What Do You Do When You Are Playing With a SLOW Golfer

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have a chat with them. Along the lines, "hey mate, we are holding everyone up, lets see if we can pick it up a bit. You know we can speed it up by just getting a bit more organised, walk to your ball if we're not in each others way, make your club selection early and be ready to step up and hit it when its your turn".

Doesnt always work with some people as they are just a shambles, masses of practice swings, putt out first and arrive at the next tee last with their glove in their pocket, still carrying their putter, cant find a tee and still insist on taking the honor, because thats the rules/ etiquette . But many get it with a bit of coaxing. So far I have only had one a** that has spat the dummy about playing order, not being in front of whoever is hitting even if it is 50+m away on opposite sides of the fairway.

1) I walk...if the course is slow whatsoever, I always walk...then again, I walk 80% of my rounds anyway

2) I'll allude to the fact that things are backing up behind us. If that doesn't work, say, "hey, why don't we play ready golf to speed things up a bit." If he still doesn't get the clue, I'd just have to tell him straight up that he's slow!

Once, me and my partner got hooked up with two guys who were clueless. We were the final twosome in our skins game. After many gentle reminders, the clueless twosome stopped for hot dogs at the turn, we said "see ya" and ditched them. Ironic part is that we were walking, and these guys were in a cart.

We kept on playing as just a twosome and easily any caught up to the rest of our group. The twosome we ditched finished about an hour behind us, with a boatload of jammed up golfers behind them.

I've come to the conclusion that slow players don't ever think they're slow. Ever.

I'm not sure what the solution is. I love our Saturday skins game because we have the third through eighth morning, standing tee times. The two tee times in front of us are fast players as well. A normal walking round is easily accomplished in 3 1/2 - 4 hours. Several times a year we'll play other 9. Talk about rolling the dice. The people who get those 11:30-12:30 tee times are usually the slowest players on the course.

35-SlowGolfr.jpg

X________________________________ Sign Here

I have 2 slow players in my 20 man match play league. Slow is being polite, these two play like glaciers. All I can do is try to focus on my own game but it's difficult to get into or maintain any semblance of rhythm. We play foursomes with two individual matches in each. Sometime it can be as long as 10 minutes between my shots. Very frustrating.

I use golfnow alot and go as a single so I occasionally get stuck with extremely slow players. In some instances if we are holding up other players I have called the pro shop and complained about my own groupsecret.gif so the Ranger comes out and tells us to get moving. If the course is wide open I usually say I have an appointment at a certain time and sorry but I am playing on without them.

As the lower handicap in the group (usually but not always), one of my obligations is to make sure the group is keeping pace. If we are not keeping up, I will try subtle hints like mentioning it looks like it is backing up behind us speeding up my play so that they are forced to keep up with me. If that fails to motivate anyone, I will directly tell the group we need to get moving faster and if we don't we will let the group behind us play through on the next hole. Usually that gets their panties in a bunch and they pick it up since apparently you lose your manhood if someone plays through you.

Normally I don't like to watch other people play but I know that if I don't keep an eye out for where there ball went, we will spend time looking. Even in the edge of the fairway since a lot of people just hit it and don't watch it right to the end and mark its location. I will explain to them that they need to watch it all the way and why. Watching them whack it around from 3 feet when you are behind is frustrating to the group and the group waiting. I will either pick it up or hit it back to them. A quick, "That's good" and the flag goes into the hole.

Sometimes you just have to explain to them simple things about where to place your bag/cart and where to mark the score so that it saves time and steps. You don't have to be rude, but you do have to be assertive and let them know how to play faster and why it is important.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I fully understand that every now and then for whatever reason, any of us can have a slow hole..... but I have found that there are just certain people who are SLOW period..... not matter what I say or do to try and speed things up....it just doesnt work....

and what I find is that those SLOW players generally know they are slow.... and simply no matter what any of us say or do.... they DONT CARE.... they think since they paid they have the right to play as they want.....

and I'm not talking about the new golfer who you have to help find a golf ball for.... to me, thats simply part of the evolution of the game.... and I don't mind helping a newbie who finds the rough more often then not find their golf ball.....

