Ever had anyone hit into your group?

Ever had anyone hit into your group? How did you handle it? Kick it off in the bushes? Stomp on it? Bury it in the mud? Did you say something to the offender?

The most classic response I have seen, is that a member of our group took the offending golf ball and tee'd it up just where it landed. The action said "You hit into us, we noticed it, and don't let it happen again" All this without saying a word.

:golfer:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of months ago me and another single were playing a par 5. We were on the green putting out and all of a sudden a ball lands behind us and runs on the green past us. It was kind of busy that day and I had seen him hit a couple shots so it was obvious that he was a very good player. Makes me wonder if it was intenitonal because he was playing by himself and had to wait a minute or two on the tee and in the fairway. We weren't out of position though because there was a group on the next teebox when we were putting out. After that hole I guess he got fed up and headed for the back nine. My playing partner knew the guy and didn't think much of it so neither did I. Next time I think I will use that leaving the ball teed up trick (cool)

Had a kid airmail us on the 1st fairway - went past us by 50 yards. I turned around waved my arms in disgust and they didn't acknowledge us. Anyway, I walked up to his ball and stomped into the ground. What's funny is the ball was embedded halfway in the ground and when the kid got to it, he looked puzzled and played it as it was. What an idiot.

Handicap:  3

My ex-wife drilled me right in the back from the red tee box, lol. Yes, it hurt.. Yes, I was pissed... Yes she made it right later, but I still divorced her.

Driver #1: TM Aeroburner TP 10.5 °
Driver #2 TM Aeroburner TP Mini 14°
5W: TM Aeroburner TP 18°
Hybrid: TM Aeroburner TP 19°
Irons: TM Tour Preferred CB 4 - AW
Wedge: TM Tour Preferred 56° ATV
Putter#1: Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport Two
Putter#2: Scotty Cameron California Sea Mist Fastback 1/500
Putter#3: Scotty Cameron California Hollywood
Sun Mountain C-130 Red, White & Blue
Handicap 27.1

Ya its happend to me once or twice, here is the most memorable story though.... enjoy

This happened on 4th of july. The course is packed (3 groups deep on the first) tee since everyone wants to get out before it hits 110 deg. Not to blame anyone but, we are looking at a 5+ hr round, understandibly frustrating for everyone.
We do our part and keep up with the group ahead of us never getting more than 1/2 hole behind.

Behind us are 2 fathers(1 playing badly) and 3 kids(all playing) best guess ages 12-17.
We get to the back 9 and one of them just pipes one right into our 4 some (no big deal they yelled fore) we are thinking maybe one of the kids wasnt used to playing from the forward tees and really gets ahold of one or something and move on.

Three holes later on 17 short par 5 we have to wait for the green to clear since 3 of us have 195-215 left to the pin. We are standing in the middle of the fairway I am wearing my bright orange FJ shirt so I know they can see me and what do you know a ball comes screaming right by me. I turned back to the tee and put my arms up like WTF are you doing and Boom another ball comes right at me followed by some obcenities by one of the fathers. Now had I been playing with my normal group and kids not been involved I would have sent both those balls piping right back at them, but since they had kids I threw the balls into a Cholla Cactus(really nasty cactus) and moved on. The best part is this happens right in front of a marshall I look at him and say are you kidding are you going to do anything about this and he drove off the opposite direction. Although I will admit I did proceed to take my sweet time on 17 and 18 after this happend

Fast forward and the round is over I get in my car and am driving by the 18th green and see one of the fathers I stop to tell him what a great job of parenting he is doing(when he is away from the kids) and that he is doing a great job teaching his kids golf etiquette (heavy sarcasm) He blows up and starts calling me a D bag and dropping all kinds of F bombs saying we should have played faster, we had no right to be in his way we should have hit into the group on the green etc all mixed in with some nice profanity.

After some more sarcasm from me ie: jez its no wonder where your kids get their manners etc etc: I remind him that we were right with the group ahead of us for all but the last hole since we had to let the green clear. He goes on his D bag tirade again followed by some more F u's minor threats etc. Now the thought enters my mind do I really want to beat this guy down on the course :aggressive: and in front of his kids. Logic and the thought of stooping to that level prevail plus possible jail time kept me from going to town on him.

Then one of the best lines I have heard on the course comes out of him. "Just cause my kid can hit it farther than you stop your b**chn." I laughed hysterically then I ask "how much closer are the foward tees again? Not to get into a pissing match between me and baby tiger there, but there is quite a difference between 6900 and 5500 yrds not to mention the 50+ yards the white tees(and the fact we all hit hybrid or 3wood) spotted baby el Tigre on number 17 ."

He goes of on another cuss laced tirade and some threats were made, at this point I step out of the car and he took a closer look at me and proceeded to back down as I would assume the sight of a 6'2 200+ pound guy getting out of the car and walking towards him gave him a little dose of reality. Well thats why I have never gone back to Dove Valley. I like the course but if I run into father of the year again I just dont know what would happen

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

If it's the first time they hit into me and the ball rolls close, I just look at the ball and don't mind them.

