2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tiger wont beat Jacks 18

AcesAZ

[quote name='kylemacca01' post='1892036' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:22 PM']Tiger will make some changes over the winter and will come back strong next year. He will get to 18 no problem![/quote]

yah right :haha:

TAYLORMADE SLDR JDM 430 10 DEG STIFF DRIVER
TAYLORMADE R9 SUPERDEEP 9.5 DEG STIFF DRIVER
TAYLORMADE R7 3&5 WOODS
MAXFLI BLACK DOT REVOLUTIONS 2-PW,GW,SW,
TAYLORMADE MONZA CORZA
TAYLORMADE BURNER TOUR BALLS

As someone said above, Tiger will pick up at least 1 next year - Augusta, Pebble Beach, and St. Andrews are all very good venues for Tiger to win. Whistling Straits will be the only challenge. A grand slam next year wouldn't be at all surprising to me. He knee will be FULLY healthy. A grand slam would tie Jack lol.

[quote name='sandy' post='1892088' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:35 PM'][quote name='midasmulligan2000' post='1892066' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:27 PM']Wow. Just wow. I had not realized the hatred went this deep.

Tiger played his B- game today. Couldn't sink a putt to save his life. Iron yardages completely off. And still came in second. During any given major, any one of 50 players can get hot for a week. When someone (other than Tiger) can be close to the top, or at the top, week after week, month after month, year after year, then maybe talk about an equal.[/quote]

Now he is only 14 to 15 second place finishes in majors behind Jack.. Jack did the same thing when he had his B- game came in second 19 times.
[/quote]
I'm not certain what you're trying to say, but Tiger has [i]won[/i] a larger percentage of majors he's entered than Jack. Tiger has hit Jack's milestones earlier in his career - so he won't have as many second place finishes because he has more wins in the same number of attempts.

[quote name='HeadonaStick' post='1892592' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:04 PM'][quote name='sandy' post='1892088' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:35 PM'][quote name='midasmulligan2000' post='1892066' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:27 PM']Wow. Just wow. I had not realized the hatred went this deep.

Tiger played his B- game today. Couldn't sink a putt to save his life. Iron yardages completely off. And still came in second. During any given major, any one of 50 players can get hot for a week. When someone (other than Tiger) can be close to the top, or at the top, week after week, month after month, year after year, then maybe talk about an equal.[/quote]

Now he is only 14 to 15 second place finishes in majors behind Jack.. Jack did the same thing when he had his B- game came in second 19 times.
[/quote]
I'm not certain what you're trying to say, but Tiger has [i]won[/i] a larger percentage of majors he's entered than Jack. Tiger has hit Jack's milestones earlier in his career - so he won't have as many second place finishes because he has more wins in the same number of attempts.
[/quote]

I think what he is trying to say is that, how come people are amazed by how many times jack came in second, but people get angry about how many times tiger came in second? See what I'm saying..

IMO; tour level golf is not about coming in second for anyone. Not about making a living. Its about winning. EVERY ONE of those guys wants to win, not come in second.

Up To Par Golf, LLC
Owner - Chris Nelson
www.uptopargolf.com
[email protected]

[quote name='Greg B.' post='1892225' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:07 PM'][quote name='Rudders' post='1892102' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:36 PM']Look at it this way; every once in a while the tortoise beats the hare. But in the long run, you can't lose betting on the rabbit.[/quote]

Actually, the fable ends with the tortoise winning every time. :)
[/quote]

Only because the "hare haters" ignored his wins. :D

I predict Tiger will win an average of one major a year for the next ten years or so, that will put him at 24 for his career. The real question is what is Tiger's real goal? is it 19 majors or will he set the bar even higher before he hangs it up? I say his real goal is
Masters-7
Open-7
US Open-5
PGA-6

This would give him 25 and the most ever victories in each, he will probably end up with and extra one or two here or there but when he is done I say he is done. When asked about playing in the Olympic in 2015 he said he would play if he isn't retired, but I am sure a gold medal might be on his bucket list as well, we shall see.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='psygolf' post='1892780' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:00 PM']What everyone is forgeting is that Tiger will be hard-pressed to get 5 more majors in the time he has left... which is only a little more than 2 years, according to the Aztecs.[/quote]
If the spaceships to outer space don't get him first :russian_roulette:

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='AcesAZ' post='1891958' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:09 PM']Maybe Tiger wont beat Jacks record after all. Everyone assumes it will happen yet Tiger got shut out this year. He even struggled down the stretch. No longer perfect when leading after 36 and 54 holes. Hes no longer invincible.[/quote]

One of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read all because he finally got outplayed during a final round. Do you realize what he has done by the age of 33? 33 for Christ's sake!

[quote name='dlygrisse' post='1892749' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:52 PM']I predict Tiger will win an average of one major a year for the next ten years or so, that will put him at 24 for his career. The real question is what is Tiger's real goal? is it 19 majors or will he set the bar even higher before he hangs it up? I say his real goal is
Masters-7
Open-7
US Open-5
PGA-6

This would give him 25 and the most ever victories in each, he will probably end up with and extra one or two here or there but when he is done I say he is done. When asked about playing in the Olympic in 2015 he said he would play if he isn't retired, but I am sure a gold medal might be on his bucket list as well, we shall see.[/quote]
What I found interesting is that he even mentioned being retired in 6 years. I've often thought that as soon as he breaks Jack's record he will retire. That's always been his goal, and I think he has other ambitions beyond golf. I think it is possible that he's just waiting for the record.

Or maybe not.

[quote name='Jer-Jer' post='1892574' date='Aug 16 2009, 09:55 PM']As someone said above, Tiger will pick up at least 1 next year - Augusta, Pebble Beach, and St. Andrews are all very good venues for Tiger to win. Whistling Straits will be the only challenge. A grand slam next year wouldn't be at all surprising to me. He knee will be FULLY healthy. A grand slam would tie Jack lol.[/quote]

Next year is the most favorable I can remember for Tiger. All four majors will be played at par 72 (assuming Whistling Straits is set up similarly to 2004). That's always the focus point for Tiger's chances in a major, or should be, what par they play to. The media never emphasizes it enough, for whatever reason. Tiger's win percentage at par 72 majors is phenomenal, then drops off at par 71, and far below normal at par 70. I always thought -- and posted on several sites -- that Hazeltine would be a very close finish for Tiger because the par 72 favored him but it was somewhat offset by the 600+ par 5s, and Tiger hadn't demonstrated frightening form in majors this year, allowing the rest of the field just enough hope.

Tiger will catch Jack and pass him, but I doubt the pace will continue after he's beyond 18. Normally that's what happens in sports, the biggest and most important career records take so much dedication and mental strain to overcome that once you're over the mark you significantly tail off.

I remember posting on this site in the past month or so that I wouldn't mind a large Korean presence on the PGA Tour, for the simple reason they wouldn't gag whenever Tiger stuck his name on the leaderboard after 36 holes. I'm beyond astonished that has not been a major theme tonight on this message board, or on Golf Channel or elsewhere, that it was a Korean who held up. The Korean women repeatedly demonstrate they can finish off an event, regardless of which one is in contention. All day yesterday and during today's final round I projected that trait to Yang, and wasn't surprised one fraction of a percent that he held up. It's hardly a myth that the typical PGA player wilts to Tiger down the stretch. The media tries to deny it but today was a prime example. Tiger tried his typical even par to -2 Sunday strategy while leading a major but for once an opponent wasn't going to allow that to equal a waltz, and Tiger faltered a couple of times late when he was pushed.

I may have made a strange comment in another thread recently, stating Adam Scott actually qualifies as underrated at this point (I'll stick with it, regardless of this week), but an alltime boneheaded choice was the Golf Channel viewer question last night, when they asked, "Which will happen first, Tiger losing a 54 hole lead or Tiger coming behind to win in a major after 54 holes?" I couldn't stop laughing when I saw the consensus, 74% saying Tiger would come from behind first. Let's see, you had opportunity for the other outcome to prevail one day later, with Tiger up by only two shots. Otherwise you have no idea when the next chance for Tiger to come from behind will be, or if it will be a decent chance, i.e. Tiger down by a handful or less shots and few players in front of him. Even if you think Tiger is more likely to come from behind sometime soon, than lose today, that variable smack in front of you has got to dictate the choice, otherwise you're beyond clueless in terms of probability. It's like asking which baseball team will win, in a tie game heading into the bottom of the 8th. You can pick the road team any time you want, and let me suffer with the 2/1 edge in at bats.

[quote name='Redman' post='1892807' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:07 PM'][quote name='AcesAZ' post='1891958' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:09 PM']Maybe Tiger wont beat Jacks record after all. Everyone assumes it will happen yet Tiger got shut out this year. He even struggled down the stretch. No longer perfect when leading after 36 and 54 holes. Hes no longer invincible.[/quote]

One of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read all because he finally got outplayed during a final round. Do you realize what he has done by the age of 33? 33 for Christ's sake!
[/quote]

What he has done is not as important as what he is going to do. You wouldn't bet in Jack today, even with his 18. The game is changing, and it's just possible that Tiger will not find it as easy to dominate in the next 5 years.

One per year is definitely do- able. But equally difficult. A 2nd place finish in every major for the next 5 years would still make him the greatest golfer in the world, but he wouldn't be getting any closer to 18.

Probably at least 1 next year, but who knows? If he has another year like this, all of a sudden he needs to win 2 the year after. He'll be 40 before you know it, and there will be others half his age hounding him.

[quote name='golow' post='1892362' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:56 PM']Between Jack's first and last major he had 7 majorless seasons. 4 for Tiger so far. I would expect that number to exceed Jack's by the Time Tiger is done - Swing overhauls and this latest surgery have lead to the subpar years in majors.

Tiger missed good putts all day and Y.E. executed and got some serious good fortune going his way today - chip in, wiped shot held up from going off the green into the hazard by an inch, and that last shot into 18 was not aimed anywhere near the pin. No excuses, just showing how the ball bounces one way for one guy and the other direction for another. All in all - Y.E. beat Tiger no doubt.

Start a thread talking up the champ, analyze his swing etc. Some Tiger bashers are jealous, some are racist, some are just bored.

golow™[/quote]

7 majorless years between Jack's first and last majors? Try 12. I think you mean 7 between majors 1 and 17.

[quote name='redfirebird08' post='1893101' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:34 AM'][quote name='golow' post='1892362' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:56 PM']Between Jack's first and last major he had 7 majorless seasons. 4 for Tiger so far. I would expect that number to exceed Jack's by the Time Tiger is done - Swing overhauls and this latest surgery have lead to the subpar years in majors.

golow™[/quote]

7 majorless years between Jack's first and last majors? Try 12. I think you mean 7 between majors 1 and 17.
[/quote]

Oops forgot about '86 ... the only major I've seen him win and the reason I fell in love with golf.

golow(tm)

[quote name='midasmulligan2000' post='1892066' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:27 PM']Wow. Just wow. I had not realized the hatred went this deep.

So someone says he MAYBE won't win 18 and suddenly its HATRED? Wow. Just wow.

I chose a blueberry muffin over a chocolate muffin this morning. I must be a racist.

Lets see if I get this all straight...

Tiger wins one week, everyone says he's invincible, and he'll get 25 majors.

The next week, he loses, and everyone says he's a washed-out has-been also-ran who will never win another major.

Interesting.

Here's some other things I should add that people have suggested:

He needs to go back to his 43" steel shafted Cobra driver.
He needs to go back to Butch Harmon.
He needs to study S&T, MORAD, and TGM.
He needs to learn about ballflight laws.
He needs to listen to the people on here who's highest credentials are passing the P.A.T... And Tiger never got [i]that[/i] far.

What horse s***.

Here is a question

- does Tiger's career / major wins need to span as long a period as Jack's to be deemed truely the greatest golfer?

I guess I'm asking whether Jack's ability to still win in his 40s can elevate him above Tiger even if Tiger passes the 18 mark but hangs up his spurs in his mide 30s?

Ping G400 Max 10.5 degree (Ping Tour 65 R)
Titleist 913 FD 15 degree (Diamana S+ stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ 19 & 22 degree Hybrid (Stock stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-PW (NSPro1150 S)
Cleveland 588 RTX - 50, 55, 60 (DG S400)
Custom Lajosi JJ501

[quote name='Redman' post='1892807' date='Aug 16 2009, 10:07 PM']... Do you realize what he has done by the age of 33? 33 for Christ's sake![/quote]

Well, wasn't Christ himself pretty much done by 33 even after all His lofty achievements up to that age? ;) .... sorry, couldn't resist...

For Tiger not to break Jack's record 2 things need to happen:

1. His body (most likely the knee) must desert him

+

2. A young world-beater emerges and eclipses him, similar to what Nicklaus did to Palmer. From the current crop, Rory McIlroy looks like the best bet.

[quote]A young world-beater emerges and eclipses him, similar to what Nicklaus did to Palmer...[/quote]

Very good point...if that person is now on one of the Tours. I personally think that it will take more than one or two players to "block" Tiger's chances for the record.

One thing is for sure...the players under Tiger are getting better all the time, and this is his own doing.

I like the story about Paddypower (bookmakers) paying out for a Woods win early (on Saturday) - apparently £1.25 million paid out to the punters and they get to keep it even though Woods didn't win....

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

[quote]I like the story about Paddypower (bookmakers) paying out for a Woods win early (on Saturday) - apparently £1.25 million paid out to the punters and they get to keep it even though Woods didn't win....[/quote]

Probably a couple of more guys walking around in the UK on crutches today than on saturday morning...

Give me a break. He is 33 years old. He can play for the next 20 years. He just got off of knee surgery and technically has a new knee. He was off for 9 months or so. You tell me how good you would be after being off for 9 months. And if you were that good...you would be on tour.

Ye Yang didn't beat Tiger...Tiger beat himself by not putting. He sinks even a couple of those putts that burned the edge...game over.

What in the Bag
Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Driver HZRDUS X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w HZRDUS X
Callaway Rogue 5w HZRDUS X
Callaway X Forged 4-7 KBS Tour C-Taper X shafts
Callaway Apex MB 8-PW KBS Tour C-Taper X shafts
Engage 52, 56 and 60 Wedge KBS Tour C Taper X
Nike Method 001

[quote name='hokey' post='1893316' date='Aug 17 2009, 04:17 AM'][quote name='midasmulligan2000' post='1892066' date='Aug 16 2009, 06:27 PM']Wow. Just wow. I had not realized the hatred went this deep.

So someone says he MAYBE won't win 18 and suddenly its HATRED? Wow. Just wow.

I chose a blueberry muffin over a chocolate muffin this morning. I must be a racist.
[/quote]
Personally, I prefer a Banana Nut muffin myself... :D

People take it to the extreme and wish hateful stuff on a golfer for goodness sakes, just like what was done with Jack and Arnie. From name calling to threats. That's the hatred Midas was referring to. When it becomes irrational and personal, that's when it gets old real fast.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!