what I find is that the SLOW POKES generally all went to the same SCHOOL.... meaning.... they re-address the ball EVERY time.... they check and double check things over and over..... they change clubs, often after not bringing but one club to the ball anyway.......they way over read a green- a thousand times........and the one that really draws a chuckle from me is when they try to make everyone WATCH THEM HIT THEIR BALL.... then after each hole....its like they have to record all their stats, and its not like its just on a scorecard...... they have their own card for sure.... but then they have every other gadget known to mankind and must record data on those devices before they will dare step out of cart or onto tee box.....

yep... then when they do finish with all the data recording..... they will walk to tee box and access the hole....walk back to cart and grab a club....go back to tee and re-access then want to lecture about how they are going to course manage the hole....only to go back and change clubs and start over.......

yep.... I mean the real SLOW players that live in their own bubble.....and no matter what the rest of us say or do....we aint going to invade their bubble.... no how no way.....

I played with a young man that would chip on from short of the green and then leave his pushcart and walk to his ball to putt out. The first few times I went and brought his cart up to where it should have been (on the closest route to the next tee) and hoped he would catch on but he didn't. So on the 8th hole I told him that the cart was like his girlfriend at nightclub. Take it with you wherever you go and never let it get more than a few steps away from you. I didn't have a problem after that.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='jaskanski' date='02 March 2010 - 03:45 PM' timestamp='1267562746' post='2288397']
If it's one slow guy in a group, just play to your own pace and leave him behind. He can either get his act together and catch up or fly solo back to the clubhouse.
[/quote]

This is a perfect solution.

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

[quote name='GARCIA STR8' date='02 March 2010 - 03:59 PM' timestamp='1267563541' post='2288441']
[quote name='jaskanski' date='02 March 2010 - 03:45 PM' timestamp='1267562746' post='2288397']
If it's one slow guy in a group, just play to your own pace and leave him behind. He can either get his act together and catch up or fly solo back to the clubhouse.
[/quote]

This is a perfect solution.
[/quote]

Rory Sabbo got a lot of flack for instituting this policy! (There were witnesses in his case though.)

My son, my oldest, used to do the "when are we going to get there???" on trips in the car. It was simply to be annoying as he'd start five minutes after we took off. One day I told him, "your brother used to ask that a lot..." He paused a moment and said, "I don't have a brother." To which I replied, "you used to, but he'd get on my nerves in the car, keep an eye out because I think this is just about where I let him out..."

I glare, pointedly, at slow partners. I then mutter a bit and look beseechingly at the heavens, silently imploring that the moron will be taken by the rapture momentarily. Failing that I welcome the chance to follow them into the woods to search for a ball. Normally they regain consciousness after I'm about four holes ahead. Seems to work, although I've found that a wedge is a better tool than a fairway wood; what you give up in length you gain in weight and accuracy...

Too, one of my regular foursome, lowest handicap of the lot by the way, can be slow. I suggest he's been watching too much golf on tv and that, last I checked, the purse for this event was non-existent. I suggest he speed up or I'll have three drinks after the round, even though I get vicious after the second. Again, it works.

I like the feedback..... but unfortunately .... no matter the looks, the conversation, or anything I have been able to say or do.... seems to change the SLOW players....

again, I'm not talking about the guy who gets behind once in awhile.... I am talking about the player who lives in his own world....

what I have found.... the more I try or anybody else tries to speak to person about them holding EVERYONE up.... the more callus they become and more defiant they are

I will tell you what I have done.... and so far it seems to have worked the best for me.....

you see....what I have learned about these SLOW players....is they really want to do things there way..... so you have to get them out of their routine

now, I guess this would only work if riding in cart with them....

but what I did.....