If it's the 2nd time, then I give them a look.

If it's the 3rd time, I give them a look and talk to them when they are on the green.

If they keep doing it, then I contact the club house.

If the group behind just hit their tee shot and lands on the green, while I'm still putting, I give a thumbs up.

I was playing at a course I don't often play, it's a hot, still day. Par 4, 322 yds, flat.

We are putting out when a ball slams into the green, runs 6 inches to the left of the cup and through the green, stopping in the first cut. I look around to see which idiot has done this to us and I see 2 guys on the Tee Box! We finish up putting and the guy arrives in his cart full of apologies, says he's never hit a drive past 280 yards in his life, but he has just got a new driver and has spent the winter doing the P90X program.... I was impressed LOL.

Don't know if he has ever knocked one that far since, but he did buy us all a beer after they finished the round.

[quote name='naj959' post='1916912' date='Aug 27 2009, 02:17 AM']One Putt Blunder: you should of totaly pounded that guy into the ground. You would have been doing those kids a favor by teaching them what happens when you act like a d*ck wad like their father :vava: . Just reading that post gets me all fired up :diablo: .[/quote]
i agree, people like that cannot and will not be reasoned with. i wish i were OPB's partner...i would have gotten out of the other side of the car and i'm 6'5" and 235 pounds. LOL

Many times.... today! First hole a young (maybe 12 yrs old) kid 100 yds out almost takes me out as I am walking off of the green. He is a single and we are a foursome. No wave, shout of sorry, anything. I give him the evil glare and go to the next tee box, we had to wait. I guess he felt chagrined because he didnt come to the green and we played ( I was gonna let him play through and make a comment then) Anyway he catches up to our foursome on the next to last hole because its getting dark we tell him to join up with us. Purely on accident he blade/shanks one right at my head as I am waiting for him to pitch onto the green. At that point I had to laugh and ask if he was out to get me. He was young so I approached it in a humorous manner. I would not have been so nice to the turd who hit my ball in my fairway on the second hole. What a day.

Trust me the thought of beating this guy down and making him cry like richard simmons after hearing a sobbing big girl describe her "glandular problem" definately crossed my mind. I have been in one fight on the course and thats one too many in my book. The fact was it was the 4th of july and I had a Bbq that I wanted to get to. Plus hanging out with good looking girls in bikinis and having a few cold beverages was way more appealing to me than spending the afternoon in jail. Although the thought of this a** clown writhing on the ground in pain was appealing I thought I would be the bigger man and have no regrets over not pounding on him.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I think anyone who has played golf more than a couple of years has been hit into, and has hit into groups. And we're talking groups on your own hole.

I think it all depends on the situation. I think it's absolutely ridiculous to nearly come to blows with someone. I've accidentally hit into a group when I couldn't see them, I've also hit into a group when they were out of range, then started driving back towards me as the ball is in the air. I've also rolled one up on a drivable par 4.

Thankfully I've never had anyone airmail me. Many times had the ball roll up. The one that gets me is that when the first guy on the tee does it, then you motion to them that you're in range, and the 2nd guy fires one past you. Had that happen a couple of times.

that is why people should YELL fore! I have many balls roll pass me and I see the guy just standing there as if he is waiting for someone to take his fking picture! but what do you expect when they don't yell fore? however, there is nothing I can do and I just let it go and play my round of golf. I don't want the guy pulling a gun out on me or something for buring his ball into the ground.

now if I yell fore and you guys just stand there like "duh" then, hey you better not touch my ball.

[quote name='wilwin' post='1916862' date='Aug 27 2009, 12:16 AM']My friend once hit into a group in front of us. It was a blind spot and we didn't see them. By the time he gets to his ball, he sees a big "4" written on the ball. I thought it was a nice gesture that served its purpose.[/quote]
I think this is another real good way to handle the offense "With class".

If you bury the ball or kick it off the course, the offender will never know that he messed up to the extent that he might of hurt someone.

These are some "good ones" Thanks everyone for replying to my new topic.
:golfer:

I accidentily "hit into" a group while playing at twilight a few weeks ago. I just finished on a par 5 by myself and a group of 3 guys teed off on the par 4 ahead. I got to the tee box when they were about 50-70 yards down the fairway walking. I yelled that I was going to tee off and they started walking from the middle to the cart path/trees on the right.

I hit my driver 175 yards past them and to the far left of the fairway and when I got up to my ball one of the guys came up huffing and puffing yelling why I hit into them. I told them I just yelled that I was teeing off and watched them walk out of the way we then hit our approach shot to the green. When we got to the green he was still pissed even though I apologized and told him I thought they asked me through before I hit.

The douchebag then hits my ball from the fringe (hitting it 6" fat and nearly taking a chunk out of the green) into a pond and we had some words ending with him threatening to throw all my clubs into the pond.

Thankfully I was able to just walk off but I had a few thoughts of wrapping a 5 iron around someone's neck. I NEVER hit into people on purpose and you'd think after a sincere apology most people would realize it was an accident and relax.

First time I get hit into, hey, no big deal. Mistakes happen - maybe the fellow behind me really got hold of one, maybe he did not see me, heck, maybe he accidentally hit it on his practice swing :D:D:D (hey, I've done it...)

Second time the same group hits into me, I've always just set the ball on a tee and left it teed up there. I've played golf and caddied for a long time and I can remember every time I've done this, it is quite rare.

There has never been a third time. I can't imagine where some of you guys are playing - some of these stories are just crazy!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

About 2 months ago I was walking off 18 and got drilled in the back of the head...it knocked me out for about 30 seconds or so and I when i woke up, I was on the ground ... half way on the green and half way off! When I fell, I cracked two ribs when I hit the ground ... the guy who hit me got to me about the time I woke up and was standing up with the help of my friend that was playing golf also...my friend was mad! I was to but when I saw the guy, I felt sorry for him... he was white as a sheet and shaking all over...he said, "I thought I killed you!" Turned out, he was a fairly new player , etc. I was upset but felt the best thing was to forgive him... he said he was never going to play again and I told him to not think like that...just wait until people are off the green when you hit, etc. In 30+ years of golfing, that is the first time I have been hit...Bob

I've played for 22 years now, so I've been on both ends on several occasions, but IMO the funnest incident did not involve me or my group. I was playing in front of a father-son pairing and a senior couple behind them hit close to them on a fairway, not into or past them, but close to them. Maybe about 15-20 yards short, but definitely close enough to notice. The father is flipping out and cussing and yelling from the fairway and jumps into the cart, son in tow, and drives back to the couple. Since I'm walking the same direction on the next fairway I can see the entire confrontation - the seniors are trying to apologize and the guy is completely off his rocker (in front of his son who can't be more than like 12 years old). I kept going so I didn't see the rest, but according to a course marshal, the guy shoved the senior guy a few times and was rewarded by a swift senior flex driver to the head. Cops were called and the guy and his kid were kicked off the course, but the old couple resumed play shortly after. Not saying the old guy was in the right, but that's how it played out.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I just did some hitting to today. The twosome in front were playing from the back tees and drove it about 150 yards (50 yards straight, 100 yards to the left). Their next shot and all subsequent shots was about 20 yards. My drives were spot on today, so I just decided to hit into them, actually, hit over them. I sprinted up to my ball and hit my next shot. I think they were wondering where I came from, because by the time they got back to our fairway, they had this confused look on them on how I got ahead of them. By the time their balls got to the green, I was already walking towards my ball after the tee shot on the next hole.

Our group hardly gets hit into but it has happened on a few rare occasions.

Once we were trying to find the ball in the rough, just walking around and all of the sudden we hear the sound of a golf ball hitting the roof of the cart. No "FORE!" or any other warning from the group in back of us. Let's just say the person who hit it never found his ball again. :D

We had a lady in the group behind us hit her shot to the green while we were putting out today.We all just stopped what we were doing, turned, and stared at her for a minute. She quickly sat back down in her cart. The next hole, I had already blown up and just wanted to get it over with, so I was standing off to the side of the green waiting to hit my chip. My buddies were in their cart off the fairway just about in the landing area for most tee shots, and the same group behind us decided to tee off. The hole after that, we had already hit our tee shots to the green (par 3) and they had air-mailed the green from the previous hole, into the middle of the "fairway" on the par 3. When they came over the hill to hit their shots, I loudly said "I think this would be a perfect time for them to apologize for hitting into us TWICE in 2 holes". They never said a word. Didnt even look over. I said it more than loud enough for them to hear. But, they stayed well back after that, and never hit another shot anywhere near us.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple months ago, a guy airmailed the green on a 165y par 3, and one-bounced our cart. We were parked on the path waiting to hit off the next tee, in about the only spot we could be in, and at least 30y behind the flag, all the way on the other side of the green. No 'fore', even though it was anything but blind. In fact, I gave the guy on the tee a thumbs-up ( using a different digit ) and he saw that just fine. We were still there when he arrived, and I said "The word is fore." He said, "Whut?" I repeated it for him, and his response was "Well, you don't have to flip somebody off."

I said, "If you can see my finger from 195 yards, you can see that ball heading for us, so next time, yell." He left the course and I was glad.

In stark contrast, a few holes later, a guy and his kid drive up in a cart, and the father announces, "My son has something he needs to say." Silence. Elbow nudge. More silence. Sharper elbow. Mumbles 'sorry about that'. Father explains that he didn't mean to hit into us on the last hole... which we hadn't even noticed, it was so far away.

Just when you think golf courses are full of scumbags, someone comes along and reminds you otherwise.