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:42 PM']OP... you are an idiot.[/quote]

What is wrong with some people? You can't get a decent discussion about Tiger going on this forum before someone comes in with completely inappropriate comment. The OP said that its possible that the 18 is not going to happen. Is anyone here going to bet their house that it isn't at least POSSIBLE that it won't happen?

Invariably, the discussion comes down to

OP: I think Tiger.....
Response: Wrong! Tiger is God! You Suck!

OP: But all I was saying is....
Response: No! Tiger is God. You are an idiot!

OP: But...But....
2nd Response: I can't think of anything else original to say! +1!
[/quote]

If that is what you think is happening I suggest you read the threads that have been popping up. They invariably go down as:

Tiger is a jerk because.....
Response: What are you talking about.

All I've read the past two days is that Tiger is classless because he didn't talk after the round. Of course Tiger actually did talk and was very gracious to Yang in defeat. Oh and Tiger was classless because he practiced his putting or walked away from the green while someone else was putting. Of course no mention is made of the 70 some odd other golfers who did the same exact thing. And Tiger is a jerk because he dared to say that he hit some great shots but he just couldn't putt and isn't putting part of golf. Of course how many times have all of us come off the course and said how the driver was working today but I couldn't hit my irons or how the irons were on fire but the putts were not dropping.

Now the one thing I will say is that Tiger no doubt choked over the weekend. He couldn't read a putt to save his life yesterday and to me that is choking. Anyone else who shoots a 75 in the final round and gives up a 2 shot lead would have been called out as a choker. But hey it happens to everyone. Tiger will get his next year as the Majors are at some very favorable courses for him. I see at least 2.
[/quote]

IMO, will Woods surpass 18 majors? Yes. Was he gracious to Yang in the press conference. Yes and no. He made several positive comments about Yang's game; how he stayed on a even keel, how he didn't hit any bad shots (except for the putt on 17), etc. On the "no" side, if anyone is familiar with the movie "The Patriot" (Mel Gibson), there's a comment by a British officer at the end of the movie, and I paraphrase 'we're the greatest nation on the planet; how could we lose to a bunch of rabble-rousers?' I think Woods was stunned that he lost; more so than Yang winning.

Anyone wishing to discuss this further, I'll be at Greensboro this week and Jersey City the following.

You said yes and no but gave no explanation for the no other than a Mel Gibson movie lol. He was as gracious as can be at the press conference. He said Yang played well and hit the shots he needed and he did not.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

Byron Morgan GSS DH-89

[quote name='AcesAZ' post='1891958' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:09 PM']Maybe Tiger wont beat Jacks record after all. Everyone assumes it will happen yet Tiger got shut out this year. He even struggled down the stretch. No longer perfect when leading after 36 and 54 holes. Hes no longer invincible.[/quote]

You got to outta your dam mind. Fail to realize Tiger is coming off of major knee surgery and no one expected him to be this competitive and this successful in his return. The man is 33 years old. Tom Watson is like pushing 60 and almost won The Open this year.

Get off the failboat, this isnt Tennis where early/mid 30's means game over.

[center][size=3][b][color=gray]Callaway EPIC [/color][/b][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]|[/b][/b] [/b][/color][color=gray][b]10[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color][color=gray][b]5 Accra Tour Z 255[/b][/color]
[color=gray][b]Titleist 913F [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]|[/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b] 15[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color][color=gray][b] & 19[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color]
[color=gray][b]Titleist 913H [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]|[/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b] 24[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color]
[color=gray][b]PXG 0311[/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b] [b][b]| [/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b]Xtreme Dark 5-PW [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]| [/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b]Smoke Nippon NS Pro 999GH[/b][/color]
[color=gray][b]Vokey SM6 F Grind[/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b] [b][b]| [/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b] Jet Black [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]|[/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b] 50[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color][color=gray][b]8 & 56[/b][/color][color=#FF0000][b]*[/b][/color][color=gray][b]14 [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]|[/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b] Smoke Nippon NS Pro 999GH[/b][/color]
[color=gray][b]Scotty Cameron [/b][/color][color=#FF8C00][b][b][b]| [/b][/b][/b][/color][color=gray][b]Newport II TOUR SSS @350g 33" Mid-Size Baby "t"[/b][/color][/size][/center]

[quote name='tical' post='1894105' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:16 PM'][quote name='AcesAZ' post='1891958' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:09 PM']Maybe Tiger wont beat Jacks record after all. Everyone assumes it will happen yet Tiger got shut out this year. He even struggled down the stretch. No longer perfect when leading after 36 and 54 holes. Hes no longer invincible.[/quote]

You got to outta your dam mind. Fail to realize Tiger is coming off of major knee surgery and no one expected him to be this competitive and this successful in his return. The man is 33 years old. Tom Watson is like pushing 60 and almost won The Open this year.

Get off the failboat, this isnt Tennis where early/mid 30's means game over.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Tiger should be coming up on his prime as scary as that is and it would be crazy to say that once he hits 40 it is over for him as he keeps himself in crazy shape. I actually think it is a good thing that his streak of winning after leading through 54 is gone. There has to be a little pressure with that. I think next year will put to rest the Tiger won't beat Jack nonsense. Even Jack thinks it is just a matter of when not if.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

Byron Morgan GSS DH-89

[quote name='Greg B.' post='1892225' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:07 PM'][quote name='Rudders' post='1892102' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:36 PM']Look at it this way; every once in a while the tortoise beats the hare. But in the long run, you can't lose betting on the rabbit.[/quote]

Actually, the fable ends with the tortoise winning every time. :)
[/quote]

Well, not EVERY time:
[url="http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/animation/watch/v6254660QBBh6MmW"]http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category...6254660QBBh6MmW[/url]#

[quote name='nikegolfchad' post='1893402' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:25 AM']Ye Yang didn't beat Tiger...Tiger beat himself by not putting. He sinks even a couple of those putts that burned the edge...game over.[/quote]

Coulda woulda shoulda.. too bad he didn't.. and from the scoreboards.. it looks like YE Yang.. BEAT Tiger.

[quote name='Oscar' post='1893540' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:25 AM'][quote name='nikegolfchad' post='1893402' date='Aug 17 2009, 07:25 PM']Ye Yang didn't beat Tiger...Tiger beat himself by not putting. He sinks even a couple of those putts that burned the edge...game over.[/quote]

Yang's 2-under tied for the lowest score of the round. This is pretty much the textbook definition of 'beating someone' :)
[/quote]

+1.. C'mon.. :russian_roulette:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I think the guy that started this thread needs to have a good long look at himself, Tiger will easily win more majors, so what he didn't win one this year but the guy has just come back from knee surgery he has won more times than anyone this season, he is only 33 i reakon he will be still kicking about on tour at around 42 so i think its safe to say he will easily win atleast another 6 majors, dam knowing tiger he will probably win 2 or 3 of the majors next year. It really bugs me when jerks start a thread about tiger when he doesn't play well. Hes come back from knee surgery won i think 5 this year he is top of the money list top of the fed ex points list and top of the world ranking. Yeah thats a real bad season eh!!!

Ping G425 Max Driver 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch 6.5 60g

Ping G400 3 Wood 14.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75g 6.5
Ping G425 Hybrid 19* Project X Even Flow Blue 85g 6.0
Ping i210 4-PW DG 120 X100

Cleveland RTX ZipCore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue S400  
Ping Heppler Fetch 33" Superstroke Tour 2.0
Titleist Pro V1x 

[quote name='larrybud' post='1893425' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:47 AM']You people crack me up. The guy comes back from major knee surgery after a 10 month layoff, doesn't even play competitive golf this year until Augusta (which is in April), yet wins 5 times on tour (so far) in 5 months, and misses the last major by what amounted to 1 shot, and all of a sudden, his days of winning majors is OVER!!!??

Hell, Phil didn't even win a major until he was what, 33, 34? Cabrera wins a couple in his late 30s... There's only 1 guy in his 20s who has a major to his name right now. Tiger is heading for his prime, not winding up his career.[/quote]
Well said.

Driver-Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3Wood -Cobra F8 Irons-Srixon ZX7 3-PW Wedges-Haywood Putter-Seemore M1W Ball-Snell MTBX, Vice Pro Plus

[quote name='muddawg1' post='1894251' date='Aug 17 2009, 10:55 AM']Y.E. Yang simply beat Tiger & he deserves props for that! He is the first man to do it in a major. Do not count Tiger out as he is barely in playing shape & he still dominated this year.[/quote]

[quote name='Pure745' post='1894389' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:29 AM'][quote name='nikegolfchad' post='1893402' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:25 AM']Ye Yang didn't beat Tiger...Tiger beat himself by not putting. He sinks even a couple of those putts that burned the edge...game over.[/quote]
Coulda woulda shoulda.. too bad he didn't.. and from the scoreboards.. it looks like YE Yang.. BEAT Tiger.
[quote name='Oscar' post='1893540' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:25 AM'][quote name='nikegolfchad' post='1893402' date='Aug 17 2009, 07:25 PM']Ye Yang didn't beat Tiger...Tiger beat himself by not putting. He sinks even a couple of those putts that burned the edge...game over.[/quote]
[/quote]
+1.. C'mon.. :russian_roulette:
[/quote]

Absolutely agree with you guys. I don't get why some can't give a guy credit for playing the best that day/week, regardless of if someone else didn't play up to their potential. Yang still had to hit the shots and make the putts to shoot 2 under, which was tied for low round.

Tiger will be back and he'll still win his share, but it was nice to see someone not get distracted by all the hoopla involved in playing with him and beat him in a major. Not too many can say they've achieved that.

Congrats to Y.E. Yang! Well deserved!

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

[quote name='Chunkylover77' post='1894098' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:14 PM']You said yes and no but gave no explanation for the no other than a Mel Gibson movie lol. He was as gracious as can be at the press conference. He said Yang played well and hit the shots he needed and he did not.[/quote]

If you got the impression that Woods was congratulating Yang for his win, and beating Tiger, and not that Woods lost the tourney more so than Yang beat him, we must have been watching two different interviews. Tiger's putter was Joe Valachi and Tiger was Carlo Gambino: "how could you turn against me when we've been through so much together?"

[quote name='Oscar' post='1893364' date='Aug 17 2009, 05:10 AM'][quote name='Redman' post='1892807' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:07 PM']... Do you realize what he has done by the age of 33? 33 for Christ's sake![/quote]

Well, wasn't Christ himself pretty much done by 33 even after all His lofty achievements up to that age? ;) .... sorry, couldn't resist...

For Tiger not to break Jack's record 2 things need to happen:

1. His body (most likely the knee) must desert him

+

2. A young world-beater emerges and eclipses him, similar to what Nicklaus did to Palmer. From the current crop, Rory McIlroy looks like the best bet.
[/quote]

A case of the yips could derail his plans as well, it happened to Hogan, Palmer and Watson, all great putters before the yips came along, could the poa anna greens at Haziltine be the start of Tiger thinking about not making all his putts? IMO this is the only thing that could stop him, everything else could just slow him down. If Tiger doesn't win next year it could be a big sign, Augusta, Pebble and St. Andrews are courses he just owns, if he doesn't win two next year I will be shocked.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='fua1' post='1892108' date='Aug 16 2009, 05:37 PM'][quote name='littlepingman' post='1892042' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:24 PM'][quote name='fua1' post='1892015' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:17 PM']I like Tiger, but it is no longer a lock. Winning Majors is hard. 3 majors is a great career. Tiger has looked human this year. Multiple regular wins and close calls in the majors and this one was a choke job. He is becoming Greg Norman.[/quote]

A choke job? You can't be serious. It was a tough day out there today. No one broke 70. Yang tied the best score of the day. Tiger got outplayed, plain and simple.
[/quote]
And Tiger could not break 75. Everyone acts like 4-5 majors over the next ten years will be the low end of what Tiger will do.Can he do it? Of course. But it is no longer a lock. He is looking human in the majors. Golf can get in your head. Tiger now has some negative mojo. It will make next year very interesting. He could come out on fire and make me look like a fool. Or maybe he has peaked in the majors?
[/quote]

These posts are funny. He's what? 33 or 34?. Just came off getting his knee fixed. Hes has PLENTY of time to pass up jack. Look at Vijay, he is old but still competes. I'm sure Tiger will still be competing in his 40's. He may not be the same, but he could still very well win majors in his 40's. He hit the ball fairly well, but couldn't get the putts to fall. And yang played a great round of golf. This was bound to happen sometime, i'm surprised it took this long for someone to outplay tiger when he had the lead at a major. Tiger is the best i've ever seen, and will pass up jack, making it official, well kinda. some will always say jack was better.

Stop overreacting. Next year I think Tiger is going to go crazy, and have another 2000 season. 3 majors, you watch, the masters, us open, and british open.

[quote name='mikethedog' post='1891991' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:14 PM']Tiger's only 33...he's still got 10 good years to win Majors....he'll probably win 20 beofre he retires.

No offense but I don't get not being a fan of Tiger...that's like saying I really don't care for Nicklaus or Bobby Jones. Different strokes I guess.[/quote]

i thought the same thing as you when it comes to not liking tiger and i used the same analogy with someone 20 yrs my senior. His response was that Nicklaus was hated too when he came up, largely because Arnie was so popular. Tiger is polarizing, he's like the Yankees or Notre Dame, you love him or you hate him

[quote name='Rudders' post='1894728' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:05 PM'][quote name='Chunkylover77' post='1894098' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:14 PM']You said yes and no but gave no explanation for the no other than a Mel Gibson movie lol. He was as gracious as can be at the press conference. He said Yang played well and hit the shots he needed and he did not.[/quote]

If you got the impression that Woods was congratulating Yang for his win, and beating Tiger, and not that Woods lost the tourney more so than Yang beat him, we must have been watching two different interviews. Tiger's putter was Joe Valachi and Tiger was Carlo Gambino: "how could you turn against me when we've been through so much together?"
[/quote]

Lol. I had to laugh at that.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

Byron Morgan GSS DH-89

[quote name='Chunkylover77' post='1895443' date='Aug 17 2009, 07:56 PM'][quote name='Rudders' post='1894728' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:05 PM'][quote name='Chunkylover77' post='1894098' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:14 PM']You said yes and no but gave no explanation for the no other than a Mel Gibson movie lol. He was as gracious as can be at the press conference. He said Yang played well and hit the shots he needed and he did not.[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol. I had to laugh at that.
[/quote]

For god's sake, Watson almost won a major...I think Tiger has many years to beat the record, I predict 25 majors

[quote name='matty1802' post='1894473' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:51 PM']I think the guy that started this thread needs to have a good long look at himself, Tiger will easily win more majors, so what he didn't win one this year but the guy has just come back from knee surgery he has won more times than anyone this season, he is only 33 i reakon he will be still kicking about on tour at around 42 so i think its safe to say he will easily win atleast another 6 majors, dam knowing tiger he will probably win 2 or 3 of the majors next year. It really bugs me when jerks start a thread about tiger when he doesn't play well. Hes come back from knee surgery won i think 5 this year he is top of the money list top of the fed ex points list and top of the world ranking. Yeah thats a real bad season eh!!![/quote]

Nobody has talked about the fact that Tiger pretty much started this trend of working out with gym work and strength training. The game has become much more physical since Tiger came on board, and those same physical requirements are what is going to make Tiger's hunt for 18 more difficult than Jack's. He is 33/34 and already has a bum knee. In 5 years, the Villegas'es and Quiros'es are going to be much fitter than he is.