I would after teeing off....no matter whose ball was further away.... I would simply split the balls, stop the cart....get out....grab a bunch of clubs- figuring if I was short of green, if it was a layup or what not.... I would grab my clubs, start walking and tell the SLOW POKE....take the cart and I will meet you at the green.....

trust me.... THEY HATE IT..... they would much rather have you captive with them.... they then have to take cart....and at this point, they have no excuse what so ever... they cant even remotely act as if they are waiting on your for anything.... plus the fact, I have found that these slow players love to tell you all about each of their shots, and club selection and everything else.....

after I do this for a couple holes..... I have found that these slow players hate it so much that they tend to want to jump out of cart and grab clubs and leave me with the cart.....like its going to bother me....I find that they simply just want to control the whole golf game and group.....

once they jump out and grab clubs... I love it... I speed off and play my game, only now without having to walk and carry clubsyahoo.gif

and believe me..... this tends to speed them up and they hate it....

[quote name='Futurestraderbc' date='02 March 2010 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1267567565' post='2288642']
I am telling you if there are ever other golfers waiting behind you call the clubhouse and complain about your group like you are another group. It has worked for me plenty of times.
[/quote]

the only problem with this.... I have never really found clubhouse/marshals to have much of a impact on slow golfers..... they come and say something to them....but then they simply seem to ride in there carts and watch, without really doing anything else......

[quote name='BP5168' date='02 March 2010 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1267565550' post='2288538']
I inform the slowpoke we need to hurry because I have a date with Lorena Bobbit and I dont want to make her angry at me.
[/quote]

You inspired an alternative idea:

Inform the slowpoke that you heard that Ms. Bobbit is two groups behind and she doesn't seem at all happy with him!

[quote name='Futurestraderbc' date='02 March 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1267567565' post='2288642']
I am telling you if there are ever other golfers waiting behind you call the clubhouse and complain about your group like you are another group. It has worked for me plenty of times.
[/quote]

I have called the Marshall on my cell to report my group before. I was teamed with them and thought it wiser to put the squeeze on them using a 3rd party without them getting upset with me. Sometimes you have to know when to shutup and bring in the enforcer.

Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
MCC Align Midsize

Slow players - what to do:

1. I tell them we are falling behind and our goal should be to catch up with the group infront. (Be blunt! I can't stand slow play so I speak up. Say, "this is embarrassing, we're way behind, let's try to catch up to those guys ahead of us.")
2. Don't do anything to slow them down and encourage them to hit when ready. Do not talk when it is their turn to hit - especially do not ask them a question. (These guys tend to take forever to tee off on each hole as they are usually talking when they should be hitting.)
3. If walking - I set the pace by walking fast. One trick I use is when I have the honor; after I hit, but before he does, I will strap my bag on and as soon as he hits I'm off to the races.
4. Make sure to watch where they hit it. Slow players are notorious for not watching their poor shots. Then they can't find it. (They will pose and closely follow a good shot though!)

The situation I dread the most is getting paired with slow players in a tournament. Our State golf assoc enforces a pace of play policy. I like having a policy but - to keep this post short - all golfers in the group can be penalized - even if it wasn't your fault. (There is an appeal process.) I've been in groups a few times that have been warned at the turn for slow play because some of my playing partners were beyond grinders on every shot. It does make it very difficult to play well under those circumstances. I do believe the fact that we have a policy, and that it is enforced, has kept slow play to a minimum in those events. Because I play fast, I like it enforced. All you can do is pray for a good pairing.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

[quote name='socrates' date='02 March 2010 - 03:40 PM' timestamp='1267562449' post='2288387']
I played with a young man that would chip on from short of the green and then leave his pushcart and walk to his ball to putt out. The first few times I went and brought his cart up to where it should have been (on the closest route to the next tee) and hoped he would catch on but he didn't. So on the 8th hole I told him that the cart was like his girlfriend at nightclub. Take it with you wherever you go and never let it get more than a few steps away from you. I didn't have a problem after that.
[/quote]

Can't wait to use this line this Spring!

One thing I am not accused of is tippy toeing through the tulips when something needs to be said.  Where that might different from what's said here and else where on the Internet - I will say what needs to be said to someone's face.  If that doesn't speed the person up, I am not above phoning the pro shop and see what if anything they will do.  If nothing works, I walk that much slower and enjoy another cigar.  Then I have no excuse for that stinky bogie.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX